Any ideas what this Air Canada big event is about?

dagger

I amazed at how much people obsess about aircraft livery. But a little black around the windows seems to have generated some free publicity south of the border for AC.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/11/news/companies/air-canada-new-colors-polarization/index.html?sr=twCNN021117/air-canada-new-colors-polarization/index.html0449PMStoryLink&linkId=34394348

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, seeker said:

This is all good detail.  I'm looking forward to AMEs getting the respect they deserve and this system, once it's learned by the rest of us, should help.

You'll be fine seeker and will accept this new policy with ease. My airline receives contract maintenance from AC at YYZ & YVR. I've gotten to know most of them and always a hand shake before and after the paperwork. One guy in YVR was a college classmate. And I'm sure you know AC also handles several other foreign airlines at their main bases most of whom have the uniform style being discusssed for Air Canada AMEs. 

3 hours ago, mrlupin said:

What will it mean to flight crew at the end of the day? There will no possibility of mistaking ramp services personnel with maintenance. One will likely be able to distinguish cabin maintenance personnel from aircraft maintenance personnel.

Need something like this for STOC in some of the smaller bases so the pilots don't confuse them with IT support.  Pilots used to waltz from the Flight Ops office into STOC all the time bellowing out... "the printer is out of paper" and then stand there waiting. :)

19 minutes ago, Newman said:

Need something like this for STOC in some of the smaller bases so the pilots don't confuse them with IT support.  Pilots used to waltz from the Flight Ops office into STOC all the time bellowing out... "the printer is out of paper" and then stand there waiting. :)

That's funny, STOC calls me on the radio all the time to their problems - seems like a wash!

Oh, wait!  I found an appropriate uniform:

$_3.jpeg

I'm just kidding, of course.  I respect my colleagues in STOC and know they have a difficult job with lots of challenges.

2 hours ago, conehead said:

I use a snowblower. It's easier. :)

I do that also, on the circular driveway, but the front entrance is interlocking stone and I can't get it really clean so have to use a shovel there as well as the full walk-way on front of the house which is also interlocking stone. This decor was not my idea but you know.....compromise/compromise;)

3 hours ago, seeker said:

That's funny, STOC calls me on the radio all the time to their problems - seems like a wash!

Oh, wait!  I found an appropriate uniform:

$_3.jpeg

I'm just kidding, of course.  I respect my colleagues in STOC and know they have a difficult job with lots of challenges.

Thats more like a new uniform for the alternative facts guy in that big white house down south LOL!!

1 hour ago, Zan Vetter said:

Guys relax we're just arguing over who is going to apply the MEL. How many bars does it take? :)

I can't recall if they actually had the epaulets, but the ramp attendants at United in ORD back in the early 2000's were infamous for tapping their shoulders and referring to their "stripes" when voluntelling the junior attendant they had to perform a task. 

Air Canada's CS300s could enable broad network changesEmail.png

• 10 February, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: Jon Hemmerdinger
  • Toronto

Though Air Canada has described its incoming Bombardier CS300s as replacements for Embraer 190s, a top Air Canada executive has suggested the fleet plan could evolve.

Air Canada president of passenger airlines Benjamin Smith says the new Bombardier aircraft could prove as transformative as Boeing 787s, allowing Air Canada to make broader network changes.

During an interview with FlightGlobal at Toronto Pearson International airport on 9 February, Smith makes clear that Air Canada's plan calls for the CS300 to replace the E190.

"But that's assuming our network is static," he adds.

"This airplane is so good [that] we think it's going to want to go on every route in North America," Smith says of the CS300.

"The economics – it's got CASM rates that are equivalent to much larger airplanes. So it may enable us, or give us the opportunity, to rethink our bank structures, how our network is designed," he adds.

Air Canada has orders for 45 CS300s, with deliveries scheduled for between 2019 and 2022, according to Flight Fleets Analyzer. The 25 E190s scheduled for replacement are only about 10 years old, Fleets Analyzer shows.

"It's kind of like the 787," Smith says of the CSeries.

Air Canada initially ordered 787s as replacements for ageing Boeing 767s and Airbus A330s.

But the 787s proved so efficient on long-haul routes that Air Canada instead used them to launch a major international expansion, Smith says.

Air Canada ended up keeping the A330s in its mainline fleet, and transitioned the 767s to its newly-created low-cost subsidiary Rouge, Smith notes.

Thanks to the 787, Air Canada "rejiggered our entire network," Smith says. "If we can hit a similar home run with the CSeries, that would be amazing."

CSeries would be "perfect" for a route such as Vancouver to Boston, which "stretches the legs of the Airbus narrowbody", Smith says.

Or, Air Canada could potentially deploy CS300s from extreme-eastern Canadian cities to destinations in Europe, or from Vancouver to Hawaii, Smith says.

Smith says Air Canada remains confident Bombardier will meet its delivery schedule, downplaying the possibility that recent delivery delays could stretch into the coming years.

"We don't have a concern about the delivery schedule on the CSeries," Smith says. "We have a long history with Bombardier. We know their leadership extremely well."

On 2017-02-13 at 3:25 PM, rudder said:

Just saw the new paint 321 in YUL.

Not unappealing but not inspiring either. Very business like. Will work fine for the next 10 years of AC branding.

Just saw the same a/c at YYZ today. No wow factor from me. 

1 hour ago, rudder said:

I saw an AC 321 new paint and then an AC 321 STAR Alliance paint. Very similar. I can get used to the AC new paint but the 'raccoon' cockpit window paint should perhaps be reconsidered.

Re: window paint. It looks odd to me as well and unnecessary but I can only think it blends the various aircraft types (Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer) into one common appearance. 

• 1 month later...

On the subject of logo lights, maybe a maintenance type can help with this question...

What would the possibility be of having the new OLED technology replace logo lights?  By that I mean, wouldn't it be super cool if instead of shining a light on the logo, the logo is a film that glows itself?  The latest I've seen is a 0.2mm thick film, and with a protective layer, overall it would probably weigh less than the combination of the paint and projection light system.

Any thoughts?

Deicer, there may be a future for that technology,( but I can't say I welcome the inevitable evolution of rolling OLED billboard messages)

In the short term, adhesion, wear and static affect the existing films and coatings.  Before we see OLED film I would like to see ice phobic film that stays put and doesn't pit or peel back. 

But we will get there eventually. When you see your first HSBC ad scrawled in lights along the fuselage of an A380, remember where you read it first..;-)

Vs

1 hour ago, rudder said:

There is a CRJ900 sitting outside the Jazz hangar in YHZ in the new AC colours.

Here it is landing in YUL -

From this video it appears AC at YUL already has their hangar matching the new paint scheme.

Still not 100% sold on the black around the windows but it does help blend the different aircraft types into one "look" especially on the 787. Very clever. 

Archived