Westjet Major Route Announcement

J.K. I made an error in my notes. I had put down that YYZ was 6x not daily. I agree I could be done, in a perfect world, with three.

The problem begins with the last flight of the day 004, scheduled to depart at 16:28. If it is delayed and then cancelled for whatever reason, how does the recovery happen?

With the other two having already left, the soonest either of them can return is 003 the next day, or in real terms, about 17 hours later. If, as mentioned above, the maintenance and "the spare" is located in YYZ, it will still be needed to operate 003 and can't go anywhere. Even if the bullet gets bit, and it leaves within three hours of cancellation notification as a ferry, it is still a 12 hour delay, plus a ferry flight for one aircraft back to YYZ. There is no "real" cushion for a graceful European rescue, as option A now has a ( hopefully) full plane load delayed 17 hours, and a ( hopefully) full next flight as well, leaving the only real recovery option OAL ticket Plussing or the ferry flight with pax arriving 12 hours late, assuming the flight gets cancelled at Schedule departure. Any time fooling around before cancelling is extra.

Fido, I have edited my original remark. I misread the YYZ schedule as being 6x, not daily.

Better for me, I disagree that there is lots of cushion built in. Forget about severe weather; when London (LHR or LGW) even feels it's to humid out, they routinely through in westbound delays of an hour or more.

#DaveTheDog - WestJet flights from London to Canada

Ever wondered how to pay less for flights? Meet #DaveTheDog with his unique lifehack and learn how to fly between the UK and Canada for less.UK: http://wja.co/toCanadaCanada: http://wja.co/toLondon

Posted by

WestJet

on Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Better for me, I disagree that there is lots of cushion built in. Forget about severe weather; when London (LHR or LGW) even feels it's to humid out, they routinely through in westbound delays of an hour or more.

Canadian end has 763 on the ground 4-5.5 hours with the exception of the YVR turns.

I believe the aircraft will rotate as follows YYC-LGW-YVR/YWG-LGW-YYZ-LGW-YYC once every 3 days. This assumes a 3 airplane commitment. The question remains where does the spare airplane go: possibilities are YYC, YVR, or YYZ.

To fix the tight turns on both ends of YVR-LGW flights, one could add YYZ-YVR-YYZ into aircraft 4. I believe the AC network schedulers called this "flying backup" whereby the aircraft is available for rescue missions in both YVR and YYZ.

Can we finally stop pretending that airlines are somehow expanding rationally now? Unlike decades past where, you know, you added 10 widebody aircraft per year. This time they're smarter, not chasing market share, avoiding the boom bust mistakes of prior eras. Ha

By the way no airline is specifically implicated, all guilty. This ends poorly for somebody. Beyond regulation, there is virtually no cure because if you take your foot off the gas, you're lapped. Best case is to shoot for the stars with hope of minimizing the damage once the music stops.

No problem sidestick.

Couldn't agree more on the way this could go south running on minimum contingency. Might as well get some popcorn and wait for the show to start...

EH - I think the all in London approach is a double edged sword... On one hand you have probably the biggest market for European travel, on the other hand you have the most competition. AC serves 8 Canadian cities from LHR, and how many flights from YYZ daily... 4? 5? Transat to LGW from maybe 4 or 5... Plus the lift on UK carriers... BA, Thomas Cook, any others? They are certainly wading into the deep end.

CANADA

September 16, 2015 7:55 am

Updated: September 16, 2015 8:34 am

WestJet bound for Asia, too? Airline sees new ‘opportunity’ it says

By Jamie SturgeonConsumer Affairs Reporter Global News

- A A +

Canada’s second-biggest airline said Wednesday it could open new flights across the Pacific in the not-so-distant future as it builds out a fleet of bigger jets that can handle longer-haul routes.

“There is an opportunity,” Candice Li, WestJet’s interim head of finance, said at an investor conference.

WestJet took possession of a new Boeing 767-300 widebody jet last month, the first of four aircraft the carrier plans to use for new non-stop service toLondon’s Gatwick airport beginning next May.

The new aircraft, which seat 262 passengers or 50 per cent more than WestJet’s current main Boeing 737s, can fly 11 hours compared to the seven-hour maximum of the existing fleet.

“They can definitely make the hop to China and Japan,” Li said at the conference, which was hosted by CIBC.

On Tuesday, WestJet officially announced new routes to London, England, next spring with daily flights from Toronto and several times a week from five other Canadian cities (St. John’s, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver).

Experts say WestJet’s London expansion will likely see airfares to the United Kingdom drop for Canadian travellers. Introductory pricing on flights to London start between $199 and $299 for a one-way ticket, taxes included.

In response, Air Canada has said it will begin flying its lower-cost Rouge service into Gatwick next summer.

Adding new routes across the Pacific would add another layer of complexity, Li said, not to mention the hefty cost of purchasing additional widebody aircraft. The focus for now is squarely on WestJet’s transatlantic expansion.

“We’re trying to get more learnings before we go bigger,” she said.

Say what?

Must be "WestJet" speak using medical input. :Grin-Nod:

Learnings

Learning can be the progressive form of the verb learn, so that you are in the process of acquiring knowledge. Learning is also a synonym for knowledge, or information acquired and retained in someone’s mind. It can be an adjective describing an object as something that will give the user more knowledge.

Learnings is a pluralization of an erroneous form of learning as a singular noun. Said singular noun (e.g., a learning) does not exist, at least according to most dictionaries. Colloquially, especially in the medical field, learnings means specific items that were newly discovered or learned.

There are many synonyms for learnings that are more conventional, including lessons and studies.

Will the folks out of YVR be attracted to WestJet's new service or will they perhaps want to try:

British Airways Announces First A380 Service in Vancouver

July 30, 2015

New York, US July 30 - - British Airways has announced that from May 1, 2016 it will begin flying its state-of-the-art Airbus A380 superjumbo daily between Vancouver International Airport, Canada and London Heathrow, UK. This marks the first A380 for the city of Vancouver and will be the only scheduled A380 service in western Canada.

All four Canadian cities that British Airways serves will now have the latest aircraft in British Airways’ fleet, with Toronto, Montreal and Calgary operating the 787 Dreamliner. Tickets for the new service are available to buy from today.

Robert Antoniuk, British Airways’ Vice President Operations West, said “We’re excited that our British Airways customers in Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest will be able to experience the newest addition to our fleet, with spacious cabins and extensive entertainment options. This is the culmination of a multi-billion pound investment in services that we know will further enhance the premium experience that our customers expect from British Airways.”

“It has been nine years since Airbus first brought the A380 to YVR as part of its test flight schedule, and since that time much has changed—but not our appetite to see this superjumbo in action on a commercial route,” said Craig Richmond, President & CEO, Vancouver Airport Authority. “I wish to congratulate British Airways, one of our longest-standing airline partners, for putting an A380 on the YVR-Heathrow route. To see this incredible aircraft return to YVR with scheduled service will be very exciting.”

British Airways’ A380 Service

British Airways will operate the A380 daily from Vancouver to London for the summer season. The largest commercial airliner in the sky, British Airways’ A380 can accommodate up to 469 customers in four cabins across two full decks.

• The First cabin features 14 luxurious suites with 30 percent more personal space than the previous generation.
  • 97 Club World (business class) seats that convert into full flat beds.
  • The popular World Traveller Plus (premium economy) cabin will have 55 seats and 303 seats will be available in World Traveller (economy).

The A380 is optimized for wellness, with quiet, spacious cabins and an advanced cabin air conditioning system that allows 15 different temperature control zones and cabin air that is changed every three minutes.

Enhanced Entertainment

Customers can enjoy on-demand seat-back entertainment, with more than 1,600 hours of programing. It features 130 movies and 650 TV shows from around the world along with an extensive audio selection - something for every taste. The Mindfulness For Travel video series has been created exclusively for British Airways and the advanced personal inflight entertainment system features wellbeing exercises, therapeutic audio playlists and a Flying with Confidence video.

Customers can book online at ba.com or by calling 1-800 AIRWAYS.

MEDIA CONTACT: Americas Communications 212 716 0477

Say what?

Li is a great accountant and dedicated WestJetter, she would be a good fit for the CFO job.

She does however have a a lot of unique sayings, so directly quoting with the term "Learnings" would not be out of character. Her nickname many years ago (back in the days of the old head office where Finance was "Beanland") was "squirrelly", I don't know if that carried through to Controller or Interim CFO.

The 767 addition to the fleet is very exciting for Westjet.

What facility will Westjet use for 767 sim training. Only four aircraft doesn't justify their own simulator now but perhaps with the long delayed arrival of the Dreamliner elsewhere, 767 sims are available at better prices.

The reality is, that running an airline on a worldwide basis every day of the year isn't cheap or easy, and entering this new phase isn't going to be without its pains. You can plan for and pay insurance against those pains, or you can roll the dice and hope they won't happen.

You should see how the well this dynamic is playing out within Parkerflot as America West dudes bring what they perceive to be glaringly obvious insights to the backwards and wasteful neanderthals in Fort Worth.

Is that the same pond that that ABX is fishing in?

Yes, several exQF 763 with GE engines have gone to ABX.

My info has it that these 4 maybe on the plus side of 100,000 hours and pushing 20,000 cycles already.

A new coat of paint is one thing, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

High cycles but low hours for their age. These were QF domestic confgured 763s that liked to frequent the SYD-MEL-BNE triangle.

You will find opinions on both sides when it comes to Li as WS CFO. There certainly was a Squirrely in beanland but it wasn't Candice. Squirrely is no longer with WS. On of the casualties when DP and JP gave of the CFO title.

??????????????????

Archived