It's a boat, it's a plane......

blues deville

• 4 weeks later...

The Russians have attempted to copy many popular western civil and military aircraft but never seem to get it right. A friend of mine who took the first Dash8 to the Paris Airshow in 1984 told me how some Russian delegates took photos of every square inch of the new dehavilland airplane.

Another time in LCA (Larnaca) parking next to an IL-86, I asked a nearby Aeroflot rep if I could have look inside. First thing, the airplane looks like a DC8 had a one nighter with an A310. I boarded through a built-in staircase which came up through the baggage hold to the main cabin deck like walking into a cruise ship. The flight deck was older looking than the exterior appearance with a technology perhaps restricted because they couldn't quite copy the "inside" of their western looking airliners. Huge knobs for radios about the size of a rudder trim switch. Airspeed indicators with big gaps between numbers....0 then 100. In meters. And lots of crew seats. I think I counted 5 crew positions. And of course, the dashboard fans. Seems to be standard gear for their planes. 

image.jpeg

Both the Russians and the Chinese seem to lack the capacity for innovation; they have always been and remain 'copycats'. It's a practice that appears most noticeable in their aviation projects, but probably extends into every other area of technical development too? 

Archived