Christmas Season is coming

jkavafian

Now is the time we get an avalanche of party invitations. Those who are sending me a "holiday" party invitation, I am replying: If it's a Christmas Party I am in. If it's a "holiday" party then you have to tell me which "holiday" it is before I accept.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now is the time we get an avalanche of party invitations. Those who are sending me a "holiday" party invitation, I am replying: If it's a Christmas Party I am in. If it's a "holiday" party then you have to tell me which "holiday" it is before I accept.

I like it :thumbup:

If someone thinks enough of my fellowship (but more likely my wife's) to invite me to a holiday party I accept or decline with a gracious response as afforded by my schedule and not by asking for further qualifiers of my host.

The war on Christmas

Who cares what's being celebrated. If there's a big meal involved then I'm always in!

If you are referring to 'Christmas' then I am sure you know that there are millions out there who do 'care' what is being celebrated and are sick and tired of all this PC crap that is being adhered to by many of the merchandisers of today.....but it was nice to see a Leon's Furniture add on TV tonight where the voice-over actually said "Merry Christmas".

This piece is from 2005..but rings true today....................My favourite line in this piece ........... ....Perhaps people who are offended by the use of the Christmas have "drunk too much from the multicultural well" and are victims of "political correctness run amok,"

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=1394841

If you are referring to 'Christmas' then I am sure you know that there are millions out there who do 'care' what is being celebrated and are sick and tired of all this PC crap that is being adhered to by many of the merchandisers of today.....but it was nice to see a Leon's Furniture add on TV tonight where the voice-over actually said "Merry Christmas".

This piece is from 2005..but rings true today....................My favourite line in this piece ........... ....Perhaps people who are offended by the use of the Christmas have "drunk too much from the multicultural well" and are victims of "political correctness run amok,"

To be honest, I have never met anyone who is offended by a "Merry Christmas". This is all a fabrication of some stupid people who think they are being inclusive. Allow me to vent here for a moment, any commercial enterprise that wants my business better refer to my Christmas by its name. Again, what "holiday" party are you inviting me for?

Hi Kip

I know this is going to derail the thread but I think the person you chose to quote should worry more about the systemic cover up of abuse by the Catholic Church than a manufactured non story about being denied the right to say "Merry Christmas". It is more a matter of trying to be inclusive than the worry about offending someone.

This whole notion about Christmas being under attack is idiotic.

I suppose it comes down to where you are, who you are inviting, and how inclusive you are. For example, this year Chanukah runs from Dec. 20-28 and if my place of employment had a number of Jewish staffers, celebrating only one religious holiday (isn't that what it's all about, celebrating Christ's birth, not getting pie-eyed and behaving like a moron) while ignoring another person's holiday would be a poor morale builder.

And we all know how some of you are so sensitive about workplace morale these days, and that it's all management's fault, blah, blah, blah

So Happy Holidays - and to the terribly oppressed Christian believers, Merry Christmas. I hope its a time where you rediscover the tolerance, respect and love of God that Christ preached and not the materialism on which this holiday is focussed.

Maybe if you all treated it like a religious holiday instead of a week off with Boxing Week sales (or double time and a half), Kip's complaint would reach a more receptive audience.

Wow Dagger. What a load of crap! So you claim now that Christians in Canada are more interested in getting drunk, getting some time off and have no interest in the religious element. Talk about arrogant and presumptuous.

How a person celebrates Christmas is their choice and the level of their religious commitment is as well. I'd say you, and in fact most people, have little clue as to how religious or spiritual others are. Church attendance is hardly a stat that defines peoples beliefs and spirituality.

I don't see there being an issue issue wishing someone a happy Chanukah, or Ramadan Kareem etc etc etc. If it falls over Christmas - great, it becomes even more festive.

The issue has become one were the majority have been told that they can't express themselves because it might cause some in the minority discomfort. In fact, it seems that the issue arises NOT from those minorities but rather from a minority WITHIN that minority raising complaints and from a larger group of 'do-gooders' who feel that in order to be inclusive we have to discard our traditions.

The Christmas Tree fiasco in Seattle a few years ago is a good example. It was Jewish leaders who came forward to join the fight to save the tree, claiming that Christians should celebrate their holiday.

I live in a Muslim country. The only official holidays are Islamic. Not one person I know here (meaning foreign expats) have an issue with it and why should we. I can celebrate my own traditions and religious holidays in private with no difficulty. I don't need special status, conditions or rules to do so and I do not need to attempt to reduce the Muslim populations ability to celebrate their own by telling them not to do so publicly. I don't need the day(s) off on my religious holidays and I gladly take the days off during the Muslim holidays while wishing those Muslims a Ramadan Kareem.

Even odder than that here in the Muslim world during this time of year you see CHRISTMAS trees and MERRY CHRISTMAS in almost every mall. My Muslim coworkers all wish people Merry Christmas. I get asked constantly by Muslims at this time of year why it is that in North America and Europe have such issues with celebrating Christmas! Even they find it ridiculous that we can't say Merry Christmas without fear of offending. Oddly enough THEY themselves are not offended.

So it seems the issue lies with only some people. As a country with people of predominantly Christian backgrounds and, considering our history as such, it is only natural that our public holidays are based on that. That in NO WAY diminishes the religious or cultural festivities of other people!!!!!

Finally, even for the most un-religious Canadians Christmas is, at the least, a time to spend some time with family and friends and I, personally, have no issue with someone who is just happy to celebrate the non-religious aspect of Christmas.

I for one am looking forward to getting pie eyed and acting like a moron. it only comes around once a year. I avoid the Boxing Day sales though. I am not a crowd person.:Dancing-Chilli::icon_pidu:

Hi Kip

I know this is going to derail the thread but I think the person you chose to quote should worry more about the systemic cover up of abuse by the Catholic Church than a manufactured non story about being denied the right to say "Merry Christmas". It is more a matter of trying to be inclusive than the worry about offending someone.

This whole notion about Christmas being under attack is idiotic.

Morniing Chocky...

My intent is not to say Christmas is under attack. My intent was to point out that , here in Canada, retailers are 'afraid' to festoon their stores with banners that say "Merry Christmas" because they feel that they are descriminating against those that do not celebrate that particular holiday/tradition. No one is being "denied" the right to say "Merry Christmas" or to celebrate the holiday but stores etc are afraid of offending the 'non-believers' thus "Merry Christmas" has become "Happy Holidays" and in many instances the political correctness concerning Christmas and its traditions , (if we can call it that) has gone overboard...to appease a minority.

I believe TRADER, (above), has summed it up very well.

If you want to narrow it all down Christmas is a DAY not a season or holiday. In fact it is a BIRTHDAY celebration for a specific invidual. Oddly enough it is a religious figure, CHRIST whose birth was celebrated by attending MASS in the church, hence the name of the DAY CHRISTMAS. I suppose it is a holiday when you break down the word to its origin of HOLY DAY.

So we celebrate CHRISTMAS HOLY DAY for one day a year. Every other day may be a religious celebration for another religion, race, creed, sex, species whatever. All are entitled and I personally (not a religious person by any means) will celebrate with any one of them be it Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Male, Female, and even my dog. We all have the rigt to celebrate whatever our beliefs hold and if anyone is offended by that then it is they who have the issue.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Festivus or whatever you celebrate.

Why not just enjoy the spirit of the season and wish each other well.

Be Well

I suppose it comes down to where you are, who you are inviting, and how inclusive you are.

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with respecting our own holiday just as we respect those of others. I don't wish Happy Holidays to my Jewish friends. I wish them a Happy Chanukah.

Like Trader says, all around the world people celebrate Christmas even when there is no religious meaning to them. You know that I spend a lot of time in Japan. Less than 2% of the Japanese are Christians. Look the impact Christmas has on their culture. It's all over the place 7/24 for the whole month of December. http://davestewart.wordpress.com/2008/12/25/christmas-in-japan-and-china/

I'll accept it if someone wishes me a Happy Holiday Season because that spans the Christmas and New Year period. But my Bank has learned a lesson and sends me a Merry Christmas card every year.

Maybe if you all treated it like a religious holiday instead of a week off with Boxing Week sales (or double time and a half), Kip's complaint would reach a more receptive audience.

I am working Christmas Day at straight time, we don't get stat holidays! Happy Chanukah!

Wow Dagger. What a load of crap! So you claim now that Christians in Canada are more interested in getting drunk, getting some time off and have no interest in the religious element. Talk about arrogant and presumptuous.

How a person celebrates Christmas is their choice and the level of their religious commitment is as well. I'd say you, and in fact most people, have little clue as to how religious or spiritual others are. Church attendance is hardly a stat that defines peoples beliefs and spirituality.

I don't see there being an issue issue wishing someone a happy Chanukah, or Ramadan Kareem etc etc etc. If it falls over Christmas - great, it becomes even more festive.

The issue has become one were the majority have been told that they can't express themselves because it might cause some in the minority discomfort. In fact, it seems that the issue arises NOT from those minorities but rather from a minority WITHIN that minority raising complaints and from a larger group of 'do-gooders' who feel that in order to be inclusive we have to discard our traditions.

The Christmas Tree fiasco in Seattle a few years ago is a good example. It was Jewish leaders who came forward to join the fight to save the tree, claiming that Christians should celebrate their holiday.

I live in a Muslim country. The only official holidays are Islamic. Not one person I know here (meaning foreign expats) have an issue with it and why should we. I can celebrate my own traditions and religious holidays in private with no difficulty. I don't need special status, conditions or rules to do so and I do not need to attempt to reduce the Muslim populations ability to celebrate their own by telling them not to do so publicly. I don't need the day(s) off on my religious holidays and I gladly take the days off during the Muslim holidays while wishing those Muslims a Ramadan Kareem.

Even odder than that here in the Muslim world during this time of year you see CHRISTMAS trees and MERRY CHRISTMAS in almost every mall. My Muslim coworkers all wish people Merry Christmas. I get asked constantly by Muslims at this time of year why it is that in North America and Europe have such issues with celebrating Christmas! Even they find it ridiculous that we can't say Merry Christmas without fear of offending. Oddly enough THEY themselves are not offended.

So it seems the issue lies with only some people. As a country with people of predominantly Christian backgrounds and, considering our history as such, it is only natural that our public holidays are based on that. That in NO WAY diminishes the religious or cultural festivities of other people!!!!!

Finally, even for the most un-religious Canadians Christmas is, at the least, a time to spend some time with family and friends and I, personally, have no issue with someone who is just happy to celebrate the non-religious aspect of Christmas.

The tree fiasco happened in YYZ a number of years back, the mayor at the time Mel Lastman responded by saying he was a Jew and that the item in question was a CHRISTMAS TREE! I found it ironic that a man of Hebrew faith put to rest the nonsense of what name to give a Christmas tree instead of CHRISTMAS TREE!

[Q]The issue has become one were the majority have been told that they can't express themselves because it might cause some in the minority discomfort. In fact, it seems that the issue arises NOT from those minorities but rather from a minority WITHIN that minority raising complaints and from a larger group of 'do-gooders' who feel that in order to be inclusive we have to discard our traditions.[/Q]

This is not PC run amok. If a few isolated incidents where someone does not want a Christmas tree displayed or a store that decides "Happy Holidays" is better for business than "Merry Christmas" sends you into the bunker over how your way of life is under attack then I don't know what to say.

Chock-- I don't think it is a huge issue! As I said in the line you quoted--it is a minority of people that bring the issue to the forefront. But that doesn't mean it isn't important and that we shouldn't say anything.

Lets be clear here - if it was case of someone saying that Jews couldn't celebrate or use certain language or that Sikhs could not wear something traditional or Muslims were somehow restricted etc etc etc - it would be a HUGE issue! It would make national headlines and there would be court cases.

People should fight back against those that would restrict the freedom to celebrate Christmas just as those others do when they are.

Just because Bill O'Reilly needs to rant about it doesn't mean that all the rest of us are building bunkers. Rather, the rest of us are simply doing what many others (minorities) have done - protecting their beliefs. One Christmas Tree at a time :)

Trader - Fair point. I just have yet to see anyone anywhere try to put a restriction on celebrating Christmas.

Then you have not been listening because everyone around me is putting restrictions. They are calling it a Holiday not Christmas. Walmart is selling Holiday gifts. Canadian Tire is selling Holiday Trees. I haven't heard anyone promoting the celebration of Christmas. I'm one of those who is fedup. If it's not a big deal as you say it, then it should not be that difficult to start celebrating Christmas.

Then you have not been listening because everyone around me is putting restrictions. They are calling it a Holiday not Christmas. Walmart is selling Holiday gifts. Canadian Tire is selling Holiday Trees. I haven't heard anyone promoting the celebration of Christmas. I'm one of those who is fedup. If it's not a big deal as you say it, then it should not be that difficult to start celebrating Christmas.

My wife is a sales rep for a large food distribution company, as a result she has to go to all the major grocery store chains. They have been told at many chains that they are not permitted to say Merry Christmas and this is something that is spreading. The logic behind it being that they have had complaints from minority groups saying it is an insult to their beliefs. As far as I am concerned, prohibiting employees from saying MERRY CHRISTMAS is an insult to my beliefs and since I am of the majority, it should be permitted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS, I should be able to buy CHRISTMAS CARDS or a CHRISTMAS TREE. What we have now IS political correctness gone mad!icon_head222[1].gif

My wife is a sales rep for a large food distribution company, as a result she has to go to all the major grocery store chains. They have been told at many chains that they are not permitted to say Merry Christmas and this is something that is spreading. The logic behind it being that they have had complaints from minority groups saying it is an insult to their beliefs. As far as I am concerned, prohibiting employees from saying MERRY CHRISTMAS is an insult to my beliefs and since I am of the majority, it should be permitted to say MERRY CHRISTMAS, I should be able to buy CHRISTMAS CARDS or a CHRISTMAS TREE. What we have now IS political correctness gone mad!icon_head222[1].gif

Who says you cant buy a Christmas card or Christmas tree?

\

Archived