YVR

internet

Apparently local officials failed to learn any lessons from the last time the Canucks lost in the Stanley Cup final. :Scratch-Head: There should have been a very strong police presence before the game even started.

Those were NOT sports fans.

Good to see several high quality facial photos. Hope the police can lay some serious charges.

The first thought that struck me was that I would have expected this in Montreal but not from Vancouver. sad.gif

Actually, Montreal wins Stanley Cups...

But no matter. This will not do Vancouver's image any lasting damage. The image is far too positive for that. But the police who claimed to be ready for this - and clearly weren't - have a lot of explaining to do. Too bad. Here in Toronto we're too busy agonizing (well not me anyway) over the "rough" treatment a pack of trouble-making demonstrators got at the G-20 summit a year ago. As far as I'm concerned, when confronted with situations like that, or last night's rioting, you send in the riot squad and crack a few skulls early and it's the most effective form of crowd control. Screw the bleeding hearts. Better a few bleeding heads.

Actually, Montreal wins Stanley Cups...

But no matter. This will not do Vancouver's image any lasting damage. The image is far too positive for that. But the police who claimed to be ready for this - and clearly weren't - have a lot of explaining to do. Too bad. Here in Toronto we're too busy agonizing (well not me anyway) over the "rough" treatment a pack of trouble-making demonstrators got at the G-20 summit a year ago. As far as I'm concerned, when confronted with situations like that, or last night's rioting, you send in the riot squad and crack a few skulls early and it's the most effective form of crowd control. Screw the bleeding hearts. Better a few bleeding heads.

:cool::tu:

As what happened in montreal years ago, I hope the police are able to use photos and track down these goons and send them all to jail.

In my mind this is exactly the same as the thuggery that surrounded the G8 summit. Legitimate protests were hijacked by anarchists.

These people are not hockey fans. They are trouble makers looking for a place and an excuse to cause a little anarchy. How hard is it to buy a Canucks jersey and blend in with the crowd? It is great to see that people were taking pictures and posting them on Facebook and Twitter. This should go a long way in isolating the trouble makers and could help to restore the city's reputation. :tu:

Absolutely disgusting that a bunch of hooligans can destroy the reputation of a fine city and the end of a fantastic series...shame!

At the same time, we can only blame ourselves as society has on several occasions been very critical of any Police force which may result in injury. The way I see it, we either empower the Police or these idiots! Which is it? :Scratch-Head:

In my mind this is exactly the same as the thuggery that surrounded the G8 summit. Legitimate protests were hijacked by anarchists.

These people are not hockey fans. They are trouble makers looking for a place and an excuse to cause a little anarchy. How hard is it to buy a Canucks jersey and blend in with the crowd? It is great to see that people were taking pictures and posting them on Facebook and Twitter. This should go a long way in isolating the trouble makers and could help to restore the city's reputation. :tu:

Absolutely disgusting that a bunch of hooligans can destroy the reputation of a fine city and the end of a fantastic series...shame!

At the same time, we can only blame ourselves as society has on several occasions been very critical of any Police force which may result in injury. The way I see it, we either empower the Police or these idiots! Which is it? :Scratch-Head:

I say police sharpshooters on rooftops with rubber bullets.

As a hockey fan who is proud of the efforts of our Vancouver Canucks and who looks forward to next year’s Season, I am disgusted with a few instigators who did not go downtown to watch hockey, and I am disgusted that many ordinary people still allow themselves to be led to ravage their own beautiful city through mere disappointment. Clearly, we, and our Vancouver Police, have learned nothing since 1994.

Only partly in jest, perhaps we should take a look at how Singapore would handle instigators of such riots. What would be the effect upon those who are thinking of inciting such behaviour, of a public paddling, where it is clearly understood that for those who incite and do damage, the notions of justice will cut both ways?

Some will ask, Is the price of a civil society ironically to be incivility?

If such a firm response seems uncivilized, where is the original civility in the act of rioting, destruction and looting, not to mention putting others, including our police force, in physical danger?

Disappointment is not a social justice issue. A loss in a hockey game?! There was nothing to protest.

Such a firm response has nothing to do with the right to civil protest, which is of a different civil gathering and purpose. The right to gather, protest and speak, which is so important to the political and social process, does not apply when wanton destruction is the clear goal and action of a small group of people.

Many people came downtown to celebrate their team's efforts. Too many however, were just liquored-up lemmings and should have sucked it up and gone home. If they're in the streets, they are fair targets for firm treatment at the hands of our police who are trying to do the job almost all of us want them to do. Asking why comes later. Protecting people from physical harm comes first.

Such instigators, who are often not from the area and who have no interests other than instigating crowds, need to know from now on that they may expect firm handling if caught leading and inciting hooliganism.

The social media so popular now is ironically the way these people are going to be caught.

The danger in advocating such firm responses always lies in finding the balance between civil rights and crowd control. The key word however, is "civil" and such behaviour, disgusting as it is, cannot be permitted to threaten such fundamental rights. So how do we address the next “social disappointment”?

Today the police are damned no matter which way they respond. However, it is our society which tolerates such behaviour in the name of "human rights" who must reflect on what such rights entail. Human rights do not entail rioting, destruction and looting of the kind we witnessed last evening.

The question of control and civil rights is complicated. But what occurred last night, all in the name of “disappointment”, wasn't complicated at all.

Don

Edited for changes

I finally shut the news off at 12:45 am local YVR time last night, and here's my take.

The police were NOT prepared for the extent of the trouble, and as far as I could tell, they really didn't mobilize until almost 12:30 am, which was obviously far too late at the majority of the damage(and injuries) were done.

As for the rioters themselves, I'll classify what I saw 4 ways:

1) a small group of anarchists: These guys intended to spark a riot no matter who won the game, and had nothing to do with the game. The Mayor AND the police tried to blame these guys for the entire riot, however, I'm not convinced. They were prepared for trouble and were well organized and never took off their masks, since they knew better. They moved from place to place quickly and the hockey mob followed their trail of destruction and finished what they started.

2) angry drunk fans: These were the idiots who sometimes thought to cover their faces but more often than not exposed themselves to the camera while defacing property or antagonizing the police. Unprepared and stupid, they were obviously caught up in the moment and thought it was great fun, since there was so little police intervention they took every opportunity presented to them by other rioters(drunks and the anarchists) to burn, loot, fight, etc... all sporting great big grins on their faces as they proved how tough they were... Plenty of easy video and photographic evidence available to identify and convict these jacka55es

3) touristy onlookers: These idiots were particularly annoying. They didn't actually do any damage, yet there they were, in the middle of a riot loving every minute of it with big grins on their faces, posing for photos and videos in front of burning cars; some feigning outrage yet still standing there in the middle of it spectating for hours and loving the entertainment. Not just 'young men' either as the news would have you believe... many women egging the men on were also present in great numbers. As for age, yes there were a majority of 20-somethings and younger, but every age group was represented in this group. These people were also cheering on the active rioters and as far as I'm concerned they should be held just as accountable as the active rioters by preventing the police from doing their jobs properly. The CBC news crew had to deal constantly with these people who thought it would be great to get their faces on camera acting like it was a great party and a great time 'look-at-me-mom' expressions on their faces. The Facebook and Youtube generation were all out there in full force as hundreds of cameras and phones were recording all the 'fun'.

4) people who actually tried to stop trouble: Good for you for trying, but there weren't nearly enough of you, and you should have gotten the hell out of there so the police could have done their jobs properly.

Vancouverites fight back against rioters through social media

VANCOUVER - As city officials and police attempt to recover from the worst riot Vancouver has seen since 1994, helpful citizens are armed with a new tool this time around: social media.

Over 13,000 people have joined a Facebook event called "Post-Riot Clean-up - Let's Help Vancouver," to aid in clean-up efforts across downtown Vancouver this morning.

"Once the embarrassing rioting has ended in Vancouver let's all show the world what Vancouver is really about by helping rebuild and clean up so it is better than it was before," the event page says.

Citizens armed with plastic bags and brooms were spotted sweeping broken glass on Granville Street this morning.

The online outcry against the riot began within minutes of the first fire breaking out outside the Canada Post building on Georgia Street, around 7:45 p.m.

Witnesses flooded Twitter and Facebook with messages about the ensuing havoc. Photos and videos of perpetrators appeared in real-time on Tumblr, Flicker and other photo blogging sites.

Vancouver police tweeted that anyone with photos or video of people committing criminal acts hold on to them for evidence purposes. Police will provide more information on how to submit photos soon.

A Facebook page called "Vancouver Riot Pics: Post Your Photos," has been "liked" by 33,000 people and gotten more than 60,000 comments. Hundreds of photos have already been collected.

Many photos are simply people posing for snapshots on top of flipped cars and in front of violent mayhem. However, some pictures clearly show individuals setting fires, smashing property and even one inserting a Molotov cocktail into a police car's gas tank.

Their faces are clearly identifiable, and many are committing criminal acts in broad daylight.

Many people took screen captures of Facebook status updates made by smug hooligans, including one who bragged he "punched a f---en pig in head with riot gear on knocked him to the ground" and "burnt some smart cars."

A friend quickly commented to warn him the status could be used as evidence.

Vancouver police also requested evidence from citizens in 1994, following the riot that ensued when the New York Rangers beat the Canucks in the Stanley Cup final.

At that time, police set up kiosks in public areas, and asked for help identifying anonymous people in photos.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1PSiRRTl9

I attended a regular season hockey game in Germany a couple of years ago between a couple of teams with passionate fans and a serious rivalry.

I was very surprised to see the overwhelming show of force by the police, both at the game and outside in the general vicinity after the game.

Granted, different circumstances, but the outcome was precisely as it should have been in Vancouver. There were no issues at all. No one would have dared.

There are those who firmly believe society should "hug all the thugs".

What happened last night in Vancouver is a direct consequence of these sorts of permissive attitudes and misguided societal beliefs that actions should have very limited consequences.

Perhaps this disgusting event will result in a sea change in namby pamby thinking. Somehow, I doubt it.

Pittsburgh lost the Superbowl, no riot. Texas, (Dallas), lost the World Series, no riot. Miami lost the NBA champs, no riot. Meanwhile, so called "world class" Vancouver goes ape sh*t and sets the city on fire.

JMHO

A. Hun

:Furious:

post-5306-0-05599400-1308258955_thumb.jp

It was "Generation ME" out there in full force.. I wonder if all that bad parenting is finally reaping what was sowed?

If that is the case how do you explain the Richard riots in 55 in YUL, the 86 riots in Montreal after the habs won the cup or the previous YVR riots in 94 when the Canucks lost to the Rangers? I don't think this is a parenting or generational issue.

For all those try to make the defense "these aren't hockey fans" - YES they were. There may have been some professional anarchists but looking at the pcitures the majority were 20something fans. The classy thing would be for the Canucks organization to make some contribution to the clean-up fund.

The blame extends from the mayor on down, for encouraging this many people to descend on downtown Vancouver to the police for being woefully unprepared.

Archived