Travel during the continuing PANDEMIC

On 7/24/2021 at 8:54 PM, Kargokings said:

Only reasonable as the unvaccinated travelers will require more staff and processing times.

Pearson Airport to separate vaccinated and unvaccinated travellers upon arrival

Pearson Airport backtracks on policy to separate arrivals based on COVID-19 vaccination status

Policy was in effect for less than 2 days

Tue Jul 27, 2021 - CBC News

"Toronto Pearson, in collaboration with government and other partners, has determined that separation of vaccinated and non/partially-vaccinated travellers in customs lines results in minimal operational efficiencies,"

Thanks, Airband - interesting that they explain the backtrack due to "results in minimal operational efficiencies", and not for taking steps to maintain separations between fully-vaxxed and partially / not-vaxxed passengers. It's a logistical decision vice a public health-decision; - there it is.

I can certainly believe it's far more complicated to separate based upon vaccination status. Distinguishing between is essentially by testimonial as there is no organized system in place, (itself, being controversial), that provides formal documentation of vaccination.

I recently believed that "fully-vaxxed" meant one was essentially immune from being infected with COVID-19 and that it was reasonably safe, (from hospitalization or death), to be among unvaxxed people, say, in an airplane or a hotel, for example.

Clearly that belief needs to be modified to accomodate the data, which is itself, disconcerting. One has to pay attention to the evening news because things will have materially changed since the morning edition!

Border workers vote to strike, putting Canada's reopening plans at risk

CBSA officers have been asking for better protections against harassment and discrimination

Catharine Tunney · CBC News · Posted: Jul 27, 2021 11:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 19 minutes ago

Canada's reopening plans could be hindered as thousands of border officers gird themselves for possible strike action.

The two unions representing more than 8,500 Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) employees announced this morning that the majority of their members have given them a strike mandate.

That means they could begin strike action as soon as Aug. 6, mere days before Canada reopens the border to fully vaccinated U.S. residents, said the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) and the Customs and Immigration Union (CIU) in a news release.

Many border workers would be deemed essential — but the union said strike action could slow down commercial traffic at the border and ports of entry, hit international mail and parcel deliveries from Canada Post and other major shipping companies, and disrupt the collection of duties and taxes on goods entering Canada.

The unions' members — who have been without a contract since June 2018 — include border service officers at airports, land entry points, marine ports and commercial ports of entry, inland enforcement officers, intelligence officers, investigators, trade officers, hearings officers and non-uniformed members.

Their essential services agreement permits 2,600 members to take full strike action, while essential workers can take work-to-rule actions in their workplace.

Window to avert strike 'quickly closing'

The unions have been fighting primarily for three things: salary parity with other law enforcement workers in Canada; better protections against harassment and discrimination; and a remote work policy for non-uniformed members.  

"Truth be told, the CBSA is a problematic place to work," Mark Weber, national president of the Customs and Immigration Union, told a news conference Tuesday.

The union said a number of troubling cases have been forwarded to it over the past few years — including a report of a male supervisor physically assaulting a female officer in front of several witnesses without repercussions and another report of a manager forcing officers to conduct an illegal strip search of a bus full of students.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:41 PM, UpperDeck said:

One other question of the cogniscenti ( IFG?)...

If 10% of the population is vulnerable to Covid and the (a) vaccine is 90% effective, is it the same 10% who are at risk?

It seems as though it is acknowledged that if you have a " breakthrough" infection, the likelihood of serious illness is greatly diminished but it seems to me that we are collectively striving to protect that 10% without any real understanding of the genetic fingerprint of that 10%.

Hi, UD - Not sure about cognoscenti :Scratch-Head:, and following is just rambling of this interested layman (very much IMVHO!)

I'm not quite sure what the 10% cohort is that you are asking about. It seems to be generally agreed that the mRNA vaccines are 90%ish effective (certainly against earlier variants, and against delta at least for hospitalizations/deaths, other vaccines not all that far off). As I understand it, that means that randomly 90% fewer of vaccinated population, would likely be infected. i.e. proportionately 90% fewer vacc'd oldies, 90% fewer vacc'd genZers than unvaccinated. I haven't seen anything suggesting the efficacy is variable between groups, or that the 10% breakthrough will come from a specific cohort.

e.g.: (Plugging in #'s for illustration) Last year, picking a 10% infection rate, a random population of 1000 would have had 100 infections. With a 90% effective vaccine this year (this is very high in the world of vaccination BTW), and say an 80% uptake, the unvaccinated cohort show 20 infections, the vaccinated only 8 (their 'share' of 80, -90%). 

Two things follow.. 1- Of new infections, headlines scream that about 30% are "breakthrough"!! and 2- Almost none of the 8 show up at hospitals.

The first is simple and predictable arithmetic. The second gets overrun by the first.

Press coverage is frustratingly innumerate. I don't traffic in gratuitous hatred for journos (too much printers ink in my bloodstream), but lets agree that they are certainly no better than pilots or lawyers in that regard :whistling:.

IAC, In the real world, as new variants develop, transmissibility, severity, efficacy may all vary, fer us or agin us, but throughout, the case for high vacc uptake is compelling.

I don't know if any of that nibbles at a relevant response :)

Cheers, IFG :b:

• Like 1

The question of the "efficacy" of the Delta variant and its rapid spread including breakthrough infections, was explained by Dr. Fauci on MSNBCs "All In", hosted by Chris Hayes. Link, in one-minute increments, (courtesy the "Internet Archive"), at time 17:55):

https://archive.org/details/MSNBCW_20210728_000000_All_In_With_Chris_Hayes/start/3420/end/3480

& Transcript, courtesy MSNBC, https://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/transcript-all-chris-hayes-7-27-21-n1275256:

HAYES: So, once again, Centers for Disease Control has changed its guidance on masks and COVID. The CDC now says announcing today, all Americans, including those who are fully vaccinated should wear a mask inside of areas with high transmission of the virus, which according to the CDC community transmission map, which highlights areas of high transmission red, appears to be a whole big swath of the country.

To help explain this change in policy, I`m joined by Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Chief Medical adviser to President Joe Biden.

Dr. Fauci, Dr. Walensky was saying that at the announcement today that this was based on data they`ve been collecting sort of in real-time about Delta variant transmission. So, what`s the data? And what about the data pushes towards this is the policy recommendation?

[20:55:05]

DR. ANTHONY FAUCI, DIRECTOR, NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES: OK, there are two aspects, Chris. One, we know that the Delta variant is considerably more efficient in transmitting from person to person than the original Alpha variant that we have been dealing with, number one.

The Delta variant is the totally dominant variant now in this country, more than 80 85 percent, and in some regions it`s 90 plus percent.

But even more importantly, it is clear now, that when there are breakthrough infections, namely people who are vaccinated, but still get infected with the Delta variant, which happens because no vaccine is 100 percent, effective. We`ve learned clearly now without a doubt, that people who are vaccinated get a breakthrough infection actually have enough virus in their nasal pharynx, that they can actually transmit it to other people, and have documented transmitted to other people.

So, because of that, the virus has really changed. And that has really triggered the change in the CDC guidelines.

So, right now, the way you correctly said, that even if you are vaccinated, you need to wear a mask in indoor public settings in the areas that have a high degree of transmissibility, namely the orange and red areas of the CDC designation.

HAYES: So, when we spoke about the decision by the CDC to say you didn`t have to mask indoors if you were vaccinated, the key driver there was data about virus transmission amongst those who was vaccinated and you were on the program and there was a little bit of a question. We knew that in -- the in the testing for the clinical trials in a real-world testing, this was doing a very good job of preventing severe illness and hospitalization. There was more question about whether you had viral load to transmit.

The data came back saying you don`t really and that it`s OK to be indoors. Now, I -- so, I guess the data is just different with Delta. But do you understand why people might feel a little whipsawed between the last announcement and this one?

FAUCI: Yes, it`s thoroughly understandable. But there really is a pretty clear explanation of it. And here are the data. When you go back 60 days of the two months ago, when you look at the level of virus in the nasal pharynx of a person who`s vaccinated and gets a breakthrough infection, it was considerably less than the level of virus in the nasal pharynx of an unvaccinated person, the data were clear.

Now, that we have a Delta variant, that has changed the entire landscape. Because when you look at the level of virus in the nasal pharynx of a vaccinated person who gets a breakthrough infection with Delta, it is exactly the same as the level of virus in a unvaccinated person who`s infected. That`s the problem.

So, those data are very compelling. And that triggered the change in the CDC guideline.

HAYES: That is fascinating to me, because I know, basically nothing about medicine. But I guess my intuition would be that the viral load would correlate to severity of illness. And what I`m hearing from you is that like, you`ve got a situation in which Delta is producing a higher viral load and higher viral load shedding by orders of magnitude of the data we have is to be believed, and yet, not leading to severe illness in the way that you would fear, right?

FAUCI: Right.

HAYES: That the big fear was that you`d have -- that it would essentially evade the vaccine.

FAUCI: Right, Chris, you nailed it, because that`s exactly what it is. That the antibody response, the immune response that your body makes, that needs to block virus in the upper airway needs to be much more powerful than the immune response that protects your lungs.

In other words, you need a lower level of protection, the lung is more easily protected then the upper airway. We know that from animal studies, it`s very, very clear.

HAYES: So, I guess the last point here is, do you feel like you should -- there`s a kind of meta communicative point to make here, which is, this stuff`s going to change. Like, this is a fairly dynamic situation and is going to continue to be where not -- it`s not like we`re going to just kind of turn the page on coronavirus, because there might be new variants and there might be different seasonalities and just, you know, that`s going to be part of life.

FAUCI: Well, Chris, it doesn`t have to be. If the overwhelming majority of the people in this country get vaccinated, we could nail this down by just crushing it.

The problem we have, Chris, that you and I have discussed multiple times on your program, right now, we have a hundred million people in the United States who are eligible who are not getting vaccinated. That`s the problem.

[21:00:10]

HAYES: Yes, look at Vermont where they are at 85 plus percent I think and they have crushed this thing, that could be all of us.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, as always, thank you, Sir. Appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

Canada not among countries exempt from quarantine for travel into England and Scotland

Vaccinated travellers from many European countries and U.S. will not have to quarantine upon arrival

The government of the United Kingdom and the government of Scotland announced today that travellers to England and Scotland who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 in the European Union or United States will be exempt from mandatory quarantine upon arrival — but fully vaccinated travellers from Canada will still have to undergo quarantine.

Cited the success of the vaccine rollout in the U.S. and EU as a reason for the decision

8 hours ago, J.O. said:

Seriously? Sorry, but my BS-o-meter needle just hit 11.

Suckhole early, avoid the rush! Get the BIG bucks rolling back into the uk(small case intentional!!)

BoJo does it again.......................

Covid: Sydney extends lockdown as other Australian cities reopen

Published
29 minutes ago
Related Topics
IMAGE COPYRIGHTEPA
image captionSydney has already been in lockdown for five weeks

Sydney's lockdown has been extended by another month as Covid cases continue to rise.

Australia's largest city has been under stay-at-home orders since late June due to an outbreak of the Delta variant.

More than 2,500 people have been infected in Sydney's worst outbreak this year.

New South Wales - of which Sydney is the capital - reported 177 new cases on Wednesday, the most in a day since March 2020.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it was not possible for the city to exit lockdown on Friday as had been planned.

She announced further curbs on movement - including a 10km (6.5 miles) limit on essential shopping.

Victoria and South Australia both came out of lockdowns on Wednesday, after containing smaller outbreaks.

Sydney's five million residents had enjoyed a fairly normal lifestyle this year until the outbreak happened.

For most of the pandemic, Australia has kept infections relatively low by closing its borders and ordering hotel quarantine for arrivals.

State governments have plunged cities into rapid lockdowns to curb outbreaks, using aggressive contact tracing.

There have been over a dozen snap lockdowns in the past year.

But experts warn that restrictions in Sydney could last until September or even later.

Authorities say they cannot re-open until the transmission rate is back to near zero.

At least one in three cases from the past week had been infectious in the community. Reasons included undertaking critical work and grocery shopping.

The highly policed lockdown has fuelled discontent among some in the community.

Several thousand people staged "freedom" protests in Sydney, Melbourne and other cities on the weekend.

It has also highlighted the nation's bungled vaccine programme, which began in February.

Just 16% of Australia's adult population is vaccinated.

Critics have blamed the low rate on the federal government's failure to secure more supplies of the Pfizer vaccine.

They also attribute it to confidence in the AstraZeneca vaccine being undermined by mixed messaging about its rare blood clot risk.

The national regulator has recently updated its guidance to urge Sydney residents to get the AstraZeneca jab, of which Australia has a large supply.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison apologised for his government's handling of the rollout last week, following months of criticism.

???

Two travellers from U.S. fined $20,000 each for fake vaccination documents

Published Friday, July 30, 2021 2:21PM EDT

TORONTO -- Two travellers who arrived in Toronto from the United States have been fined for providing fake COVID-19 proof of vaccination documents and lying about pre-departure tests.

The Public Health Agency of Canada says the travellers also didn't comply with requirements to stay at a government-authorized hotel or to get tested upon arrival.

The agency says in a news release Friday that the travellers arrived last week and have been handed four fines totalling $19,720 each.

Canada eased quarantine requirements on July 5 for fully vaccinated Canadians and foreign nationals with an exemption to enter the country, but they must upload their proof of vaccination documents to the ArriveCAN app before entry.

Those who are not fully vaccinated are still required to stay for three days at a government-approved hotel, quarantine for 14 days and undergo tests pre-departure, post-arrival and eight days later.

The public health agency is warning that all travellers are obligated to answer questions truthfully and that providing false information or documents to government officials upon entry to Canada is a serious offence.

The agency says violating quarantine or isolation instructions when entering Canada could lead to a $5,000 fine for each day of non-compliance or each offence, or more serious penalties including six months in prison or $750,000 in fines.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 30, 2021.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kargokings said:

Canada eased quarantine requirements on July 5 for fully vaccinated Canadians and foreign nationals with an exemption to enter the country, but they must upload their proof of vaccination documents to the ArriveCAN app before entry.

Those who are not fully vaccinated are still required to stay for three days at a government-approved hotel, quarantine for 14 days and undergo tests pre-departure, post-arrival and eight days later.

I went through the Canadian Governments website today try to find out what we need to leave for Ireland on Sunday and return on Monday August 9.

I'm still working on it 8 hrs later.  (I'm actually it leaving for another go tomorrow.)

Our government is insane.

Edited by Specs

On 7/27/2021 at 10:27 PM, IFG said:

Press coverage is frustratingly innumerate. I don't traffic in gratuitous hatred for journos (too much printers ink in my bloodstream), but lets agree that they are certainly no better than pilots or lawyers in that regard :whistling:.

Lol... I'm sorry, but I have to throw this out there... Mr. IFG... I don't think I've ever told you how much I love your writing.. You make me smile every time you write, somehow. I can see your grins. I can hear your chuckles. ...and I feel like I can grok your point of view perfectly. ...at least until you frazzle me, that is. Then I'm lost. ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Specs said:

I went through the Canadian Governments website today try to find out what we need to leave for Ireland on Sunday and return on Monday August 9.

I'm still working on it 8 hrs later.  (I'm actually it leaving for another go tomorrow.)

Our government is insane.

Don't rely on the Canadian govn't website. The biggest issue is the EMU standard for full vaccination. If you're a hybrid....research that closely.  My understanding is that for entry to Ireland, you need 1) proof of full vaccination more than 14 days prior; or 2) negative 72 hour PCR....possible quarantine; or 3) evidence of recovery from  infection within 180 days.

Coming home...vaccination. At the least. I can't figure out whether you also ( still) need a 72 hour PCR if you're a citizen.

Great fun, no?

Doesn't matter what I've posted. Obviously, you will independently confirm but I do emphasize....go to the website of Ireland Tourism to get entry info; don't rely on Canada. After all...they told you that mixed vaccines were just fine...4 months apart!!

• Like 1

Forgive me but yet another editorial comment...

Within a thread called; "Travel in the pandemic", wouldn't it make sense to focus on the travails of travel? What is required of one to travel NOW to France or the Maldives or Dubai? Let's keep it updated-- a useful resource created by people who have gone through the process.

I may want to go to CDG in August. I know I can't get on the crew bus to the hotel....but what should I know about clearing in....what docs are required?

I already know that travellers will attempt to avoid restrictions....it's a common theme in the press ( damn typesetters)....but collectively as travellers, we are better-served by knowing what are those restrictions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

Forgive me but yet another editorial comment...

Within a thread called; "Travel in the pandemic", wouldn't it make sense to focus on the travails of travel? What is required of one to travel NOW to France or the Maldives or Dubai? Let's keep it updated-- a useful resource created by people who have gone through the process.

I may want to go to CDG in August. I know I can't get on the crew bus to the hotel....but what should I know about clearing in....what docs are required?

I already know that travellers will attempt to avoid restrictions....it's a common theme in the press ( damn typesetters)....but collectively as travellers, we are better-served by knowing what are those restrictions.

So why not start that topic, it does lie within your capability.   ?

15 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

...and I feel like I can grok your point of view perfectly. ...at least until you frazzle me, that is. Then I'm lost. ? 

You're way to kind Mitch, but the thought is mutual - & reciprocal!

14 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

But surely you must ask yourself; " Why does he ( presumptively) exclude AME's?

I think that lawyers have thick skin - and have behind me decades of dependence upon the goodwill of 'friendly' AME's ?

Cheers - IFG :b:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IFG said:

You're way to kind Mitch, but the thought is mutual - & reciprocal!

I think that lawyers have thick skin - and have behind me decades of dependence upon the goodwill of 'friendly' AME's ?

Cheers - IFG :b:

But...but.....You'd feign goodwill to ensure mechanical fitness? Surely you jest?

The premise was that pilots and lawyers shared a characteristic with "journos"; they were innumerate...lacking in fluency in the maths.

Thin or thick.....that HAS to cut the skin of many pilots who take pride in their calculation of many flight factors including how much per hour for each piece of equipment in which seat and what can be held.

As for lawyers....well, one might reasonably be deceived given the propensity of some to persist in the belief that between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, there are 12 billable hours.! ???

Seems like just yesterday that some folks were praising Florida for how they were handling the virus and wondering why we were so backward.  hmmmmm

Florida breaks record with more than 21,000 new COVID-19 cases

Published Saturday, July 31, 2021 4:50PM EDT 

CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA. -- Florida has reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state's highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic, according to federal health data released Saturday.

The state has become the new national epicentre for the virus, accounting for around a fifth of all new cases in the U.S.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has resisted mandatory mask mandates and vaccine requirements, and along with the Florida Legislature, has limited local officials' ability to impose measures meant to stop the spread of COVID-19.

The figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday showed how quickly the number of cases is rising in the Sunshine State. Only a day earlier, Florida reported 17,093 new daily cases.

The previous peak in Florida had been 19,334 cases reported on Jan. 7.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP's earlier story follows below.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld are the latest theme park resorts in Florida to again ask visitors to wear masks indoors, with Universal also ordering its employees to wear face coverings to protect against COVID-19, which has been surging across the state.

All workers at Universal's Florida park on Saturday started being required to wear masks while indoors as the employees returned to practicing social distancing. The home to Harry Potter and Despicable Me rides also asked visitors to follow federal and local health guidelines by voluntarily wearing face coverings indoors.

"The health and safety of our guests and team members is always our top priority," Universal said in a statement.

Health officials on Friday announced that coronavirus cases in Florida had jumped 50% over the past week with COVID-19 hospitalizations in the state nearing last year's peak.

SeaWorld on Saturday posted on its website that it was recommending that visitors follow recently updated federal recommendations and wear face coverings while indoors.

The change in policy this week at the theme park resorts came after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that everyone wear masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status.

Crosstown rival Walt Disney World started requiring employees and guests older than 2 to wear masks on Friday, but it also went a step further. The Walt Disney Company said in a statement that it will be requiring all salaried and non-union hourly employees in the U.S. who work on site to be fully vaccinated.

Disney employees who aren't already vaccinated will have 60 days to do so and those still working from home will need to show proof of vaccination before returning. Disney said it was discussing the vaccine requirements with the union, and added that all new hires will be required to be fully vaccinated before starting work at the company.

Florida’s COVID-19 hospitalizations surpass 10,200 setting pandemic record

By Mike Schneider  The Associated Press
Posted August 1, 2021 12:35 pm
Click to play video: 'Dr. Fauci says unvaccinated responsible for latest COVID-19 outbreak'

WATCH: Dr. Fauci says unvaccinated responsible for latest COVID-19 outbreak
  •  
A+

A day after it recorded the most new daily cases since the start of the hospitalizations, as the number of patients in hospitals because of COVID-19 once again broke through the 1,000-person threshold.

70c8fc80The Sunshine State had 10,207 people hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.

The previous record was from more than a year ago, July 23, 2020, more than a half-year before vaccinations started becoming widespread, when Florida had 10,170 hospitalizations, according to the Florida Hospital Association.

Florida is now leading the nation in per capita hospitalizations for COVID-19, as hospitals around the state report having to put emergency room visitors in beds in hallways and others document a noticeable drop in the age of patients

In the past week, Florida has averaged 1,525 adult hospitalizations a day, and 35 daily pediatric hospitalizations. Both are the highest per capita rate in the nation, according to Jason Salemi, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida.

cine incentive

Biden calls on states to offer $100 COVID-19 vaccine incentive

The hospitalizations and increasing cases have come as the new, more transmittable delta variant has spread throughout Florida, and residents have returned to pre-pandemic activities.

“The recent rise is both striking and not-at-all surprising,” Salemi said in an email late Saturday.

Federal health data released Saturday showed that Florida reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic. The latest numbers were recorded on Friday and released on Saturday on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. The figures show how quickly the number of cases is rising in the Sunshine State: only a day earlier, Florida reported 17,093 new daily cases.

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has resisted mandatory mask mandates and vaccine requirements, and along with the state Legislature, has limited local officials’ ability to impose restrictions meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. DeSantis on Friday barred school districts from requiring students to wear masks when classes resume next month.

Hospitals overwhelmed

Throughout Florida, from Jacksonville to Miami to Tampa, hospitals have become overwhelmed.

Barry Burton, the Pinellas County administrator, told the Tampa Bay Times that some local hospitals are already having to divert ambulances to different locations because of capacity concerns.

There has been a startling rise in the number of children with the virus at hospitals in Miami, many of them requiring intensive care.

Memorial Health’s Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood had seven patients with COVID-19. At Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami, there were 17 patients with COVID-19 on Friday, including six in the ICU and one who needed a ventilator, Dr. Marcos Mestre, vice president and chief medical officer, told the Miami Herald.

About half of the patients were under 12, Mestre said, and the rest were older and eligible for the vaccine. But none of the patients with COVID-19 at Nicklaus Children’s on Friday were vaccinated. Most children who get COVID-19 do not need hospitalization, Mestre said.

• Sad 1

If not the virus then Mother Nature still has a way of complicating flights.

40 flights cancelled at Kelowna International Airport due to a B.C. wildfire no-fly zone

Shelby_Thom.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1
By Shelby Thom  Global News
Posted August 2, 2021 10:57 am
 Updated August 2, 2021 10:58 am

The massive White Rock Lake wildfire burning in B.C.’s Southern Interior is wreaking havoc on operations at Kelowna International Airport (YLW) with at least 40 flights cancelled over the past 24 hours.

70c8fc80

Phillip Elchitz, senior airport operations manager, said the BC Wildfire Service increased the size of the no-fly zone in the vicinity of the wildfire on Sunday afternoon.

“The White Rock Lake fire boundary has moved east to Lake Okanagan with a no-fly zone up to 10,000 feet above sea level —  this is affecting the instrument approaches into the airport,” Elchitz said.

“As with any adverse weather situations, travellers are reminded to check in with their airline for the most up-to-date flight information before coming to the airport.”

Wildfires in the vicinity of #YLW causing flight delays or cancellations. Pls. contact your airline for more info. prior to coming to the airport if possible. https://t.co/2OqOhfd8X6

— Kelowna International Airport (@ylwkelowna) August 2, 2021

Elchitz said he expects most departures and arrivals scheduled for Monday will also be cancelled due to the dynamic situation.

“We expect the majority of the flights today to be cancelled and we encourage passengers to check the flight status of their flight,” he said.

White Rock Lake wildfire balloons to 20,000 hectares near Westwold

Stranded passengers have been struggling to find last-minute hotel accommodations during the August long weekend — the peak of the tourism season in the Okanagan.