• Last Reply

Regarding Negroni's theory and statement,

Using known and inferred details and previous similar events,
I conclude that the Boeing 777 lost pressurization while at
cruise altitude and that the crew emergency masks did not provide
the pilots with sufficient oxygen under pressure affecting
their ability to think properly. They steered the plane back
towards Malaysia until they passed out. Then the airplane flew
on auto pilot until running out of fuel.

http://www.ctpost.com/living/article/Excerpt-from-The-Crash-Detectives-by-10633783.php#, tenth paragraph down

Her "conclusion" and argument is illogical. The problem is in the claim, ". . . affecting their ability to think properly. They steered the plane . . ."

If they were sufficiently aware to turn around for Malaysia, they would have had to have been sufficiently aware that there was a problem. If they were aware there was a problem then they would have been able to troubleshoot and/or execute an emergency descent or at least communicate. The Helios B737 accident crew continued without crew action, so is not a supporting example for Ms. Negroni's theory for the turn-back. In short, both statements cannot be true.

Perhaps she provides details later on the maintenance issues with the oxygen system. I wasn't aware of any difficulties but they may be on record somewhere online.

The rest of the theory rests upon this turn, and there is still no rational explanation, (that I am aware of), other than the intentionality of the turn by the crew.

Re:

Around the time that things started to go wrong on
MH-370, there was a loss of satellite communication
that lasted for an hour or more. The most likely
cause is a total loss of power on the airplane, but why?

What "satellite" communication? At the time, wasn't MH370 using VHF communication for ACARS and ATC? And wasn't the engine data being transmitted to RR, that INMARSAT eventually used to plot the search area, transmitted only once per hour and so was logically "silent" for an hour?

Besides, there is no more basis for this conclusion, (total power loss), than there is for other explanations for loss of satellite signal or any other electrical functions.

I think there are better theories out there.

Thanks DEFCON - I gave it a quick read and it just didn't read like someone who knew what they were talking about.

J.O. - rats, I should have made that clear - apologies...got carried away in the writing. No, never thought you were endorsing, only providing information. Heaven knows there's tons of mis-information out there about this accident, by those who want to make a name and a buck. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

The following article in

NYMag.com

by Jeff Wise, is IMO a fairly balanced insight into where the current search is going.

Nowhere!

You will find within the article a link to the latest ATSB / CSIRO reports on the matter, and a recommendation to search an area further to the NE of the agreed area. However, neither the Malaysian, Chinese or Australian governments have agreed to further extend the search area.

Archived