Phraseology - 2013

Kip Powick

Obviously, this poll may have, you know, a degree of error so you don't, like, have to believe what you are reading as absolute gospel and put too much credibility in the data. ..... I'm just say'n........whatever.

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y.—When it comes to phrases that annoy, it looks like it’s “whatever” forever.

Pollsters at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., found that Americans considered “whatever” to be the most annoying word or phrase in conversation for a fifth straight year.

Thirty-eight per cent of adults polled said “whatever” was most annoying in conversation, followed by “like” at 22 per cent and “you know” at 18 per cent. Bringing up the rear were “just sayin,’” and “obviously.”

The telephone poll of 1,173 adults living in the continental United States was conducted Dec. 3 through Dec. 5 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points

Obviously, this poll may have, you know, a degree of error so you don't, like, have to believe what you are reading as absolute gospel and put too much credibility, or whatever, to the data, I'm just say'n........

Well done, except your use of the "whatever" was incorrect in that you used it correctly. I feel you should correct your "whatever" by changing it to an incorrect usage to add effect to your post. If you don't agree - whatever!

Done, I think....... :blush:

Just for you seeker.. :Grin-Nod:

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my children, friends, family, and AEF.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much into physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favourite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

Being referred to as "You guys" by waiters. (Call me picky, I know)

You are not being picky at all.

When a waiter says that to me, (out with the Admiral), I normally respond by pointing out that the person I am with is a female and not a "guy".

If we are in a group, (couples), setting and the server says "guys" I point out that there are females present and ask that he/she refrain from grouping us as one sex.......normally an apology follows and we are then referred to as "folks". :Grin-Nod:

Don't pi$$ off old folks.....your tip depends on being respectful. :glare::biggrin1:

My personal favourite. When I was first new to visiting Newfoundland many years ago, the waitress had the habit of adressing you as 'me lover'. As in "What'll you have, me lover?" It kind of threw me for a while cuz being a lover, in my books, meant you were eventually gonna get nekkid. Fortunately, one of them went on to prove the point. Yay.

Nothing makes you feel more local than a server coming up and asking if she can get anything for "yous' guys" ??.

!Hah! Do you live anywhere near Claremont?

I took my mother to our local restaurant for lunch once.... The girl who pumped gas next door was working part time as a "waitress"... "Hey Mitcher! How's it goin? ....so whu'd'yous guys want?" :lol:

Many years ago we went to a small pub in New York. The waitress came around to take our order and we made our selections. When she came back to the table with the beers she said: "You guys aren't from around here, are you?" "No, why do you ask?"....."Cause you all said 'please'"

Nothing makes you feel more local than a server coming up and asking if she can get anything for "yous' guys" ??.

Yes, not nice but not really an annoying phrase. It is truly unfortunate that someone did not teach that individual proper grammar. As soon as I hear someone speaking like that I immediately assume the individual must have left school at a very young age...or....the school the individual attended was extremely poor with respect to teaching proper English.

Most people that have difficulty with correct grammar are a product of their environment, and if the parents are weak in using proper grammar, it follows that many of their children will be the same. Sad to hear.

Archived