Air Canada Express ? The Slow Death Of Jazz

wizard

I remember when Air Canada had what they want again. Prior to CCAA they had Air BC, Canadian Reg, Air Ont, Air Nova. Which was a true split up regional operation and sold it off. Robert Milton s brain child Jazz was created. They are now creating Sky Regional who they have more control with cost and the only employees at SKY will be Pilots and FA's and this will bust the unions at Jazz and shrinking Jazz because of cost and lack of control due to ownership and the tier 3's and branded them all Air Canada express. What will they do next - New uniforms because they don't want the jazz brand and will no doubt come out with uniforms that just simply say express. Will Porter be bought and also placed in this group to also fill the gaps left with the shrinking of the Jazz brand were in 2020 will no longer have a cpa with Air Canada. Just my thoughts for the day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rozar s'macco

Kill Jazz and give Sky Regional the monopoly Jazz formerly had? Doubtful. I see a place over the very long term for two- or more- CPA carriers so that there is some competiton and pricing leverage for AC not only within the regional ranks but also between ACPA and the regional pilots. ACPA fights for scope at the regional level and now at the vacation business, which drives down pilot costs at mainline, and then multiple CPA carriers fight over the remaining work. This will be in place forever.

You're either hilarious or not very bright

And you know the fine details of all of the corporate machinations, right? You're one of those very, very few who are not only serious and smart but also well-informed and willing to share their knowledge regardless of whether or not asked.

And you only post---a post ripe with condescension--- when someone who has contributed to this forum "forever" has the temerity to express an opinion that is not in accord with either your opinion or the undisclosed facts known only to a privileged few----such as yourself.

And you know the fine details of all of the corporate machinations, right? You're one of those very, very few who are not only serious and smart but also well-informed and willing to share their knowledge regardless of whether or not asked.

And you only post---a post ripe with condescension--- when someone who has contributed to this forum "forever" has the temerity to express an opinion that is not in accord with either your opinion or the undisclosed facts known only to a privileged few----such as yourself.

UpperDeck, let's be serious here. If anybody thinks Sky Regional is not a threat to Jazz, they are delusional. It's like saying just a couple of years ago that any of the newer regional startups in the US weren't a threat to Comair. This isn't comparing the quality of the operation or anything of that sort, but rather the fact that a company like Air Canada would rather spend less money for their regional affiliates, and Sky Regional can simply do the exact same job (flying airplanes from A to B) for less money than Jazz. As such, Sky Regional is definitely a huge threat to Jazz.

Having said that, perhaps I was a tad rude to Defcon and for that I apologize :)

I would add that ANYONE who is trying to eat your lunch, big or small, is considered a threat for me. WJA started with what, 3 dinojets ? And look at them now.

Air Canada is losing the war one battle at a time and JAZZ is just on the wrong side of the fence. I always considered JAZZ as the solution, not the problem. With our actual CA, we could fly airplaines about 3 times bigger than we fly now, for the same price. We have been painted in the corner by AC with an expensive CPA contract, shareholders that coudn't care less about long term investment and a management team not even able to MANAGE a CPA properly.

I don't know what the future holds for Jazz, but one thing for sure: Status quo is not an option. Adapt or become extinct. The biggest threat right now for Jazz is in his own house: shareholders AND management. It is up to them to plan a viable solution for the future. But, i have zero confidence in both. Fortunately , i am a highly trained device with transferable skills so, i am not worried about MY future.... That said, we, working bees at Jazz, have faith that the logical outcome will be a better company to work for. But who am i trying to predict the future :whistling:

Bean

Comair was an American carrier. As much as it's all the same, Canada's quite a different market.

Air Canada is following the lead of the American carriers. Again, not sure why anybody wouldn't think that Sky Regional is not a threat to Jazz. The mere fact that Sky Regional was awarded the 15 Embraer 175's instead of Jazz is telling. It's not about how well somebody can do the work anymore, it's about how cheaply it can be done. Sad but true.

B)....? Really?

Finally, in case you missed it, a bit of regional airline history was made Saturday, when Comair flew its last flight.

Comair’s final flight was operated from Minneapolis to Jacksonville on Saturday.

At its height, Comair employed nearly 7,000 pilots, flight attendants and support personnel nationwide. The last flight came some 35 years after Ray Mueller and his son, David, founded the airline. Comair's remaining 1700 employees will be layed off.

Comair's 16 50-seat regional jets will be retired, while the rest of its jets are being leased to other Delta Connection carriers.

Bean, yeah I heard the news, mine complaint was with your use of the "cool" icon at the end of your post about the final Comair flight. I hope that this was an inadvertent addition to your post and not an intentional bit of disrespect. Maybe you meant to use this one instead ? - :(

Bean

Comair was an American carrier. As much as it's all the same, Canada's quite a different market.

I recall someone saying the same thing when comparing what Westjet was doing to what Southwest was doing south of the border. Something about that it would never work in Canada. I think we know how that one turned out. We like to think we're unique, but we're not.

For the record, he uses it at the end of every post, so as much as it may seem insensitive, it's just his signature - probably 'cause he's living the sweet life of (semi) retirement.

Nope, seems to be about 50% of the time - some have nothing, some have a different winky icon and some have the "cool". The "cool", in this case, seems inappropriate. If that is his standard signature, maybe it needs to be changed - wouldn't sign a sympathy card with "Cheers!" even if that was your regular signature, would you?

Question?

Suppose Jazz told AC to go pound sand and hooked up with Transat for an all Canadian option to AC or even hooked up with BA or AA? Where would AC be without the Jazz feed?

just a thought

Question?

Suppose Jazz told AC to go pound sand and hooked up with Transat for an all Canadian option to AC or even hooked up with BA or AA? Where would AC be without the Jazz feed?

just a thought

Simple answer ?

Jazz signed a contract with the devil: How can you get out of this AND still be alive ? If you have the answer, you're a winner :Dancing-Chilli:

Question?

just a thought

Jazz would not have many airplanes to fly.

AC owns most of them.

Nope, seems to be about 50% of the time - some have nothing, some have a different winky icon and some have the "cool". The "cool", in this case, seems inappropriate. If that is his standard signature, maybe it needs to be changed - wouldn't sign a sympathy card with "Cheers!" even if that was your regular signature, would you?

You're looking for bones in ice cream.....

B)

Archived