Election prediction

Mitch Cronin

Guest rattler

It will be a minority but hopefully one that has enough seats that it would take the combined votes of all those in opposition to defeat the government. That would cut down some of the crap we saw over the last two years and would also guarantee that any measure that really "sucks" could be defeated and perhaps others like Senate reform, crime reform be passed.

Majority for Harper!

Due to YYZ Lib's sucking it up, holding their nose and voting for MP's that will sit in POWER - thats where its at!

We want CABINET Ministers in the Big Smoke!

After one term they can re-evaluate their Liberal support. You know when Dion is given the punt.

Chico

Well it looks like the U.K. will be Conservative soon and France just went Conservative. The U.S. looks like it will stay somewhat on the Conservative side if McCain can be called a Conservative. ...So .. with the civilized world giving up on out dated Liberal views once again, I will call a slim Harper majority....Seats 148-152.

Ralph Goodale was out knocking on doors on Sunday here in Regina. I know that as a fact as he knocked on my Mom's door. Some Liberals may not have been prepared but Ralph was!

Dion is not the man to lead the Liberals. Anybody have a better alternative?

I too believe that Harper will win again.

Well it looks like the U.K. will be Conservative soon and France just went Conservative. The U.S. looks like it will stay somewhat on the Conservative side if McCain can be called a Conservative. ...So .. with the civilized world giving up on out dated Liberal views once again, I will call a slim Harper majority....Seats 148-152.

In terms of the political view spectrum the following is true:

Cdn Conservatives = US Democrats

Cdn Liberals = Ralph Naders and the extreme Democratic left wing (the ones the republicans talk about left wing nuts).

NDP = USA Communist party.

There is no Canadian or first world equivalent to the USA Republican party.

From a European perspective, the French Conservatives are about on par with the Cdn Liberals and they are equalled by the UK Labour party.

The problem with left wing vs right wing call signs is that its predicated on where the countries center is located. Each country has a different center point. Kind of like each different airplane type has a different C of G.

In terms of the political view spectrum the following is true:

Cdn Conservatives = US Democrats

Cdn Liberals = Ralph Naders and the extreme Democratic left wing (the ones the republicans talk about left wing nuts).

NDP = USA Communist party.

There is no Canadian or first world equivalent to the USA Republican party.

From a European perspective, the French Conservatives are about on par with the Cdn Liberals and they are equalled by the UK Labour party.

The problem with left wing vs right wing call signs is that its predicated on where the countries center is located. Each country has a different center point. Kind of like each different airplane type has a different C of G.

That's flat out ridiculous. It would take a right-wing wingnut to come to that conclusion.

The Democrats favor real meaningful action on global warming. They are not advocates of smaller government. They have more liberal socio-cultural views than the Conservative base. They believe in supporting cities and mass transit, whereas the Conservatives are following a conscious policy of catering to smaller centres and rural communities. The diesel fuel tax cut is aimed squarely at farmers, truckers and fishers.

The Conservatives are equivalent to the fiscally conservative Republications - only both have proven to be much bigger spenders than they bill themselves.

Your other characterizations are equally bogus. You have no idea what the US communist party advocates, but if it hasn't changed its policies from what I read in the past, all but a handful of NDP supporters would find that way too extreme.

"The diesel fuel tax cut is aimed squarely at farmers, truckers and fishers."

I'm not a Farmer, Fisher or Trucker, although I have a deep and abiding respect for each and every one of them, and I welcome the diesel fuel tax reduction.

But then, I'm a White, English Speaking, Western Canadian Male with an above average income... I don't count... I just pay the bills...

My prediction is that it will be a close minority government, won by the conservatives. The thing that's going to spoil the party is the Green Party is going to win some seats this time and I would bet that they will join with the liberals and either take over, or make governing even more difficult than it was before.

My prediction is that it will be a close minority government, won by the conservatives. The thing that's going to spoil the party is the Green Party is going to win some seats this time and I would bet that they will join with the liberals and either take over, or make governing even more difficult than it was before.

No your wrong there...the Greens will steal votes from both the NDP and Liberals. Both will just help the conservatives giving them a greater margin of victory. wink.gif

• 1 month later...

"Voter turnout was just 59 per cent, the lowest in federal election history."

Shameful. To any and all of you who did not vote. 4 out of 10 of us did not vote. 40% of what is posted here as criticism in the future months is totally invalid. When asked "Well, did you vote?", there's a 4 in 10 chance the poster is lying if they say "Yes"

There is much to be shameful about this debacle. Harper's intransigence to Newfoundland (notwithstanding Danny W is a bit of a wingnut); Harper's idiot interference in the Quebec civil law system; Harper's stupid promise to withhold funding for the arts in one of Canada's most prolific province for creation of the arts. (Like it or not. It's politics). Harper's western vanity that led him to call the election in the first place in violation of his dogma to never call an election for partisan reasons; Harper's waste of nearly half a BILLION dollars which was the price of this fiasco.

And Harper is not alone. Dion's lack of vision which blinded him to the stupid campaign centred on the carbon tax ESPECIALLY in light of the failure of the program in BC.

To save the Liberal party the expense of a leadership review in May, Dion should just resign and change the leadership review to a leadership convention. If the Liberals then want to assure Harper of a majority in the next election, they'll elect Bob Rae as the new leader.

Shameful. To any and all of you who did not vote. 4 out of 10 of us did not vote. 40% of what is posted here as criticism in the future months is totally invalid. When asked "Well, did you vote?", there's a 4 in 10 chance the poster is lying if they say "Yes"

Who are you or anyone else to criticize people for not voting? It's a choice and a choice many chose to make.

Archived