AirCanada News / Jazz News / Rouge News

Having operated a number of these runs myself, many of them are pretty skinny at the best times and its easy to see why they have been cancelled. Much of the NFLD flying was done by EVAS in the 1900D which has likely entirely disappeared form the AC banner now. With the summer tourist season being a bust this year on the east cost its not likely worth it to operate for just the winter based on the loads, crappy weather and deicing costs.

With Jazz retiring the D8-100's many of these markets cant support a 50 seat aircraft at all. How many of these stations even had AC staff? Most were Jazz or contracted.

There's a reason Porter has delayed re-entry into the market until the end of August now

On 7/2/2020 at 12:11 PM, rudder said:

Dear Maritime cities/towns,

Air Canada is NOT a Crown Corporation.

Suggest you contact smaller local and Provincial third tier carriers to see if specific city-city service would be financially viable.

Or contact WJ/Porter.

Most probably complained and vowed never to fly AC again.  Their wish has come true.

1 hour ago, 330Heavy said:

Interesting quote ""We are obviously disappointed by the decision by Air Canada to cut services to some regions. We know Air Canada profits from the most profitable routes in the country but we expect them to serve ... people who live in more distant regions," Trudeau told a news conference."

18 hours ago, Marshall said:

We are obviously disappointed by the decision by Air Canada to cut services to some regions. We know Air Canada profits from the most profitable routes in the country but we expect them to serve ... people who live in more distant regions," Trudeau told a news conference."

Wow.  He really is as ignorant as Trump.

Edited by Specs

On 7/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, Bobcaygeon said:

With Jazz retiring the D8-100's many of these markets cant support a 50 seat aircraft at all. 

Per seat cost of the -300 is only about 10% higher than the -100 (if my aging memory serves me right)

51 minutes ago, Fido said:

Per seat cost of the -300 is only about 10% higher than the -100 (if my aging memory serves me right)

load factor?

1 hour ago, Fido said:

CASM has no relationship to load factor

I always thought it did if the aircraft was less than half full.  

Actually, I believe that the cost of operating the Dash 300 is only 10% more than operating a Dash 100 (not per seat), meaning that its CASM is 20% less than the Dash 100, making it the preferred aircraft between the 2. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AvWatcher said:

Actually, I believe that the cost of operating the Dash 300 is only 10% more than operating a Dash 100 (not per seat), meaning that its CASM is 20% less than the Dash 100, making it the preferred aircraft between the 2. 

Digging back into the memory banks for the right words:

The trip cost of a -300 is 10% higher than a -100.

Now you can see why it is so hard to teach people the basics when the teacher stumbles too.

After using the same slide in presentations for a couple of years a young student questioned it and again I had to admit that I was in error.

The Route Cancellations were / are a direct Jab at the government and a pressure point to achieve a goal or opening up the travel sector.

AC is saddled with the requirement to serve many of these un profitable routes.  The do no choose to fly these routes, they are mandated to under law.  Withdrawing the service applies pressure on Trudeau to make the necessary changes to get us flying again. (by US I mean all airlines).  Calin isn't stupid by any means and he is applying pressure where it hurts.

5 hours ago, boestar said:

AC is saddled with the requirement to serve many of these un profitable routes.  The do no choose to fly these routes, they are mandated to under law.

Where is that written? 

1 hour ago, Specs said:

Where is that written? 

All Air Lines in Canada  serving destinations within Canada, can discontinue such service under the following. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-88-58/page-4.html#h-914405.  I don'[t know of any points that AC must service but perhaps Dagger can advise us. 

Reduction or Discontinuance of Domestic Services

[SOR/2001-71, s. 1]
  • 14 (1) For the purposes of subsection 64(1) of the Act, a licensee proposing to discontinue or to reduce the frequency of a domestic service to a point to less than one flight per week, where, as a result of the proposed discontinuance or reduction, there will be only one licensee or no licensee offering at least one flight per week to that point, shall give notice of the proposal

• (a) to the Agency, to the Minister and to the minister responsible for transportation in the province or territory where the area to be affected is located, by sending them a notice in the form set out in Schedule III; and

• (b) to holders of domestic licences operating in the area to be affected by the proposal and to persons resident therein, by publishing notice in the form set out in Schedule III in newspapers with the largest circulation in that area in each official language, the names of which newspapers shall be obtainable from the Agency on request by the licensee.

• (1.1) For the purposes of subsection 64(1.1) of the Act, a licensee proposing to discontinue a year-round non-stop scheduled air service between two points in Canada, where the proposed discontinuance would result in a reduction, as compared to the week before the proposal is to take effect, of at least 50% of the weekly passenger-carrying capacity of all licensees operating year-round non-stop scheduled air services between those two points, shall give notice of the proposal to the persons, and in the manner, referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b).

• (2) The date of the notice referred to in paragraph (1)(b) shall be the same as the date on which the notice appears in the newspaper.

2 hours ago, Airband said:

Under the CTA there is a requirement to provide notice of discontinuance (120 days - less in some circumstances) but no obligation to maintatin service.

Force Majuer

57 minutes ago, Fido said:

Force Majuer

Except for one thing, they do have the force of a superior court and can  force the airline to continue service for a period of time, that has been used in the past.  But of course they also have the same force to apply to other carriers (WestJet for instance) if they are the sole carrier that would provide the service, smart money is to get out first and leave the other carrier holding the bag so to speak.  

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

All Air Lines in Canada  serving destinations within Canada, can discontinue such service under the following. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-88-58/page-4.html#h-914405.  I don'[t know of any points that AC must service but perhaps Dagger can advise us. 

I'm not aware of any restrictions unless AC has agreements with particular local or provincial governments to provide a given service. I suspect I would have heard about such agreements by now if there were any.

Air Canada resumes passenger flights from Ireland

News from The Irish Times – link to story

Service from Dublin to Toronto will operate on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Colin Gleeson | 6 July 2020

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner service between Dublin and Toronto  will also carry a range of commodities, including general cargo

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner service between Dublin and Toronto will also carry a range of commodities, including general cargo

Air Canada has resumed passenger flights from Ireland, with an initial three-times weekly, non-stop service between Dublin and its Toronto hub.

The service features Air Canada signature class, premium economy and economy seating.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft will also carry a range of commodities, including general cargo and temperature-controlled goods, machinery and industrial parts, and aircraft spares.

In addition, it will carry pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, manufactured by both Irish and Ireland-based multinational companies.

The Government is currently advising against all non-essential travel, although it is also drawing up a “green list” of countries that it believes are safe to visit.

The outbound service from Dublin to Toronto will operate on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and the return service from Toronto on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

Share this:

15 hours ago, dagger said:

I'm not aware of any restrictions unless AC has agreements with particular local or provincial governments to provide a given service. I suspect I would have heard about such agreements by now if there were any.

my mistake.  I was under the impression that the clause was in there to continue to provide air services to rural communities.  Must be confusing it with something else.

14 minutes ago, boestar said:

my mistake.  I was under the impression that the clause was in there to continue to provide air services to rural communities.  Must be confusing it with something else.

The US has that but the airlines bid on providing the services and then the US Gov. gives them a revenue guarantee on the route.

What is Essential Air Service?

About this Document  https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy/what-essential-air-service

Under this program, the Department determines the minimum level of service required at each eligible community by specifying a hub through which the community is linked to the national network, a minimum number of round trips and available seats that must be provided to that hub, certain characteristics of the aircraft to be used, and the maximum permissible number of intermediate stops to the hub.

The program's guidelines were codified by rulemaking as a Policy Statement of the Department in Volume 14, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 398. Where necessary, the Department pays subsidy to a carrier to ensure that the specified level of service is provided. Most eligible points, of course, do not require subsidized service; as of April 1, 2009, the Department was subsidizing service at 108 communities in the contiguous 48 states, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, and 45 in Alaska.

image.png