Porter To Get C Series

internet

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that Deluce grabbed an opportunity to get a lock on a valuable public asset by promising that it would make the Island Airport its home base, and grow service there. The Toronto Port Authority, wanting a successful commercial operation there, hitched its wagon to Porter. There's no openness, no fairness to other carriers. Only a single-minded dedication to Porter's success.

Let's see: so after years of dwindling traffic and missed opportunities by Air Canada/Jazz, you are displeased that finally Porter saw the potential of City airport, began investing millions of dollars in the terminal and infrastructure, created over a thousand jobs, bought 26 of Toronto-built aircraft, improved the economy; and the TPA wanting a successful commercial operation and therefore successful viable airport, (as per its mandate) proceeded to order ferries, create more jobs, and turn a profit on a sustained basis! And this is somehow bad?

And even though other carriers including WestJet never gave any thoughts to City airport, Continental Airlines after successfully acquiring slots declined to fly there, and Air Canada/Jazz chose to sue instead of actually providing some service, and lost ALL their multiple court cases; in spite of all that you somehow find an issue with those that actually did the work to promote the economy and the city in the name of openness and fairness? In the same name, are you trying to defend other carriers, or just shut-down City airport and send more traffic to Pearson and its 1.5 million neighbours to serve a small group?

MD2

Should have included you in my question to both The Bean and Dagger. You seem to be "in the know". What is the holdup on Porter's release of PLF data for April.

Also, when you say TPA's mandate is to have a succesful viable airport... would this be at all cost?

ai, suppose you are in charge of anything or in this case, the TPA; wouldn't your mandate be a viable sustainable enterprise? The fact that so much discussion is taking place and Porter's order is conditional indicate that they are NOT at all cost.

Hit the "post" button too quick. Thanks again MD2. Indeed Porter Airlines' order is conditional; however, this is their matter. I suppoe the TPA is watching how this will unfold and is content with existing arrangements. I suppose they would welcome a growth or jet service. All this discussion taking place would not necessarily suggest their mandate is NOT at all cost. Prudent, measured, perhaps... In the end, the TPA's definition of "succesful" really does not mean much financially, assuming they are a "not-for-profit" government body.

Also, am I overreadding things regarding Porter Airlines not releasing their April PLF?

Toronto council votes to study Porter request to extend island airport runway

Tue May 07, 2013 - Toronto Star
David Rider - Urban Affairs Bureau Chief

City council has voted 29-15 to authorize a staff study of issues around a Porter Airlines request to extend the island airport runway to accommodate jets.

Porter Airlines chief executive Robert Deluce welcomed the Tuesday evening vote and said his company will pay for at least part of the study into aircraft noise, traffic, environmental and other issues.

The work is expected to be done by consultants, with some results to be reported to the July 3 executive committee. City council is expected to return to the issue in November.

The initial studies are estimated at $275,000, which Porter has agreed to pay. Follow-up work is expected to cost $800,000 to $1 million and the city wants Porter and the Toronto Port Authority to pick up those costs.

Mayor Rob Ford also welcomed opening the door to expansion of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. He said Torontonians will have a chance to weigh in at the executive committee in July.

“It’s good, it’s a good beginning,” Ford said after the nearly five-hour debate. “It’s going to create jobs, it’s great for tourism.”

Deluce, who was present for the debate, said he was gratified by the strong council support for his plan, announced April 10, that would see Porter fly Bombardier CS100 jets.

“We look forward to moving to the next step and being able to provide some of those new destinations eventually at affordable prices,” Deluce said. “But the study first and hopefully an approval in due course.”

“Keep in mind, this jet has never flown and this proposal is still not off the tarmac,” Vaughan said.

• 2 weeks later...

The proposal certainly does not hinge on one person, and for the record the vote at city council was 29 to 15 which I believe did not even require the mayor's vote. The mayor has supported the bill because if the noise level is the same, it creates new jobs, improves the economy and sells more Canadian-built airplanes, then there is no downfall as he said. This proposal requires a calm and rational debate and approval of all three governing levels, not a mob mentality which is what is being demonstrated here by those who wish Porter to fail as they grasp at any opportunity and frankly it is very pathetic!

Imagine the jobs created if YTZ was open to all comers without restriction......

Want to see the economic impact of what an airport does for a city? Take a drive thru Bellingham, Washington anyday of the week....

Get a new shtick...

Porter came by their slots honestly, I can't imagine that if Air Canada through their own self-destructive tendencies delivered WestJet a commanding advantage in a given market you would seriously suggest any of this.

Although I'm a blood teal WestJetter for over a dozen years, I've got to admit that MD2 and Super 80 have valid points. Deluce may be many things, but dummy ain't one of em.

Having worked at a Deluce family airline in the (distant) past, I can attest to their business smarts and am pretty sure they've got this thing covered from multiple angles. No matter how it all goes down, I doubt you'll see Mr. Deluce at a food bank any time soon (unless he volunteers a day there).

In time and with a pragmatic view and vision, Toronto City airport will be an economic engine and a jewel in downtown attracting millions of people as an integral, valued and environmentally responsible part of that beautiful city and its airports serving a common market. It has been done in London, New York, and Paris among others and there is no reason it can't be done in Toronto.

Guest rozar s'macco

There may even be a new dive spot off the end of the runway, the worlds first CS100 reef...just imagine the synergy.

I can pretty much guarantee that WJ would have never devised a plan that assumed a defacto monopoly in any of the markets it operated into. It's not a realistic plan to run with in a free market.

So how is it that Porter has perfected mind control such that they can embark Air Canada on a futile litigation strategy, but not get Adam Vaughn to walk into the path of a street car?

Had Air Canada flown from the island instead of rapid-firing nuisance lawsuits they could have secured much greater access, they didn't and here we are. Air Canada even torpedoed their own slot application to use it as the basis of yet another lawsuit, which they also lost.

I really don't think Porter assumed that Air Canada would so spectacularly self-immolate over and over again.

Was an monopoly when started.

It was a monopoly for about an hour. In no particular order, Canadi>n, Canada 3000, Zip, Jazz, Air Canada (I think?) have all come and gone at YXX.

Was an monopoly when started.

YXX never had any restrictions on who could operate there. If Air Canada or anyone else wanted to launch 20x daily to Calgary, they could have done so at any time.

That's not the case at YTZ.

Bean, surely you realize the slot limitation at YTZ has nothing to do with Porter, rather it is part of the same "outdated" Tripartite Agreement.

I don't see Porter doing anything but hiding behind the terms and regulations of that agreement.....

A straight yes or no of you please:

Would Porter be prepared to both publicly and privately support the expansion of the YTZ runway to 6,000 feet, allow access to any stage 3 aircraft that can safely operate there and to remove slot restrictions to allow for full competitive access to the airport?

That would make YTZ no different than any other commercial airport in Canada.

Would you have a problem with that?

Guest rozar s'macco

That is the best idea for Toronto. Adding 1000' is like extending the subway system by one stop, when what the city really needs is 6 stops. Infrastructure should not be company- or type-specific. We don't make highways only wide enough for the Mazda3. The decision to allows jets provided they meet the noise threshold should result in the broadest expansion possible. And extra runway is good for all types, regardless.

Would Porter be prepared to both publicly and privately support the expansion of the YTZ runway to 6,000 feet, allow access to any stage 3 aircraft that can safely operate there and to remove slot restrictions to allow for full competitive access to the airport?

That is roughly as plausible as extending the runway at SNA over CA73. This proposal is just barely inside the realm of possibility.

But I would really, really like you to weigh in on whether you believe Air Canada could have possibly chosen a better course of action than losing umpteen lawsuits.

Archived