Porter To Get C Series

internet

I live 30 Km as the crow flies west of Pearson and back in the day I could hear a 727 hit take off thrust on a warm summer evening. now THAT'S noise :Grin-Nod:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The noise issue of aircraft operating at YTZ is a joke. For anyone living near the Toronto harbourfront, the list of other city noise sources exceeds anything a Q400 or a CSseries jet will ever generate.

End of story. New topic please!!!!

No bean, WestJet's new ship, pardon me plane, was so quiet that no one heard or saw it...maybe it had the cloaking device on?!!! I thought you might enjoy the reference since you're such a trekky!

But apparently only Porter's aircraft have the magic silent switch on their aircraft.....

I hope Encore has added that customer option to their Q400 orders. Maybe Porter scooped all those up too?

Once the YTZ western gap walkway is completed and the runway is extended, I am sure Porter will try to join the party. However, I think they will only steal away their own YYZ passengers who will be able to save bus fare to Pearson.

... I think they will only steal away their own YYZ passengers who will be able to save bus fare to Pearson.

Does anybody have an accurate (ie. non-rumour) number of how much it will cost to take the train to Pearson when the link is finished?

From Metrolynx

How much will a trip on the Union Pearson Express cost?

As it’s still three years from launch, the fare for the Union Pearson Express has not yet been set. The service, however, will be priced competitively and offer value to its guests.

Yeah... saw that... the problem is that they will consider themselves "competitive" with limos charging $58 from downtown. If we assume 2 people per car, Metrolynx could charge as much as $29 one way and still call themselves "competitive".

Even at half that, it would be 6 times what it costs in ORD (although with fewer stops).

In YUL, although it's not a train, if you buy an airport bus ticket to downtown, it includes 24 hours of in-town bus and metro transit.

I just don't see that happening at YYZ, unfortunately. My unofficial guess is $18 with no transit included... and if you're an airport employee, you'll still have to pay tax on the parking spot for the car you don't own.

The numbers I keep hearing most often are $25-$30 one way which is what one might expect for an express service aimed primarily at downtown visitors.

It would probably be cheaper to take the GO train to Malton station and then take a cab over to YYZ.

Go Train from Georgetown to Union is $18.95 return. Malton is about half way so my guess would be somewhere in the $8-10 one way range However since it is an express service it may be priced higher. but that is just a wild guess.

They are accepting Presto cards as well so pricing may fall in line with other Metrolynx services.

Quiet? The Q400 breaches two of the three noise maximums, any one of which puts it into the definition of a prohibited aircraft for generating excessive noise. Per TPA consultant: Lateral: 83.5 max - Q400 at 84/approach 92 max - Q400 93.1. Porter says the CS100 wil lbe similar. Both are too noisy - that's certainly the experience of the Q400 by those on the waterfront.

Says the man who made enough of a racket protesting to drown out the departure of Porter's inaugural YTZ-YOW flight...

After Jazz stopped flying to the Island I used the TTC for a bit to get from Pearson to the east end of Scarborough and it took nearly 3 hrs. It could have been longer but I took a $20.00 cab for the final leg home from the end of the subway line.

Needless to say when the Island opened up again I was thrilled.

The arrival of the Sky Regional flight is such that I can easily catch an express GO train from Union Station and for $6:00 essentially be sitting at home <25 minutes later. If I spend $10 more bucks I can catch a cab from the shoreside terminal to union and catch an earlier train with 4 or 5 stops. All totalled - it's about 1.25 hrs and $16 on avg to get home from the Island terminal. Travel times will be further reduced (~10 minutes) once the walkway is finished.

If I had to guess - the Pearson link will be close to double that in time and money. I'm thinking it won't be such a hit with business travellers or weekend travellers to/from downtown or along the lake. If Porter can expand to new destinations with the C series it will definitely become the preferred choice for about a 1/4 of the city's population.

After Jazz stopped flying to the Island I used the TTC for a bit to get from Pearson to the east end of Scarborough and it took nearly 3 hrs. It could have been longer but I took a $20.00 cab for the final leg home from the end of the subway line.

Needless to say when the Island opened up again I was thrilled.

The arrival of the Sky Regional flight is such that I can easily catch an express GO train from Union Station and for $6:00 essentially be sitting at home <25 minutes later. If I spend $10 more bucks I can catch a cab from the shoreside terminal to union and catch an earlier train with 4 or 5 stops. All totalled - it's about 1.25 hrs and $16 on avg to get home from the Island terminal. Travel times will be further reduced (~10 minutes) once the walkway is finished.

If I had to guess - the Pearson link will be close to double that in time and money. I'm thinking it won't be such a hit with business travellers or weekend travellers to/from downtown or along the lake. If Porter can expand to new destinations with the C series it will definitely become the preferred choice for about a 1/4 of the city's population.

Choice? You mean there's a choice of airlines at YTZ?

Did I miss the memo?

Last time I checked, the only choice at YTZ was on one route and one route only.

Not much of a choice by any rational definition of the word.

:cool:

There is NO PRICE set on the express link as yet. any price quotes are rumours. As I said before the same train line runs UNION to Georgetown (twice the distance) for $18.95 RETURN.

Guest rozar s'macco

I just pray they don't over think it. We have a congestion problem that costs the city eleventy billion dollars in lost productivity a year. We can't afford additional subways, or they are 20 yrs away.

Don't go all "user pay" on the airport link, thinking that the only people that benefit are the actual riders. Charge $6 and be thankful you've taken a car off the road and developed a piece of infrastructure that is useful. The milking of everything aviation-related in this country has to STOP.

I just pray they don't over think it. We have a congestion problem that costs the city eleventy billion dollars in lost productivity a year. We can't afford additional subways, or they are 20 yrs away.

Don't go all "user pay" on the airport link, thinking that the only people that benefit are the actual riders. Charge $6 and be thankful you've taken a car off the road and developed a piece of infrastructure that is useful. The milking of everything aviation-related in this country has to STOP.

Eleventy Billion a year?

How can you afford not to have subways (75 mill /km to build)?

The Pearson Express is an ABOVE GROUND route using 75% existing infrastructure including existing rail lines from Union Station to Malton. The Spur line under construction is the only new infrastructure to support the link. The timeline for completion is PRIOR to the panam games in 2015 and it has to be fully operational by then and is on track to be so. Since the PanAm games are the primary driver (Why? I dont know) I would expect the initial cost to the user to be low until the completion of the games at which point the government will hike the prices fro local residents.

Just my thoughts.

Yes it is truly a shame that is takes something like that to make a city realize that convenient transit to the airport is a necessity

If Porter can expand to new destinations with the C series it will definitely become the preferred choice for about a 1/4 of the city's population.

One caveat on the above

- When somebody like Taylor Swift plays the Rogers Center and 50,000 teenagers crowd the downtown core and bring traffic to a virtual standstill, it can take 40 minutes to transfer to Union Station. On those occasions, Maybe Pearson doesn't look so bad.

Archived