Ac B-787 Arrival May 18Th

inchman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inchman... First off, Congratulations!.... :) Nice to have a new machine at all, let alone such a beaut! I would like to have been still around to get to know her.

I'm wondering what you've been told about APU ops? Are there any mentionable changes to it's general handling?

Thanks, Mitch, :biggrin2:

We have a note that the APU will be started for every arrival and left on. Maintenance will assess the quality of the ground power before shutting it down.

This airplane likes clean electricity.

So i assume that transport Canada has it as an official type rating.

A couple months ago I enquired about transferring a foreign 787 rating onto my Cdn ATPL and the response was TC has yet to have a 787 endorsment available.

I was also asking them about the like type rating of it - many nations are providing it and the 777 as a like type.

Can anyone who is driving this at AC comment ?

Cheers

SB

Was the 787 certified by the FAA as a common type with the 777? I thought I read somewhere that it was considered but in the end there were too many differences and so Boeing withdrew the application.

Not sure, but rumours are AC B787 will be in CYYC on June 15, as part of the new runway opening celebration.

Looking forward to a chance to check it out.

Great. Thought it was to open on 28 June??? Maybe its been changed.

OVERVIEW

runway-development.jpgThe new Runway will be YYC's fourth runway and will be constructed on airport land between the Air Terminal Building and 36 Street NE. Construction on the runway began on April 4, 2011 and is scheduled to be in service on June 28, 2014.

Great. Thought it was to open on 28 June??? Maybe its been changed.

OVERVIEW

runway-development.jpgThe new Runway will be YYC's fourth runway and will be constructed on airport land between the Air Terminal Building and 36 Street NE. Construction on the runway began on April 4, 2011 and is scheduled to be in service on June 28, 2014.

Runway opens for use on June 28, Open House type events and runway walk are planned for June 15th I believe.

http://yycrunway.com/

"You’re invited to help us celebrate the opening of Canada’s longest runway at YYC on June 14 and 15, 2014"

Dear Calgary: It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! (or so I've heard anyway). ;)

KLGA - 25 million passengers/year and 370,000 movements from a 2 7000 foot runways,

CYYC - 13.6 million passengers/year and 240,000 movements with 3 runways; 12,675', 8000', and 6200'.

Plus the fact that KLGA is closed from midnight - 6:00 AM while CYYC is a 24/7 operation.

Seems to me that the growth at the airport could have be handled with better procedures, a couple of extra high-speed exits and a few more controllers.

The first guy on the forum that doesn't have to divert to YEG because there's an aircraft stuck in the intersection blocking both 16 and 28 will certainly be happy that there's another runway there.

Also, this gives them the opportunity to close the old 16 for long term maintenance (which it's going to need at some point) without having to cancel all overseas operations.

(Probably have the runway numbers wrong).

If you need a long runway for day to day operations, having only one is not a good long term plan.

seeker, RE: LGA

They would probable give their eye teeth for a longer 3rd runway.

I've spent a lot of time on taxiway DD waiting for my turn.

No doubt about that, I've spent lots of time waiting for T/O clearance too. My point was that poor use of the existing infrastructure is/was a contributor to the "need" for a new runway.

The first guy on the forum that doesn't have to divert to YEG because there's an aircraft stuck in the intersection blocking both 16 and 28 will certainly be happy that there's another runway there.

Sure, but does the increase in cost to the airport users exceed the cost of a diversion once in a blue moon?

Don't forget, a big part of the reason for the runway length at CYYC is due to the 3557 ASL elevation. Combine that with summer temperatures.

I fondly remember the "overspeed" takeoffs on the B767.

Point well taken about KLGA and traffic numbers.

I'm sure the Canadian controllers are just as frustrated as the pilots wrt to moving tin, a la the US , but as Nav Canada says, we have the safest system in the world.

Archived