US Airways flight 1549 goes down in Hudson Rive

dagger

Specs/mo32a

Ok...lets spice it up a bit....... laugh.gif

Let's say a pilot in an A320 suffered double engine failure just after clearing the far end of RW 04 at LGA, he would be at...oh lets say 459 feet laugh.gif .

Being trained, like all good A320 pilots, he puts it in the drink and all 155 people onboard survive .

He is labeled a hero by all.

Would there still be some of you posting that he shoulda done this, or shoulda done that, or coulda done this??? At what point do you think any pilot who was faced with this, or Sulley's situation, becomes absolutely faultless?

Based on your posts I can only speculate that neither of you have occupied the pointy end of an aircraft, or if you have, you have never been faced with an emergency situation where time was of the essence.

Nothing personal but your comments are really armchair quarterbacking, much after the fact, and are bordering on the "silly"... biggrin.gif

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, this is getting stupid. SO, how do you guys rate me that I too noticed that he used the term 'Brace for impact', and that as more information came out it turns out the FA's were unaware of the impending water landing, I wondered, if I were in the same situation, what I could do better to help the FA's situational awareness?(nice run-on, I know)

Do any of you actually apply the lessons learned from crashes and incidents into your "what would I do if it ever happened to me" file? I've done it my entire career; I've tried to learn from the mistakes(and the things they did right!) and file them away if, god forbid, I ever needed them. It's saved my butt more than a couple times over the years.

So, cut Mo32 some slack for thinking out loud. He wasn't criticizing the hero of the day, just trying to learn from what he did right and what he did wrong in a very fast paced, no-time-to-think situation.

I am not criticizing the guy, all of us are just trying to dissect how this miraculous event occurred and see if there was anything that could be improved on with 20/20 hindsight. I am sure Sully rolls this around in his mind as well, and will use it as a teaching aid in the future.

It was a terrific outcome to a horrendous situation and along with a tremendous skill set demonstrated by the crew, there was some luck involved as well. All I and others are trying to do is examine the situation and see if any lessons can be learned so that should it occur again some of those lessons could reduce the dependence on luck to promote a similar result.

Hey, that sounds a whole lot better wink.gif

Maybe folks could think back to the Sioux City DC10 crew who were forced to perform an unperformable exercise of multiple, "unrelated" failures. At least they were able to make themselves some time to formulate options. Then, once the world saw the "landing" live, on TV, who would have guessed there were any survivors.

Anyway, this is all just discussion. No need anyone get hot under the collar...

( 'lessen ya wants to rolleyes.gif )

My last word on this episode............

I fall back to the old adage, not even sure if it is taught in this new fangled age of magical machines laugh.gif

CONTROL...POWER...DRAG....FLY...TALK

When something goes wrong, get CONTROL of the aircraft

Apply POWER if applicable

Clean up any DRAG

FLY the machine

TALK.... if time permits

Based on what happened.....it was an admirable job by the entire crew, and had I been in the back and was faced with the sound of silence..... I would have prepared for the worse even if Sully did not have the TIME to say, -------BRACE...BRACE FOR IMPACT....WE'RE GOING INTO THE RIVER....HANG ON EVERYONE.....or even OH SH!T rolleyes.gif

The guy has done Professional Pilots a huge service.

Could you have picked a better "Poster Captain?" The guy did a fantastic interview.

It appears he has had extensive media training (?), naturally articulate and compassionate.

US Air Uniform looked good and he wore it with pride.

Great Pilot and a terrific spokesman.

I am not criticizing the guy, all of us are just trying to dissect how this miraculous event occurred and see if there was anything that could be improved on with 20/20 hindsight. I am sure Sully rolls this around in his mind as well, and will use it as a teaching aid in the future.

It was a terrific outcome to a horrendous situation and along with a tremendous skill set demonstrated by the crew, there was some luck involved as well. All I and others are trying to do is examine the situation and see if any lessons can be learned so that should it occur again some of those lessons could reduce the dependence on luck to promote a similar result.

"Do you not think he was a little busy??? He was lucky in that he got "BRACE-BRACE" out. " thumbs_up.gif

"He said "brace for impact he could have got out brace for water landing" thumbs_down.gif

Mo32 - You posted what looked like (to me anyhow) a caustic armchair quarterback one liner reply. I interpreted it as a critical verses an objective response. All we see is what you write. If you had written your second more articulate post in the first place nothing would have been said.

I guess it's all in perception, as none of us can read your mind to try and determine what you "meant" to say. Sometimes expediency when posting comes back to bite ya.

"Do you not think he was a little busy??? He was lucky in that he got "BRACE-BRACE" out. " thumbs_up.gif

"He said "brace for impact he could have got out brace for water landing" thumbs_down.gif

Mo32 - You posted what looked like (to me anyhow) a caustic armchair quarterback one liner reply. I interpreted it as a critical verses an objective response. All we see is what you write. If you had written your second more articulate post in the first place nothing would have been said.

I guess it's all in perception, as none of us can read your mind to try and determine what you "meant" to say. Sometimes expediency when posting comes back to bite ya.

rolleyes.gif

Get over yourself.

Guest rattler

Canadian Connection Confirmed cool.gif

Of interest to me is the certification standard vs the probable weight of the birds that were ingested.

Aircraft

DATE:12/02/09

SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence

NTSB: Hudson A320 struck Canada Geese

By John Croft

The US NTSB has positively identified the biological remains found in both CFM56-5B/P engines on the US Airways A320 that ditched in the Hudson River on 15 January as belonging to Canada geese.

The Smithsonian Institution's feather identification library made the determination through DNA analysis as well as "morphological comparisons" where analysts compared feathers found in the engines with those in the museum's collections, says the NTSB.

Twenty-five samples of bird remains have been examined to date, reports the safety agency in its fourth update on the accident investigation, and additional work is being done to try to determine if the geese were resident or migratory.

"While no determination has been made about how many birds the aircraft struck or how many were ingested in the engines, an adult Canada goose typically ranges in size from 5.8 to 10.7lb," the agency says, adding that "larger individual resident birds can exceed published records."

NTSB says the bird ingestion standards in place when the engine was certified in 1996 called for withstanding the ingestion of a 1.8kg (4lb) bird without catching fire, without releasing hazardous fragments through the engine case, without generating loads high enough to potentially compromise aircraft structural components, or without losing the capability of being shut down.

"The certification standard does not require that the engine be able to continue to generate thrust after ingesting a bird 4 lb or larger," the report states.

ATI has previously reported that the disabled aircraft's left engine was running at a fan speed of 35%, which is roughly equivalent to flight idle, after the collision with the birds, a speed that would have kept essential systems operating buy wound not have been enough to maintain altitude. The aircraft's right engine was running at approximately 15% speed after the bird strike.

Jeff Skiles' take on cockpit events/thoughts during the incident:

Charlie Rose interview with Jeff Skiles

Seeing FO Skiles and the rest of the 'Sully' crew, I am amazed at their clarity and composure. Then there's Phoenix. I wonder who is getting paid WAY too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG-M1CWskeQ

It makes me wanna gag but on the other hand perhaps these talented ( and he is talented) folks just don't know how to handle the rest of the world.

Guest rattler
Yeah he's talented, but what rock did he crawl out from under? Thankfully Dave knows just how to handle people like that. It's part of what makes him the best late night host ever, IMHO.

You would almost (got to put that in for legal cover) think that he was on some sort of pharmaceutical. But maybe he was just zoned out. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zoned%20out

biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived