YVR

internet

I was blown away at how social media was used to cover the riots. I found myself glued to my phone/computer for updates instead of watching the news. The Province did a fantastic job covering the riots via Twitter. They were providing updates based on the tweets of people downtown. Those tweets contained either pictures or video (via cell phone) that was uploaded and available online instantaneously.

I spent a few hours last night watching footage on youtube and can't believe how stupid people are. I think as bad as the riot was/is, there are a lot of positives to come out of it.

First, hundreds and thousands of people will be prosecuted rather swiftly (many reports of people arrested and charged already - including Brock Anton).

Second, I think people will have reservations about "acting out" when there are dozens/hundreds/thousands of cameras, cell phones, and video cameras pointed at you.

Third, I think this reinforces the positive impact social media can have. It seemed like only minutes into the riot there were already pages on Facebook setup to help "cleanup" the mess. Links to these pages and websites spread like wildfire on my Twitter and Facebook feeds with specific info on times/locations to meet up and what to bring with you. Concurrent to the riot, there has been a strong movement to get out and help. I think that's positive and it's a lot easier to do with the rise and popularity of social media.

This had nothing to do with the Canucks losing, these morons were just using the crowd cover to commit violence and mayhem. After they started they were joined by more drunk idiots.

I would like to see an all out police/public effort to identify and charge these people with the most serious charges that can be laid. Then have a special tribunal court quickly hear the case and sentence them. For the anarchists that started it all, part of the punishment, in my world, would be to cut them off receiving any government benefits for life. No pension, no medical, no drivers license, no nothing!!! :angry_smile:

The water polo playing jackball can kiss his US dreams of cross-border shopping and Las Vegas vacations goodbye forever.

US Customs and Immigration don't look too kindly on people caught torching police cars.

:cool:

The water polo playing jackball can kiss his US dreams of cross-border shopping and Las Vegas vacations goodbye forever.

US Customs and Immigration don't look too kindly on people caught torching police cars.

:cool:

And evidently he has a scholorship to a Cdn. university. I would think that would be gonzo as well.

There was an interview on the CTV news last night with a "facebooker" who was posting inflamatory comments on his page. His boss saw them, called him in and fired him. :Clap-Hands:

\

Hopefully more actions like this will take place.

Of course the young moron was all teary eyed and apologetic the next day, after he lost his job.

It's curious that of the few sole individuals who took a stand against the destruction gathered no support on the scene and were left to fend for themselves. Had one or two others who saw the senselessness and joined the sole defender trying to stop it, I wonder if the violence would have been quelled?

Then again, if you had used any level of force to defend property, you yourself could be brought up on charges, or so I'm told by my police acquaintances.

I was impressed with the polo player's parents who petitioned to wave the Youth Offender's Act so that their son's name could be made public. I am sure they were very disappointed that he lacked good judgement in the first place, but at least they stood for what's right. It could be a valuable lesson for his future - if he takes it to heart.

I'm not so sure that wasn't a self serving move on the part of that family. The kid's name was already public. When the picture first came out, the parents said he didn't do it. Then when the video came out, proving that he did do it, I think they waived the Young Offender's Act so that his apology would be public. I think they're just scrambling to keep the kid from losing his scholarship and Olympic hopes, and what parent wouldn't, but I would still like to see him face some serious consequences.

I think the rioters are idiots and should be held criminally responsible and made to pay for damages if it can be proven. That being said I don't think the water polo player should be denied potential Olympic spots (if he is that good). The scholarship question is another matter, if a school thinks this is not the type of person they want on their campus that is their decision.

What the guy did was idiotic but nobody was killed or seriously hurt as the result of his actions (as far as we know).

I don't think anyone is saying give him a let because he is an athlete.

I am saying that all should be held responsible for their actions and that the punishment should be what the law calls for, not excessive beyond that because Vancouver was embarassed by a bunch of their hockey fans.

The reason for the public apology is that the family was getting death threats and threats to their property. The kid's father, a surgeon, has supspended his practice and moved his family.

They petitioned to have his name published to try to protect themselves.

I don't think anyone is saying give him a let because he is an athlete. .

Athlete??? I don't think too many people are aware of many up-and-coming-water-polo-stars.... I've never seen the game demonstrated. Is it an Olympic event? Oh, wait... "MARCO"........"POLO"....... that game?

Athlete??? I don't think too many people are aware of many up-and-coming-water-polo-stars.... I've never seen the game demonstrated. Is it an Olympic event? Oh, wait... "MARCO"........"POLO"....... that game?

Probably worth noting that the Canadian Mens team has almost as futile record as The Toronto Maple Leafs

Men's water polo at the Olympics was the among the first team sports introduced at the 1900 games (along with cricket, rugby, football (soccer), polo (with horses), rowing and tug of war).[8] Women's water polo became an Olympic sport at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games after political protests from the Australian women's team. Such protests were rewarded when Australia won the gold medal match against the United States with a "buzzer-beater" last-minute goal, taken from outside the seven meter line.

Some of the best ever include Spain's Manuel Estiarte who played in a record six Olympics and led in scoring for four of them. Dezső Gyarmati of Hungary won water polo medals at five successive Olympic Games (gold 1952, 1956, 1964; silver 1948; bronze 1960), a record in water polo.[9] Another major figure in the sport was Tamás Faragó,[10] who led Hungary to Olympic Medals in 1972, 1976 and 1980. The play of American Terry Schroeder[11] led the United States to its first Olympic silver medals in 1984 and 1988.

Main article: Blood In The Water match

The most famous water polo match in history is probably the 1956 Summer Olympics semi-final match between Hungary and the Soviet Union. As the athletes left for the games, the Hungarian revolution began, and the Soviet army crushed the uprising. Many of the Hungarian athletes vowed never to return home, and felt their only means of fighting back was by victory in the pool. The confrontation was the most bloody and violent water polo game in history, in which the pool reputedly turned red from blood. The Hungarians defeated the Soviets 4-0 before the game was called off in the final minute to prevent angry Hungarians in the crowd reacting to Valentin Prokopov punching Ervin Zador's eye open. The Hungarians went on to win the Olympic gold medal by defeating Yugoslavia 2-1 in the final. Half of the Hungarian Olympic delegation defected after the games. A documentary by Lucy Liu, Freedom's Fury, premiered in April 2006, recounting the events of the 1956 Hungarian uprising and climaxing with this politicized game.

Well; once again, I have exposed my ignorance. I was not aware of the sports' popularity. Anyway, here's this guy with his his picture taken as he is attempting to ignite the fuel tank of a police car. Slam, dunk. No Olympic team. No university scholarship. How 'bout some jail time???

Archived