Westjets Christmas Miracle.

SkyBlazer

I think your have to agree that WJ took the basic concept to an entirely different level

That's what seems to resonate with the 19 million plus persons who have viewed the page thus far.

:wink_smile:

I think I can agree WS took someone else's idea. I will give you that. Also, how do you know what if anything is resonating from this PR stunt? Has it brought in19 million new customers or just curious window shoppers with internet access? I think we've just witnessed WS's fifteen minutes of fame. Not a whole lot more than that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I can agree WS took someone else's idea. I will give you that. Also, how do you know what if anything is resonating from this PR stunt? Has it brought in19 million new customers or just curious window shoppers with internet access? I think we've just witnessed WS's fifteen minutes of fame. Not a whole lot more than that.

In addition to the many smiles it has given people other than those like yourself.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=jYurUqXUCa6FyQGLloGACA#q=quantifying+brand+awareness&undefined=undefined

I'm not surprised that there are some in the airline business that just don't get how WS operates.

I've been involved in many different business initiatives with WS and there is a standard methodology to them that is pretty fail safe...

1. Is this good for our people

2. Is this good for our guests

3. Is this good for our shareholders

... In that order.

I know plenty of people involved in this project and I can guarantee that the first consideration for this project was: what is something really cool that we can do that our employees will love and get 100% behind. Much further down the list was how can this be leveraged to support the brand.

I can also guarantee that if this project was expected to draw no new business or any recognition, WS would have still done it. It's that simple. The fact that it's got 20 million+ views is nice, unexpected and completely secondary to the idea of doing something nice for people and having fun.

If it were a PR stunt first and foremost, employees wouldn't support it and it would never have the genuine qualities that it has. There have been other initiatives in the past that never saw the light of day, because they were PR driven. I'm guessing most here have never heard of WestJettiquette. It was axed at the last minute because it wasn't genuine.

The fact that some on an airline forum can't can't see why a company would do this for any other reason than PR is not surprising and fine. Back in 2003/04 when AC was firing, laying off, transferring employees all around the country as part of the bankruptcy plan, a bunch of those impacted came over to WS. 90% of them spent 3-4 months with WS completely shell shocked that WS had the people focused priorities that they have. Those people jumped back to AC the first chance they had.

Those who just can't understand an initiative like this - likely best you don't work at WS because it would drive you nuts. That's not meant to be insulting. It's just not for everyone.

Those who can understand an initiative like this - probably already work for WS or would have likely been a great fit for it.

...In my opinion, the only people who may have benefited from this PR stunt are [WestJet]...

I know plenty of people involved in this project and I can guarantee that the first consideration for this project was: what is something really cool that we can do that our employees will love and get 100% behind.

I can also guarantee that if this project was expected to draw no new business or any recognition, WS would have still done it. It's that simple. The fact that it's got 20 million+ views is nice, unexpected and completely secondary to the idea of doing something nice for people and having fun.

If it were a PR stunt first and foremost, employees wouldn't support it and it would never have the genuine qualities that it has.

Those who just can't understand an initiative like this - likely best you don't work at WS because it would drive you nuts. That's not meant to be insulting. It's just not for everyone.

Those who can understand an initiative like this - probably already work for WS or would have likely been a great fit for it.

Agreed. This was publicly released, but aimed inwardly. Morale takes a hit from time-to-time, and occasionally it gets built up again. Many WestJetters, perhaps most, feel proud about this--and that translates to pride in the company. That in itself is worth more than any external gains that can be leveraged from this. The many external mentions just perk everyone up that much more.

I'm betting the people that executed this experience felt pretty damn good about it even had no cameras been involved, even if no one ever saw the video.

Another interesting comparison is the Copenhagen Airport video is pushing a whopping 12,746 views. Let's be honest if any carrier in Canada had came up with this idea and got the exposure the WS video had received they would be giving themselves a pat on the back this weekend. I think it would be tough challenge for many posters on this forum to see past the tail colour and give credit where credit is due The would go for the diehard supports of all the airlines that are mentioned here frequently.

I'm not surprised that there are some in the airline business that just don't get how WS operates.

I've been involved in many different business initiatives with WS and there is a standard methodology to them that is pretty fail safe...

1. Is this good for our people

2. Is this good for our guests

3. Is this good for our shareholders

... In that order.

I know plenty of people involved in this project and I can guarantee that the first consideration for this project was: what is something really cool that we can do that our employees will love and get 100% behind. Much further down the list was how can this be leveraged to support the brand.

If it were a PR stunt first and foremost, employees wouldn't support it and it would never have the genuine qualities that it has. There have been other initiatives in the past that never saw the light of day, because they were PR driven. I'm guessing most here have never heard of WestJettiquette. It was axed at the last minute because it wasn't genuine.

The fact that some on an airline forum can't can't see why a company would do this for any other reason than PR is not surprising and fine. Back in 2003/04 when AC was firing, laying off, transferring employees all around the country as part of the bankruptcy plan, a bunch of those impacted came over to WS. 90% of them spent 3-4 months with WS completely shell shocked that WS had the people focused priorities that they have. Those people jumped back to AC the first chance they had.

I couldn't have explained this any better.

The standard methodology for making decisions noted above is straight from the original WestJet business plan. Corner any of the founding four and they'll explain it to you. To my knowledge, it has never fundamentally changed over the years.

There are clearly a lot of people teal with envy over this viral home run, currently with 23 million plus views. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the general reason why this is so.

This project is one of countless videos done over the years primarily for internal purposes. The message, which has been consistently reinforced since 1996, is loud and clear at 4:43 of the video.

The fact that the clip obviously resonates so strongly to an external audience is a nice bonus.

Do all visitors watch the entire 5+ minute clip? Who knows? It's not easy to coerce 23 million Youtube viewers + the countless others who have seen it on broadcast news to watch what some might consider to be a 5 minute advertisement for WestJet.

However, the emotional payoff, which is the reason why the video went viral in the first place, occurs 3 minutes in. By that point, it is unlikely most viewers would stop there. Indeed, I suspect a very high proportion of viewers watched the entire clip. Youtube probably have the ability to measure that and if so, the info will be available to those who want it.

I'd bet lunch the naysayers and poo poo'ers probably watched it start to finish too.

Will it sell one more ticket? Who knows?

It's not , nor was it ever the point of the exercise in the first place.

This sums it up nicely - From Social Media Today.

While WestJet’s viral video certainly got them a lot of exposure, and potentially top-of-mind awareness as travellers plan their Christmas (or post-Christmas) vacations, it also has a much broader impact. For years now, WestJet has been known to be a company run by real people who are involved in the business as shareholders, and have fun, even though they’re in such a ‘serious business’. When people think of WestJet, they think of honest, fun-loving people who care. This video just sends that message a little further home.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2013/12/12/the-real-christmas-miracle-of-westjets-viral-video-millions-in-free-advertising/

:cool:

This is kind of interesting. It'd make a good question on a marketing exam.

As of Saturday Dec 14th......

Google "Westjet" and scan the various links in the first page that pops up.

Now do the same with another popular airline and take a look at some of the stories that pop up.

Compare and contrast. Discuss branding implications.

:Clever:

Some have said that gifts are better to be given to the needy, which certainly has merit. At the same time, regardless of the appearance of wealth, we all love receiving gifts, especially when it is something we wanted (sometimes even needed!) and some thought was put into getting them possibly because we all know deep down that true wealth is in the quality of our relationships...give credit where it's due, this was a well-timed and well-thought-out gesture by WestJet and it seemed that it made both the givers and recipients of the gifts happy, so well-done! and may they sell more tickets too, why not!

Archived