WestJet Hit by Bird enroute to YYJ

Bird leaves massive dent in WestJet plane bound for Victoria

BY HANA MAE NASSAR, PETER WAGNER

Posted Jan 14, 2020 9:41 am MST

Last Updated Jan 14, 2020 at 10:42 am MST

WestJet-airplane-bird-strike-damage.jpg
A WestJet flight from Calgary to Victoria took a hit from a bird on Tuesday, forcing it to land in Vancouver. No one was hurt but the aircraft has been taken out of service to be inspected. (Submitted)

SUMMARY
share.png

A WestJet plane was taken out of service after it was obviously hit by a bird while on route from Calgary to Victoria

share.png

The bird strike left a big dent in the nose of the plane, which was diverted to Vancouver

share.png

The plane, carrying 31 passengers, landed 'normally,' WestJet says

CALGARY (NEWS 1130) – A flight from Calgary bound for Victoria was forced to land in Vancouver on Tuesday after it obviously took a hit from a bird.

The damage to the front end of the WestJet plane was captured in an image and sent to NEWS 1130. It shows the nose of the plane with a big dent in it.

WestJet says the aircraft was diverted “due to the availability of maintenance resources,” and that it landed “normally.”

NEW: @WestJet flight f/ Calgary to Victoria diverted to Vancouver after reporting a bird strike inbound to YYJ.

The airline says the plane landed normally, and the plane has been removed from service for safety inspections. @NEWS1130

Here's a photo sent to us by a listener:

View image on Twitter

The aircraft has now been removed from service so it can be looked over.

There were 31 passengers on board at the time, and it doesn’t look like anyone was hurt.

“We sincerely apologize for the interruption to our guests travel plans and any inconvenience this may have caused,” WestJet says in an email to NEWS 1130. “All guests are being reaccommodated throughout the remainder of the day on the next available flights.”

6 direct hits by Geese.  A go around was initiated to avoid many more, as I’m told 2d hand.

I dare say with the winds, temperature and less rescuers in the vicinity, a successful ditching in the strait would have been more of a miracle than Sully’s event.

1 hour ago, thinair said:

Maybe they did the GA into the flock then....Lol

No details yet as to the distance from the rwy or altitude.

From my armchair I would continue to land if short final.

And keep the flaps down to the gate... just sayin'. But good job regardless in what was a pucker-factor situation. :tu:

19 hours ago, thinair said:

I dare say with the winds, temperature and less rescuers in the vicinity, a successful ditching in the strait would have been more of a miracle than Sully’s event.

And that was 11 years ago.

January 15, 2009

Archived