Green in Canada.....nah..let's not

Kip Powick

This car made the news tonight...built in Canada, the ZEN car is smaller than the Min Cooper but bigger than the Smart Car. Goes max of 41km/hr. Can go 60km on a 4 hour , ordinary plug in...BUT..

....not allowed to be sold in Canada...the cars are made in Canada, all are being sent to the US and all are rapidly snapped up...a great little urban car but TC says "no" .......goes too slow for us Canadians and our roads.

This is an old link but shows the car..

Zen Car

Be neat to have in "Dotland" so the Admiral can shopping in "Smallville"!

So why can't they just build it so it will go faster?

I love to drive my Hybrid around on electric only but I can't do it without having the guy behind me getting upset that I'm doing the speed limit. I would say 60kph would be a good maximum for most city driving.

If you are interested in electric cars I would recommend this movie:

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

I don't think pure electrics will ever be practical in Canada for winter driving. We will always need the heat that the internal combustion engine puts out. I really like the Volvo C30 plug-in hybrid concept. I'm sure they will heat the cabin with the spare heat the diesel "APU" puts out.

So why can't they just build it so it will go faster?

I love to drive my Hybrid around on electric only but I can't do it without having the guy behind me getting upset that I'm doing the speed limit. I would say 60kph would be a good maximum for most city driving.

If you are interested in electric cars I would recommend this movie:

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

I don't think pure electrics will ever be practical in Canada for winter driving. We will always need the heat that the internal combustion engine puts out. I really like the Volvo C30 plug-in hybrid concept. I'm sure they will heat the cabin with the spare heat the diesel "APU" puts out.

A light bulb gives off heat. My television set gives off heat. You don't think there would be some recoverable heat from an electric motor? Not much of a passenger cabin to have to heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Now coming to a car dealer near you. (At least in the same country.)

Transport Canada approves 100% electric car

Last Updated: Friday, November 2, 2007 | 10:29 PM ET

CBC News

Transport Canada confirmed Friday it has authorized a Toronto-based electric carmaker to produce a vehicle for the Canadian market.

The ZENN (zero emissions, no noise) electric car has received the National Safety Mark, a legal label that indicates the vehicle meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

The ZENN electric car seats two people and is roughly the size of a Mini-Cooper.

(Courtesy ZENN Motor Company) Toronto-based ZENN Motor Company makes the 100 per cent electric car, which is built in St. Jerome, Que. Roughly the same size as the Mini-Cooper, it would sell for approximately $14,000.

It's sold in most American states, Mexico and Europe.

Company founder Ian Clifford had accused the federal government of blocking him from selling the cars in Canada, saying officials from Transport Canada gave him different responses every time he approached them.

The car is considered a low-speed urban vehicle with a regulated maximum speed of 40 km/h. It's designed for areas where speed limits are 50 km/h or less, such as city core or neighbourhood-type driving, said Clifford.

Transport Canada says it will be up to the individual provinces and territories to legislate where the vehicle can be driven.

Currently, British Columbia is the only Canadian province to legislate this type of vehicle.

Guest rattler

Car will be of little use in most large cities except to piss of others in traffic (If operated in zones where the speed limit is 50km (traffic flow quite often at more than that).

Great for retirement areas and small towns though. I wonder how it handles -30 and snow?

The car is considered a low-speed urban vehicle with a regulated maximum speed of 40 km/h. It's designed for areas where speed limits are 50 km/h or less, such as city core or neighbourhood-type driving, said Clifford.

Guest rattler

From the article:

EV's don't release emissions, but some critics argue the pollution is merely shifted to burning coal and other fossil fuels that generate electricity for charging its batteries.

A recent study out of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, however, concluded that charging a hybrid-electric (or electric) vehicle with coal power releases fewer greenhouse gas emissions than a vehicle running on gasoline.

Here is the goto to an look into Battery operated vehicles. Pros & Cons.

http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/...ric.cfm?attr=16

Archived