Travel during the continuing PANDEMIC

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Re the Government requires, surely you mean, in order to continue to enjoy the benefits of being of our health coverage etc. you have to meet certain minimum criteria and therefore as you posted previously have to return every 30 days ......  I can understand that but surely now that things have evolved I guess you may be making your next return the last (in other words staying in Canada) until the restrictions are again changed? Sort of 

Ottawa to address loophole allowing quarantining travellers to access sickness benefit
Raisa Patel  43 mins ago

The federal government says it's "actively looking" at options to address a loophole in the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit that could see returning travellers receive up to $1,000 for missing work due to quarantine requirements.

"The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit was never intended to incentivize or encourage Canadians to not follow public health or international travel guidelines. We continue to strongly urge all Canadians to avoid non-essential travel," Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough said in a media statement Saturday.

"The purpose of the CRSB has always been to provide workers with a paid sick leave option where one might not be available through their employer, so that workers did not have to choose between going to work and putting food on the table."

Residents of Canada can apply for the benefit if they're unable to work for at least half of their scheduled work week because they have tested positive for COVID-19 or are isolating due to the virus. Applicants are not eligible for the CRSB if they have already received paid leave for their absence. 

Those who meet that criteria and several other requirements are eligible for $500 per week — or $450 after taxes are withheld — for a maximum of two weeks.

The government has approved more than 450,000 applications for the CRSB since its September launch.

The benefit is now under fire from critics who say pandemic aid could flow to Canadians completing their mandatory 14-day quarantine after returning from personal vacations and other non-essential travel.

After the loophole was first reported by La Presse, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole called on the Liberal government to immediately clarify who is eligible for the funds. 

Bloc Québécois Leader Yves‑François Blanchet and transport critic Xavier Barsalou-Duval have said the criteria amounts to the government rewarding travellers for flouting public health guidelines by leaving the country. 

image.png

21 hours ago, mo32a said:

If you can't restrict a Canadians right to travel, how did the Maritimes close their borders to everyone?

I would like to see the restrictions, negative test, quarantine, put in place for domestic travel as well.

And close all provincial borders to recreational travel, commerce only allowed.

You can pound sand with your suggestion. 

23 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Driving is a "privilege". Really?

Yes.  It is a privilege granted by the province which can be revoked at any time for cause.  It is not a right.

42 minutes ago, boestar said:

Yes.  It is a privilege granted by the province which can be revoked at any time for cause.  It is not a right.

Boestar...I'm not trying to "one up" but a "privilege" is something enjoyed by an individual or group denied to others.

The ability to operate a motorized vehicle on public roadways is enabled by licence.

There are limited grounds upon which a licence can be rescinded or denied. In the absence of proof otherwise, a person is ENTITLED ( has a right) to insist upon issuance and that right will be enforced.

Legal Matters-Your driver's licence is a privilege, not a right

Thursday, April 16, 2015

As a citizen of Ontario it is your right to apply for and eventually obtain a driver's licence, however this licence is a privilege to keep.

It is given upon completion of the specific tests, and graduating through the graduated licensing program. Now, with passing this process and obtaining an

? Malcolm....YOU....of All people! I'm shocked; shocked I say.

I am absolutely confidant that you looked up the meaning of the word "privilege" but selectively chose a website that is tailored to "persuading" the general public as to the importance of adhering to laws.

"Membership has its privileges". No member of the public has a right to enter the University Club. That privilege is restricted to members.

I don't really care, to be honest but it IS Sunday. The right to operate a motor vehicle upon a public highway is conferred by license. If one fulfills the conditions required for such licence, that person has a right to the license. By definition....that is NOT a privilege.

One can consider the phrase "privilege by birth" to better appreciate the difference between license and privilege. Or, if so compelled, sympathize with the BLM "movement" and acknowledge "white privilege".

Hey!! There's a game on. Au revoir!

37 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

? Malcolm....YOU....of All people! I'm shocked; shocked I say.

I am absolutely confidant that you looked up the meaning of the word "privilege" but selectively chose a website that is tailored to "persuading" the general public as to the importance of adhering to laws.

"Membership has its privileges". No member of the public has a right to enter the University Club. That privilege is restricted to members.

I don't really care, to be honest but it IS Sunday. The right to operate a motor vehicle upon a public highway is conferred by license. If one fulfills the conditions required for such licence, that person has a right to the license. By definition....that is NOT a privilege.

One can consider the phrase "privilege by birth" to better appreciate the difference between license and privilege. Or, if so compelled, sympathize with the BLM "movement" and acknowledge "white privilege".

Hey!! There's a game on. Au revoir!

And here I thought I was supporting your position.    

As a citizen of Ontario it is your right to apply for and eventually obtain a driver's licence, however this licence is a privilege to keep.

Malcolm....you still up? Not much interested in Wash vs Phil so....

The Quarantine Act is long-standing federal legislation. The Lt.Gov. in Council promulgates regulations under the Act and there have been a number of revisions since last Spring.

Certain persons are, pursuant to reg., exempt from the Quarantine provisions. Excluded persons include, for eg., health care providers and persons engaged in essential business.

I have not yet accessed the Reg regarding PCR testing but I wonder.....if a person engaged in essential business is exempt, who is going to make the decision that he/she does NOT require a negative test? I assume that on check-in, one would produce the required test result if not exempt. But why would AC accept responsibility for determining the validity of a claim for exemption?

I also wonder who is to bear the expense when John Doe gets the requisite test but his flight is cancelled. He got the test 72 hours before his scheduled flight but his flight was pushed back a day. Now what? He can't get a test before the re-scheduled flight and his original test is now no good.

Do you not think there are going to be problems with this ill-advised and ill-considered requirement?

It is not enough for someone to say; " Well....you were advised not to travel!!"

One thing I learned during my time in government is that if a citizen meets the conditions of issuance for any authorization or document, the government is duly bound to issue it. This is foundational to our system of government and there is no discretion, no matter what the MTO website might suggest. That means that as long as you qualify, you cannot be denied the certificate. That’s as close to being a “right” as one can get in this area. 

2 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Malcolm....you still up? Not much interested in Wash vs Phil so....

The Quarantine Act is long-standing federal legislation. The Lt.Gov. in Council promulgates regulations under the Act and there have been a number of revisions since last Spring.

Certain persons are, pursuant to reg., exempt from the Quarantine provisions. Excluded persons include, for eg., health care providers and persons engaged in essential business.

I have not yet accessed the Reg regarding PCR testing but I wonder.....if a person engaged in essential business is exempt, who is going to make the decision that he/she does NOT require a negative test? I assume that on check-in, one would produce the required test result if not exempt. But why would AC accept responsibility for determining the validity of a claim for exemption?

I also wonder who is to bear the expense when John Doe gets the requisite test but his flight is cancelled. He got the test 72 hours before his scheduled flight but his flight was pushed back a day. Now what? He can't get a test before the re-scheduled flight and his original test is now no good.

Do you not think there are going to be problems with this ill-advised and ill-considered requirement?

It is not enough for someone to say; " Well....you were advised not to travel!!"

UpperDeck:

IMO like a number of moves by our politicians this is just another example of a "sound good" idea dreamt up by a politician completely lacking  any standards / procedures at this time to make it work. Sadly it will make some think that they are safer because of the new requirement.  

I don't like the idea of the test at all but my point remains that if it was to work then it must apply to all modes of travel into Canada. Air, Sea, Rail and Ground Transportation. 

There are a number of problems that need to be resolved , here is a short list.

1. Is there or will there be a universal accepted document and if so who will decide that?

2. What exactly qualifies as exempt travel?  I see that "it has been deemed to be in National Interests to exempt NHL teams.  (what a farce).

- will there be a list people to consult or perhaps a document issued to those who are considered to be exempt and of course who issues that document?

- the document is to be vetted by an airport worker (airline employee, airport employee or ?) so what is the training etc. to enable them to perform this task?  Will there be a list of approved airport workers who have been trained? Are they to keep a copy of the document?

-the document is to be issued by an external organization such as a local government or professional lab in the country of departure.  Does a list exist of professional labs, country of departure (departure from the flight into Canada or perhaps the country from which the connecting flight originated from)

- what constitutes an approved document, in other words what must it contain to link it to the person presenting the document (passport number, photo id , government stamp etc.)

- language of the document?  

I see the airlines are doing all they can to handle the situation, (links are in the following article)

Updates from airlines ahead of Jan. 7 COVID test rule; IATA blasts Ottawa

From Travel Week – link to source story

Monday, January 4, 2021 | Posted by Kathryn Folliott

TW_LS_DEC30_v2.jpg

TORONTO — Canada’s airlines are providing new information to help passengers secure PCR tests for COVID-19 in the wake of the federal government’s new requirement, effective Jan. 7, that all passengers arriving in or returning to Canada must present proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours of their scheduled departure.

The new rule applies to all passengers ages 5 and up and results must be shown to airline representatives before boarding the flight.

Airlines including Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing and Transat have all posted updates to their websites with the new requirement, as well as resources to help passengers get their PCR tests done.

Here’s a list of info pages:

• For Air Canada, click here.
  • For WestJet, click here.
  • For Sunwing, click here.
  • For Transat, click here.

As the National Airlines Council of Canada (NACC) pointed out in the wake of Ottawa’s Dec. 30 announcement, Canada’s airlines have been calling on the government for months to introduce a coordinated and systematic testing regime, in conjunction with industry, “in order to avoid a rushed and disjointed rollout of testing requirements,” said NACC President and CEO Mike McNaney.

McNaney added that the Dec. 30 announcement “occurred without prior coordination with industry, and with many major operational and communication details still to be determined.”

Late in the afternoon on Dec. 31, the federal government announced that the new rule would take effect Jan. 7, and that the 14-day quarantine would remain in place.

WestJet spokesperson Lauren Stewart told Travelweek that in addition to building out the new webpage with the requirements, WestJet has also sent an email to all passengers with near-term itineraries to ensure they are aware of requirements. “We still have little detail so are doing our best to ensure our guests are aware and armed with as much information as we have at this time,” said Stewart.

Sunwing also issued a statement, telling Travelweek: “Our customers are extremely important for Sunwing. That’s why we strive to provide consistent, regular updates on the new testing requirements that are being mandated by the Canadian government, all in an effort to be transparent and ensure their experience is as frictionless as possible. We also rely on our Sunwing representatives in destination to offer firsthand support to customers – in person and via the Sunwing app – to address any questions or concerns they may have about the evolving travel and testing requirements. This includes helping customers find a PCR testing facility, along with arranging transportation to and from the facility, should it be required. While we will continue to update our customers as we receive further updates from the government, we also encourage travellers to visit travel.gc.ca for more information on the new testing requirements.”

IATA BLASTS CANADA’S NEW COVID RULE

On Jan. 2 IATA posted a Canada-specific statement, expressing “deep frustration” with the new COVID-19 pre-testing requirement. 

“While the industry for months has been calling for systematic testing to re-open borders without quarantine measures, these pleas have fallen on deaf ears, especially in Canada. Now, in a decision that can only be described as the ‘worst of both worlds’, the government is mandating that passengers provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test taken within 72 hours before planned departure to Canada, while at the same time declining to lift existing travel restrictions and quarantine requirements.”

IATA goes on to say: “It is both callous and impractical to impose this new requirement on travellers at such short notice. Moreover, it is completely unrealistic to mandate that airlines check passengers’ compliance with the new rule, as it cannot be the airline’s role to determine if a passenger tried their utmost to get tested or not.

“Canada already has one the world’s most draconian COVID-19 border control regimes, including travel bans and quarantines. Even though COVID-19 testing is an internationally accepted risk-mitigation strategy, there are no plans to adjust the current 14-day quarantine rule nor eliminate the temperature checks airlines are required to perform on passengers wishing to travel to Canada. Moreover, no explanation has been provided as to why a PCR test is the only acceptable test, given that this is not readily available in many countries.”

IATA notes that the severe economic consequences of Canada’s prolonged border closure are already evident. The aviation sector’s direct GDP contribution to Canada’s economy dropped by an estimated US$10.39 billion in 2020 compared to 2019, putting 146,000 Canadian jobs at risk. The year-on-year fall in GDP contribution to the wider travel and tourism economy is estimated at US$21.29 billion with some 286,000 jobs at risk.

IATA says Canada must focus on a well-planned and coordinated introduction of testing inbound travellers as a way forward, and as a replacement for quarantine measures. 

“At current infection levels, testing travellers will ensure that opening borders will not pose additional risk of contagion in Canada. We challenge the government to prove otherwise,” says IATA.

IATA is calling on the Canadian government to postpone the Jan. 7 start date until it has further developed testing requirements, and coordinated with the airline industry to achieve realistic implementation timelines. The Canadian government must also develop a policy roadmap to safely re-open borders by managing the risk of contagion with testing as a replacement for quarantine measures.

“We need to start 2021 by taking steps to safely live with COVID-19,” says IATA. “What is the point of implementing testing if it does not result in a lifting of border closures nor quarantine requirements? After nine months of closed borders and confinement, we cannot afford to move in the wrong direction with the disastrous implementation of a counter-productive testing policy.”

Share this:

23 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Boestar...I'm not trying to "one up" but a "privilege" is something enjoyed by an individual or group denied to others.

The ability to operate a motorized vehicle on public roadways is enabled by licence.

There are limited grounds upon which a licence can be rescinded or denied. In the absence of proof otherwise, a person is ENTITLED ( has a right) to insist upon issuance and that right will be enforced.

That License is bestowed upon you by the government.  They can revoke that license at any time for cause.

In Ontario it is spelled out right in the Drivers Handbook

"DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT"

Just ask anyone who has lost their license for DUI, Stunting, Vehicular Manslaughter, or even just speeding.  The PRIVILEGE is REVOKED.

17 hours ago, J.O. said:

One thing I learned during my time in government is that if a citizen meets the conditions of issuance for any authorization or document, the government is duly bound to issue it. This is foundational to our system of government and there is no discretion, no matter what the MTO website might suggest. That means that as long as you qualify, you cannot be denied the certificate. That’s as close to being a “right” as one can get in this area. 

Well I retain the right under authorization of the MTO to DENY you a Drivers License because you fail to meet the criteria set out by the MTO.  If it were a RIGHT I would not have that ability.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

Well I retain the right under authorization of the MTO to DENY you a Drivers License because you fail to meet the criteria set out by the MTO.  If it were a RIGHT I would not have that ability.

Say what? You just agreed with me. Please read what I sad again.

In order to obtain the license, the applicant must meet the conditions of issuance. If they meet those conditions, the government cannot deny them the licence. IOW, they met the conditions, they have a right to obtain the certificate. There is case precedent for this.

Edited by J.O.

3 hours ago, J.O. said:

Say what? You just agreed with me. Please read what I sad again.

In order to obtain the license, the applicant must meet the conditions of issuance. If they meet those conditions, the government cannot deny them the licence. IOW, they met the conditions, they have a right to obtain the certificate. There is case precedent for this.

Agreed however it is not a right under the charter.  the charter grants you freedom of MOVEMENT and TRAVEL.  No mode is specified.  The purpose is to say that you have the right to go anywhere in canada without restriction.  HOW you get there is on you and the privilege of gaining the required certificates and licences are NOT guaranteed under the charter.

If cannot grasp the operation of an automobile you will not be allowed to operate one LEGALLY.  Same for other modes of transportation.  Airline Tariffs essentially say thanks for buying a ticket, we may or may not get you there.  There is case president for that too.

Any Private carrier of any mode of transportation has the right to refuse carriage to anyone for cause.  Too Drunk...Not Flying.  Rights only extend to a point.  when you have a right you also have a responsibility.

5 hours ago, boestar said:

Boestar....respectfully....you are debating a point without full appreciation of the various " shades of grey" which are important to us whose lives revolve around that appreciation. Again...I say that without any desire to be see  as denigrating your position.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is irrelevant to a discussion of the " right to drive". Yes...driving means mobility but " mobility rights" doesn't refer to driving.

Many people conflate the words " privilge" and "license".

We read of " revoking driving privileges" and take that to mean that driving is a " privilege". This is language as communication; not as an art. 

What I intended to convey is an understanding that there is import to specific words; "licence"; "right"; "privilege".

At law....there is a very real and substantive difference between these terms.

I have a friend who was once the head of vehicle and driver licensing for Ontario. I was his " best man" and we stay in touch. I mentioned this discussion to him and he said; "Who cares!?"

I have to agree. There are a LOT more important issues for us to dicuss.

• Like 1

This may help to clarify what is essential travel vs optional travel

Canada refines definition of “essential travel” during coronavirusEven foreigners who are exempt from coronavirus travel restrictions have to demonstrate they are coming to Canada for an essential reason

Shelby Thevenot

Shelby Thevenot

Published on May 1st, 2020 at 03:00am EDTUpdated on May 19th, 2020 at 11:12am EDT

With travel restrictions still in place, Canada has clarified what types of trips are considered “essential” in order to gauge which travellers should be let into the country.

Foreigners who are exempt from Canada’s coronavirus travel restrictions, such as temporary foreign workers, immediate family members of Canadians, and certain international students, must demonstrate the purpose of their trip is for an essential reason. In the government’s words, the reason must be “non-optional” or “non-discretionary.”

Meanwhile, the mandatory quarantine period for new arrivals and the restriction on travel for sick individuals are still at play. With few exceptions, everyone who enters Canada from abroad must undergo 14 days of self-isolation. Furthermore, they must demonstrate that they have an adequate quarantine plan.

At the end of the day, it is up to the officer to assess whether or not the reason for the trip is permissible for entry to Canada.

Some of the travel purposes that are considered essential may be:

• economic services and supply chains;
  • providing service that is essential to the health, safety, security, or economic well-being of Canadians and the government, in other words, “critical infrastructure support;”
  • health (immediate medical care), safety and security;
  • supporting Indigenous communities;
  • transiting through Canada for essential purposes;
  • studying in Canada if approved before March 18, 2020, Canada is still accepting applications for international students and will advise them when travel opens to them;
  • tending to sick family members who have no one else to help them in Canada; or
  • any other activities that are deemed “non-optional” or “non-discretionary” by the Canadian government.

The government defines “optional” or “discretionary” travel as coming to Canada for the purposes of tourism, recreation, and entertainment among others. Some examples of trips that the government does not consider essential include:

• visiting family for a vacation;
  • coming to Canada for the birth of a new family member, although they may make an exception for the baby’s parent;
  • visiting a secondary home even for the purposes of upkeep and maintenance; or
  • attending the funeral of a family member, as quarantine measures in Canada already limit the number of attendees allowed at funerals under provincial restrictions.

What about family reunification?

Family ties will not automatically qualify as essential travel. Travelling family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents must prove that they are travelling for an essential reason such as:

• taking up full-time residence in Canada, which includes prospective permanent residents as well as temporary residents who are coming to Canada to live with immediate family members;
  • caring for sick family members or family members who are otherwise unable to care for themselves when no other arrangements can be made, the 14-day quarantine for travellers will still factor into whether the travel is considered discretionary; or
  • shared custody agreement across borders, as this would be in compliance with a court order.

Still confusing.... the story says no test, no travel and then says if you come from a country where the test is not available, you can fly but then will be quarantined in a government facility (I WONDER  WHERE THEY ARE AND WHO PAYS)

Explained: The new rules taking effect for air travellers entering Canada

Ryan Flanagan

Ryan FlanaganCTVNews.ca Writer

@flanaganryan Contact

Published Wednesday, January 6, 2021 9:38AM EST

TORONTO -- Everyone flying into Canada will be required to provide proof of a recent negative test result for COVID-19 as of 11:59 p.m. EST Wednesday.

This new stipulation, which was announced last week, brings Canada in line with dozens of other countries, including France, Portugal, Brazil and Russia. Some airlines have also implemented similar rules, even for flights that are landing in countries that do not have this requirement.

In Canada, the requirement applies to all air passengers five years of age or older, regardless of whether their travel is considered essential or non-essential. Exemptions apply to air crew members, emergency service providers and anyone on a plane that is only landing in Canada to refuel.

All passengers for whom those exemption circumstances do not apply must present their airline with proof of a negative result from a PCR test taken within 72 hours of their scheduled departure time. Without that proof, the government says, they will not be allowed to board their flight.

pCR tests – short for polymerase chain reaction tests – involve swabbing a person's nose or throat to take a sample, then analyzing the sample to determine whether that person had COVID-19 at the time of the test. It is the most common method of rapid-testing to detect current cases of COVID-19.

Tests acceptable for air passengers entering Canada include those from laboratories that have been accredited by governments, those from laboratories that have membership in a professional association, and those from laboratories that have been accredited by the International Organization for Standardization.

The test may be covered by a travel insurance plan. If it is not, it is up to the passenger to pay for their own test.

Even with proof of a negative test, travellers entering Canada must quarantine for their first 14 days in the country. Anyone whose quarantine plan is not considered acceptable will be placed in a federal quarantine facility.

Federal quarantine facilities will also be used to house anyone who is arriving in Canada from a country that does not offer PCR tests.

Passengers on Canada-bound flights will still have to answer health screening questions, undergo temperature checks and wear masks as required.

Violating any of these requirements can result in charges under the Quarantine Act, with maximum penalties of up to six months in jail or a fine of up to $75,000. However, even when violations are referred to law enforcement, only warnings are issued in the majority of cases.

The federal government recommends that anyone unsure how they can obtain a PCR test outside the country contact their airline, local health authorities or the nearest Government of Canada office.

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, approximately 6,000 cases of COVID-19 in the country – just under two per cent of the total – have been linked to international travel.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Anyone whose quarantine plan is not considered acceptable will be placed in a federal quarantine facility.

Where??? Hotels/jails etc. across Canada, or one major location ? Who pays for the meals/ accommodations??

Who decides if their QP is acceptable or not??

If unacceptable, why not send them back from whence they came ....cheaper in the long run and stands as an example for other possible "no good QP"  passengers. 

Stand firm.

Edited by Kip Powick

Just another way to curry favour with the feds to come up with an aid bill....

Air Canada hires influencers to promote vacation travel even as federal guidelines urge people to stay home

Air Canada has hired social-media influencers to encourage Canadians to fly on non-essential vacation travel in spite of federal guidelines that urge people to stay home as cases of COVID-19 spike across the country.

The social influencers being paid by Air Canada Vacations are promoting leisure travel inside the country and to international destinations.

“I cannot think of a bigger waste of money by Air Canada,”

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Still confusing.... the story says no test, no travel and then says if you come from a country where the test is not available, you can fly but then will be quarantined in a government facility (I WONDER  WHERE THEY ARE AND WHO PAYS)

In Australia, the government chooses the hotel and you pay a daily rate which includes room, meals, laundry services and a daily allowance for beer / wine. It's non-optional and there are police officers monitoring the place 24/7.

Edited by J.O.

Canada ends ban on flights from the U.K. citing new testing requirements

By Rachel Gilmore  Global News | Posted January 6, 2021

Canada is ending its ban on flights from the United Kingdom as the new coronavirus variant continues to spread within the U.K.’s borders.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau confirmed the development during a Wednesday press conference.

“The ban on U.K. flights, which was going until midnight tonight, will lapse. It will no longer be applicable,” Garneau said.

“We have made that decision based on the fact that we have now put in place, since that original ban, a pre-departure testing protocol… so that will replace the ban that existed for the U.K. and it applies, of course, to all countries in the world from which flights may come to Canada.”

U.K. goes into national lockdown, as COVID-19 variant continues spread

New travel restrictions are slated to come into effect on Jan. 7 that would force anyone flying to Canada to show a negative coronavirus test result before stepping on the plane. While the move has sent industry and passengers into a tailspin as they grapple with the new rules, federal officials hope the move will catch some cases that could have otherwise entered Canada unnoticed.

Meanwhile, 11 cases of the COVID-19 variant – which has been found to spread more quickly than the original variant – have been found on Canadian soil.

The variant has been found to be between 50 and 70 per cent more infectious than the initial coronavirus that spread around the world. That reality has forced the U.K. to take extreme measures, including imposing a third countrywide lockdown, as the BBC reports as many as one in 50 people in the U.K. might have the virus.

Airline industry growing frustrated with government’s changing COVID-19 directives

Speaking on Tuesday, Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam said that avoiding all non-essential international travel – from the U.K. and otherwise – is an important tool in quelling the spread of the virus.

“Mutations of the virus can occur all the time, and these variants of concern … can actually come up in different areas of the world, not just the U.K.,” Tam said.

In addition to these measures, Canada has had a mandatory 14-day quarantine in place since March 2020, forcing everyone who enters the country from abroad to hunker down for two weeks.

The prime minister has also strongly advised against any non-essential travel – a message he reiterated in a Tuesday press conference.

“No one should be vacationing abroad right now,” Justin Trudeau said.

“So many people gave up so much more than just a vacation over the holidays. There’s a reason so many Canadians made those tough but responsible decisions. There’s a reason so many Canadians did their part. It was for the people around them.”

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Interesting, Cathay will operate flights from HKG to the UK for a few week OW only. I wonder what they will do with the aircraft and crews being that there will be no return flights until  Jan 25th.

Cathay to resume limited number of UK flights

By Cirium6 January 2021

Cathay Pacific will operate a handful of flights from Hong Kong to London Heathrow from 12 January, but return services will remain suspended.

The airline says it will operate flights to Heathrow on 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21 and 24 January, “in order to assist customers needing to travel to the UK”. Its scheduled flight to Manchester on 15 January has now been cancelled.

Cathay announced on 21 December that it would suspend all services to and from the UK between 22 December and 10 January. The carrier normally operates daily flights to Heathrow and a weekly service between Hong Kong and Manchester.

The move followed Hong Kong’s decision to ban all commercial passenger flights to and from the UK, in an attempt to stop the spread of a new, more infectious Covid-19 variant that was discovered in the country.

All flights from the UK to Hong Kong will remain suspended until 25 January, says Cathay.

“One of our two butlers is bringing us our pina coladas right now. No, we are not kidding – we have two butlers,” she says in the video. “Thank you, Air Canada Vacations. We are beside ourselves.”

Senior bureaucrat overseeing border and travel health accepted Air Canada junket to Jamaica

Thu Jan 07, 2021 - The Globe and Mail
Robert Fife - Ottawa Bureau Chief

jamaicaac.jpg.7eddf4ccd7b6c597f6eba409366114c3.jpg

A senior public servant at the Public Health Agency of Canada accepted an all-expenses-paid holiday to Jamaica courtesy of Air Canada Vacations in November, even as her agency has been advising Canadians since March to avoid non-essential travel to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Dominique Baker, the acting manager at PHAC’s Office of Border and Travel Health, flew with a friend to the upscale, all-inclusive Royalton Blue Waters resort in Montego Bay in mid-November.

Ms. Baker, who bills herself as a beauty, fashion and travel influencer on her off-work hours, posted a video a few hours after she arrived in Jamaica, calling the hotel suite with its own infinity pool “mind-blowing – whoa.”

“One of our two butlers is bringing us our pina coladas right now. No, we are not kidding – we have two butlers,” she says in the video. “Thank you, Air Canada Vacations. We are beside ourselves.”

Ms. Baker’s husband, Ryan, is also a senior civil servant. He is the director of strategic communications at the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and previously served as director of infectious disease, risk and emergency communications at Health Canada.

Ms. Baker did not immediately respond to telephone and e-mail requests for comment.

Ms. Baker released a video statement Thursday on Instagram in which she apologized for travelling to Jamaica.”

While there were comprehensive precautions in place to keep people safe, the timing just wasn’t great and I shouldn’t have gone,” she said. “I acknowledge this and I urge anyone thinking of getting away this year to wait until this pandemic is over. Follow the public health advice and stay at home now.”

She did not explain why she thought it was acceptable for a public servant to take a free Air Canada holiday.

PHAC president Iain Stewart said the Jamaica junket did not involve government business but added that it was unacceptable for Ms. Baker to ignore the advisory on non-essential travel.

“The Agency’s leadership was alerted to the employee’s whereabouts in November, after photos of her abroad were posted on social media channels for a campaign promoting international vacations,” he said in a statement. “When the situation was brought to PHAC’s attention, the matter was acted upon immediately and a review was initiated. We will not comment further to respect the employee’s privacy.”

Mr. Stewart added that PHAC employees must adhere to the government’s Values and Ethics Code, which “requires them to declare any activity which could give rise to a real, potential or apparent conflict of interest.”

In a Nov. 24 blog on her site, Style Domination, Ms. Baker gushed about the trip and posted pictures of herself on the beach and at poolside, horseback riding and eating at fancy restaurants. Both the video and the blog post have since been removed from the site.

“Our trip was booked with Air Canada Vacations, which included our flights aboard Air Canada Rouge, our stay at the lovely Royalton Blue Waters, a private transfer to and from the hotel in Jamaica, and a free checked bag for each of us,” she wrote.

She explained that people have been curious about whether she needed to quarantine upon arrival in Jamaica or whether she was required to take a COVID-19 test before arrival, but she explained that the Jamaican Travel Authority does not require Canadian residents to provide a negative test result for entry to the country.

“We felt very safe. There is a low Covid rate in Jamaica as well,” she wrote.

She lauded Air Canada for making it safe to travel outside Canada and praised the airline for keeping “every inch of the plane” clean and sanitized.

“We were heartened to see the flight attendants wearing all sorts of personal protective equipment (PPE): from gloves and masks – to full-on head-to-toe suits that resemble light HAZMAT suits,” she wrote.

“As part of Air Canada Vacations Commitment to Safer Travel, our car was completely sanitized, and our driver was also wearing the necessary PPE. We were then taken to the Royalton Blue Waters, a luxe all-inclusive resort,” she added.

Air Canada’s manager of corporate communications, Peter Fitzpatrick, said the airline did not provide the paid junket to Ms. Baker because of her government connections but because of her activities as a social-media influencer.

“This individual was engaged on the basis of her influencer profile, the demographic of her followers and because of her established track record as an influencer,” he said. “Her influencer profile did not mention her employment with the government.”

He noted that the Jamaica holiday package involved an “exchange for content, including an emphasis on our onboard CleanCare+ program and health and safety measures at the property she visited.”

Beyond the optics of her foolish choice, her biggest problem may be yet to come. The TBS does not take kindly to clear violations of the public service ethics guidelines. Accepting such a gift is definitely a huge no-no, even if it wasn't directly connected with her work at PHAC.

Edited by J.O.