Christmas Season is coming

jkavafian

Then you have not been listening because everyone around me is putting restrictions. They are calling it a Holiday not Christmas. Walmart is selling Holiday gifts. Canadian Tire is selling Holiday Trees. I haven't heard anyone promoting the celebration of Christmas. I'm one of those who is fedup. If it's not a big deal as you say it, then it should not be that difficult to start celebrating Christmas.

Exactly.

And......Elementary schools. "Holiday Pageant" was the norm with quite a few schools, with little to no mention of what the celebration was supposed to be about.

Fortunately a lot of the schools are going back to mentioning Christmas and incorporating traditional songs...at least in our neck of the woods.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says you cant buy a Christmas card or Christmas tree?

\

try finding cards that say Christmas and let me know how readily available they are! Good luck, you're going to need it, they are out there but very difficult to find!

What about Canadian retailers!!!!! They're the ones whose political correctness and the hands of those minorities has run amok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They would never acknowledge Christmas in any advertising!!!

http://www.saveland.ca/Zellers/flyer/5229/63486

Why Won't they just say CHRISTMAS!!!! I don't know what the H-E double hockey sticks is going on but why can't Rona just call it a Christmas tree instead of an "Arbre de Noel"

2278171.jpg

Why are we letting businesses like the card manufacturers, the toy-makers, the appliance-makers, the paper industry, etc etc, dictate what Christmas is?

Is Christmas a tree, gift-wrap, cards and carols or is it in our hearts? The imposition of a multi-cultural interpretation of the notion of Christmas is mistaking the signs of Christmas for Christmas itself.

As far as this family is concerned, Christmas hasn't changed one bit including the true seasonal greetings. We don't pay attention to what business, government, our schools or special interest groups want us to say, think or do. The notion of multiculturalism intends inclusiveness and the moment it differentiates people from one another and tries to control public behaviour, it is no longer multiculturalism, it is a political power structure and deserves to be ignored.

Cards can be found and so can trees, ornaments, lights and paper, but if all that pushed out the symbols of Christmas, does that mean there is no more Christmas? Of course not! What I see however, is a society permitting itself to be dictated to by the market on how it will celebrate something which has nothing to do with commerce, and the market always knows where people will spend their money, no matter what the symbols are, multi-cultural or no. The market is a cold thing, not a spirit of giving and receiving and that message will never be surpassed by others' symbols, nor will our symbols surpass others'...

Choosing to ignore how the market interprets and sells the most spiritual time of the year for Christians of all persuasions is not an act of defiance. Oddly it is an act of inclusion because it tacitly recognizes one's own important spiritual beliefs while recognizing others. A note to a friend is a Christmas Card - it doesn't need sparkling snow, artificially cozy winter scenes, Santa or candles on the front and a computer-written message inside to convey our true feelings towards our family and friends.

Merry Christmas to all our friends here on the AEF, and a Happy New Year from the Hudson's. Be well and may good fortune smile on you.

What about Canadian retailers!!!!! They're the ones whose political correctness and the hands of those minorities has run amok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They would never acknowledge Christmas in any advertising!!!

http://www.saveland.ca/Zellers/flyer/5229/63486

Why Won't they just say CHRISTMAS!!!! I don't know what the H-E double hockey sticks is going on but why can't Rona just call it a Christmas tree instead of an "Arbre de Noel"

2278171.jpg

You can have as much fun as you'd like trying to uncover symbols that recognise Christmas. I will admit, however, that this year I am seeing more mentions of Chtristmas than years past. That may be so because so many Christians have become re offended by the retailers' stupidity of it all and voicing their displeasure. Having said that, I just checked this week's Canadian Tire flyer and nowhere in it do they mention Christmas.

I am not uncovering symbols of Christmas. I am pointing out instances where the word "Christmas" is being used in advertising, cards, etc as the point being made that CHRISTMAS HAS BEEN HIJACKED BY MINORITIES!!!!!

Non story that gives the get off my lawn crowd something to rail against.

So call it what it is and shut tme up. Wish everyone a "HAPPY JESUS' BIRTHDAY" It is after all the reason for the season.

Who gives a flying @#$% what the retailers want to call it because retail IS NOT CHRISTMAS. Christmas is not about BUYING STUFF it is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ and spending time with family and friends. I could go into a whole bunch of sappy Christmas Special stuff but really why do we even care what the retailers call it? Yes I buy gifts for my family and we celebrate like anyone else but it is not the RETAILERS that make Christmas. It is each of us.

December 25 IS CHRISTMAS no matter what. Every other day surrounding Christmas Day is in fact the holiday season.

So in Closing

Have a happy Holiday and a very Merry Christmas.

if you dont like it #$%^ off

Trader - Fair point. I just have yet to see anyone anywhere try to put a restriction on celebrating Christmas.

My wife is a teacher (not in liberal Toronto but in calgary) and her school (part of the public system) has sent out memos to the teachers reminding them that it is a HOLIDAY season not a CHRISTMAS season.

There is no CHRISTMAS pageant ... its a HOLIDAY festival...

Her school is much the same as all of the schools in the city.

That is indeed PC BS in action.

SB

My wife is a teacher (not in liberal Toronto but in calgary) and her school (part of the public system) has sent out memos to the teachers reminding them that it is a HOLIDAY season not a CHRISTMAS season.

SB

And that makes it harder for you to celebrate Christmas how exactly??

It did not stop religous Christmas songs from being sung at the "Holiday" festival I was at. I was suprised to hear Silent Night being sung by all of those little voices. I can give you the school if you want.

It has not stopped a school principal from wishing parents a Merry Christmas in his newsletter, seems nobody is causing an uproar. I can e-mail you the newsletter if you want.

This is much ado about nothing.

SB

More PC BS in action.

From The National Post.

http://news.national...-february-fest/

OTTAWA — Parents have criticized a decision by an Ottawa-area school to cancel its annual Christmas concert and replace it with a non-denominational winter fest – in February.

Much to the dismay of some families, there will be no Christmas concert at Cambridge Public School this year.

Instead, the school — in Embrun, Ont, southeast of Ottawa — will host a holiday-themed craft night later this month and hold a concert in February.

Kelly McParland: Ottawa school right to ban Christmas concert

The school said in a newsletter sent to parents this week that the annual concert is being moved so every student can participate.

"As our school community continues to grow, we welcome more families who do not celebrate Christmas. It is our belief that these students deserve the opportunity to take part in the concert experience too," says the email, signed by principal Mhairi Rowland.

Nevertheless, traditionalists have balked, saying that the school's concert was a prime source of Christmas cheer.

"For me and my kids, Christmas is really important," said Mary Ellen Schellenberg. "I don't think we should lose out on what we believe in, especially when it's a small group of people who sit out by choice."

"If we accept their cultures and beliefs, our culture and beliefs should be accepted as well," she said.

The mother of three Cambridge students — who also attended the school and remembers with fondness the annual Christmas concert — emailed the principal as soon as she heard about the decision.

Ms. Schellenberg isn't a religious person, and said people in Canada celebrate the holiday for different reasons. "We can appreciate it without it just being religious."

Laura Bond said she is shocked by the decision.

For her and her family, the school's Christmas concert kicks off the holiday season and puts everyone in a festive mood. "It's just something I thought would never go away," she said.

Ms. Bond wondered why the concert couldn't just broaden its musical horizons to include everyone's traditions. "I have no problem with them putting on a 'holiday' concert and celebrating every culture; I would welcome it actually," she said.

Neither parent is pleased by the school's alternate plan and say they have no intention of attending the December 15 craft night. "If I wanted to do crafts, we could just do crafts here," Ms. Bond said.

And while she and Ms. Schellenberg both admit it's too late to plan a concert this year, they want the school to reconsider bringing it back next year. "I don't want it to be gone completely," Ms. Bond said.

A small number of the school's 206 students don't celebrate Christmas, the parents say.

That means these children must sit out, sometimes in the principal's office, while the rest of the students rehearse for the concert — something the principal and staff seem to think is unfair.

Ms. Rowland could not be reached for comment Thursday. But Caroll Carkner, the Upper Canada District School Board trustee for the area, said she supports the school's decision.

"They're just taking a different approach," she said. "They have the children's best interests at heart."

CTVNews.ca Staff

Date: Fri. Dec. 2 2011 2:33 PM ET

Service Canada sent out a memo last month advising that Christmas decorations should not be on public display at its Quebec offices.

According to a Friday report from La Presse, the memo came from Marc Simoneau and was sent to each of Service Canada's 118 Quebec offices.

Simoneau is the head of Service Canada in Quebec.

The memo said that decorations should not be displayed in places that the public would see or have access to.

But they could be displayed in employee-only areas, provided that they did not pose a safety hazard and were in good taste.

In the House of Commons Friday, Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said there is no national directive to ban decorations, and she added that as the government, "we like Christmas."

Finley's comments were in response to boisterous questioning from MPs, which forced the Speaker to call for order at one point.

Despite the holiday endorsement, Finley didn't specifically say if she would order the offices to reverse the decision to ban decorations.

CTV Montreal reporter Rob Lurie said the head of the union that represents Service Canada workers in Quebec is supportive of the contents of the decorations memo.

"The union does agree with this, saying that it will greatly cut down on complaints from people who find religious symbols to be offensive," he said.

Lurie also reported that there currently aren't any Christmas decorations up at the main Service Canada building in Montreal, despite similar displays at many other prominent public buildings in the city.

"Apparently there is no problem at Montreal City Hall, where people seem to love those decorations, nor at the Sainte-Justine hospital where they are putting a giant tree today," Lurie said.

"And there's no problem across the street at Complexe Desjardins where they have a tremendous Christmas village, which people I spoke to there say they absolutely love."

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20111202/service-canada-holiday-decorations-quebec-offices-111202/#ixzz1fPofdfa9

Don - business has stopped using CHRISTMAS to sell because of pressure from a small minority of vocal people and groups. I am guessing they made a decision based on perceived profit and trying to keep some customers happy. You are correct in that it does not define Christmas. My concern is that it defines a trend of political correctness that has pushed and pushed into Canadians lives.

Chock- who says that this is a Christian majority crying about their poor rights? In any of the above complaints about the 'loss' of Christmas how often do you see them coming from Christians? What I see is average Canadians, many who are like myself and do not practice a religion, getting to the point where they have had enough of others forcing their views and change on US!!! Christmas is, for may if not most, NOT a religious holiday but a family holiday. It is something that Canadians have grown up with and cherish. Maybe you don't but most of us do. The central issue here is not about a religious holiday but about the fact that we are being required to change our customs to accomodate others.

There have been enough examples posted on this thread alone to prove that it is not a minor issue so while I agree with you that it is not an evil conspiracy it is enough of an issue to have people speak up. And why shouldn't they? We have as much right to speak up as those who have spoken against Christmas.

I love the quote in the last post above from the Union Head--"The union does agree with this, saying that it will greatly cut down on complaints from people who find religious symbols to be offensive,". So then no one will be offended if we ban turbans, ceremonial knives, all religious clothing, necklesses and symbols?? Hmm, somehow I am not so sure about that. It seems that the religious (including non religious but cultural) symbols are acceptable for some groups but not for others.

Don - business has stopped using CHRISTMAS to sell because of pressure from a small minority of vocal people and groups. I am guessing they made a decision based on perceived profit and trying to keep some customers happy. You are correct in that it does not define Christmas. My concern is that it defines a trend of political correctness that has pushed and pushed into Canadians lives.

Chock- who says that this is a Christian majority crying about their poor rights? In any of the above complaints about the 'loss' of Christmas how often do you see them coming from Christians? What I see is average Canadians, many who are like myself and do not practice a religion, getting to the point where they have had enough of others forcing their views and change on US!!! Christmas is, for may if not most, NOT a religious holiday but a family holiday. It is something that Canadians have grown up with and cherish. Maybe you don't but most of us do. The central issue here is not about a religious holiday but about the fact that we are being required to change our customs to accomodate others.

There have been enough examples posted on this thread alone to prove that it is not a minor issue so while I agree with you that it is not an evil conspiracy it is enough of an issue to have people speak up. And why shouldn't they? We have as much right to speak up as those who have spoken against Christmas.

I love the quote in the last post above from the Union Head--"The union does agree with this, saying that it will greatly cut down on complaints from people who find religious symbols to be offensive,". So then no one will be offended if we ban turbans, ceremonial knives, all religious clothing, necklesses and symbols?? Hmm, somehow I am not so sure about that. It seems that the religious (including non religious but cultural) symbols are acceptable for some groups but not for others.

Hi Trader

Agree to disagree. I don't see anyone being required to change views to accomodate others. I think it is the "get off my lawn crowd" yelling about forced political correctness that does not exist.

Hi Trader

Agree to disagree. I don't see anyone being required to change views to accomodate others. I think it is the "get off my lawn crowd" yelling about forced political correctness that does not exist.

Sorry to jump in the middle here, but I think you have been living under a rock for too long.

Grrr!!

D&*m Christmas Lights. :angry:

And nuts to Noma for repackaging the LED string colours this year so it's impossible to simply add more of the same colour combos from last year.!! :head:

Grrrr!!

And nuts to mother nature for the constant drizzle today :angry:

Grrr!!

And really can't wait untill the women folk come home and start in with their 'constructive' comments and suggestions. :018::018:

Sigh

:m::m:

Exactly.

And......Elementary schools. "Holiday Pageant" was the norm with quite a few schools, with little to no mention of what the celebration was supposed to be about.

Fortunately a lot of the schools are going back to mentioning Christmas and incorporating traditional songs...at least in our neck of the woods.

Well, that's unfortunate if it's happening. When I was in Grade 6, I was dragooned to sing Christmas carols. So were the other kids of non-Christian or non-religious parents. And in my grade school, there were quite a few of us, maybe a third of the school if not more. I knew even then that this wasn't my holiday, and it was uncomfortable but the staff of this public school was Protestant even if the clientele was a lot more varied. And since Mrs. Cunningham was also the choirmaster, well, sing you did even if it seemed vaguely wrong. It was also a concern to our parents who didn't expect the schools to teach Christian kids our religious values or songs, but had to fend off the inevitable question from kids about why their friends got to hang stockings and get gifts. (Nor would I have wanted to be segregated from the Christian kids, made to sit in the library like a detention, because my family wasn't Christian or even religious.)

So count me among those who believe in a certain ecumenism at this time of year as it pertains to the public institutions MY taxes help support. And since businesses certainly want Hindus and Muslims and Jews and atheists to spend at this time of the year, they certainly have to broaden their appeal.

As for whatever you do at church, whatever greetings you wish to say to each other, whatever cards you want to send, I ain't stopping you. Decorate your tree, open your presents, carve your bird, be nice to the relatives you assiduously ignore the other 364, and wish everyone Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Men (but try to mean it this time). Hopefully you'll enjoy yourself before heading for the mall or the beach on Dec 26.

So I am guessing that you would have no issue with changing the laws so that turbans can not be worn in the RCMP, or ceremonial daggers brought to school, or Muslim head gear being worn at work in government offices or schools or Jewish symbols of faith being worn in those institutions. You know, since they are all paid for by our taxes.

Canada was founded by Christians (of all sorts) and has a tradition based in that. I see NOTHING wrong making that clear and letting those who chose to move to Canada understand that. Those traditions, for the most part, have become essentially agnostic in the eyes of many. They are Canadian traditions more so than religious ones for a lot of people. So when those traditions get stomped on, as they have been, you can expect some voices to cry out. In fact, Canadians have been amazingly tolerant of this for years as the boundries have been pushed an pushed.

Well I just received a petition to fight against allowing Muslim students the right to pray 5 times a day in PUBLIC schools. We have not even been allowed the lords paryer in public schools for years. When will the madness stop?

but the staff of this public school was Protestant

Lucky for you they weren't Catholic or you'd probably have a completly different set of issues :Clap-Hands:

If one decides not to celebrate than that is their choice, what always confuses me, is why they feel the need to make those who want to celebrate wrong, in order to justify their choice? :white:

Archived