Westjets Christmas Miracle.

SkyBlazer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!! WestJet continues to amaze me!

Y'know, years ago when I drove taxi, I used to think offering free rides to random customers -and advertising that- might be a decent promotional gimmick.... then, years later I often thought the airline (whichever) could get some huge points by doing something similar - maybe a draw on each flight to see which of the passengers (guests) would win their trip for free....

Then WestJet comes along..... Damn I wish I'd worked for them all this time! What a great company!

I bet the guy who asked for socks and underwear was kicking himself when he saw that big screen tv! ;)

So I take it a red santa suit wouldn't have been "on brand"?

I had the same question....Pretty near everybody in the world knows Santa has a red suit, obviously if he had been put in WJ teal/green it would look like he worked for WJ so WJ went blue.....but why?

Secondly, cause I couldn't really see it in the video or the other video about how the "Miracle of Christmas" was done..... the gifts that were given to the guests.........who actually paid for them? ......Did the parents toss in the funds for the kids?......................... Did WJ buy that guest a 'big-screen' TV??............. Did WJ buy all the gifts for the kids??

I had the same question....Pretty near everybody in the world knows Santa has a red suit, obviously if he had been put in WJ teal/green it would look like he worked for WJ so WJ went blue.....but why?

Secondly, cause I couldn't really see it in the video or the other video about how the "Miracle of Christmas" was done..... the gifts that were given to the guests.........who actually paid for them? ......Did the parents toss in the funds for the kids?......................... Did WJ buy that guest a 'big-screen' TV??............. Did WJ buy all the gifts for the kids??

I'm guessing that a blue anti-Santa suit and blue anti-Christmas toques are available off the shelf. I had the same thought last year - that a teal Santa and teal toques would have been better from a marketing angle.

Based on the reactions of everyone involved I think Westjet paid for everything and it was all a big surprise.

For years now, WestJet has basically eliminated teal as much as possible from it's branding and focused on blue, which is the other (and less 1990's time stamped) component of the logo and colour scheme.

Teal remains for logo and small subtle highlights as well as orange which has also been used since around 2005 or so for small contrasting things such as buttons on the web site, etc...

For all intents and purposes, WestJet is a blue company.

Just my opinion.....based on the video I watched.........................

I really don’t have a problem with WJ producing a Christmas/Santa type video but I do have a problem with theme of the video. Yes, it is in the spirit of Christmas to have kids talk to Santa, as did many parents, and advise the jolly old man what they want for Christmas. A novel way to interact with a blue Santa.

I have three granddaughters and they have done the “visit” to Santa as well. In addition I think most folks know that WJ is doing, and has done, many things for the less fortunate in their community.

Where, in my opinion the video theme goes wrong is having WJ ‘give” their guests what they requested while talking to “Santa”. Personally I feel that if those guests could afford the airfare and associated taxes as well as other travelling expenses to fly to their destination, then buying those guests gifts was not required.

I would have been much happier seeing Santa talking to guests, getting their requests and perhaps stating that Santa and WJ would donate a gift to the less fortunate, in the name of the guest that he was talking to. It would follow that the gifts would come down the baggage belt with the guest name on it, in one format or another, and the guest, adult and/or child would then place their “free” gift in a container and those gifts would be going to kids/adults that are less fortunate. (Naturally the guest name would be removed later)

Been there-done that…………and unless you have been there and ‘done that’ you have no idea of the warm feeling you get when you take a Christmas hamper with food and kids gifts to a family that has had a run of bad luck.

I see no need to patronize customers by running around and buying gifts for those that have the means to fly around the country….no matter what the season.

Flame away......................

Hey Kip.

Actually, giving without the need to be acknowledged or seen doing so is the most sincere act of generosity.

Kudos to WJ for their innovative promotion. But that is what it was - an advertisement intended to draw attention to the brand. Just like the Disney paint job.

Kip (scrooge)

If you read the press release for every so many thousand hits on the video on YouTube the airline is donating tickets and flights to those who do need them.

Also take a moment to look at our Community Investment program it can be found on the company website website.

Think what you want - but if you look at the faces of those people / the tears the surprise / then maybe just maybe it will remind you of the true unexpected act of giving.

Perhaps you just woke up in the wrong side of the bed this am.

I would bet that this single "stunt" cost the airline less that one percent of its advertising budget for the year. The effect of the gifts and the subsequent video "free" advertising is priceless.

Face it that this is nothing more that advertising and very good advertising at that.

Kudos to WestJet for thinking outside the box.

I'm with Kip and Rudder. It's a stunt. And a "hey look at me stunt." Will the PR work, of course, just look at all the "very cool" comments.

I've got lots of time for taking kids to Disneyland, not so much for handing out free crap to the guy flying in plus seats.

Stand back and really look at what they did folks.

Personally I feel that if those guests could afford the airfare and associated taxes as well as other travelling expenses to fly to their destination, then buying those guests gifts was not required.

Certainly it was not required. ....Surely you've given gifts to people who would have done just fine without the gift? Just because a person isn't in the poorhouse doesn't mean they're in any way undeserving, does it? ....and the bit with telling "Santa" what they wanted was just perfect for making sure they didn't end up giving something unwanted.

Call it a random act of kindness? Whatever you call it, I tip my hat to them, again. :tu:

Kip (scrooge)

If you read the press release for every so many thousand hits on the video on YouTube the airline is donating tickets and flights to those who do need them.

Also take a moment to look at our Community Investment program it can be found on the company website website.

Think what you want - but if you look at the faces of those people / the tears the surprise / then maybe just maybe it will remind you of the true unexpected act of giving.

Perhaps you just woke up in the wrong side of the bed this am.

"Scrooge"? I will put my track record for helping the less fortunate against anyone here and that is not to say that on an individual basis I am better than anyone else, but I do feel I certainly do my share.

I read the Press Release..I watched the "how it was done" video and I know that WJ does good things...I acknowledged that in my post

If you really read my post you would see that I am well aware of the effect on an individual when one 'gives'.(been there, done that).

My point is that it could have been done in such a manner that the 'freebies' went to those that 'have not'.

A PR stunt?? OK I will accept that, but at this time of the year it could have been done in a different manner with better results for 'others'.

Who determines who is a "have not" Some of these people could have been saving all they could to make this trip as the one trip they would make this decade. Who knows? you cannot judge the book by its cover.

What they did here was surprise a plane load of people who did not expect anything. the put smiles on the faces of many families. Mission accomplished. Who are we to judge who "needs" what. I know some people that seem to have alot but really don't.

As someone commented above The guy that wanted socks and underwear. perhaps he asked for what he NEEDED. The guy with the big TV asked for what he wanted never thinking he would actually get it. (I do this every year and haven't got one yet).

The point is that they made PEOPLE happy with an UNEXPECTED gesture. That is the spirit of the season.

I am all for giving to Charity and to those who need it but I do that all year around not just a Christmas.

The thing I'm missing Kip, is understanding why you seem to be suggesting folks with means aren't deserving of a nice gift? Obviously we all know there are zillions of more needy folks, but WestJet is an airline... what on earth could be wrong with surprising a few of their guests with a gift? How can you see anything negative in that?

Heck, if I had billions, one of the first things I'd like to do is buy everyone who works for Microsoft a Mac. Including Bill Gates. --- I know, I know... that's different. B)

The thing I'm missing Kip, is understanding why you seem to be suggesting folks with means aren't deserving of a nice gift? Obviously we all know there are zillions of more needy folks, but WestJet is an airline... what on earth could be wrong with surprising a few of their guests with a gift? How can you see anything negative in that?

Heck, if I had billions, one of the first things I'd like to do is buy everyone who works for Microsoft a Mac. Including Bill Gates. --- I know, I know... that's different. B)

Mitch.......I understand..it was a PR stunt. I really thought, at this time of the year, the intent was to give gifts to the needy and in particular, kids. As far as a PR stunt goes I just feel that they could have got more mileage and goodwill during this 'stunt' by having people realize how good it feels to "give" rather than receive.

Yes, I would feel very happy getting a Big Screen TV if I just asked for it when I got on an airplane.....but to be honest with you...I would have returned it and asked that the funds be used for more kids stuff......just my crooked way of thinking at this time of the year.

Kip

When your family gives you a gift that they have really worked hard on perhaps saved, planned organized.... did you turn to them and say "you should have given this to the less fortunate" and acted obtuse about it or did you just say thank you and see the good in it.

Some people will always see flies in the soup.

SB

Kip

When your family gives you a gift that they have really worked hard on perhaps saved, planned organized.... did you turn to them and say "you should have given this to the less fortunate" and acted obtuse about it or did you just say thank you and see the good in it.

Some people will always see flies in the soup.

SB

Apples and Oranges..

Not getting into a urinating contest with you. I have posted my comments, you know how I feel...I did not ask you to agree...................end of discussion.

Guest rozar s'macco

Normally I skip the WJ YouTube videos because I can't help but picture the meetings leading up to it where somebody is presenting, without irony, a pitch to leverage their social media brand and interact with blah blah....yuck.

Decided to click this one anyway. Suspended my distaste for this stuff. Liked it. Good job.

Kip, why can't you appreciate things that may make people smile. Do you think everyone on that plane could afford to get on that plane? Why use your time criticizing good deeds that people do. As well KIP, tomorrow my wife and I are going to drop off a $700 christmas hamper to a needy family here in Calgary, while at the same time, enjoying WestJet's Christmas Miracle video.

Looking forward to your 8705th post

Archived