Embraer 175

Are the brakes overly sensitive on this aircraft? I flew on AC 506 from ORD-YYZ recently and it seemed that every time the Captain applied the brakes it really shook up the passengers. As they taxied away from the gate in ORD, I think they were cut off by a ground vehicle and the brakes came on hard and fast. I kind of thought it was worthy of a PA. But then it was repeated with each brake application until we got to the runway.

The landing in Toronto was smooth in gusty crosswind conditions and everything was going nicely until another exceptionally hard braking. There were a few gasps and the lady next to me put her hand up to stop her head from hitting the setback in front of her. The last one was as we approached the gate and we went from about 3kts. to an immediate stop.

So is this normal or does the Captain need to ride as passenger on one of his own flights?

Just wondering....

Well if you drive your car that way someone's bound to mention it. I'm pretty sure your spouse would be at the top of the advisory list.

Thor: Ground speed readout. I suppose it should just be "knots" to be clearly understood by all.

Well if you drive your car that way someone's bound to mention it. I'm pretty sure your spouse would be at the top of the advisory list.

I do try to mention it, but usually that's when the fight starts.

Air Canada ordered them without auto brakes and the multi-disk carbon brakes require coming up to temperature to become effective. The touchdown protection prevents brake application until 3 seconds after touchdown or a wheel spinup of 50 kts. Further, the reversers only become active once the nose wheel is down. Coming off a much larger aircraft, I've definitely noticed a reduced reverse capability on the EMB175 compared to my previous aircraft types.

I take pride in my ability to apply the brakes subtly but when you're dealing with these characteristics, safety is always paramount.

Air Canada ordered them without auto brakes

Air Canada did not order them.

They were ordered by UA Airways who decided at delivery time (almost) that they did not want them and Air Canada took them on (at a hell of a discount)

Air Canada did not order them.

They were ordered by UA Airways who decided at delivery time (almost) that they did not want them and Air Canada took them on (at a hell of a discount)

There was the rumour that AC had hired a broker about one year ago to try to sell/lease the 175's away following the pilot contract arbitration but could not find an interested party yet now hundreds of orders are appearing on Embraer's books for the 175.

It will be interesting to see how long the orphan 175 fleet is operated by SKY. The CPA term is just 3 years so it clearly gives AC a lot of flexibility in continuing to attempt to dispose of the 175's (and SKY). I doubt that SKY/Payson would be willing to finance the purchase without a minimum 10 year deal. Actually, I doubt that SKY would be unwilling to finance any fleet acquisition to be operated on behalf of AC and that responsibility will likely continue to fall to AC. Save money on CPA labour and block hour expense but load up the balance sheet financing CPA fleet requirements and employ multiple short term CPA's. Novel idea. But will it work when the entire CPA fleet inventory is only 160 aircraft and many are either economically or age/cycle obsolete? Time will tell.

I was taught, and it has been my experience, that except for an emergency, smooth brake application, especially when coming to a stop........ can be achieved by taking almost all the pressure of the brake pedals just before you want to stop.

Yes, it takes practice but it made for smooth stops and it really helps if you have good peripheral vision to watch the rate of forward movement, in anticipation of the slow rolling stop. :biggrin1:

FOR IFG...Had to master the technique to ensure HM did not do a face-plant into her tea :icon_butt:

I was taught, and it has been my experience, that except for an emergency, smooth brake application, especially when coming to a stop........ can be achieved by taking almost all the pressure of the brake pedals just before you want to stop.

Yes, it takes practice but it made for smooth stops and it really helps if you have good peripheral vision to watch the rate of forward movement, in anticipation of the slow rolling stop. :biggrin1:

FOR IFG...Had to master the technique to ensure HM did not do a face-plant into her tea :icon_butt:

:thumbup:, Kip - Similarly taught, I'd actually picked up on the technique from a piece in Flying Magazine by Len Morgan. No tea served on the Islander for HRH, but to this day, even the letters and boxes get the same treatment. Still don't like any nose-bobbing at the final stop.

Cheers, IFG :b:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received an email from AC regarding my flight that initiated this thread.

"On behalf of Air Canada, we would like to invite you to complete an online survey about your recent travel from Chicago O'Hare IL to Toronto ON (Pearson) on June 17, 2013 on flight AC506. The completion of the questionnaire will take approximately 10 minutes. As a valued Air Canada Aeroplan frequent flyer we would appreciate your valuable feedback to help us improve the Star Alliance travel experience."

Not sure what they ask but it says I have two weeks to respond.

Archived