Question for flight crew......

Kasey

We're going to see greater flight curtailments, now that use-it-or-lose-it slot requirements are being waived in North America and Europe, and with increasingly stringent travel restrictions. The cruise business is about to evaporate, most businesses are cancelling all business travel, most conferences and trade shows are being cancelled through May. The government has reintroduced the EI-based work sharing agreements, voluntary leaves will be very popular even if they can't be used to go abroad and see a bit more of the world. In short, I don't think self-quarantine is going to be such an issue - there will be loads of staff to handle reduced flight schedules. I suspect widebodies will be rotated around the domestic networks of AC to sustain some activity in that part of the fleet, but aside from that, we're in really interesting territory. Some 777-300ERS may be flown with belly cargo only (AC has flown over 20 tonnes of belly cargo even with some passengers, I have a vague recollection of 30 tonnes during a Christmas rush). Cargo rates will go up since capacity is falling, fuel prices are falling, so I suspect those flights could be viable. They may have to have larger flight crew consists to do a fast, same day turnaround,  but I'll leave that to the airline and ACPA to work out.

A lot of MBA case studies are going to be written about this virus.

1 hour ago, Kasey said:

With the "self quarantine" for 14 days put in place in almost all provinces after returning from overseas, how is this being handled as most will have to return to work within that time frame!

?

well I am now working from home for the next 3 weeks to 6 months depending on what happens.  thats one way

At this moment, none of our governments has mandated self-quarantine - it's only a strongly worded recommendation. Most have only gone so far as to restricting gatherings of 250 people or more (which begs the question as to whether or not BC's provincial ban applies to a federally regulated B777 departing from YVR - if such a load even exists in this environment).

the self isolation protocol is not applicable to flight crews unless there is a genuine verified concern that you were exposed.  In that case you would be advised.

BTW  Quarantine and isolation are 2 different things.

Quarantine - No physical contact with ANYONE for the Quarantine period

Isolation - Contact with family at home.

Quarantine is only applicable if you have a verified case and are exhibiting symptoms.

49 minutes ago, boestar said:

Your grandparents were called to war.  You are being called to sit on the sofa.  deal with it

At least they knew who and what they were dealing with.

I'm not normally the conspiracy theory type, but I can't help but think this is a manufactured crisis. The WHO, the environmental extremists, various governments (Russia/China) and all hyper accelerated  by social media.

47 minutes ago, thinair said:

At least they knew who and what they were dealing with.

I'm not normally the conspiracy theory type, but I can't help but think this is a manufactured crisis. The WHO, the environmental extremists, various governments (Russia/China) and all hyper accelerated  by social media.

to what end?

3 minutes ago, boestar said:

to what end?

I'm just spit balling here, so take it for what its worth..

China has taken a big hit from the US in regards to increased tariffs and the whole bring it back to 'merica' mantra.

Russia benefits from the de-stabilization of the western world.

The WHO always seems to ring alarm bells to justify their existence,

The radical environmentalists couldn't be happier now, for obvious reasons...

According to Dr. Michael Osterholm, a man made virus (if you were going there with man-made) would not be this effective.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

to what end?

Just think of the amount of off-the-books debt (pensions, health care, etc) countries can shed with a virus that targets the folks who will need this funding. And the social problems associated with the ratio of retired/working increasing are instantly reduced. If this was indeed an “engineered” virus, it’s brilliant to tackle these issues. Sadly though, it leaves us (slightly) younger folks who use lots of plastic and can’t make soup using potatoes.

Note: My Mum is 82 and most of my Aunts & Uncles are in that age group. I don’t wish any harm to come to them, our any of your parents, grandparents, elderly relatives. Let’s all pull together, don’t hoard food, binge watch some Netflix, get out the board games, wash our hands, etc. in a community-wide effort to help/protect the vulnerable.

Or maybe.....

This is just a plan to ferret out the conspiracy, and Anti Vax type nuts, and people who like to find real world instances that align with their paranoia and then deem it to be true. And once outed, these people will be rounded up and given to the Aliens for mass anal probing (remember when that was a thing?)

6 hours ago, thinair said:

The WHO always seems to ring alarm bells to justify their existence,

The radical environmentalists couldn't be happier now, for obvious reasons...

All too true

Lost half my scuba diving trip 

Air Transat said we had to come home as they would be the last Canadian flight out of the island.. Through YUL Customs etc was a breeze as was immigration. Before we could leave the airport  we were funneled into an area where an ancient, kindly little lady was handing out flyers that stated we "should" self- isolate for 14 days..... ( No one one the island and no one on the plane was infected)

I thought about it and then texted the kids that I was back in Canada,,,,,all three stated that if I did not self isolate  when I got back to my home they would be down to pick up their inheritance in 24 hours..? I guess I will concede to their wishes.

A friend had already picked up some groceries and a spanking brand new thermometer which I am supposed to utilize 4 times a day (in the upper body?).. Normal is 36.2C...I have rung up 36.3 and 36.2 so far.

I guess I should have a lot of outside, post snow/winter yard work done by the time I "get out"....Still intend to do my daily walk but will pass folks at 6 or 6+ feet..

Thank goodness for Netflix, Tivo and a ton of music in my castle............

Hello Devil, Welcome to hell.

I got back from my Scuba Trip to the great Toilet paper caper.  you missed that one.  You are lucky.

Archived