AirCanada News / Jazz News / Rouge News

it wasn’t just incentives that drove and then slowed EV purchases.

The carbon tax on fuel has been an abysmal failure.  In its theoretical form it was supposed to slowly increase fuel prices, which in turn would influence people’s choices when purchasing a vehicle.

It worked for a while and then oil crashed.  Fuel became cheap, even as the carbon tax increased, and buying trends reverted back to gas.  

I would suggest that a Carbon Tax on fuel, on a commodity that fluctuates so much, won’t provide the desired affect.  At least not in a consistent way.  

We need a much more consistent way to influence vehicle purchases.  

The easiest and most effective would be to mandate the end of gas vehicles sales by a certain date.  

More news on the Covid-19 pre-flight testing front...

United Airlines Becomes First US Carrier to Make COVID-19 Tests Available to Customers

Starting on October 15, customers traveling on United from San Francisco International Airport to Hawaiʻi will have the option to take a rapid test at the airport or a self-collected, mail-in test ahead of their trip.

The launch coincides with Hawaiʻi’s start of a pre-travel testing program that enables travelers to get a COVID-19 test no earlier than 72 hours prior to their flight arrival in Hawai‘i to avoid the 14-day mandatory quarantine if the test comes back negative for the virus.

https://mauinow.com/2020/09/24/united-airlines-becomes-first-us-carrier-to-make-covid-19-tests-available-to-customers/?fbclid=IwAR0rS-QTL6It7QmzQJe0UufsWSTzfKJMkA1xgAP6QogNo6x30xtMmi_-GDI

23 hours ago, Turbofan said:

it wasn’t just incentives that drove and then slowed EV purchases.

The carbon tax on fuel has been an abysmal failure.  In its theoretical form it was supposed to slowly increase fuel prices, which in turn would influence people’s choices when purchasing a vehicle.

It worked for a while and then oil crashed.  Fuel became cheap, even as the carbon tax increased, and buying trends reverted back to gas.  

I would suggest that a Carbon Tax on fuel, on a commodity that fluctuates so much, won’t provide the desired affect.  At least not in a consistent way.  

We need a much more consistent way to influence vehicle purchases.  

The easiest and most effective would be to mandate the end of gas vehicles sales by a certain date.  

That's probably true for a jurisdiction with high gas prices to begin with. Sweden's experience over the past 30 years is that the carbon tax has either helped lower the country's total emissions or coincided with the drop in emissions. In that time, Sweden has enjoyed steady economic growth. 

Rapid Covid-19 testing @ Air Canada...

970634845_ScreenShot2020-10-01at8_21_18AM.thumb.png.eac6a99267f2017a2053b0c29457dc36.png

"Air Canada continues to explore various options for testing for COVID-19 and we are finalizing an initial order from Abbott for 25,000 rapid test kits for voluntary employee testing now that it has been approved for use in Canada. Understanding that we will need to live alongside this virus for the short- to medium-term, we have been pursuing relationships and a layered approach as a way to keep our employees and our customers safe.  We believe testing will be key to protecting employees and customers until such time as a COVID-19 vaccine is available. Rapid testing is also a means to enable governments to relax current blanket travel restrictions and quarantines in a measured way while still safeguarding the health and safety of the public," said Dr. Jim Chung, Air Canada's Chief Medical Officer.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-10-01-Air-Canada-Finalizing-Initial-Order-for-Newly-Approved-COVID-19-Rapid-Testing-Kits-from-Abbott?fbclid=IwAR0yMw81LfLgyIytZX8KA4zNXfqzdCW-aUc2ZSaKcvqA7VsI0kXH08pBsWQ

• Like 1

Air Canada to Pilot Application of TraceSCAN Technology for COVID-19 Contact Tracing in the Workplace

air_canada_logo.jpg?w=1024

MONTREAL, Oct. 7, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ – Air Canada announced today it plans to explore the application of COVID-19 contact tracing technology in its workplace using the Bluetooth enabled TraceSCAN app and wearable technology developed by Canadian-based Facedrive Inc.

“The health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern to Air Canada and is key to restoring our operations safely for our customers. Air Canada has embraced a science-based approach to managing COVID-19 and as part of this has committed to evaluate the use of new technologies like TraceSCAN’s wearables. We are enthusiastic about exploring the use of TraceSCAN because this Canadian technology has the potential to provide another layer of safety for our employees, so they can focus on taking care of our customers,” said Samuel Elfassy, Vice President, Safety at Air Canada.

“Our project with Air Canada is ground-breaking and provides another critical example of how TraceSCAN supplements the capability of the Canadian government-sponsored COVID Alert App. TraceSCAN will allow Air Canada to provide further protection to their employees, especially as many of these employees work in environments where the use of cell phone technology is not possible,” said Sayan Navaratnam, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Facedrive Inc. “We are very pleased to help Air Canada explore ways to provide additional protection to their employees. We hope this pilot will be a model for other airlines to follow and look forward to continuing to work with industry to protect Canadians as our country returns to its normal working and travel schedules.”

The technology behind TraceSCAN was developed in partnership with leading minds at the University of Waterloo.

“TraceSCAN is an AI-powered solution for contact tracing in the workplace which can track staff exposure to COVID-19 without GPS information. The technology provides a risk-based assessment of an individual’s exposure within dynamic and dense work environments. The technology enables the creation and management of safer work environments needed during this critical phase of the pandemic,” said William Melek, University of Waterloo mechanical and mechatronics engineering professor.

Air Canada has been at the forefront of the airline industry in responding to COVID-19, including being among the first carriers globally to require customer face coverings onboard and the first airline in the Americas to take customers’ temperatures prior to boarding. In May it introduced a comprehensive program, Air Canada CleanCare+, to apply industry leading biosafety measures at each stage of the journey. Air Canada has also partnered with medical and technology organizations to further advance biosafety across its business, including with McMaster HealthLabs for an airport arrivals COVID-19 study, the Cleveland Clinic Canada for medical advisory services, Abbott for rapid testing, Spartan Bioscience to explore portable COVID-19 testing technology and, since 2019, with Toronto-based BlueDot for real-time infectious disease global monitoring.

TraceSCAN Wearables is an innovative technology, combining AI-enabled mobile application along with wearables devices built on the nRF52 Bluetooth chipset, which is used by the world’s leading wearable manufacturers. Facedrive Health developed industry-specific TraceSCAN wearable technology to slow the spread of COVID-19 at the workplace through wristbands, wearable tags worn around the neck or pods that can be kept in the pocket.

Share this:

Interesting. I tried to download the Covid tracing app from Health Canada, but it won't work on my phone. Apparently, my iphone 6 is obsolete and won't support the app. Oh well.. I'm not buying a new phone any time soon.

23 minutes ago, conehead said:

Interesting. I tried to download the Covid tracing app from Health Canada, but it won't work on my phone. Apparently, my iphone 6 is obsolete and won't support the app. Oh well.. I'm not buying a new phone any time soon.

Not obsolete...Those that produced the app felt that most Canadians had moved up to newer phones. They were aware that it would not work on iPhone 6 or earlier iPhones but felt if they prefaced the production of the app and made that fact known they would be seen as Apple and Samsung promoters.....so little if anything was said when the App was launched.

However it created an uproar when it was found that many had not upgraded their phones and were complaining about it to Health Canada.....I dunno, but I guess they were in a hurry to get the app out there before COVID was over but......little did they foresee.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, Malcolm said:

Air Canada to Pilot Application of TraceSCAN Technology for COVID-19 Contact Tracing in the Workplace

air_canada_logo.jpg?w=1024

MONTREAL, Oct. 7, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ – Air Canada announced today it plans to explore the application of COVID-19 contact tracing technology in its workplace using the Bluetooth enabled TraceSCAN app and wearable technology developed by Canadian-based Facedrive Inc.

“The health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern to Air Canada and is key to restoring our operations safely for our customers. Air Canada has embraced a science-based approach to managing COVID-19 and as part of this has committed to evaluate the use of new technologies like TraceSCAN’s wearables. We are enthusiastic about exploring the use of TraceSCAN because this Canadian technology has the potential to provide another layer of safety for our employees, so they can focus on taking care of our customers,” said Samuel Elfassy, Vice President, Safety at Air Canada.

“Our project with Air Canada is ground-breaking and provides another critical example of how TraceSCAN supplements the capability of the Canadian government-sponsored COVID Alert App. TraceSCAN will allow Air Canada to provide further protection to their employees, especially as many of these employees work in environments where the use of cell phone technology is not possible,” said Sayan Navaratnam, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Facedrive Inc. “We are very pleased to help Air Canada explore ways to provide additional protection to their employees. We hope this pilot will be a model for other airlines to follow and look forward to continuing to work with industry to protect Canadians as our country returns to its normal working and travel schedules.”

The technology behind TraceSCAN was developed in partnership with leading minds at the University of Waterloo.

“TraceSCAN is an AI-powered solution for contact tracing in the workplace which can track staff exposure to COVID-19 without GPS information. The technology provides a risk-based assessment of an individual’s exposure within dynamic and dense work environments. The technology enables the creation and management of safer work environments needed during this critical phase of the pandemic,” said William Melek, University of Waterloo mechanical and mechatronics engineering professor.

Air Canada has been at the forefront of the airline industry in responding to COVID-19, including being among the first carriers globally to require customer face coverings onboard and the first airline in the Americas to take customers’ temperatures prior to boarding. In May it introduced a comprehensive program, Air Canada CleanCare+, to apply industry leading biosafety measures at each stage of the journey. Air Canada has also partnered with medical and technology organizations to further advance biosafety across its business, including with McMaster HealthLabs for an airport arrivals COVID-19 study, the Cleveland Clinic Canada for medical advisory services, Abbott for rapid testing, Spartan Bioscience to explore portable COVID-19 testing technology and, since 2019, with Toronto-based BlueDot for real-time infectious disease global monitoring.

TraceSCAN Wearables is an innovative technology, combining AI-enabled mobile application along with wearables devices built on the nRF52 Bluetooth chipset, which is used by the world’s leading wearable manufacturers. Facedrive Health developed industry-specific TraceSCAN wearable technology to slow the spread of COVID-19 at the workplace through wristbands, wearable tags worn around the neck or pods that can be kept in the pocket.

Share this:

No action / reaction from the unions?  Not so long ago there would have been protests re how the company could trace workers as to their locations etc.   

On 10/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, Kip Powick said:

I had a 4 then a 6 and last Christmas my daughter gave me an iPhone 11.

Lots of "doo-dads" and functions  on it I do not use but what really impresses me is the battery life.

There was a time in my life when I just had to have the latest Blackberry and I blew through five Blackberries in about three years, before that I had to have the smallest phone until I ended up with a Nokia about the size of a hotel bar of soap  but now I just don't really care anymore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

That is not a flip phone, just a 2005 Nokia "flat key-scroll phone"

This is a "flip-Phone"

ScreenShot001.jpg.1facba6724b5f8ee52096d755459704e.jpg

Yes, well, if you look carefully, you’ll notice TWO photos. In the second photo the phone is “flipped” over. It can’t do many other tricks, and even flipping usually requires assistance; however, if you leave it on vibrate long enough, it can flip over on its way off the counter. This usually leads to the put-the-phone-back-together game, which is one of the only games available on this fine unit. Of course, there is the snake game which comes in handy while waiting in line for mediocre food & drink at Tim Horton’s or when you’re just bored of the bland scenery while driving along the 401. And while it is in pristine condition, don’t get any ideas about it being able to jump through fiery hoops, and it certainly doesn’t come with six-way power mud flaps. Those were only available on a later very rare collector’s edition that commands a far greater premium than does this exceptionally stylish and well priced model. That said, this one does have built-in butt-dialling resistance and is relatively cry-proof if immersed in H2O. At present, it is guaranteed to be COVID-free, with the exception that it can be used to spell COVID with a minimum of 13 keystrokes, assuming you make no errors and you’re happy with lowercase letters. PLUS, it doesn’t have one of those pesky, moderately breakable, and very expensive to replace hinge thingies. All in all, a bargain at twice the price. Free “flip” included with cash purchase.

• Haha 3

Media advisory - Air Canada to Present Third Quarter 2020 Results Français

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Air Canada 

Oct 13, 2020, 08:00 ET

MONTREAL, Oct. 13, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Calin Rovinescu, Air Canada President and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Rousseau, Deputy Chief Executive Office and Chief Financial Officer, and Lucie Guillemette, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, will hold a conference call for analysts on Monday November 9, 2020 to present the third quarter results and be available for analysts' questions. Following the analysts' questions, Mr. Rousseau and Pierre Houle, Managing Director and Treasurer, will be available to answer questions from term loan B lenders and holders of Air Canada bonds.

Media and the public may access this call on a listen only basis. Details are as follows:

Date:                            

Monday, November 9, 2020

Time:                            

08:30 a.m. ET

By telephone:             

1-800-806-5484 toll free or 416-340-2217 for the Toronto area, Passcode 9933124#.  Please allow 10 minutes to be connected to the conference call.

Webcast:                     

https://bell.media-server.com/mmc/p/j6iivqtc

Note: This is a listen-in audio webcast. Media Player or Real Player is required to listen to the broadcast; download well in advance of call.

Replay:                        

Instant replay will be available beginning approximately one hour after the call. Dial 905-694-9451 or 1-800-408-3053 toll free and enter the passcode:  8421626#

Third quarter 2020 results will be released prior to the conference call on Monday, November 9, 2020.

SOURCE Air Canada

rt.gif?NewsItemId=C2234&Transmission_Id=

For further information: Contacts: media@aircanada.ca ; Internet: aircanada.com

Related Links

www.aircanada.com