Toronto Got A Little Wet

That's a little harsh, Mitch. For all it's faults, it's just a big town full of many folks who are just like us. They work hard to take care of their family and stay below the boss's radar.

That's a little harsh, Mitch. For all it's faults, it's just a big town full of many folks who are just like us. They work hard to take care of their family and stay below the boss's radar.

I know Jeff, you're right..... but somehow I've developed a big hate for the dump. Living just outside of the orange/brown haze for the last 33 years has allowed me to see it as it is... a huge collection of concrete, bullshit and crap. Sure, the vast majority of it's inhabitants are decent folk, and like I said, I don't want to see anyone hurt.... but if the city were to slowly wash into Lake Ontario, I'd be there setting off fireworks in celebration.

I know Jeff, you're right..... but somehow I've developed a big hate for the dump. Living just outside of the orange/brown haze for the last 33 years has allowed me to see it as it is... a huge collection of concrete, bullshit and crap. Sure, the vast majority of it's inhabitants are decent folk, and like I said, I don't want to see anyone hurt.... but if the city were to slowly wash into Lake Ontario, I'd be there setting off fireworks in celebration.

This is one of those times when, as my wife says, "It's time to stop talking".

Some people ARE hurt and thousands of people have hundreds of hours of work to get their lives and basements back together.

Kids were on trains with no air conditioning until 1am last night and many people will lose money because either their place of employment is not open today or they can't get to work because of transit issues or because their car is destroyed. Even if insurance covers much of it, many will not be able to replace what they have with their insurance coverage.

As JO says, Toronto is just a bunch of people just like you or me. Often when you drive through the country, you see "Farmers feed Cities" signs. People in the city provide the administrative, manufacturing and financial infrastructure that allow farmers (and the rest of us) do their jobs. Like any large "organization", cities are complex and difficult to manage. (It doesn't help that they elect idiot mayors, though).

Everybody has their favourite place to live (and others have little choice) and just because you (nor I) would prefer not to live in the city, it doesn't make it a bad place nor do people who live there deserve to have their homes washed away, let alone have someone celebrate it.

Stop talking? Just when it's been made clear to me my words were taken the wrong way? Hmmm? I guess I could do that....

Can I just add - for the record - my daughter was one of those trapped on a train for a while.... and now she's having to deal with the flooding at our nephew's house where she's house-sitting - with no power.... (she called a while ago (unable to get to work herself) to tell us her laptop AND i-phone aren't working due to getting wet - so it's likely to be costing me some money too) ...as well as 3 sisters-in-law and a niece, each with problems of their own.

I do not, and would not, wish these sorts of hardships on anyone. I'm not a heartless beast. ...Is it so hard to understand that, while I love people, I hate cities?

I guess I'd be in real trouble if I told you that, while I love airplanes, I hate airlines.

I feel sorry for your family's troubles, Mitch. But that's not how either of your first two posts came across.

Basically, they came through to me as "Good. Toronto deserves what it got, and I'd have been even happier if it had wiped the city off the map (as long as nobody gets hurt)".

We often forget that cities (and airlines) are just made up of (and run by) the people that populate them.

Often we complain about something that "the airline" or "the city" did to us. Often that's a clerical level person who made a decision to do (or not to do) something all by themselves who, when they're not screwing up your life, they are complaining about "the airline" and how it's screwing up their life (but it's someone just like them doing it to them, too).

You drive through the faceless corridor of the 401 or 407 on your way to and from work and come to hate what you see as the concrete jungle. But behind those concrete monoliths are streets lined with trees and houses with front porches and kids playing road hockey. "The city" didn't approve that concrete jungle you drive through... it was a person probably not much different than you or me. But they might also be the person who prevents a neighbourhood from being knocked down to make way for a shopping mall. And if they didn't let people live vertically, there wouldn't be any farmland.

If you visit cities around the world, you would see that Toronto has less concrete, crap and bullshit than most of them, certainly not much more.

Finally, if you break Toronto down to neighbourhoods, you would probably see that each of them isn't much different than the place you live.

Funny, no one just outside Calgary had anything bad to say about that city after the flood, and I know a couple who have harsh views about how it has spread and turned into an increasingly impersonal place, by their historical recollection. But they, and many others, resisted the temptation to lace on the work boots and stomp on that city's plight.

A mistake I often make is an assumption that the reader knows me well enough to understand my meaning, so I omit some explanations that might clarify...

Neither a city, nor an airline has ever done anything to me. I don't generally complain about either. Cities are ugly, chaotic, noisy, smelly and often overcrowded with people and vehicles. I hate 'em. Airlines fly too many airplanes to too many places burning too much fuel and pouring too many pollutants into our atmosphere. Flying everyone everywhere is wasteful, destructive opulence, that I don't think we can afford, as stewards of the planet.

My opening comment was an expression of my distaste for all gross interruptions of nature. Toronto in particular has always been the most obvious example of that to me.

Please imagine what I meant is that I'd like to see all of it's residents move to places they liked better, and then the city can fall into the lake. I certainly would never wish any harm to anyone.

Maybe Blues was right? :)

In any case, if anyone has been offended by my remarks, I'm sorry for that. I honestly meant no offence. ...But I won't apologize for hating Toronto. To me, it's a horrible place.

Right on Dagger. How did you fare? So far here in YYC we have avoided the normal hailstorms (at least in our end of the city) I credit that to my putting a tarp over the garden and thus forcing the thunderstorms to skirt our neighbourhood :Grin-Nod:(I bet without the tarp, the storm would have zeroed in on my garden) and the garden is almost ready to provide us with some lettuce and small tomatoes. Our state of emergency is officially over but the Town of High River is still a disaster scene, as are some heavily flooded areas of Calgary

Cheers Malcolm

No power for nine hours, but otherwise dry. We've had a great deal of rain in the past few weeks with more coming today and tomorrow, so needless to say a lot of people would love to see a few nice sunny days in a row. On the other hand, I have some cucumber plants that are growing at about two feet a week. The seed package said yellow beans so this is totally unexpected. I think the seed people just put different things in every package for sh... and giggles.

Mitch,

my daughter made a facebook comment during the Vancouver hockey riot about letting the city burn.

I called her ASAP and told her to delete the post. You never know who reads what you put on the internet.

"What if one of her friends had a parent who's store was looted?"

I was mad and deleted her from my facebook. She is still off my facebook, probably for the better anyway.

I understood your post, as i am here a lot, but there will be many that do not understand.

I'd just love to see this city under water! (providing nobody gets hurt)

Truly idiotic comments!

Like any place, you have to go and check it out for yourself. Concrete jungle? Sure, it's Canada's largest city. But it has lots to offer depending on your interests. Music, food, entertainment, scenic parks, etc, etc. He list goes on and on. I suggest that Mitch head down to the CNE grounds this weekend and watch Sunday's Izod indy race for starters. He will have a blast. And Mitch, remember to bring a set of ear plugs. It's loud and its awesome. ( Oh.....and my kid used to beat James Hinchcliffe in karting. I still have the score sheets.)

One of my best recent memories of spending a evening in this city was a few years ago when Genesis played the first concert held at BMO field, where the old CNE stadium used to be. A beautiful night, great music and the toronto city skyline as a background. I recall sitting back for a moment and thinking how lucky I was to be there, enjoying the whole event, living in safe city, a beautiful country, as a free person, able to do the things I enjoy doing with the people I love.

I think we can turn Mitch around.

BD. I saw Genesis at the old Grandstand at the CNE. Unfortunately "Saw" might be a bit off. The fog rolled in and all we saw were flashing lights. the music was great though.

I avoid the city at all costs. I only go downtown if I MUST. I hate the traffic, the noise and the general "I'm in a hurry" attitude of the average City dweller. I much prefer living in the stix where the air is clean and no brown film hanging over my town.

BD. I saw Genesis at the old Grandstand at the CNE. Unfortunately "Saw" might be a bit off. The fog rolled in and all we saw were flashing lights. the music was great though.

I avoid the city at all costs. I only go downtown if I MUST. I hate the traffic, the noise and the general "I'm in a hurry" attitude of the average City dweller. I much prefer living in the stix where the air is clean and no brown film hanging over my town.

Too bad about the fog. I remember an Argos game that almost went the same way.

Clean fresh air is a definite plus but having some of the best medical facilities such as Sick Kids, St. Mikes, Toronto Western, Sunnybrook, etc (and my extended family has had to use them all over the last 30 years) just a short drive away is something you don't have out in the country. Good rural doctors are hard to find and some people can't even get on their patient lists. We recently had to literally beg a doctor in Trenton to take on my father as a patient. She finally agreed (the nursing staff couldn't believe it) and now he is getting some excellent care from her office.

I was in Toronto twice this week so far. Blues deluxe had a Dr's appointment (Bay/Bloor area) and while she did that I bolted down to Steve's Music on Queen St. and got my daughter a new Martin. The second trip wasn't as much fun as my inlaw's "Beaches" home had some water damage from the Monday rain storm so off we went. Four hours of tree branch removal and eavestrough repair and we were back in 905 land for dinner and movie.

I enjoy living where we do too but having access to a great city like Toronto is priceless.

Don't get me wrong. Sick Kids saved my daughters life. As I said I travel there when I have to but I would never choose to live in ANY city. I prefer a small town. I am close enough to commute and far enough away to be happy.

Don't get me wrong. Sick Kids saved my daughters life. As I said I travel there when I have to but I would never choose to live in ANY city. I prefer a small town. I am close enough to commute and far enough away to be happy.

Sounds like a perfect balance.

The cost to clean up the mess in TO will probably be at least $1B.

All you TO bashers need to give your head a shake..........it is going to affect all Canadians to some degree just as the mess and cleanup in YYC will too.......

My condo garage flooded writing off my 8 month new vehicle. Electrical room flooded and I may not have power until the middle of next week. It amazing how one copes as long as you can handle a cold shower and the toilets still flush.

Archived