Showdown at the ATL corral

Defending their turf.....Nothing wrong with that, all is fair in business and war.... Although it is sometimes difficult to determine which is which.  :021:

What did they expect? Here we are, give us the gate.

As much as I wouldn't dispute "defending turf", I doubt that is the case here. The gate was in use. End of story.

Typical Gulf attitude is the only problem. Entitled. Spoiled. Might as well take our women while they are here...

Sounds like they were accommodated off gate quite quickly anyway... I can't count how many times I've been off gate while operating scheduled flights into and out of major international airports... there wasn't an international incident over it. 

I almost prefer off gate if the weather is nice vs. single gate operations... out the front, out the back, gets me on the bus to the hotel sooner...

From what I've read Qatar were to start June 1st with twice daily 777-200 Doha-Atlanta but I guess they showed up with a bigger plane for the first flight. Not exactly a well thought out plan by these people considering how Delta feels about them and the other Middle East carriers. 

From what I have read. 

QR were assigned gate F7 which can handle 777 or 747 but not the A380. 

ATL A380 gate is E3, however with the A380 configuration gates E1 E5 and E7 are blocked. This would mean DL would have to pull 4 international narrowbody flights onto other gates to accommodate the QR A380. 

QR gave ATL one months notice they would send the A380 instead of the 77L on the inaugural flight. 

My question: what was the response from ATL. I would have to believe that ATL airport told QR there was no gate available, but they could go to a remote stand and be bussed in from their. ATL did seem to have enough staff to operate the busses for when QR arrived. Did QR staff know they would be sent to remote stand but did not tell His Eminence about the arrival plan?

I changed my mind. QR did this whole thing on purpose, They were told there'd be no gate. They played it this way so Al Baker can take another swing at Delta's CEO.

Archived