New Poll

Seems to me that our main forum is creeping ever more away from topics dealing with Aviation so how about we put a new forum in place entitled "Aviation Topics"? If agreement is reached, I will move the most recent (3 or 4 months) dealing with Aviation into the new forum. I would appreciate your comments. Please cast your vote in the poll. Thanks Marshall

Had to 'look' for the poll but did find it ... :biggrin2::biggrin2:

http://theairlinewebsite.com/topic/408194-new-forum/

Torn between "Yes" and "no" ...the reason being is that the vast majority of posters on this forum are present and past members of the aviation industry and although we do drift off the aviation subject occasionally, it is rather interesting to see how 'most' aviation enthusiasts think, whether it be aviation topics or other news items.

Have not voted yet....will think about it. :closedeyes::biggrin1: (when does the poll close??)

I'm of the same opinion as Kip...I know there are a few non-aviation contributors but with expertise that is definitely related. In some ways, this site, (an old friend, btw), mirrors the kinds of conversations that go on between aviation folk - we're not silent on long-haul trips or on layovers! I doubt if the hangar floors and lunchrooms are any different, :)

I can recall some great discussions with my early (forgiving) captains on the DC9 during the Trudeau I era and subsequent. We talked taxes, social policy, immigration, travel, airline ops, and even SOPs and "events" in the industry and so on, just like we do here now. But when an aviation topic of interest to all comes up, we're there, with opinions, with experience and a 'way' of talking aviation as others might about their own professions.

Discussions around here range from Aviation to business to politics and beyond. All of these intersect Aviation at some point.

Look at the discussion Re: Porter and the island.

Business - Porter

Politics - Tripartite agreement

Aviation - Self Explanatory

Sometimes there is a drift from the main topic but in all the topics are related to some degree. If a topic arises that is truly Off Topic it is usually identified as such (OT).

I did vote but having read Kip and Don's posts I may have to rethink my vote.

This is the only aviation industry forum I know of that isn't heavily redacted by moderators who are risk averse to the extreme. As has been said, we don't just talk aviation when we are at work. Please don't change it, we're all capable of separating the wheat from the chaff.

14 of the current top 20 are not aviation related. I can get news and current event opinions elsewhere. I prefer direct aviation topics here.

Voted and I have to agree with acsidestick. The courtesy "OT" advisory previously used needs to be revised to "on topic".

I personally get enough discussion on politics, religion, finances, etc with my extended family and friends who range in age from pre-schoolers to seniors at 94. No shortage of topics and opinions.

Did I mention opinions?

However, as the only airline employee in my extended family, aviation related discussions rarely occur. I know.....how is that possible? :(

There seems to be a definite AEF trend here with topics posted by currently employed and those who are retired from the airline/aviation industry. I enjoy any "aviation related" post from either group but if it wanders too far "off topic", you have lost me.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I am one of those "non-aviators" but with a strong connection. I understand why this issue has been raised. There are some who hold VERY strong opinions on certain subjects and appear to seek every opportunity to express those opinions---repeatedly. That can needlessly offend.

On another forum and when dealing with a similar issue, the moderators created a "technical" forum and a "sandbox" where non-boating issues were debated.

Aviation-related covers a LOT of ground. I don't think kicking religious debates to "the sandbox" would create a schism.

I voted earlier (there had only been 3 votes cast) but only have the chance to comment now. I voted NO as I too like the extra little tidbits. I have not and do not read every thread. Some aviation topics I find uninteresting. Some non-aviation topics I find very interesting. Many times a link to an aviation related topic can be made.

Bottom line, if you don't have an interest in the thread topic, don't read it! (...not exactly rocket science [aviation related sub-comment]...)

Not sure what problem this solution seems to be searching for ;). A daily logon yields a maybe a dozen or so threads (on a busier day) either started anew or continued. Is that sufficient volume to justify an additional forum?

FWIW, I'll toss out an alternative: If a thread is too far afield to be accepted as "aviation-related", by whatever standard that might be, the Moderator can affix an "OT" to the heading if the thread-starter failed to do so. In fact, this could be applied at any time, & either on or off, if thread-drift carried the discussion OWOTO.

Long-time readers, going back to the JW days, may recall somebody writing up a little essay on "The AEF Bar". DonH also hints at the feel of this 'place', like a F/D or layover conversation. Nails it. Why dick with it? JMVHO

IAC, I voted no. :) - Cheers, IFG :b:

I am also not in favourite of changing the format, but If it is going to be changed, instead of having a separate aviation forum, why not have a separate forum for political discussions? Those threads tend to attract more polarizing and heated debates, whereas aviation and other topics are usually more easy going and informative.

cp fa: I could go with that, I wonder how many others would. It would clear up the clutter. Sounds like something you should suggest on the remarks area of the Poll perhaps with a suggestion that the poll be modified to include that option.

This is the only aviation industry forum I know of that isn't heavily redacted by moderators who are risk averse to the extreme. As has been said, we don't just talk aviation when we are at work. Please don't change it, we're all capable of separating the wheat from the chaff.

x3

The only posts that should not be allowed are personal attacks. Let people put down politicians but not the posters. And keep it fair - first a warning then ten day suspension and then a life time ban for repeat offenders.

Let us decide if we want to waste our time discussing left vs. right or Jesus vs. Allah or speed vs. altitude.

There's a difference between an open forum and a democracy. At the end of the day we are all just guests (or is that passengers? :)) who converse on line thanks to the generosity of our hosts. If they want to repaint the living room, there's not much we can say. At least they asked. On PPRuNe or AvCanada, they'd just change it.

The proposed forum has been activated but will remain empty, unless people start to post to it, until the poll closes. Once the poll closes the forum will either stay or be deleted. So please cast your votes. At present there is little interest in the topic from the large majority of members and silence can always be assumed to be consent :biggrin1:

"silence can always be assumed to be consent :biggrin1:"

Is that you Bill Cosby? ;)

This subject has been brought up in the past, and the answer has always been an overwhelming no, so I'm not sure why you asked if you were just going to do it anyways. I do wonder about thread drift though, if an aviation topic turns political, does it get moved to the other forum? There is already a separate AME forum that gets very little traffic. For me and my extremely slow internet, another forum just means more waiting for pages to load.

Archived