Travel during the continuing PANDEMIC

Rowdy passengers ditch masks on Sunwing flight to Mexico

By Staff & Reuters | Posted January 4, 2022

A Sunwing Airlines Boeing 737-800 (C-FWGH) single-aisle jet airliner airborne after take-off from Vancouver International Airport, Richmond, BC on Thursday, January 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS IMAGES / Bayne Stanley

Canada’s minister of transport on Tuesday called for an investigation into reports of maskless, rowdy passengers on a recent airline flight, as the country battles soaring cases of COVID-19 .70c8fc80

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said on Twitter he had asked regulator Transport Canada to investigate media reports of passengers snapping selfies, drinking alcohol and congregating close together on a Sunwing Airlines flight.

The French-language Journal de Montreal said the Sunwing Airlines flight from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico, on Dec. 30 was chartered by a private group.

“I am aware of the reports of unacceptable behavior on a Sunwing flight,” Alghabra said in a tweet.

“We must take the risks of COVID seriously!”

Sunwing , a Toronto headquartered leisure operator, and Transport Canada were not immediately available for comment.

“This is unacceptable behavior from passengers that puts our cabin crew at enormous risk,” said Rena Kisfalvi, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) local which represents Sunwing flight attendants.

“We need the airlines and the federal government to support and protect our members against this kind of mob behavior and make sure it never happens again.”

A video circulating on social media from one of the passenger’s Instagram story showed un-masked passengers dancing, drinking and taking selfies on the flight.

Canada’s most populous provinces have closed in-school learning until Jan. 17, with hard-hit Quebec shuttering restaurant dining rooms and enacting a curfew from 10 pm to 5 am to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus and rising hospitalizations.

Reporting by Allison Lampert in Montreal Editing by Mark Potter

Montreal

Federal transport minister asks for investigation into Sunwing party flight to Mexico

Unmasked passengers appeared to be vaping, sharing bottle of vodka

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jan 04, 2022 6:29 PM ET | Last Updated: 31 minutes ago
According to reports, the Sunwing flight was a charter and some of the passengers were cast members of Quebec reality shows. (Christopher Katsarov/The Canadian Press)

Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says he has asked Transport Canada to investigate reports of "unacceptable'' behaviour on a recent Sunwing Airlines flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Videos of the Dec. 30 flight shared on social media appear to show passengers not wearing masks as they gather in close proximity, dancing in the aisle and on seats. In one video, a large bottle of vodka appears to be passed among passengers.

According to reports, the plane had been chartered and some of the passengers were cast members from Quebec reality television shows.

Alghabra said in a post on Twitter that the risks of COVID-19 need to be taken seriously.

Rena Kisfalvi, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees local that represents about 1,000 Sunwing flight attendants, also called the behaviour unacceptable.

In a statement, Sunwing says it notified Transport Canada about the behaviour and its security department is investigating. 

Saying that "the health and safety of our employees and passengers is our top priority," Sunwing said the passengers' behaviour as "unruly and contravened several Canadian Aviation Regulations as well as public health regulations."

It also said it set conditions for the group's return to Montreal Jan. 5 but that "unfortunately, the group did not accept all the terms." As a result, Sunwing has cancelled the flight home.

with files from Brennan Neill

18 hours ago, mo32a said:

So my test results from last Wednesday finally came back Saturday evening - positive.

No symptoms to speak of, a very mild cold, hanging around the house for a few days, l go for another test tomorrow.

I want to write to someone and complain but I've noted the deity never responds within my timeframe (life).

Notwithstanding Ontario's drastic response ( a little late?), I keep reading that essentially everyone can expect to be exposed to the virus and most will have no or minimal symptoms.

Glad to read you're a "minimalist", Mo and hope you recover fully soon, Leeroy.

I am reluctantly returning to Ontario on Monday with fingers crossed that I will have the PCR results in time. Here in Florida, the demand for tests is over-whelming and resulting in significant delays in analysis.

I'll be counting the days until my return to sunny skies and sand between my toes with fingers crossed that the US and Canada don't do anything silly with our border controls.

20 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I want to write to someone and complain but I've noted the deity never responds within my timeframe (life).

Notwithstanding Ontario's drastic response ( a little late?), I keep reading that essentially everyone can expect to be exposed to the virus and most will have no or minimal symptoms.

Glad to read you're a "minimalist", Mo and hope you recover fully soon, Leeroy.

I am reluctantly returning to Ontario on Monday with fingers crossed that I will have the PCR results in time. Here in Florida, the demand for tests is over-whelming and resulting in significant delays in analysis.

I'll be counting the days until my return to sunny skies and sand between my toes with fingers crossed that the US and Canada don't do anything silly with our border controls.

You are almost better off with a POSITIVE test result in hand. No further negative PCR test required for entry to Canada for days 10-180 following the positive test result date (effective January 15. Prior to that was 14-180 days).

5 hours ago, rudder said:

You are almost better off with a POSITIVE test result in hand. No further negative PCR test required for entry to Canada for days 10-180 following the positive test result date (effective January 15. Prior to that was 14-180 days).

I did not know that, thanks for the info.

Air Canada Vacations: Travel Advisory

TEMPORARY DESTINATION SUSPENSION

Link to Air Canada Vacations Travel Advisory🔗

January 5, 2022

In light of the current pandemic context, Air Canada will be suspending some flights to Sun destinations from January 24 until April 30, 2022.

Suspended destinations include Antigua, Aruba, Samaná, Curaçao, Exuma, Grenada, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Havana, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

To help ensure that Canadians are not stranded abroad, Air Canada plans to operate a number of one-way commercial flights from affected destinations in order to return customers at the suspended destinations to Canada.

Any travellers affected by the temporary suspension of the above listed destinations will be issued a full refund. Our team will be contacting any impacted customers and processing refunds in order of departure date. Eligible customers will receive an invoice as confirmation of their refund once it has been issued.

Please note that existing travel restrictions, including providing proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test result before boarding an international flight bound for Canada, are still in effect. It is your responsibility to ensure that you – and any child travelling with you – have all the valid travel documents required for re-entry into Canada. Please visit the Government of Canada website for more details.

Air Transat to deny boarding to passengers from Sunwing party flight to Mexico

2 hrs ago

Like35 Comments|

image.png.7bd92085706b3b91f7b5ffeb034b82d9.png

MONTREAL — Air Transat says passengers who were partying maskless on a recent Sunwing flight from Montreal to Mexico will not be allowed on its planes as they attempt to return to Canada.

%7B© Provided by The Canadian Press

The airline said on Twitter today the "disruptive passengers" from the Sunwing flight are trying to return home on Air Transat flights, but they will be denied boarding based on the company's obligation to ensure passenger and crew safety.

Videos of the Dec. 30 Sunwing private charter flight shared on social media show passengers not wearing masks as they gather in close proximity, drinking alcohol and vaping in the aisle and on seats.

Sunwing cancelled the group's return flight from Cancun scheduled for today, saying the unruly behaviour had contravened several Canadian Aviation Regulations as well as public health rules.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today called the passengers' conduct irresponsible and a "slap in the face" to everyone who has been following public health restrictions.

Transport Canada said Tuesday it was launching an investigation into the matter, with passengers who violated the department's regulations facing fines of up to $5,000 per offence.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on Jan. 5, 2022.

7 hours ago, rudder said:

Rudder.....essential info almost lost in the deluge of articles!😁

Can you expound? If I get tested on Saturday and get a positive result, I thought I couldn't get on the plane.

If I understand you correctly, 10 days after the positive test, I'm "good to go"?

So the requirement of a test being conducted within 72 hours of the flight is bypassed? And no quarantine on arrival?

Do you have a reference?

Thx bunches 

Three Canadian airlines refusing to board 'unruly' Quebec influencers returning from Mexico

WEB FINALS/Joe-Lofaro_bio.jpg

Joe LofaroCTVNewsMontreal.ca Digital Reporter

@giuseppelo Contact

Published Wednesday, January 5, 2022 4:36PM ESTLast Updated Wednesday, January 5, 2022 5:21PM EST

Multiple Canadian airlines say they will refuse to board a group of Quebec social media influencers and reality TV stars on their way back from Cancun who were seen partying maskless, vaping, and drinking in the aisles during their departure flight last week.

Video footage of the rowdy Dec. 30 flight on board a Sunwing Airlines chartered plane circulated widely online on Tuesday and has made national headlines — and even drew some harsh words from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Sunwing was the first airline to publicly say it will not let the “unruly” group of passengers board their planes after cancelling their return flight home, alleging in a statement sent to CTV News that the group “did not accept all of the terms” and conditions the airline said were necessary “to ensure the safety of the crew and passengers.”

Now, each person was left to try to book his or her own ticket home after their trip was scheduled to end on Wednesday. However, it appears that they will not have an easy time finding a flight. 

Later Wednesday morning, Air Transat followed suit and vowed to not board the people seen in the video as they try to head back home from their holiday in the popular sunset resort town of Tulum, Mexico.

Air Transat wrote on Twitter Wednesday that some members of the group tried to buy tickets with the airline, but are being denied.

The airline said “the safety of both our passengers and crew” is their “top priority.”

Hours later, Canada’s flag carrier said it was also blocking the passengers from boarding its planes.

In a statement to CTV News, Air Canada said, “With the information we currently have regarding the events that took place on the Sunwing flight, and to the extent that we can identify the passengers who were part of the group, Air Canada is denying boarding to ensure the safety of other passengers and its crew.”

'A SLAP IN THE FACE'

The airline trouble for the passengers comes after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned their behaviour on Wednesday, saying what they did on the plane was “completely irresponsible” and a “slap in the face” for those respecting public health guidelines.

The plane party is also the subject of at least two investigations -- one by Sunwing and the other by Transport Canada for possible violations of Canadian Aviation Regulations, which could bring fines of up to $5,000 per violation for the passengers. 

Sunwing has said it would cooperate with the federal government in its investigation, which is also looking into non-compliance with COVID-19 measures. 

Meanwhile, some of the 150 social media celebrities stranded in Mexico say the were unfairly blamed for the plane party. One of them, Isabelle Labrecque, told her followers in an Instagram Live video that "we were sleeping" and "we don't want to be bashed for things that we didn't do."

She also said "a minority" of the passengers were partying, while most were well-behaved. 

This is a developing story. More to come. 

• A passenger is shown holding empty mini-bottles of liquor, purchased during the flight.

21 minutes ago, boestar said:

no you need a negative test within the 72 hours prior to boarding

Don't think so, there is an option if you qualify

Who needs a pre-entry test?

All travellers 5 years of age or older:

You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago).

Airlines may refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result OR proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 7:33 PM, Kargokings said:

Montreal

Federal transport minister asks for investigation into Sunwing party flight to Mexico

Unmasked passengers appeared to be vaping, sharing bottle of vodka

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jan 04, 2022 6:29 PM ET | Last Updated: 31 minutes ago
According to reports, the Sunwing flight was a charter and some of the passengers were cast members of Quebec reality shows. (Christopher Katsarov/The Canadian Press)

Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says he has asked Transport Canada to investigate reports of "unacceptable'' behaviour on a recent Sunwing Airlines flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Videos of the Dec. 30 flight shared on social media appear to show passengers not wearing masks as they gather in close proximity, dancing in the aisle and on seats. In one video, a large bottle of vodka appears to be passed among passengers.

According to reports, the plane had been chartered and some of the passengers were cast members from Quebec reality television shows.

Alghabra said in a post on Twitter that the risks of COVID-19 need to be taken seriously.

Rena Kisfalvi, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees local that represents about 1,000 Sunwing flight attendants, also called the behaviour unacceptable.

In a statement, Sunwing says it notified Transport Canada about the behaviour and its security department is investigating. 

Saying that "the health and safety of our employees and passengers is our top priority," Sunwing said the passengers' behaviour as "unruly and contravened several Canadian Aviation Regulations as well as public health regulations."

It also said it set conditions for the group's return to Montreal Jan. 5 but that "unfortunately, the group did not accept all the terms." As a result, Sunwing has cancelled the flight home.

with files from Brennan Neill

There’s gotta be more to this story. My questions are…

1) If the passengers were really as unruly as the video depicts, why did the flight continue to its original destination? 

2) If the passengers were really as unruly as the video depicts, why weren’t they met by local authorities and made guests of the state during their stay in Mexico?

3) If the passengers were really as unruly as the video depicts, why on Earth would Sunwing even attempt to negotiate “terms” for their return flight?

🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pondering the airlines colluding to deny them transport home since WestJet and Air Canada had some issues years back after Air Canada denied transport to some disruptive transvestites who had been banned by WestJet and that violated their privacy somehow.

Edited by Super 80

5 hours ago, Super 80 said:

I'm pondering the airlines colluding to deny them transport home since WestJet and Air Canada had some issues years back after Air Canada denied transport to some disruptive transvestites who had been banned by WestJet and that violated their privacy somehow.

Did these, um, "transvestites" post their "transgressions" on social media for the world to see? Hardly collusion when the information is public knowledge.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/passengers-arrive-in-montreal-following-plane-party-controversy-involving-quebec-influencers-1.5728981 

Passengers arrive in Montreal following plane party controversy involving Quebec influencers

About a dozen passengers managed to arrive in Montreal Wednesday night from Mexico after video footage of their flight down south on Dec. 30 showed Quebec social media influencers and reality TV stars partying maskless, vaping, and drinking in the aisles on board a Sunwing Airlines plane. 

It was a scramble for many of them as multiple Canadian airlines said they refused to let them board their planes to return home after the controversial chartered flight made headlines around the world — and even drew some harsh words from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Media reports said at least one of the passengers from an Air Canada flight Wednesday night was handcuffed by border agents soon after arrival at the Montreal-Trudeau airport. Other passengers refused to answer any questions from journalists who were waiting for them outside the terminal. 

They were able to board the flight despite Air Canada releasing a statement earlier in the day that said it would block the passengers involved from boarding its planes.

The flag carrier said in a statement that, “With the information we currently have regarding the events that took place on the Sunwing flight, and to the extent that we can identify the passengers who were part of the group, Air Canada is denying boarding to ensure the safety of other passengers and its crew.”

Sunwing was the first airline to publicly say it will not let the “unruly” group of passengers board their planes after cancelling their return flight home, alleging in a statement sent to CTV News that the group “did not accept all of the terms” and conditions the airline said were necessary “to ensure the safety of the crew and passengers.”

Each person was left to try to book his or her own ticket home after their trip was scheduled to end on Wednesday. 

Later Wednesday morning, Air Transat followed suit and vowed to not board the people seen in the videos as they try to head back home from their holiday in the popular sunset resort town of Tulum, Mexico.

Air Transat wrote on Twitter Wednesday that some members of the group tried to buy tickets with the airline, but are being denied.

The airline said “the safety of both our passengers and crew” is their “top priority.”

PASSENGER ON FLIGHT TESTS POSITIVE IN MEXICO

Several of the people on the Dec. 30 flight were headed to Mexico for a New Year's Eve holiday and posted videos of themselves partying and drinking alcohol inside the plane. 

At least one of the passengers on that flight says she has tested positive for COVID-19 and worries there could be about dozens of more positive cases among the group. 

An emotional Rebecca St. Pierre, 19, from Trois-Rivières, Que., told The Canadian Press that she is now stranded in Tulum and believes the organizer, James William Awad, has "simply abandoned everyone."

Awad said in a tweet that he intends to make a statement Thursday morning to address the situation. 

Meanwhile, St. Pierre said she doesn't know how she's going to pay for her hotel room where she has remained in isolation since testing positive on Wednesday. 

She won the trip in a contest on Instagram and while she was looking forward to a week of "mindfulness" it has now turned into a troubling and expensive ordeal.

The videos floating on social media painted an accurate picture of what actually happened on the flight, according to St. Pierre, who acknowledged that there was no social distancing and believed some of the passengers were taking drugs. 

On Wednesday, screenshots of messages exchanged between the passengers suggested that some were told to place Vaseline in their noses prior to their return flight home in an attempt to thwart COVID-19 testing. St. Pierre told The Canadian Press that some passengers, in fact, did this.

'A SLAP IN THE FACE'

The airline trouble for the passengers comes after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned their behaviour on Wednesday, saying what they did on the plane was “completely irresponsible” and a “slap in the face” for those respecting public health guidelines.

The plane party is also the subject of at least two investigations -- one by Sunwing and the other by Transport Canada for possible violations of Canadian Aviation Regulations, which could bring fines of up to $5,000 per violation for the passengers. 

Sunwing has said it would cooperate with the federal government in its investigation, which is also looking into non-compliance with COVID-19 measures. 

Meanwhile, some of the 150 social media celebrities stranded in Mexico say the were unfairly blamed for the plane party. One of them, Isabelle Labrecque, told her followers in an Instagram Live video that "we were sleeping" and "we don't want to be bashed for things that we didn't do."

She also said "a minority" of the passengers were partying, while most were well-behaved. 

With files from The Canadian Press and CTV's Selena Ross. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, UpperDeck said:

Rudder.....essential info almost lost in the deluge of articles!😁

Can you expound? If I get tested on Saturday and get a positive result, I thought I couldn't get on the plane.

If I understand you correctly, 10 days after the positive test, I'm "good to go"?

So the requirement of a test being conducted within 72 hours of the flight is bypassed? And no quarantine on arrival?

Do you have a reference?

Thx bunches 

@UpperDeck

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 15-11-45 COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel g[...].png

Edited by moeman

Hating Sunwing's Cancun 'idiots' only distracts from bigger screw-ups right here 

Don't let the party plane distract you from closed schools, pitiful testing capacity, health-care systems so under-resourced they’re overwhelmed just by projections of spikes in hospitalization.

planeload of Quebec reality TV contestants, influencers and other young folks with modern job descriptions piled off a boozy chartered Sunwing jet in Cancun on Dec. 30 and landed straight in another reality show: Enemies of the People 2. It’s running on every network, like a telethon. It’s a bit like Orwell’s Two Minutes Hate, but on the Mayan Riviera.

The first season, which premiered almost exactly a year ago, starred soon-to-be-ex-Ontario finance minister Rod Phillips, who was busted hiding out in St. Barts. The cast was then joined by anyone who travelled internationally for any reason at all. The federal government locked all these deplorables up in terribly managed “quarantine hotels” at outrageous expense, and many of us cheered, demanding ever more inconvenience and expense. Patriots don’t travel during a pandemic, damn it! Governments loved it.

This second season is bigger, brasher and younger. There are potentially dozens of villains: Videos from onboard the Sunwing flight showed a large group of twenty-somethings passing around a bottle of vodka, carousing and singing maskless in the aisle, and in at least one case puffing on an e-cigarette, all in flamboyant violation of the laws of the sky. Follow-up stories suggest some on the trip, which was organized by a very dodgy-sounding Montreal company, tried to cheat on their pre-return PCR tests by jamming Vaseline up their noses. (This doesn’t work, according to Quebec’s Ministry of Health.)

On Wednesday Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the travellers “idiots.” No fewer than three federal ministers — health, transport and public safety — are demanding investigations from their departments, with Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos vowing “passengers … will be held accountable for their actions.” (There was a time when it was considered bad form for a minister to demand authorities pursue legal investigations or charges or fines — in this case, up to $5,000 per offence for passengers — but that principle seems to be losing currency in modern Ottawa.)

If the federal government had properly been held to account for its pathetic performance at the border, Duclos would by rights be afraid even to mention the word “fines.” Auditor-General Karen Hogan recently reported that Ottawa has absolutely no idea what happened to 60 per cent of the charges previously laid for border-related infractions. Famously, the feds allowed international flights to land in Calgary despite having no agreement with Alberta to have local police lay border-related charges at all. So people just waltzed out of the airport as the pleased, and why wouldn’t they?

But the federal government hasn’t been properly held to account for any of that. So it manages to get away with this ridiculously transparent diversionary tactic. Judging by reactions on social media, where Canadians have gleefully been mapping out the influencers’ bus trips home and otherwise wishing them ill, we’re all falling for it hook line and sinker. Again.

The passengers clearly broke all manner of rules; it would not be unfair to punish them. But however hard the Sunwing flight crew might have tried to stop them, it didn’t take the not-at-all-uncommon step of diverting the flight or returning to Montreal to jettison the non-compliant. (If you ever assumed charter flights operated according to the same rules as regular flights, consider yourself disabused of that notion. It’s a whole different world.)

In any event, the sort of revelry that went on on that flight goes on in Canada every day: In private homes and cottages and ski chalets, in university student housing, and in bars and restaurants where they are still allowed to operate. The influencers haven’t actually done anything to make the rest of us any less safe than any other mid-pandemic revellers. The only reason politicians have latched on to this crew so firmly is because (a) we know about them and (b) they’re easy to hate.

We all need distractions nowadays, goodness knows. So by all means rage at the influencers if it makes you feel better. But for heaven’s sake don’t let it distract you from the systemic failures that are increasingly afflicting Canadians more than most other countries: closed schools, pitiful testing capacity, health-care systems so under-resourced that they’re brought to their knees just by projections of spikes in hospitalization.

You might also try a bit of understanding too, of course. A bunch of kids got drunk and made merry. This is of no significant consequence. There is no papering over the divide between vaccinated and unvaccinated Canadians: it is understandable that the former are exasperated with the latter, because they really are an outsized burden on Canada’s hospitals. But we don’t need more division than we already have — especially when it’s so obviously designed to keep our minds off bigger, tougher questions.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-hating-sunwings-cancun-idiots-only-distracts-from-bigger-screw-ups-right-here?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0pUPlXn3ITrfvp_8hhGGzSuvMV7-dfyLEzHQd6FJH5731e_V161xIrWJ8#Echobox=1641517207

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, moeman said:

Found that Moeman but I very much appreciate you taking the time to "retrieve and post". I'll be damned if I can figure out the rationale given the high number of re-infections. I assume (never do that) the explanation relates to the period of time one would test positive even though fully recovered.

Omicron: Huge number of Covid cases on second Italy-India flight say Indian officials

Published
1 hour ago