Westjet bumps cycling team..

conehead

"This was a situation where we were required to switch to a smaller aircraft due to weather in the area," said spokesperson Lauren Stewart. "Weather, needless to say, is out of our control."

What kind of 'weather' requires a switch to a smaller aircraft?

Fog in the parts department? Tornados at the gate? A rash of crew solar flu? This is a time when the WestJet spokespersons should back up and explain what they mean. 

1 minute ago, Southshore said:

Regarding westjet's recent commercials regarding no bumping, the phrase "Pride goeth before a fall" leaps to mind. Dumb asses.

I thought the ad campaign said they don't overbook. Subtle difference but not the same thing.

10 minutes ago, J.O. said:

I thought the ad campaign said they don't overbook. Subtle difference but not the same thing.

Regardless, when you stick yourself out there in an add campaign to capitalize on current events, no one will consider the fine print when pointing out you are not as perfect as you think you are. Current adds are an invite for this type of criticism. Would have been better off not pounding the chest on this one. Reminds me of how the Care-antee quietly turned into a Disney Plane.

Promises in the WestJet Care-antee include: We will not charge you to change or cancel your flight for 24 hours after you book We will not charge you for call centre bookings We will not overbook your flight We will not charge you for two checked bags We will have the lowest, change, cancel and pre-reserved seating fees in Canada We will accommodate you if your flight is delayed. Even if it’s Mother Nature’s fault We will fly you in the youngest all-jet fleet in North America We will provide live seatback TV on our flights We will give you ample legroom and overhead bin space We will publish our on-time, lost baggage and cancellation rates We will always let you know how we’re doing as a company We will offer free online check-in and seat selection 24 hours before departure We will allow you to transfer your credit files to friends or family for free We will give you free snacks and refreshments on your flight We will always include smiles and thank yous. Always - See more at: https://www.wingsmagazine.com/news/westjets-new-care-antee-2749#sthash.CUZ6dyyi.dpuf

36 minutes ago, acsidestick said:

Perhaps the author could also explain why Lukaks Gabor wasn't contacted so he could launch into his drivel and pout.

Check the third last paragraph from the bottom. Gabor Lukacs is helping out the home town cyclists. 

Burgess has teamed up with Halifax-based airline rights activist Gabor Lukacs and plans to take legal action to fight for more compensation for the group.

Lukacs is no longer telling people to complain to the CTA because the CTA has said Lukacs cannot be an intervenor or help the complainants in any official fashion. Also several recent CTA ruling have not gone his way. 

The new modis operandi is for Lukacs to encourage people to file in small claims court. I have been told by a few lawyers there will be a time very soon where Lukacs could be considered practicing law without an appropriate licence. 

3 hours ago, better4me said:

Check the third last paragraph from the bottom. Gabor Lukacs is helping out the home town cyclists. 

Lukacs is no longer telling people to complain to the CTA because the CTA has said Lukacs cannot be an intervenor or help the complainants in any official fashion. Also several recent CTA ruling have not gone his way. 

The new modis operandi is for Lukacs to encourage people to file in small claims court. I have been told by a few lawyers there will be a time very soon where Lukacs could be considered practicing law without an appropriate licence. 

He has had his day in the Sun, perhaps time to go back to his day job. Nothing against however his achievements. 

4 hours ago, better4me said:

Got to have a little chuckle at that suggestion. Based on what is known ( and what is implied), you might want to tell  those " few lawyers" that they're smoking something that should be shared.

4 hours ago, better4me said:

I don't really care about this character at all but advising someone of their legal rights should not be considered practicing law. 

First off the media is just pouring fuel on the fire with the onslaught of non worthy media. The claim by Westjet to change to a smaller aircraft due to weather is an outright lie and tells you  they have no integrity and can't be trusted. It must have been no crew for the larger aircraft or a maintenance issue. If they told the truth and placed the blam on themselves it would have cost them more $ and the we don't oversell add which I understand this is an equipment down gauge which  most  customers or guest don't  understand but the advertizment of we don't oversell will confuse mislead and piss them off because they still feel Westjet is advertising you bought a seat so you will always have a seat.

6 minutes ago, wizard said:

First off the media is just pouring fuel on the fire with the onslaught of non worthy media. The claim by Westjet to change to a smaller aircraft due to weather is an outright lie and tells you  they have no integrity and can't be trusted. It must have been no crew for the larger aircraft or a maintenance issue. If they told the truth and placed the blam on themselves it would have cost them more $ and the we don't oversell add which I understand this is an equipment down gauge which  most  customers or guest don't  understand but the advertizment of we don't oversell will confuse mislead and piss them off because they still feel Westjet is advertising you bought a seat so you will always have a seat.

So what rules will the transport minister put in place to protect the passanger who losses his/her seat due to down gage and less seats will the airlines still have to pony up cash due to shortage of crews or maintenance issues like this one we just witnessed with Westjet and they try to weasel out saying it was due to weather.

First off, the crew that flies the -800, also flies the -700 and -600. The wx may have been down at another city and that bird, which was to do the flight out of cyhz, was delayed. They had to send another with another crew to operate that flight using one of the smaller types.

It wasn't an overbook condition in the traditional form, but one where there wasn't enough seats, due to it being a smaller bird. Big difference but a problem nonetheless. 

As to how they choose who gets moved to other flights, maybe they were informed as to why they were chosen vs others. 

My quarterback armchair opinion without knowing the inside story. 

Cheers

Gabor has a Facebook page that is nothing g but bitching about airlines, some issues legit, some not.

I enjoy the circle jerk here to take shots at WS. Usually most airline employees sort of stick somewhat together and try to understand what happend or have empathy instead of the pile on.

46 minutes ago, chockalicious said:

Usually most airline employees sort of stick somewhat together and try to understand what happend or have empathy instead of the pile on.

Great thought however this forum isn't "The Love Connection". :)

6 hours ago, chockalicious said:

I enjoy the circle jerk here to take shots at WS. Usually most airline employees sort of stick somewhat together and try to understand what happend or have empathy instead of the pile on.

Maybe you should remove that tin foil hat!

On 6/16/2017 at 7:24 PM, UpperDeck said:

Got to have a little chuckle at that suggestion. Based on what is known ( and what is implied), you might want to tell  those " few lawyers" that they're smoking something that should be shared.

To be clear, if the good Dr Lukacs only advises the complainants to file in Small Claims Court and only appears as a witness (provided the appropriate fees are paid and forms filed), then he is not practicing law. However, if he writes numerous Statements of Claim and gets intervenor status on too many  lawsuits, then a claim of practicing law without a license can be made by the relevant Law Society. traditionally law societies only restrict the ability of an out of province lawyer from practicing in the subject province. That is why some lawyers are members of multiple provincial law societies. 

On 6/16/2017 at 7:46 PM, blues deville said:

I don't really care about this character at all but advising someone of their legal rights should not be considered practicing law. 

Again, out of court advise is okay. It is what happens inside court and on official documents that can get the good Dr in trouble. 

The intervenor status is what got Dr Lukacs in trouble with the CTA. The ruling was that Dr Lukacs could not make a complaint on behalf of another person. Nor could Dr Lukacs present written materials on behalf of another person (CTA hearings are all conducted through written submissions, there are no oral hearings at present). 

Archived