Malaysia 777 Missing

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copy-paste this one into your browser: "bit.ly/1ds9Ij4". This was the original link from AMSA that led to the dropbox which is the address above. If you don't trust this one, (I didn't initially but tried it and it worked) just use Duck-duck-go or some other browser, (if you want to avoid using Google) to (ed) You'll have to search the media now conehead - nothing on that link either. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation yet - it may be just another false lead, maybe not - it's like looking for a buried dime in a major-league baseball field.

Here they are:

i-FZ6tHHr-L.jpg

i-hST5Xbt-L.jpg

Very good summary on the pings from an INMARSAT Sr. Vice Pres: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/20/satellite-company-official-speaks-out-on-tracking-missing-jet-after-it-lost/

Also a great summary on sat pings at http://tmfassociates.com/blog/2014/03/15/understanding-satellite-pings/

I particularly like the way the gentleman from INMARSAT handles the FOX talking head who is trying to increase the drama. It was on FOX News that the comment regarding the theory of a super-natural connection with the disappearance was made which prompted CNN to get in on the act in their battle for market-share and ratings:

Media CNN’s Ratings Surge Covering the Mystery of the Missing Airliner

By BILL CARTER

MARCH 17, 2014

. . . .

But it is CNN, the cable network that has been scrambling to find a sustainable business model against its main competitors, Fox News and MSNBC, that has perhaps invested most heavily in the mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

(image: CNN’s Martin Savidge, in a flight simulator, discussed how to turn off a Boeing 777 transponder.)

“It is a tremendous story that is completely in our wheelhouse,” said a senior CNN executive, who asked not to be identified defining the network’s strategy for its coverage. CNN’s ratings soared last week and over the weekend, rising by almost 100 percent in prime time. The network even managed the rare feat of edging past Fox News for leadership in several hours.

Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, the CNN 8 p.m. program, hosted by Anderson Cooper, beat Fox’s perennial ratings giant, Bill O’Reilly, in the audience that attracts the most revenue for news channels, viewers between the ages of 25 and 54. It was the first time Mr. Cooper has ever topped Mr. O’Reilly in the group for three straight days. (Mr. O’Reilly still won the week in that category.)

CNN also won the 25-to-54 age group from 2 p.m. through 10 p.m. on Saturday, and initial numbers from Sunday indicate the network again led across many of the hours of the day. This is only the case among the specific demographic group preferred by news advertisers; Fox News, as it always does, dominated in terms of total viewers.

“It’s an incredible mystery full of human drama, with an international element,” the senior CNN executive said. “Anything international plays into our hands because we have more reporters to deploy all over the world.”

But the executive acknowledged this was not really a story where reporters have been able to advance the known facts much. Instead, it has been fueled by a lot of expert analysis based on the little verifiable information that has been available, speculation about what might have happened to the plane and where it might be now, accompanied by all the visual pizazz the network can bring to bear.

That has been highlighted by extensive reliance on the reporter Martin Savidge sitting in a flight simulator in Ontario, Canada, as well as the reporter Tom Foreman walking across an animated map of the region displayed on the floor of what CNN calls its “visual room.” At one point the anchor Don Lemon used a toy model of the plane to illustrate a point being made by one of CNN’s aviation experts. During another interview, Mr. Lemon raised the question of whether something otherworldly happened to the plane.

“Especially today, on a day when we deal with the supernatural, we go to church, the supernatural power of God,” Mr. Lemon said. “People are saying to me, why aren’t you talking about the possibility — and I’m just putting it out there — that something odd happened to this plane, something beyond our understanding?”

Cont'd at http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/business/media/cnns-ratings-surge-with-coverage-of-the-mystery-of-the-missing-airliner.html?_r=0

The massive popularity of this kind of bogan six-pack phenomenon isn't lost on the networks. It is what happens when common sense and using one's brain to sort out apparent "mysteries" of life is replaced by Dark-Age beliefs. Gary Larson's cartoon about the "Bozone Layer" comes to mind.

This kind of aren't-accidents-great-for-business thinking which focusses on ignorance and finance reminds me of the view widely expressed in the US at the time that the Exxon Valdez oil spill was a positive thing for the U.S. GNP.

There's a reason my British friend calls it "Constant Nonsense Network".

Dirty Laundry

I make my living off the Evening News
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It's interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry!

Don Henley

I'm a bit puzzled, this video from the Sydney Morning Herald has an interview with an RCAF pilot from a reconassiance flight, but I haven't read of any RCAF a/c involved in the search?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-floating-debris-spotted-by-chinese-satellite-image-20140322-35ap6.html

Also, some new reports mention two commercial a/c involved in the search?

I'm a bit puzzled, this video from the Sydney Morning Herald has an interview with an RCAF pilot from a reconassiance flight, but I haven't read of any RCAF a/c involved in the search?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-floating-debris-spotted-by-chinese-satellite-image-20140322-35ap6.html

Also, some new reports mention two commercial a/c involved in the search?

I think he is an RCAF exchange officer.

Apparently there are two biz jets helping in the search. Not sure what country they are from. The photos on CNN looked like Gulfstreams.

I'd like to know why it took the Chinese four days to release these latest satellite photos. The debris sizes appear to be large enough...perhaps center section fuselage and a part of a wing?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/22/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Here's a wonderfully-optimistic view from a Scottish author who's piece was carried in The Guardian. The notion of "lost worlds" once held magic, while today it may be seen as "pleasantly naive". In a "village" it is hard to be "lost". Still...

"If only we could hope that MH370's passengers really were safe in Shangri-La

James Hilton's 1934 novel Lost Horizon told of a plane that disappeared in the east without trace, but turned out to have landed in a remote paradise – giving us the idea of Shangri-La. The world was still big enough to get truly lost in then..."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/21/if-only-we-could-hope-mh370-shangri-la

Would be nice if that could happen. I can't imagine what this has been like for the families.

If it was safely parked someplace you'd think one person might have tried to make a cell phone call by now.

Would be nice if that could happen. I can't imagine what this has been like for the families.

If it was safely parked someplace you'd think one person might have tried to make a cell phone call by now.

...or a ransom demand made. Given all the misinformation at the beginning of this horrible event, maybe that's already happened behind the scenes. I hope so, because it is the one slim chance any or all of the passengers & crew are still alive.

Could this be similar to the Aloha 737 in 1988 where the fuselage broke open after levelling off at cruise altitude? There is currently an FAA AD on the 777 to inspect SAT antenna installation for cracks. One airline has reported finding cracks in this location on a 16 year old 777. In the Aloha case, the aircraft was operated in coastal humid areas and the NTSB determined metal fatigue above the forward galley plus corrosion were the cause. We know from the Asiana crash how much a 777 can take before it gives up. Perhaps this airplane flew along without anyone awake or alive until it finally ran out of fuel?

After making the 90 degree left, it made three more turns exactly over FMS RNAV waypoints. Impossible to do unless programmed to do so. Someone made it go the wrong way. Why, we don't know yet, but it didn't wander anywhere, it went right where it was told to go.

After making the 90 degree left, it made three more turns exactly over FMS RNAV waypoints. Impossible to do unless programmed to do so. Someone made it go the wrong way. Why, we don't know yet, but it didn't wander anywhere, it went right where it was told to go.

Can't agree on impossible and no one is sure if they were exactly over the waypoints. Lots of airways and waypoints in the area converging into/out of nav aids. Not hard to hit a few random ones without even trying.

Sometimes LNAV and VNAV can only do so much and then it fails.

From the Aloha incident.....

No unusual occurrences were reported during the take-off and ascent. Around 13:48, as the aircraft reached its normal flight altitude of 24,000 feet (7,300 m) about 23 nautical miles (43 km) south-southeast of Kahului, Maui, a small section on the left side of the roof ruptured with a "whooshing" sound. The captain felt the aircraft roll left and right, and the controls went loose. The first officer noticed pieces of grey insulation floating over the cabin. The door to the cockpit was gone so the captain could look behind him and see blue sky. The resulting explosive decompression tore off a large section of the roof, consisting of the entire top half of the aircraft skin extending from just behind the cockpit to the fore-wing area.

Igari- 110 degree left turn, fly straight long time. Vampi- 120 degree right turn for several minutes. gival- 90 degree left turn for an hour till passing igrex. No further plots or contact with radar but 6 more hours of pings after igrex.

Igari- 110 degree left turn, fly straight long time. Vampi- 120 degree right turn for several minutes. gival- 90 degree left turn for an hour till passing igrex. No further plots or contact with radar but 6 more hours of pings after igrex.

If you were suffering from hypoxia due to a catastrophic event/loss of pressurization or overcome by toxic fumes and were only able to type in a few known waypoints to return to a safe area, how well would you do? Would you get the correct sequence? Would you do it thinking you're not going to pass out.....again? Not going to freeze to death?

Reports are now saying the aircraft turned left and descended to 12000'. Not sure of the MSA in that area but I can check next week on my flight to KUL. To me this sounds like the crew were trying to turn back because of a serous event. And then it all went bad.

Perhaps the falling object on fire (note: Malaysia has stated that Lithium Ion batteries were in the cargo hold) witnessed by the two Thai fisherman and the NZ oil rig worker were the part of the airplane that went in the opposite direction. Sometimes it is hard to judge distances a night. For example, I once saw a flaming streak across the Midwest US sky one night and thought it was a military tanker on fire with someone connected. That's my best description. It wasn't falling like a star...it was just cruising along like an airplane in level flight and it looked really close to us. Everyone on the same frequency was calling it out. The next day on the radio driving home I heard it was a Russian satellite the size of a Cadillac. It was several miles higher than us.

I believe the Captain on this flight was a pilot's pilot. He loved his family, his job and his airline. He played 777 sim on his days off to keep up his skills. And on his other days off he flew RC model planes. I know lots of pilots but hardly any of the ones I know do either hobby. But most pilots will do their best to solve or rectify a problem. It's the nature of the beast and part of the job. I've watched it hour after hour sitting behind crews in the sim.

The media and talking heads up to now have pretty well ruined this pilot's 23 year career without a thread of evidence. Better him than the airline or Boeing I suppose. Malaysian is getting hammered by Air Asia and Cathay. Prior to this their long term forecast was not good.

I can't recall the details, but not too long ago an AC flight flew low to allow it's crew and passengers the opportunity to find a lost vessel. Would it be feasible for airlines to allow their aircraft to overfly this area and attempt to find wreckage? As a passenger, I'd welcome the diversion.

Unfortunately I don't think its a commonly flown route. They'd probably just get in the way anyhow.

Everyone seems to be slowly coming forward with help. NASA is re-aligning satillites to view this area of the Indian Ocean. A deep water unmanned sub used to find the Air France A330 is also on standby. The US Navy now has their latest 737 in Perth which is loaded with high tech search equipment. And today CNN is reporting the Chinese crew spotted two large objects and a debris field. A Chinese ship is enroute to the area.

I know of another event where Air New Zealand allowed a 767 to help search for a lost American pilot ferrying a crop duster to Auckland.

It appears CNN has purchased seat time in a fixed base 777 sim located just west of YYZ. The American reporter has been discussing the amount of time it apparently took for the missing aircraft to make its mysteriously big left turn. I guess his host sim instructor (who appears not to own dress shirt or know how to insert buttons into button holes) hasn't mentioned the rate one turn concept because the reporter thinks two minutes was far too long to complete this maneuver.

After taking the CNN tour in Atlanta last year, I think I have to give myself a good shake.

It appears CNN has purchased seat time in a fixed base 777 sim located just west of YYZ. The American reporter has been discussing the amount of time it apparently took for the missing aircraft to make its mysteriously big left turn. I guess his host sim instructor (who appears not to own dress shirt or know how to insert buttons into button holes) hasn't mentioned the rate one turn concept because the reporter thinks two minutes was far too long to complete this maneuver.

Lots of discussion about this on the Air Canada pilot's forum - apparently some of our 777 pilots have "flown" this sim and report that it flies nothing like the real aircraft. No surprise really since it's not affiliated with Boeing or CAE in any way. The twit in the left seat is doing a great disservice to all pilots with his moron answers, comments and demonstrations. There are several different videos that have been done and most of them show such ridiculous handling technique - it's embarrassing. Can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't have at least put the guy in a dress shirt and/or introduced him to a razor but maybe it's for the best since no one will confuse him with an actual airline pilot.

Lots of discussion about this on the Air Canada pilot's forum - apparently some of our 777 pilots have "flown" this sim and report that it flies nothing like the real aircraft. No surprise really since it's not affiliated with Boeing or CAE in any way. The twit in the left seat is doing a great disservice to all pilots with his moron answers, comments and demonstrations. There are several different videos that have been done and most of them show such ridiculous handling technique - it's embarrassing. Can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't have at least put the guy in a dress shirt and/or introduced him to a razor but maybe it's for the best since no one will confuse him with an actual airline pilot.

I think this company found someone's used FBS and are trying to sell flight time to corporate groups. I guess laser tag or hanging off the top edge of the CN tower doesn't do it anymore.

Malaysia Airlines: Mississauga flight simulator stars on CNN

Thu Mar 20 2014 - Toronto Star

Oakland Ross

He’s 33 years old, he works in Mississauga, and now he’s famous — sort of.

He is Mitchell Casado, the guy with the hipster facial hair who handles the controls of an unofficial Boeing 777 flight simulator while CNN reporter Martin Savidge delves into a seemingly endless succession of aeronautical intricacies that might — or might not — shed light on the mystery of what happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

'The Mississauga facility can be rented for as little as $150 an hour, whereas access for 60 minutes to an authentic Boeing 777 simulator might cost upwards of $15,000'

Okay, that clarifies that - AC's sim is not involved, thank goodness.

So, it's not a real sim and is mainly used for "children's parties and entertainment", he's not a transport pilot flying for an airline and he's not checked out on the B777. As quoted in the story, the gentleman doing the job finds, "It's great...long hours but rewarding" but the story says nothing about what has actually happened here which is the loss of all on board.

It's very hard to respect or even take seriously, news based upon this kind of work.

Archived