Ac B-787 Arrival May 18Th

inchman

Just to get away from the negative vibes of the "Delays" thread...

There is an AC employee "arrival party" planned on the 18th at the YYZ hanger. Haven't seen the official announcement yet, but have seen a poster requesting volunteers to direct attendees. Each employee can bring up to 5 guests.

In-aircraft training (circuits) starts on the 19th, some YHZ turns, then the first overseas flight planned to ZRH on the 25th.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to get away from the negative vibes of the "Delays" thread...

There is an AC employee "arrival party" planned on the 18th at the YYZ hanger. Haven't seen the official announcement yet, but have seen a poster requesting volunteers to direct attendees. Each employee can bring up to 5 guests.

In-aircraft training (circuits) starts on the 19th, some YHZ turns, then the first overseas flight planned to ZRH on the 25th.

Pretty exciting time for you inchman. Being the front runner on a brand new type is pretty cool, somewhat less so when the inevitable teething problems happen but still a once in a lifetime experience for most of us. I've had a couple of tours of the 87 and I have to say, the front office looks like an awesome place to work.

Enjoy the ride.

Dave

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-welcomes-its-first-dreamliner/article18643753/#dashboard/follows/

The Globe's ramping up the coverage. Also some neat time-lapsed video on the assembly of the first aircraft.

Air Canada has had little growth in its wide-bodied airplane fleet for 12 years, which has contributed to significant market share loss, Mr. Smith said in an interview in the boardroom of Air Canada’s Toronto office, where he urges a visitor to examine a model of the 787 that graces one corner of the room.

He ticks off a list of European cities that competitor Air Transat effectively took over because of lower costs. The Toronto-Tel Aviv flight, where a 787 will replace a 767-300ER (extended range) provides an example of the difference the plane will make.

At the moment, the flight takes 12 hours, more than the 11.5 hours crews are allowed to work. So Air Canada had to take out 20 seats to make space for the pilots and flight attendants to rest. That means the current plane offers just 191 seats instead of 211.

The 787 that will fly to Tel Aviv has 251 seats. The new planes are 20 per cent more fuel efficient than the 767-300ER models they replace.

YYZ-TLV is a good route for the 787-8, right at the very max range of the 767-300ER westbound IIRC, so much so that occasional technical stops were required to add fuel. And cargo load has been suboptimal because of the range, and YYZ-TLV is historically a good yielding cargo route. (Will even carry cargo from Australia and New Zealand into TLV). That's a 31% capacity boost along with a cargo RTM improvement and lower fuel cost. YYZ-HND and YYZ-NRT are other routes at the very edge of the 767-300ER range, a virtual impossibility without a reduced payload, so the 787 capacity bump will translate nicely here, too, but I think the really plane, the true game-changer for AC, will be the 787-9. The way the Globe story is written, one might assume AC is only ordering the 787-8, but not true. It's a split. The last annual report had the split at 15 787-8 and 22 787-9, with the first of the latter due in July 2015.

Conflicting information.... I got a crew newsletter from the Chief Pilot today that said that 802 arrives on Jun 12 and 803 arrives mid-July. It's possible that the info that you have is a half a cycle out of sequence. I heard a while ago that the first couple of weeks of HND would be operated by other equipment because there was a lot of pressure to start using the slots that AC had acquired.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1357655/air-canada-s-dreamliner-touches-down-in-toronto

Some film of the event

Pretty good PR work, AC had all the networks there, the Globe was onboard from Everett, going to be on all the news and there has been lots in print already. It's better PR than Boeing deserves for the myriad ways this first plane was delayed. I think the order was placed nine years ago.

All the right people on hand, including ACPA's good friend Lisa

https://twitter.com/lraitt/status/468134147567783936

I'm glad someone reminded her of the slow clap era... not forgotten!

Very smart of her to bring her kid.

Regardless, pretty cool looking machine!

post-5264-0-27600300-1400546830_thumb.jp

Some sort of V.I.P. / media event happening with the 787 this morning... news trucks were pulling in as I left the hangar this morning...

First hangar rash? :icon_butt:

There was no damage to the aircraft (803) except for some paint. The incident occurred about 6 weeks ago.

Heard a lot of "further delays" at the event the other day, but these are just people talking about delays that a lot of people already know about.

Current delivery schedule for the next 2 fins is June 17th (flying training flights in YYZ on the 17th) and early July (with flights starting mid-July).

There was no damage to the aircraft (803) except for some paint. The incident occurred about 6 weeks ago.

Heard a lot of "further delays" at the event the other day, but these are just people talking about delays that a lot of people already know about.

Current delivery schedule for the next 2 fins is June 17th (flying training flights in YYZ on the 17th) and early July (with flights starting mid-July).

Any idea when we'll see one in YVR?

Not sure if you're talking about just seeing one or a crew base for one, but I would imagine that during the first couple of weeks of any of the deliveries the aircraft will be doing some PR trips to various cities before it gets committed to sked destinations.

As far as a crew base goes, sounds like YVR-Tokyo (not sure if it's HND or NRT) and YVR-Shanghai are in the cards later this year. It would make sense to have some crews in YVR to operate those flights if they will be going daily, IMO, but it might also make sense to keep some control on the operation at one base for the first little while.

Archived