A Real Jerk

Kip Powick

franck_gervais.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbo

How sick is this guy..?? .impersonating a decorated member of the Forces !!!! FRANCK GERVAIS

Something that is not mentioned in the linked newspaper article is a fact about one medal this clown is wearing....The furthest medal to the left on his chest is the CD..(red/white stripes/gold medal). It is awarded after 12 years of good conduct in the Service. What many folks fail to see, even those with the medal, is that your rank and name are engraved around the edge of the medal...at the bottom. Many of my friends who were awarded the medal never knew this fact !!

I hope he gets a lengthy prison term...but of course he'll probably be treated for the "voices" he tells everyone he hears.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/13/remembrance_day_hoax_clues_that_franck_gervais_was_no_military_man.html

What are your thoughts on the GG wearing a uniform Kip?

Well he is the Commander In Chief in, and Over Canada so I don't have a problem with this elderly man wearing the uniform. :closedeyes:

If you read his resume, I would be surprised if he won't soon be granted a "Knighthood". :Grin-Nod:

While I flew in 412(T) Sqn I was the designated pilot for GG Roland Michener as well as GG Jules Leger, (1 year only), before I was transferred. Neither wore a uniform, (that I ever saw), but both were extraordinarily wonderful people to fly around.

Other photos of Gervais’s Facebook page, since taken down, show him in a dress uniform at what appears to be a wedding. He is shown wearing the insignia of the Regiment de Hull and a 34 Brigade arm flash, sergeant stripes and an NCO’s red sash but over the wrong shoulder. He also is wearing a gold braid called an aiguillette on his right chest, something only an officer is entitled to do.

It appears that this wasn't the first time this clown played dressup.

Had quite a discussion with colleagues today. This person has been charged with 4 offences under the Criminal Code. Undoubtedly he will be found guilty. The discussion was about the punishment he deserves. "Jail!" "Fines!" "JAIL!"

My feeling is the following: What he did was a travesty, an insult to our serving members, a grievous insult to our fallen members. But in the end, and in this instance, nobody was hurt. Nobody died.

As I recall, "justice" is a societal effort to protect society from a perpetrator, an attempt to rehabilitate a perpetrator and finally to punish the perp. All too often, and especially in the American system, most tend to jump to the final judgement ignoring any values of rehab thus.

Has not this family's punishment enough already by association with this fellow? With publication of his employer's name, assuming he will lose his job, and his family's source of income, why should people associated with him be punishment by his crime? Is that not what will happen with a sentence greater than a conditional discharge happen to "them" fair?

Given his 15 minutes of "fame" (in-fame: is that a word?), has he not been punished enough?

Just asking...

Guilty? Sure seems like it. Lengthy jail term? Doesn't seem like an appropriate punishment for what he did. If he had worn the uniform to attempt entry to some military facility for nefarious purpose I would agree but it seems like he was just seeking attention - wrong, of course, but the public embarrassment of being caught will probably be a strong deterrent. I would think a fine, criminal record and community service more fitting than jail time.

I am pretty sure the military guys here feel very strongly about this and it certainly is an insult to the hard work and risk that goes into wearing the uniform and quite inappropriate given the venue. If I had earned the right to have worn the uniform I would probably feel very strongly too.

My first thought, too, was to throw the book at him.

During the interview on CBC, he said that he was here to "remember what people had done for us in the past and in the future". Not talking about his fallen comrades or anything like that, at least.

Had he not been interviewed, he would have walked away and that would have been it. People would have felt good for thanking him for his service (although it would have been nice if someone who deserved it got the thanks). But that's as bad as it would have been. One simple question changed his life.

Ultimately, this guy is no different than a beggar lady who walks around the corner and gets into her BMW at the end of her shift outside the liquor store. Posing as something that she/he is not.

Deceiving us.

We hate being deceived. And this was one of the lowest forms.

There are a lot of people out walking around who, by their actions, destroyed young boys youth, stole money from hundreds of retirees, killed someone or made a rising basketball star a paraplegic because they drove drunk.

I think it needs to be put into perspective. As seeker and Moon and the title say, the guy's a jerk. Should his life be ruined by it? Should he be put into jail beside people who peddle drugs to our kids? or beat their wives?

Probably not.

One of the main things that our military fight for is a fair and just society. Let's not have our outrage further insult their efforts by handing this man an unfair punishment, unbefitting the impact of his crime on society. He may even have done us a favour by underlining for us how special the real uniform is.

"Wow"...all I can say is "Wow" and in my mind I see a few posters who have, obviously, never worn "the uniform" and are, again in my mind, could be examples of the many bleeding hearts that frequent our country, whose favourite expressions range from "excuse me, "oh, I'm sorry" ..."hey, it was just a skit", "no one hurt", "no cause to get upset"..."he was just having his idea of fun"

Would you be saying the same thing if it was a police officer or a Military cop who is authorized to carry a weapon ????

Ultimately, this guy is no different than a beggar lady who walks around the corner and gets into her BMW at the end of her shift outside the liquor store. Posing as something that she/he is not.

Really..?....no different than the actions of a beggar lady ..give your head a shake...there is one helluva difference...think about what you actually posted!!! Does this beggar lady represent our Military Forces, many who have laid down their lives for this country?

Should his life be ruined by it?

How the hell would his life be ruined by an appropriate jail sentence??? Nobody is asking for the death penalty !!!

I am at a loss for words...................spent 28 years in, was shot at once, (taking off in Africa), and you feel this jerk should be given a slap on the wrist for impersonating a DECORATED soldier and told not to do, it again ???

Whether you agree/disagree with me or not, don't expect any further comments from me...you would have to be blind to not know my feelings and probably the feelings of thousands of real combat veterans..

Rant over, G'nite.

I think his sentence should be a tour of boot camp for the entire duration. Let him experience what it actually takes to wear a uniform. I am pretty sure he would never be able to obtain the rank on his sleeve.

Impersonating is illegal. Strictly to the word, a few Halloweenies could go to jail.

I didn't expect you to be happy with my post, Kip, and I understand your position. I fully acknowledge and respect the sacrifices that our military personnel make every day. Every one of them joins knowing that they may be asked to lay down their life for Canada and the societal values it stands for, including bleeding heart judgements.

My analogy of the beggar lady was not to compare her to anyone from the military. It was to equate this jerk (the person) to a fake beggar lady and our horror at being deceived. My apologies if I didn't make my point clear, and I may still not have.

And if he, or anyone not authorized to carry a gun was carrying one, that's a completely different issue.

There was a case in Winnipeg 2 years ago where a guy was charged with wearing a military uniform. I don't recall even hearing about it. There wasn't cries for that guy's head. The judge determined that there was no sinister intent and no jail time was assigned. With that precedent, I can't see much different outcome here. That will, no doubt, cause another uproar.

There was a guy in Oshawa just last Monday charged with impersonating a police officer. It didn't make national news. One in Kitchener in August. One in Guelph in April last year... two years probation. Cops put their lives on the line every day, too.

One of the reasons why this one received such a high profile was because the news media was deceived, and they punish those that deceive them with fervour.

The involvement in recent years by our military in conflicts where their commitment has resulted in situations where many have given up their lives and quality of life, both physical and mental, has brought the public awareness of the sacrifices military people are willing to make to the fore. This event has spawned discussion about the importance and meaning of the uniform. Focusing more attention on this jerk will not further that.

I think his sentence should be a tour of boot camp for the entire duration. Let him experience what it actually takes to wear a uniform. I am pretty sure he would never be able to obtain the rank on his sleeve.

I like the idea of basic training......in Sibera. I'm sure someone can set up an exchange program.

“I didn't expect you to be happy with my post, Kip, and I understand your position. I fully acknowledge and respect the sacrifices that our military personnel make every day. Every one of them joins knowing that they may be asked to lay down their life for Canada and the societal values it stands for, including bleeding heart judgements”

(Some) People frequently claim to ‘understand’ a particular issue / subject when at best, they may only have a simple appreciation for the subject matter. Offensive positions flow when perspective is substantially flawed and in this case, had the writer actually ‘understood’ the sensitivity of the issue, he might have taken a more respectful tact?

While I do take a position somewhere alongside Kip, I can also appreciate Moon’s position. Perhaps I’m in error, but it sounds like Moon has worn the uniform and in my mind that entitles him to take a position, contrary to Kip’s as it may be, but one that’s based his actual ‘understanding’ of the violation nonetheless.

I just took a look at the Basic Training for the Forces. it seems they only do 13% physical training. Most is classroom instruction. Whatever happened to breaking they man down to build the team up? Kinder gentler forces I guess. It is 12 weeks now though.

Beyond the insulting nature of the ‘crime’, there’s the bigger matter of national security. People in uniform masquerading about and pretending to be something they’re not is very serious business in today’s world. Give the terrorist the impression our Country takes the slack view when it comes to disciplining the offenders and you can bet said terrorist will find a way to capitalize on our weakness.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but this prevailing sentiment isn't realistic. I joined when I was 17 and had absolutely no idea what was expected of me or what "societal values" were involved with my service. Given that the majority of recruits are teenagers, I suspect the same is true for for them as well. Indeed, one of the reasons teenagers are recruited is because they haven't the capacity (generally speaking) to comprehend the enormity of their commitment. They're immortal and eager to prove it. Of course, once you get shot at and/or lose the exuberance of youth, the true nature of your service becomes more apparent. Meanwhile, most recruits are just looking for an education and/or a job.

I suppose in many cases this is true. My father wanted to enlist in the RCAF during WWII when he was 17 as well but his mother wouldn't sign the papers to let him go before his 18th birthday. She already had two older boys fighting in Europe and wasn't letting another one leave the farm. My father (who was already in the local militia) just wanted to follow his brothers and do something exciting other than milking cows, picking strawberries, and mowing hay. When the war ended the intense technical training he received from the RCAF gave him a life long career.

My goodness, this fellow decided to dress in a manner that virtually ensured he was only a snap shot away from being caught up in his own web. Beard aside, he is posing as a Sgt, wearing a maroon beret (RCR hat badge), Medal of Bravery and a Pathfinder badge. I wonder if he even knew how small a club he joined! Pathfinder alone is small enough... everyone knows each other.

While I understand the sentiments expressed above, I take comfort in the fact that the military is now so well regarded in Canada that misguided individuals and attention addicts are tempted to cash in on the good will (and free drinks at the Legion).

I'm not personally aware of any previous convictions of this nature but no doubt the courts will decide on an appropriate punishment. However, if you qualify as an "attention addict", what could be a worse punishment than the public beating and humiliation he is absorbing now? I almost feel sorry for him... OK, only a little Kip.

Saw this on the Ottawa website comment page: "I think we all need to take a step back. Between my husband and I, we have 65 years of military service and often come across and speak with people wearing a uniform they picked up at the public army supply store, who are wearing the uniform out of respect for the military on Remembrance Day. I have always sensed their immense respect towards the uniform and to some, doing so may seem odd but we see nothing wrong with it. To be charged I think is a step in the wrong direction. You cannot go buy a police officer uniform at a public store but you can a military uniform. I certainly hope that the judge who oversees this mans case, will see the nonsense in the charge. However, if he were impersonating a military member for reasons other than paying his respects...that is a legitimate offence that requires addressing. As for the media, it is their responsibility to check their facts."

Maybe it is the sentiment I've tried to convey....

Maybe not...

According to the reporter who interviewed him, she asked him his name and rank prior to beginning and he gave her the false info at that point. I think the charges may come from him identifying himself as an ex-military officer, not necessarily from wearing the uniform.

Around the 50 second mark she speaks of this:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Ottawa/ID/2599390055/

According to the reporter who interviewed him, she asked him his name and rank prior to beginning and he gave her the false info at that point. I think the charges may come from him identifying himself as an ex-military officer, not necessarily from wearing the uniform.

Around the 50 second mark she speaks of this:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Ottawa/ID/2599390055/

its not the fact he WORE the uniform it is the fact he misrepresented himself as a member of the military. Wearing the uniform is not illegal but when you tell people you are something you are not then you cross a line.

It may have held more water if A) he knew how to dress and form a beret and B) picked a military regiment that is not such a small community.

"Wow"...all I can say is "Wow" and in my mind I see a few posters who have, obviously, never worn "the uniform"

and

How the hell would his life be ruined by an appropriate jail sentence??? Nobody is asking for the death penalty !!!

I have worn the uniform. Although it's was just time in the reserves and is not generally considered to be real time served by the Reg Force guys. I didn't see anyone posting that there should be no punishment or that the guy should get a pass on what he did. I replied because you started with the phrase that he deserved "lengthy jail time". I see now that you are saying "appropriate jail sentence" - if you had lead with that I would have nothing to say but to agree with you. (I guess perhaps I made an assumption about what you meant by lengthy).

Archived