Travel during the continuing PANDEMIC

Air New Zealand Re-Routes North American Flights So Crews Won’t Have To Overnight In LA Or San Francisco – CBS Los Angeles (cbslocal.com)

Air New Zealand Re-Routes North American Flights So Crews Won’t Have To Overnight In LA Or San Francisco

California’s COVID-19 situation is so bad, Air New Zealand will re-route its North American flights so their crews can overnight in Honolulu, rather than Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Starting Monday, all of Air New Zealand’s cargo flight crews traveling to the United States will overnight in Honolulu. Flight crews on the airline’s passenger flights will be routed via Honolulu starting on Feb. 2.

The airline says one set of crews will fly between Hawaii and California, while another set of crews will fly the route between Hawaii and New Zealand. Re-routing Air New Zealand’s North American flights allows its employees to overnight in a lower-risk destination, the airline said.

“While it’s important to keep trade routes open and passenger services operating for our customers, looking after our people is our first priority,” Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Greg Foran said in a statement.

New Zealand has had one of the best responses to the COVID-19 pandemic in the world and has had fewer than 2,200 total cases since it began.

Transport Canada backtracks on policy forcing 2-year-olds to mask-up on planes

Children aged 2 to 5 no longer have to wear a mask onboard if they're unable to tolerate it

Sophia Harris · CBC News · Posted: Jan 09, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
According to Transport Canada, children between the ages of two and five no longer have to wear a face mask during air travel if they can't tolerate it. (Shutterstock)

Transport Canada has quietly raised the mandatory age for children wearing face masks on planes from two to six years old. The move follows at least two public incidents where toddlers were kicked off domestic flights for not wearing a face covering. 

Back in April, Transport Canada mandated that air passengers aged two and up wear a mask when travelling, to help stop the spread of COVID-19. 

Under Transport Canada's new revised regulations, now children from ages two to five don't have to mask-up if they're unable to tolerate wearing one. 

However, parents must still bring a mask onboard for their child — even if the child is likely to reject it.

Transport Canada said that it revised its rules on Nov. 10 in response to "updated guidance" from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), which followed new World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations. 

The WHO advises that children younger than age six not be required to wear a mask "based on the safety and overall interest of the child and the capacity to appropriately use a mask with minimal assistance."

According to its website, WHO published its recommendations on Aug. 21 — more than two months before Transport Canada revised its rules.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Airband said:

Senior bureaucrat overseeing border and travel health accepted Air Canada junket to Jamaica

Thu Jan 07, 2021 - The Globe and Mail
Robert Fife - Ottawa Bureau Chief

A senior public servant at the Public Health Agency of Canada accepted an all-expenses-paid holiday to Jamaica courtesy of Air Canada Vacations in November, even as her agency has been advising Canadians since March to avoid non-essential travel to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Dominique Baker, the acting manager at PHAC’s Office of Border and Travel Health, flew with a friend to the upscale, all-inclusive Royalton Blue Waters resort in Montego Bay in mid-November.

Ms. Baker, who bills herself as a beauty, fashion and travel influencer on her off-work hours, posted a video a few hours after she arrived in Jamaica, calling the hotel suite with its own infinity pool “mind-blowing – whoa.”

“One of our two butlers is bringing us our pina coladas right now. No, we are not kidding – we have two butlers,” she says in the video. “Thank you, Air Canada Vacations. We are beside ourselves.”

Ms. Baker’s husband, Ryan, is also a senior civil servant. He is the director of strategic communications at the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and previously served as director of infectious disease, risk and emergency communications at Health Canada.

The manager at a government office which has been telling Canadians to avoid travel for 10 months takes a free trip and then boasts about it on her blog!?  Seriously, if you wrote that into the plot of a movie or book it wouldn't be accepted.

The politicans who got caught at least had enough sense to try to hide their activities.  Baker, apparently, didn't even think she should try to hide it.  With decision-making skills like that you have to wonder how she gets through her day.

1 hour ago, seeker said:

The manager at a government office which has been telling Canadians to avoid travel for 10 months takes a free trip and then boasts about it on her blog!?  Seriously, if you wrote that into the plot of a movie or book it wouldn't be accepted.

The politicans who got caught at least had enough sense to try to hide their activities.  Baker, apparently, didn't even think she should try to hide it.  With decision-making skills like that you have to wonder how she gets through her day.

The politicians did not try to hide it, and are about as bright as this shining star.

Posts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook by many involved is what lead to all this.

• Thanks 1

The Canadian Press logoFeds change sick-leave benefit, applicants required to say if they travelled

OTTAWA — Anyone applying for three federal benefits will now need to say whether they are in quarantine because they travelled outside the country.

© Provided by The Canadian Press
The Canada Revenue Agency announced the new requirement following an uproar over the possibility of Canadians applying for the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit after ignoring public-health advice to not engage in non-essential travel.

The sickness benefit pays $500 per week for up to two weeks for anyone who has to quarantine because of COVID-19.

The CRA says it was intended to help frontline workers and others who may have been exposed to the illness but whose employers do not offer paid sick leave.

The new requirement will apply to anyone applying after Jan. 3 for the sick-leave benefit and two other federal support programs, the Canada Recovery Benefit and the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit.

The CRA says it will delay processing applications to those programs from Canadians who have travelled until new legislation taking aim at non-essential travellers can be adopted.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 11, 2021.

The Canadian Press

image.png

Canada-U.S. land border closure extended to Feb. 21

Published Tuesday, January 12, 2021 11:44AM EST

TORONTO -- The COVID-19 travel restrictions in place at the Canada-U.S. land border are being extended for another month, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on Tuesday.

Trudeau confirmed that the current border restrictions will now remain in effect until Feb. 21, 2021. He said this "important decision" was taken to keep citizens on both sides of the border safe as COVID-19 cases continue to climb in Canada and the United States.

"Our focus since the start of this pandemic has been protecting you and your family. Whether by procuring vaccines or by bringing in strict travel and border measures, our priority is your safety," Trudeau said.

U.S. to require negative COVID-19 tests for arriving international air passengers

From CP24 News – link to source story

Air travelers process through a security check point at Love Field Airport in Dallas, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2020. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

David Shepardson, Reuters | Tuesday, January 12, 2021 10:26PM EST

WASHINGTON, Jan 12 (Reuters) – Nearly all air travellers will need to present a negative coronavirus test to enter the United States under expanded testing requirements announced on Tuesday.

Seems it applies to what we used to call "Transborder" also.

Air passengers entering U.S. must have pre-arrival negative COVID-19 test

jill-croteau-headshot.png?w=136&h=136&cr
By Jill Croteau  Global News
Posted January 13, 2021 5:59 pm
 Updated January 13, 2021 6:12 pm
WATCH: On the heels of mandatory testing requirements for air travelers coming into Canada, new rules have been announced for those bound for the U.S. As of Jan. 26, travellers will need a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding. Jill Croteau reports.

As an actress and filmmaker, Carolyn Bridget Kennedy divides her time between Calgary and Los Angeles.

Jetsetting between the two cities may have seemed enviable pre-pandemic. Balancing her career and her personal life with her husband means adapting to the evolving air travel requirements.

“I think our life is going to be a lot of quarantining,” Kennedy said.

Self-isolation and testing are going to have to become part of her routine. Effective Jan. 26, all travellers heading from Canada into the U.S. need proof of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours before boarding.

Carolyn Kennedy.
Carolyn Kennedy. Jill Croteau/Global News

“It’s going to be extremely challenging for me. To go, I’m facing 10-day quarantine and with the new test 72 hours before you fly is added in. Every time I fly, I’m going to be waiting on that test to take that flight,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy is used to the pandemic reality. She’s directed entire films over Zoom and has been vigilant when working on set locations.

“I was on a film set in November and there was testing beforehand and outdoor eating and we were all six-feet apart, all goggles and masks and I had a COVID parasol,” Kennedy said.

Ichor testing kit.
Ichor testing kit. Jill Croteau/Global News

Ichor Blood Services is a private lab specimen collection company. Mike Kuzmickas, president of the Calgary-based business, said traveller demand for their COVID tests is huge.

“It’s become the international standard. Anywhere across the border, you’re going to need to show a test,” Kuzmickas said.

Because Alberta Health Services doesn’t offer asymptomatic tests, Ichor saw a need for the business.

“Travellers come in on a Tuesday, get [the] test done, get results by Wednesday afternoon and catch a Thursday or Friday flight,” Kuzmickas said.

Ichor offers testing onsite at their locations and just launched a remote test you buy before you fly, priced at $225.

To avoid cheating, they’ve made the test virtual and it has to be verified by a witness online.

“The health-care system has a finite number of resources, and the government has to prioritize to test symptomatic,” Kuzmickas said. “If you’re just curious or you want to send your kid to a hockey camp, that’s something we can’t strap the public system with. You want to go to Hawaii. Taxpayers can’t be paying for that.”

It’s not known how long these testing rules will be in place but health experts stress it’s not intended to be for your pandemic vacation. They are still recommending against non-essential travel.

“ I knew there was a nugget of goodness buried somewhere in the destruction wrought by COVID-19. 

Praise heaven, after thirty long and noisy years, CNN Airport News is going off the air. That’s right, effective March 31st, those infernal gateside monitors are shutting down. In a year with almost no positive news whatsoever, this one gets a gold star. 

Few things are more offensive than those yammering hellboxes, hung from the ceiling in every nook and cranny of the concourse, blaring twenty-four hours a day. There is no volume control, no power cord, no escape. Not even employees know how to shut them up (I’ve asked). This isn’t a knock against the content of CNN or any other channel (I’ve been a guest on the network many times). It’s simply a plea to be left alone. Maybe if the damn things weren’t so pervasive I’d feel differently. But they are. You can’t get away from them. They took a somewhat useful idea and vastly overdid it, aggravating untold millions of people in the process.

At one point, some well-intended folks came up with a device called TV-B-Gone, a kind of universal remote that hooked onto your keychain and would silence the “chattering cyclops”* with the push of a button. They mailed me one, and lo and behold it worked… until CNN caught on and installed a blocking device. All hope seemed lost “ 

CNN-Airport-News-Black-683x1024.jpg

And the intent was what? Three decades of noise pollution masquerading as “news” has not kept passengers entertained or better informed. What it’s done is make an already stressful and nerve-wracking experience that much worse. So, good riddance. If it were up to me, the day those TVs fall silent would be declared a national travel holiday. Let us gather ’round the podium and savor the quiet. For once: quiet.

Maybe. I hate saying it, but this feels a touch too good to be true. Those monitors and their wiring comprise an awful lot hardware, and, much as I’d love to watch it happen, I just can’t envision it all being torn out and thrown away. Will another network swoop in and take over? Fox? MSNBC? CNBC? The Trump Travel Channel? I sincerely hope not. I know those things help pay the bills, but there has to be a better, more civilized way. Fingers crossed

https://askthepilot.com/shorttakes/cnn-airport-news/?fbclid=IwAR0O63AOfYUnKMP3CIaHSxB0bMMMdLKehPKEhfXohKBYoMHiYHMBtshBt44

Covid: UK to close all travel corridors from Monday

The UK is to close all travel corridors from Monday morning to "protect against the risk of as yet unidentified new strains" of Covid, the PM has said.

Anyone flying into the country from overseas will have to show proof of a negative Covid test before setting off.

It comes as a ban on travellers from South America and Portugal came into force on Friday over concerns about a new variant identified in Brazil.

Boris Johnson said the new rules would be in place until at least 15 February.

A further 1,280 people with coronavirus have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive test, taking the total to 87,291.

The latest government figures on Friday also showed another 55,761 new cases had been reported - up from 48,682 the previous day.

Meanwhile, more than two million people around the world have now died with the virus since the pandemic began, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.

Speaking at a Downing Street press conference, the prime minister said it was "vital" to take extra measures now "when day by day we are making such strides in protecting the population".

"It's precisely because we have the hope of that vaccine and the risk of new strains coming from overseas that we must take additional steps now to stop those strains from entering the country."

All travel corridors will close from 04:00 GMT on Monday. After that, arrivals to the UK will need to quarantine for up to 10 days, unless they test negative after five days.

Mr Johnson, who said the rules would apply across the UK after talks with the devolved administrations, added that the government would be stepping up enforcement at the border and in the country.

Travel corridors were introduced in the summer to allow people travelling from some countries with low numbers of Covid cases to come to the UK without having to quarantine on arrival.

Trade body Airlines UK said it supported the latest restrictions "on the assumption" that the government would remove them "when it is safe to do so".

Chief executive Tim Alderslade said travel corridors were "a lifeline for the industry" last summer but "things change and there's no doubting this is a serious health emergency".

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said it was the "right step" but called the timing of the decision "slow again", adding that the public would be thinking "why on earth didn't this happen before".

This link will take you to a list of the communities that are UK Travel Corridors. Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

image.png

Looks like Canada may be next

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-who-travel-outside-canada-could-be-stranded-abroad-trudeau-warns

Canadians who travel outside Canada could be stranded abroad, Trudeau warns

“We could be bringing in new measures that significantly impede your ability to return to Canada at any given moment without warning.”

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Looks like Canada may be next

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-who-travel-outside-canada-could-be-stranded-abroad-trudeau-warns

Canadians who travel outside Canada could be stranded abroad, Trudeau warns

“We could be bringing in new measures that significantly impede your ability to return to Canada at any given moment without warning.”

Well, Mr. Prime Minister....the best way to curtail the recent surge in theft is to cut off the left..no...right hand of the offender. And tear down the houses of the immediate and related families. That will stop the buggers!!

Lord...protect me from substitute teachers and their mentors!

Speaking of which...and it has nothing to do with "Covid mitigation measures"..... 

I was just told a story of an FA at AC who radioed the Capt at the initiation of takeoff out of LHR to abort. He went wayyyyyyy out on a limb because of a pax's insistence that she had a bag tag on her ticket that was not hers. The pax explained that when she and two companions were checking in, two men with an elderly lady approached and asked that they keep an eye on their grandmother who didn't have any experience in retrieving baggage. The agent assumed the elderly lady was with the pax and put her baggage tag on the ticket of the pax. On board and upon realizing that, the pax notified the FA. And...most importantly....the FA had the gumption to respond.

The flight was parked away from the terminal in a position of safety and all baggage offloaded. The elderly woman was NOT on the plane.

The common folk will never know what was in "her" bag.

And so I asked; " What recognition was given to that FA for his/her courage?" and was dismayed to hear..."None!"

Just another day in the life, I guess.

• Sad 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, Kargokings said:

I wonder how many other carriers will adopt this policy.

I gave blood yesterday and had to take off the cloth mask that they previously had given me and had to put on the new disposable one.

As I returned to my car I noticed the dozens of masks 'disposed' in the parking lot.

27 minutes ago, Fido said:

I gave blood yesterday and had to take off the cloth mask that they previously had given me and had to put on the new disposable one.

As I returned to my car I noticed the dozens of masks 'disposed' in the parking lot.

Just proves that people who litter are still stupid

Feds mull mandatory hotel COVID quarantine as 50,000 cancel trips

'Public Health Agency of Canada figures show 153 flights have arrived from outside Canada over the last two weeks on which at least one passenger later tested positive for COVID-19.
Transport Canada now requires people flying into the country present a negative test result conducted within 72 hours of boarding a plane. Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Friday 50,000 tickets for international travel have been cancelled since the new rule was announced on Dec. 31.'

The federal government is looking at options that would make it harder for people to return from foreign trips.