Interesting, Covid declines worldwide

Turbofan

1 hour ago, UpperDeck said:

And why do we focus on number of infections as though this metric is determinative of anything?

Likely because the metric has been determinative of a couple of things (hospitalizations and deaths, even if calculating the exact number isn't a precise science) since the beginning of the pandemic.  

In places where more of the vulnerable are vaccinated it is likely less of a certainty that infections will lead to hospitalizations and deaths or at least to as many of them, but as you know, Canada's vaccination program is thus far nowhere.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, UpperDeck - On the "degree" - I was not suggesting your degree was from Twitter LS, but that of some of your interlocutors (& us dollar-store epidemiologists). If anything, I meant to commiserate. I've followed your legal comments here for years with interest, your patience and impatience with opinions unburdened by any legal tutoring,  and have no doubt about your own qualification to comment (and practice) whatsoever. I haven't looked up the post, and if it seemed that way, I definitely fumbled that.

My own formal education stopped before a Bachelor's degree, if that matters. I try not to let it. Informal learning continues. But I do try not to waste credentialed people's time. Maybe not always successfully, tho'.

I didn't/don't know of Turbofan's background (missed the Emory part), but he(generic pronouns) certainly does seem credible anyway. That said, his comments about Health Canada's projections initially seemed dismissive to my lay understanding, & given what I'd encountered, that didn't seem warranted (that's way short of full-throated defense BTW). He might be bringing me around.

IAC, I've tried to be pretty clear and upfront about my own level of engagement in this sort of discussion, perhaps not enough? (Aside - the flyertalk comment was aimed at all of us, Turbofan only included as an assumed (albeit well-informed) pilot ;))

Not sure you really invite my answers to your Q's :scratchchin: (with all layman limitations! TF, feel free to correct), but here goes.

Your hometown - Stats will have local anomalies. Jail is somewhat 'quarantined' I suppose, but people still come and go, and confined quarters of any kind are a challenge.

Deaths, Hospitalizations, Infections - My understanding is that B117 and the rest are more transmissible, but not likely more severe (although there seems to be daily discussion on that). More transmissibility > more infections > more deaths. It seems to me that should upset the current flow, for the worse (apparently many projections say not). 

What is "acceptable"? Current conditions reflect semi-lockdown conditions up to now under the old Rt#. Q may not be "is this acceptable", but "is this sustainable"? Current Covid conditions under an open economy might be "acceptable", but that's also fictional, & not likely one of our options (until vax!). And numbers much higher than those will strain our healthcare system. So perhaps the numbers to focus on are those projections (& hence TF's credibility concerns).

Again, apologies if I've come across the wrong way. Challenging discussion sometimes steps close to the edge ....

- Cheers, IFG :b:

9 hours ago, IFG said:

Again, apologies if I've come across the wrong way. Challenging discussion sometimes steps close to the edge ....

- Cheers, IFG :b:

Damn!! I screwed up....again!! I thought the smiley emoji was to convey light-hearted banter?

I was serious when I said my "studies" on epidemiology and virology and mRNA were all conducted at the University of Google.

My reference to your presumed educational background in the sciences was sincere. Like many others who obtained a BA, I majored In socialization....and I hit THOSE books hard!! Rarely saw the inside of a lecture hall because of late nights "studying".  I both admire and respect those who invoked their obvious intelligence ( finger pointed) for a more constructive purpose.

I confess to having my tongue somewhat embedded in my cheek when I remarked on "armchair quaterbacks" but obviously, Turbofan takes no exception and has never responded with any hint of condescension to anyone.

By the way.....a transient boater docked and we started a conversation between boats and the subject of my bland taste in beers came up. I said; "IPA, right?". You can guess the response! ?

I expect to PM you later this week about recent events of mutual interest.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, Maverick said:

The most effective treatment for Covid-19 is staying in good health. Age followed by obesity are the major risk factors for this disease. You will however, never hear any health authority at any level tell people to take responsibility for their own health. This is the nanny state that we now live in.

Where Does Obesity enter the equation for a respiratory infection? 

Underlying health issues like diabetes and the like for sure but Obesity does not mean unhealthy, I wish people woould get that through their heads

On 2/21/2021 at 8:08 AM, Jaydee said:

Canada now ranks 52nd in the world for vaccinations.

Watch Darren Fishers eyes. Is it just me, or does it bother anyone else that not only does he not answer the question, he’s reading his response.

3 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Watch Darren Fishers eyes. Is it just me, or does it bother anyone else that not only does he not answer the question, he’s reading his response.

I saw the same thing.  He was reading it and even stumbled on a few words.  Blatantly obvious it was prepared so he knew the question was coming.  The answer however dodged the question completely and he was never pressed for the answer again.

I think the reason for that is that the answer is the vaccine supply is in the hands of the supplier.  no matter if we bought 10 doses or 100 million doses we are only going to get it as fast as they ship it.  They all know this.  the show is for the general public to get all riled up.

By the time the list gets to my name for a vaccine, COVID will have petered out like SARS did.  You can already see the number dropping in hotspots all over the world.  India, the UK and even here. She's running out of steam.  I credit that to far more people being exposed to the virus than get reported.  It's fairly simple math to extrapolate from testing number what percentage of the population is actually positive. The percentage is much higher but the majority of the people never develop symptoms so no one know precicely.  Its a lot though

15 hours ago, conehead said:

Long term maybe a few years, big deal.  but it does not make a person more prone to a viral infection than the next guy.  

I know personal ly 2 people my age, one just a bit younger,  Both in excellent health.  I am a big guy but in good health, not a long distance runner by any means.  The other 2 guys have both suffered strokes under 55 years of age. 

Yes its anecdotal but there is case after case of "perfectly healthy" fit individuals having heart attacks, strokes and all sorts of other health issues.  Big small or in between you can get sick and die.

Saying I am more prone to covid because of my weight is idiotic.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:05 AM, boestar said:

Saying I am more prone to covid because of my weight is idiotic.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

Of course you're not more prone to getting it, you either do or don't get it. The chances of a much worse outcome from Covid is absolutely attributable to obesity.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, JL said:

It took a while but I know 5 people in my circle of contacts that have had COVID.

My wife and I know of no-one

The other days she asked our doctor if he had run across anyone and he said 'no one in his practice'  which is a large multi-doctor clinic

14 hours ago, Fido said:

My wife and I know of no-one

The other days she asked our doctor if he had run across anyone and he said 'no one in his practice'  which is a large multi-doctor clinic

family practice doctors would be the least likely health professionals to see a Covid case.  For 1 you would be lucky to see one face to face for an evaluation and 2 people have been told what to do if they get it and 3 people who suspect they have it get tested.

Not to mention that no doctor's office is set up to receive and treat a COVID patient who needs medical care. Matter of fact, most don't even want COVID patients coming in to the office. The direction has been to go to the hospital if you need help.

14 minutes ago, J.O. said:

Not to mention that no doctor's office is set up to receive and treat a COVID patient who needs medical care. Matter of fact, most don't even want COVID patients coming in to the office. The direction has been to go to the hospital if you need help.

exactly./  Re the decline, does that means we are winning or just that the number of people who are vulnerable has diminished.  EG. 500,000 dead in the US over 2,000,000 world wide (that we know of).   

Had an appointment with my Doctor via Facetime, last summer

Had an appointment via telephone last week.

His secretary said they have no physical body appointments anymore...and it will be awhile until they do.

As echoed above..".if you are that sick...go to ER at hospital"

I have ad 3 appointments with my family doctor, an MRI, an Ultrasound, and a face to face appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon.  The family doctor is the only one done remotely over the phone

On 2/27/2021 at 3:23 PM, mo32a said:

Geez boestar are you me? I've had 3 phone appointments with my family doctor, an MRI, two ultrasounds, four in person visits with orthopedic surgeons. 

apparently we are having issues. Getting old sucks

13 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

So far....better than a dirt nap......

I have a long way to go....I hope.... Still all this clunking and creeking is bothersome

Archived