US Airways flight 1549 goes down in Hudson Rive

dagger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and we have the white version right here in Canada! wink.gif

Oh please! Good job I already finished my breakfast. Bad enough that I choked on my coffee! Our current leader may be reasonably intelligent, but comparing him to Obama is just rich, even for you handyman. Based on his recent performance, he couldn't inspire a "you know what" in a "you know where".

Now I know why you changed your tag line.

Oh please! Good job I already finished my breakfast. Bad enough that I choked on my coffee! Our current leader may be reasonably intelligent, but comparing him to Obama is just rich, even for you handyman. Based on his recent performance, he couldn't inspire a "you know what" in a "you know where".

Now I know why you changed your tag line.

Well, after my last few legitimate comments/questions went unanswered, I saw an opportunity to throw a hand-grenade into the thread with Mitch's comment. smile.gif

Nice to know someone still reads my posts! laugh.gifwink.gif

Nice to see...credit where credit is due...getting a little "deep" about the pointy end "hero".

Before the flames start...........he did his job, a job that the FO probaby could have done, as well as any other trained A320 pilot..... and I'm sure that in this instance he was doing what was required.

Seems many people have forgotten that there are two seats occupied in the front of that aircraft and the fact that one pilot is in the left seat is by virtue of seniority...not experience, courses , diplomas, color of hair,, etc etc.

When I joined WD I flew with guys, (Captains) that had a total of 7000 hours, of which 7 hours were on the A310. I had 18,000 hours at that time and was the NG (New Guy) and put in the right seat.....and rightly so.....ask any pilot...seniority rules.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little....  ph34r.gif

Oh, I thought you were throwing up because he was talking about our four white left of centre candidates. And seeing as our leader has inspired Canadians to vote him as PM twice and could expect at least another minority...another lie ("Based on his recent performance, he couldn't inspire a "you know what" in a "you know where") is exposed.

Why don't we start ignoring posts that take us off topic.

Oh, I thought you were throwing up because he was talking about our four white left of centre candidates. And seeing as our leader has inspired Canadians to vote him as PM twice and could expect at least another minority...another lie ("Based on his recent performance, he couldn't inspire a "you know what" in a "you know where") is exposed.

Why don't we start ignoring posts that take us off topic.

Well that would have to include yours then too.

It was just a joke but obviously no one is laughing! rolleyes.gif

Nice to see...credit where credit is due...getting a little "deep" about the pointy end "hero".

Before the flames start...........he did his job, a job that the FO probaby could have done, as well as any other trained A320 pilot..... and I'm sure that in this instance he was doing what was required.

Hi Kip

Most of what I have read, seen and heard say that it was an extraordinary landing.

I am really not asking this to be a smart ass but are you saying that any other trained A320 pilot could have done the same thing?

Hi Kip

Most of what I have read, seen and heard say that it was an extraordinary landing.

I am really not asking this to be a smart ass but are you saying that any other trained A320 pilot could have done the same thing?

If you want an all encompassing answer, it would be "yes"....but to qualify there are other factors to consider.

If we have a 30 hour Captain driving the "bus" and he is faced with the same circumstances...what choice would he have..?...any pilot will tell you that it would be wiser to try for a water landing rather than attempting to stretch a glide, or put it down in city streets.

Sulley did it, and did it well, but I am sure almost every 320 driver out there, Capt or FO, would have "tried" the same thing. The success of the "try" would depend on so many variables that it is impossible to give a definitive percentage that would be successful...........Luck???? yes, he had a lot of it.

Skill?? yes, but we all entrust the pilots to have the same degree of skill as the pilot sitting beside him/her.....obviously some are better than others but how do you quantify who is DEFINITELY better unless you run the same scenario over and over?

Experience??? Yes he had some good experience(s) and perhaps that may have contributed to the landing...but how do we know for sure???

Passengers, your family, the media etc don't care about the pilots name when they get onboard but they assume, and rightly so, that BOTH pilots, (each), are quaified to handle every situaton no matter what happens.

BOTH pilots have passed their SIMS, Line Checks, etc. and are deemed capable...the seat you sit in depends on.........well you know. cool.gif

PS...ever read the story of the B737 Captain nearly sucked out the cockpit window and the FO had to take over and land the plane??

Anyhow..... 3 pilots....4 opinions wink.gif

Thanks Kip, I appreciate the response.

I think there are varying levels of competence in every profession - some doctors bury more of their mistakes than others, some chefs can make a perfect souffle, some can't.

That being said I think that while some of the media comments of praise have been a little over the top, what he did was truly remarkable and would not have been able to be executed by many pilots in the same situation.

In support of Kip's position there have been several instances over the past year when either the captain or FO was incapacited ( in one case the FO died - Istanbul ) and the remaining pilot brought the plane in for a safe and uneventful landing. Seems like we're in good hands no matter who is flying the plane.

Thanks for the sanity injection Kip. You're right of course. ...and if not every A320 pilot could have done that then the ones that couldn't shouldn't be in the seat.

Heck, I'm pretty sure even I could have pulled it off.

Buildings or river? ... ummm, let's go with the river.

Gear down or up? ...ummm, lets go with up for the ditching.

Keep it flying all the way down, or stall it somewhere above all the way down? ...ummm lets keep it flying.

Flare it in, or just dive right in? ...geez, I don't think we'd better dive in, that might hurt... maybe we'll try to "land" it on the water, somewhat tail first... while keeping it level... something like landing a float plane I'd think. [i bet anyone with some float time might be able to do pretty well with this too?]

Flaps or no? I want to hit the water as slow as possible with minimal vertical speed... how 'bout flaps 20...

How we doin'? Shall we let the folks in the back know they're about to get wet?

As I said, I do not think pilots are overpaid button pushers. ...and I can't bring myself to believe the competence level of airline pilots is so poor that a simple ditching is out of the average pilot's league.

...BUT!!.... Cap'n Sully did it! Not every A320 pilot can say that! ...and most importantly, he didn't screw it up! For that reason, he definitely deserves a place of honor at the beer table! ...and I hope we never have to have this conversation again.

Thanks for the sanity injection Kip. You're right of course. ...and if not every A320 pilot could have done that then the ones that couldn't shouldn't be in the seat.

Heck, I'm pretty sure even I could have pulled it off.

Buildings or river? ... ummm, let's go with the river.

Gear down or up? ...ummm, lets go with up for the ditching.

Keep it flying all the way down, or stall it somewhere above all the way down? ...ummm lets keep it flying.

Flare it in, or just dive right in? ...geez, I don't think we'd better dive in, that might hurt... maybe we'll try to "land" it on the water, somewhat tail first... while keeping it level... something like landing a float plane I'd think. [i bet anyone with some float time might be able to do pretty well with this too?]

Flaps or no? I want to hit the water as slow as possible with minimal vertical speed... how 'bout flaps 20...

How we doin'? Shall we let the folks in the back know they're about to get wet?

As I said, I do not think pilots are overpaid button pushers. ...and I can't bring myself to believe the competence level of airline pilots is so poor that a simple ditching is out of the average pilot's league.

...BUT!!.... Cap'n Sully did it! Not every A320 pilot can say that! ...and most importantly, he didn't screw it up! For that reason, he definitely deserves a place of honor at the beer table! ...and I hope we never have to have this conversation again.

If it was that simple and all we are our over payed button pushers', then why don't you and every other critic do it? If we get paid soooo much and it's sooooo easy then step up to the plate! cool.gif

If it was that simple and all we are our over payed button pushers', then why don't you and every other critic do it?

Which part of "As I said, I do not think pilots are overpaid button pushers. ..." didn't you understand?

Handyman, lots of us still read your posts, and lots of us are a-holes sometimes too, so we can, if we're good, forgive you. biggrin.gif (though that "cleaning up" crack was pretty obscene) ...but please, if you're going to respond to my posts, do read my words, will you?

Cheers. martini.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks Conehead. smile.gif

Guest rattler

Of course let's not discount the "Senior" Pilot's years and years of experience. There is no doubt in my mind that lots of hours on type + his other experience has to trump 35hrs on type. cool.gif

Of course let's not discount the "Senior" Pilot's years and years of experience. There is no doubt in my mind that lots of hours on type + his other experience has to trump 35hrs on type. cool.gif

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree...honest but.....

I would never discount the value of experience but as has been repeatedly said, few pilots fortunately will ever discover how they would react in an "emergency" such as in this case.

It's a "once in the lifetime of few" occurrence and I cannot say with any assurance that John with 20 years on type will respond more appropriately than Bill with three months operating that equipment.

You never know until it actually happens whether "it" means reacting to a robbery; a drowning child; or, the sudden loss of power on initial climb.

Handyman, lots of us still read your posts, and lots of us are a-holes sometimes too, so we can, if we're good, forgive you. biggrin.gif (though that "cleaning up" crack was pretty obscene) ...but please, if you're going to respond to my posts, do read my words, will you?

Cheers. martini.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks Conehead. smile.gif

oops, sorry! Selective reading. wink.gif

'Soft Body Impact'

"What appears to be organic material was found in the right engine and on the wings and fuselage," the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said in its latest statement.

The right engine has been externally examined and "numerous internal components of the engine were significantly damaged".

Samples of the "organic material" are being sent to the Department of Agriculture for DNA analysis and the single feather "found attached to a flap track on the wing" is being sent to bird identification experts at the Smithsonian Institution.

The right engine remained attached to the airliner when it hit the water on 15 January.

The left engine separated and has now been located in mud on the bottom of the river near where the jet ditched.

BBC Report

Archived