Cop Stories... Anyone Got A Good One?

I have followed drivers going BANG ON the speed limit through a subdivision. Driving very cautiously...Then run a STOP sign. WTF. There is not point system where you can build them up in one place and lose them in others.

Also of note, Cops WILL pull you over if you are driving at or below the speed limit and driving in a very cautious manner. This is a prime identifier of an impaired driver.

I guess that's why there's so many a$$holes out there then, they're hiding their impairment... :rolleyes:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's the case, then I expect to be pulled over in a residential neighbourhood some day. I try very hard to pay attention to the speed limit in residential areas. A lesson learned the hard way a long time ago when a friend of mine killed a small child right in front of her own house. He was doing 75 kph in a 50 zone.

I guess that's why there's so many a$$holes out there then, they're hiding their impairment... :rolleyes:

Wow, I used there's, they're and their all in one sentence!

I SMRT!

• 8 months later...

I just came across this image and thought it might go well here... :) :

935056_10151550420297508_1120075681_n.jp

In a perfect world, Mitch. The 401 is predominantly only 2 lanes and the self-appointed speed controllers (big rigs) dominate them both for much of the time.

One is going 1/4 kph faster than the guy ahead, so he "has" to pass. I watched more than once as this moving roadblock chewed up more than 10K before moving back into the right hand lane.

Grrr!

Right on Moon... With one youngun in Kingston and the other in Ottawa, I've experienced that many times... It's more than just trucks though... It seems as if some idjits think it's their duty to slow people down....

In a perfect world, Mitch. The 401 is predominantly only 2 lanes and the self-appointed speed controllers (big rigs) dominate them both for much of the time.

One is going 1/4 kph faster than the guy ahead, so he "has" to pass. I watched more than once as this moving roadblock chewed up more than 10K before moving back into the right hand lane.

Grrr!

I agree...but with a caveat.....the time it takes for a big rig to pass another big rig can be frustrating but there is one aspect of the pass that no one has brought up.

Big rig drivers like '4 wheelers' get frustrated when they can not maintain their chosen speed and thus decide to pass what they come upon a slower rig.............however...think about this.

One rig is doing the speed limit or very close to it...the passing rig is restricted to 105 + - 5 because of a speed governor, and yes............., many rigs have them now, (companies are tired of paying speeding tickets, delays, and drivers always driving with the 'hammer' down), so he will take quite a long time to pass a rig that is just 5 kmph slower than him.

The annoying part is if the rig with a governor attempts to pass another rig on a hill !!! :glare: ....but have patience...they are just people trying to do their job and many are exceptionally professional.

Here is an excerpt from the link below..

Quebec Ontario Canada Speed Limiter Law

Truckers Beware… Now that the new speed limiter law for Ontario and Quebec Canada has been put into effect the new speed limit for trucks is 105kph (65mph). Truck drivers entering these provinces will be subject to having their ECM speed data scrutinized by public officials with hand held devices. If violations are found, the drivers will have to pay fines and have the violations corrected before they are allowed to continue thier trip. According to regulations, fines of $250. to $20,000. may be charged.

Ontario Checking ECM Settings

Recent Reports 9/10/09 indicate that Ontario is checking ECM data. The hand-held data extractor is plugged in under the dash of the vehicle via dataport to the ECM and then data is downloaded into the device. Into the scale house with the data and plugin to the laptop or desktop computer where speed governor settings are analyzed.

http://fastertrucks.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/quebec-ontario-canada-speed-limiter-law/

Like many YYZ based employees, I drive highway 400 back and forth to work (that's the main highway that goes north from the GTA into Barrie and points beyond for you non-Ontario folks), and it is like a whole other world of driving compared to the 401. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I suspect it's a combination of "commuter drivers" (they know the routine and do it often), and the lack of on/off ramps compared to the 401. Not nearly the same volume of transports, but they tend to keep right. When I drive the 401, it's often just a scary place to be. Big (frustrated) trucks, lane hoppers, tailgaters and seemingly much more aggressive, self-centered drivers. I can easily drive the 400 with the cruise control on the entire way, but not so much on the 401.

I've always said that I'd rather drive the 400 (even with weather) any day versus the 401. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges?

Unnerstan' all that Kip. Frustrating nonetheless! Slowly but surely, the 401 is growing some width in some places but until it's done the full length, this problem will persist. And quite frankly, if it's the truck owners who are tired of getting tickets, what stops them from extracting those amounts plus a penalty from the drivers? Self policing at its best!

Lastly, I do recognize that 98% of the drivers are as professional as those you and I know in OUR profession. No tongue-in-cheek intended!

In the last 5 years I have noticed a huge increase of Trucks in the Left lane of 3 or 4 lanes on the 401 between the airport and Highway 25. Most of that route has a restriction against Tractor Trailers using the left lane at all. It is one of several areas in the provicnce to have a specific restriction in the Highway Traffic Act. I can only assume that these are "new" drivers. It causes Traffic slowdowns like crazy specifically in the area of highway 10.

I have also noticed that, when heading east, there seem to be no rules on the 401 until you get past Oshawa where people begin to behave a little better and do move over for faster vehicles. Trucks are still a bone of contention here though.

My favourite people are the ones that are going slow but do move over so you can pass. then they speed up and pass you. I passed the same guy 9 times between Kingston and Toronto one time and I had my cruise control set. nice speed regulation buddy.

There is an article that goes with the picture above. (Quoted Below)

It doesn't matter if you're going the speed limit. You may feel like you're doing the right thing by slowing a speeder down, or you may feel it's your RIGHT to drive in any lane you 'darn well please.'

You're not. It's not.
And you ARE breaking the law.

Here's how it is DESIGNED to work:
You're in what you think is just like any other lane except that it's 'fast'. Someone approaches you from behind at 64mph (and you look down to see you're going 57mph and you switch to your smug 'justified' face because the sign says 55). While rather close in proximity, the driver begs you to move over.

Oh, how you should.

But you don't.

The driver tries to be patient and now cars start lining up behind both of you. There's a quick flash of the brights, (Which means the driver would like to pass) and if you look up from your phone you either move over, or your ego decides that you'll be stubborn (and in some cases actually slow down ON PURPOSE). In most cases you don't even notice the signal (flash to pass) but you just start complaining about the guy riding your bumper.

Now there's four or five vehicles lining up behind you while you have a LOT of distance ahead of you and enough room to move over. Now the sixth vehicle back finally jets across two lanes of traffic to go around not only you and the cars behind you, but but also around the slower cars in the two lanes to your right, only to find that there's no GOOD reason for you to be IN THE WAY.

Note that he used the 'SLOW' lane to do this in and dangerously passes on the right.

Move over. You don't have to be stubborn. It's not your lane. You don't have to be self-righteous. Please be part of the solution. Don't cause traffic jams and contribute to road rage.

Iam also not sure why people call the left lane the "Fast" lane. On my morning and evening commute it is usually the slowest lane on the highway. The centre lane typically moves the fastest on my commute.

Ontario HTA

Unnecessary slow driving prohibited

132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a road service vehicle. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (10).

Here is the section for Trucks on 3 lane or more highways. This does not apply on the two lane portions of the 401.....Unfortunately.

186. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit the operation of,

(a) a commercial motor vehicle other than a bus; or

(B) any combination of a commercial motor vehicle and a towed vehicle,

that exceeds 6.5 metres in length, in the left lane of any highway under its jurisdiction that has three or more lanes for traffic in each direction and on which the speed limit is 80 kilometres per hour or more. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 186 (1); 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 30.

When prohibition does not apply

(2) A by-law passed under subsection (1) does not apply to the use of the left lane of a highway by a commercial motor vehicle,

(a) that is being used for the maintenance or construction of the highway; or

(B) in an emergency. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 186 (2).

Signs

(3) Where the council of a municipality passes a by-law under subsection (1), the municipality shall erect signs over the left lane of the highway governed by the by-law so located that they can be seen by the drivers of commercial motor vehicles entering the highway from connecting or intersecting highways. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 186 (3).

and just to keep it aircraft related....

Aircraft on highways

Removal of aircraft from highway after emergency landing

187. (1) Where an aircraft has made an emergency landing on a highway, the pilot in command thereof, if he or she is physically capable, shall, as soon after landing as is reasonably possible, remove or cause it to be removed from the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 187 (1).

Aircraft and movement along highway subject to Act

(2) Subject to subsection (3), no aircraft shall be driven or drawn along a highway unless the aircraft and the movement thereof comply with the provisions of this Act respecting vehicles and the movement thereof on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 187 (2).

Aircraft take-off from highway

(3) Where an aircraft has landed on a highway because of an emergency related to the operation of the aircraft, the aircraft may take off from the highway provided,

(a) a licensed commercial pilot, not being the owner of the aircraft, who is qualified to fly that class and category of aircraft, and the pilot in command of the aircraft are both satisfied that the aircraft is airworthy and that there are no physical obstructions on or over the highway which would make such take-off unsafe;

(B) the pilot in command of the aircraft is satisfied that weather conditions are satisfactory for the purpose and that the minimum requirements are met under the visual flight rules established by the regulations made under theAeronautics Act (Canada) or, if the flight is to be continued under instrument flight rules, that adequate arrangements can be made for obtaining a clearance from an air traffic control unit prior to entering instrument flight weather conditions;

© traffic control is provided by the appropriate police force; and

(d) the police force consents to the take-off. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 187 (3).

Penalty

(4) Every person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $10,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 187 (4).

No liability where good faith

(5) No proceeding for damages shall be instituted against a police force, police officer or pilot, for an act or an omission done or omitted to be done by it, him or her in respect of the subject-matter of subsection (3) where the force, officer or pilot was acting in good faith. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 187 (5).

What I really really hate is when there is a line of truckers in the right lane and you are overtaking them at 20-30kph. Just as you get abreast of them one of the trucks in the middle of the line decides to pull out at pass at 2kph. Now you're stuck for 10 minutes waiting for this clown to get out of your way.

Grrr!

My last drive at night I tried something new - I flashed them with the high beams. Never did that before if you can believe it. Much to my utter amazement it worked. The trucker magically cleared the left lane by speeding up or slowing back down (or maybe the truck being overtaken slowed a bit to let him in?) I tried it several times thereafter that night - same result. Maybe I was lucky? I was most certainly surprised.

Be careful with getting their attention with flashing the lights at night.

I did that once and it shocked the driver ahead so badly that she stomped on her brakes and swerved to the right.

As we passed my son said 'Well, she is putting the cellphone away now'.

Be careful with getting their attention with flashing the lights at night.

I did that once and it shocked the driver ahead so badly that she stomped on her brakes and swerved to the right.

As we passed my son said 'Well, she is putting the cellphone away now'.

Agree...flashing headlights and tailgating at the same time is an absolute no-no :blush:

Wow...really?? I have been doing that for decades, works for the most part, with cars, and, to a fair degree, with the big rigs. :blush:

Really. I never wanted to alarm/blind somebody or push somebody into doing something rash/hurried so I've always just waited. Nowadays though I'm with Mo on this. There seem to be more trucks out there these days and some truly rotten drivers (not like the old days)and my patience has worn out. If they're passing somebody then and don't have the horses to do it then they're holding up 100 cars travelling 20 km an hr faster. Both lanes fill up and the following distances shrink and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If they're passing somebody then and don't have the horses to do it then they're be holding up 100 cars travelling 20 km an hr faster. Both lanes fill up and the following distances shrink and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

That's exactly right. ..and in uglier conditions than normal, if anyone makes one mistake, a bunch are at risk as a result.... But sadly, it's often not HP at fault... it's too often just ignorance. :(

Archived