787 at westjet

Critter

On April 20, 2017, we announced our intention to launch a new, ultra-low-cost carrier (ULCC) in Canada, subject to
agreement with our pilots and any required regulatory approvals. Service is expected to commence in late 2017 with an initial
fleet of ten high-density Boeing 737-800s. The ULCC will provide Canadians with no-frills, lower-cost travel options while
broadening WestJet’s growth opportunities and open new market segments by offering more choices to Canadians looking for
lower fares.

Subsequent to the quarter, on May 1, 2017, we entered into a definitive purchase agreement with the Boeing Company
for up to 20 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (Boeing 787) aircraft. The purchase agreement includes commitments for 10 Boeing 787-9
aircraft to be delivered between the first quarter of 2019 and December 2021, with options for an additional 10 aircraft to be
delivered between 2020and 2024.  As part of this purchase agreement, WestJet is converting 15 firm orders for the Boeing 737
MAX aircraft that were to be delivered between 2019 and 2021to options available between 2022 and 2024.

1 hour ago, conehead said:

That's big news! Massive expansion. Congratulations Westjetters, interesting times ahead! :)

The press release says 15 less 737's as part of the 787 order.  So its an even trade in the number of fins.  Its a massive expansion of ASM's but not an expansion of pilots or pilot jobs.

So, perhaps a lot of 737s will move over to the new Ultral Low Cost?  How many pilots will need to move to the new aircraft?

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

So, perhaps a lot of 737s will move over to the new Ultral Low Cost?  How many pilots will need to move to the new aircraft?

Rough guess, 10 pilots per ship?

read the press release.... DELAYED delivery of 737 Max (converted to options for alter delivery)  The growth in capacity remains unchanged.  Thenumber of airframes is reduced for the same growth. 

Deployment of those airframes is what will be interesting.  

Congrats WestJet on the order

It will be interesting to see where they deploy the 787 since they theoretically at least aren't beholden to an alliance or their global hubs. Although I'm surprised they went with the 787 and the -9 at that. That is an awfully big commitment.

I hope they don't go with the Slaveship configuration.

7 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

It will be interesting to see where they deploy the 787 since they theoretically at least aren't beholden to an alliance or their global hubs. Although I'm surprised they went with the 787 and the -9 at that. That is an awfully big commitment.

I hope they don't go with the Slaveship configuration.

Aside from whichever longhaul routes they decide to launch I expect that several of WestJet's southern markets, and probably a couple of of their transcons will be able to use the capacity.  

I'm sure the aircraft will be densely configured.

1 hour ago, internet said:

The 787-9 is very popular, more so than the -8. If the business doesn't work out or the pilots become a problem, couldn't WS just flip the airplanes to someone else?

Quite probably. The fleet chart is vague on how lease expiring would affect the fleet. For example, would the four 767s leave as 787s arrive? So it's not clear yet to me when the amount of widebody lift increases, and how fast it increases.

21 hours ago, Super 80 said:

How would the 787 affect gate utilization at Terminal 3? It seems like that might be complicated. I would think that was at least partially what led to the Max9 conversion.

Currently there are nine gates at terminal 3 that can accommodate the B787-9

7 hours ago, AAS said:

Currently there are nine gates at terminal 3 that can accommodate the B787-9

Are any of these 9 gates available to WS without displacing the incumbent airline? E.g. the gates at the C hammerhead are committed to BA, KL, AF, EK, EY, etc. Then there is TS which does the infill job on the gate plan. 

On 2017-05-02 at 6:55 AM, Homerun said:

The press release says 15 less 737's as part of the 787 order.  So its an even trade in the number of fins.  Its a massive expansion of ASM's but not an expansion of pilots or pilot jobs.

I need to correct my post, just re-read the press release.  There is a reduction of 15 firm Max orders, the 4 767's are leaving, and an order for 10 787's.  So it's a net reduction of 9 fins.  That is a lot less pilot jobs for something being spun as growth.

Archived