NewAir and Tours

Guest James

Guest rattler

They ae moving ahead.

Order No. 2008-A-415

October 10, 2008

IN THE MATTER OF an application for an exemption from section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, to permit 1263343 Alberta Inc. carrying on business as NewAir & Tours to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada a domestic service, large aircraft, in the absence of a licence.

File No. M4210/N300-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1263343 Alberta Inc. carrying on business as NewAir & Tours (the applicant) has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (the Agency) for the exemption set out in the title. The application was complete on September 25, 2008.

Section 59 of the Canada Transportation Act (hereinafter the CTA) states that no person shall sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada an air service unless, if required under Part II of the CTA, a person holds a licence issued under that part and that licence is not suspended. The applicant has applied for a licence to operate a domestic service, large aircraft. However, as the application is not yet complete, an exemption from the application of section 59 of the CTA is necessary in order to allow the applicant to sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada the proposed air service prior to obtaining the applied for licence.

The applicant submits that it has been approached by a major oilsands developer to provide its construction workers with regular air transportation between various points in Canada and its worksite near Fort McMurray, Alberta. The applicant proposes to enter into an agreement with the developer as soon as possible, for the provision of such services.

The applicant states that to ensure the viability of the air service, it must be able to begin selling it at the earliest possible date. The agreement would provide much needed financial stability to the applicant’s developing operation and would mitigate the risks associated with its business plan. The applicant also submits that if it was required to wait until it obtains the licence before proceeding, it may lose the important business opportunity potentially secured by the agreement.

The Agency has carefully reviewed and considered the application and is of the opinion that in order for the proposed service to be viable, the applicant must be able to offer the applied for domestic service for sale at the earliest possible date. Therefore, the Agency finds that compliance by the applicant with section 59 of the CTA is impractical in the present circumstances.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)© of the CTA, hereby exempts the applicant from the application of section 59 of the CTA, solely for the purpose of the applicant entering into the proposed agreement with the above noted developer with respect to a domestic service, large aircraft, effective from the date of this Order, without holding the required licence, subject to the following conditions:

1. The exemption authorized herein does not relieve the applicant from the requirement to hold a licence in respect of the service to be provided and, accordingly, no flights shall be operated until the appropriate licence has been issued.

2. All revenues from the sale of a domestic service, large aircraft, shall be deposited and held in a trust account until the issuance of the licence or until alternative transportation arrangements are finalized.

The exemption granted herein does not exempt the applicant from the requirements of other legislative acts or regulations, including those of Transport Canada.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Presumeably hotel customers are called "guests" because they aren`t passengers while staying at the hotel, except of course, when they are riding the elevator or taking the shuttle. cool.gif

Do you write your own material? dry.gif

I have to laugh. The other day in YVR I was making reference to a MEL and said "passengers" to a couple of CSAs and they shot back in perfect unison, "you mean guests?".

It was kind of '1984' but I took it as lack of exposure to the tech. side of things. The PR version is guests, which I always use in communications to F/As, CSAs and of course, guests. laugh.gif

Guest rattler

I have to laugh. The other day in YVR I was making reference to a MEL and said "passengers" to a couple of CSAs and they shot back in perfect unison, "you mean guests?".

It was kind of '1984' but I took it as lack of exposure to the tech. side of things. The PR version is guests, which I always use in communications to F/As, CSAs and of course, guests.  laugh.gif

In reality, Westjet, unlike AC, uses the term "guests" throughout their official Domestic tariff that is filed with the CTA as well as their International / Transborder tariffs that are filed with the CTA and foreign governments. So there is legitimacy in their use of the term

http://www.westjet.com/pdffile/localDomesticTariff.pdf

Just curious..do you guys ever refer to the people you carry in the aircraft as "passengers" or "pax", when out of the public eye??

I have flown WJ and I have no beef other than this "Guest" thing. I just can't get my head around people paying to sit  in a "tube" being called "guests".

Let us pray you never have a bad incident but if you did, would the PR people put a release out saying X number of "guests" were Killed and "Y" number of "guests" were injured??

Is the word "guest" used in all correspondence, verbal/written/PAs etc??

Just me, I guess, a plain old "passenger". biggrin.gif

I just saw a billboard for British Airways today that stated something to the effect...

Upgrade to British Airways and get treated like a Guest instead of a passenger.

Willie must have picked up a few things from his visit to YYC last year.

I believe the manuals refer to Guests with the exception of the documents for US operations which reference passengers as the FAA wasn't able to wrap their heads around the Guest/Passenger thing.

I enjoy this guest/passenger controversay.

In my very old (1954) dictionary and a Websters (1962) both classified a passenger as : one who travels on a train , bus , boat etc for payment.

They also classified a guest as : person enertained at the home of another or a person paying for his lodgings, meals etc at a hotel or boardinghouse.

And yes I agree I have to update my dictionary and get with the times but I still prefer being called a passenger as that's what I am when I travel. To me being a guest means I don't pay for anything.

Whatever you like to call us we're all paying to have a seat on your aircraft.

I enjoy this guest/passenger controversay.

In my very old (1954) dictionary and a Websters (1962) both classified a passenger as : one who travels on a train , bus , boat etc for payment.

They also classified a guest as : person enertained at the home of another or a person paying for his lodgings, meals etc at a hotel or boardinghouse.

And yes I agree I have to update my dictionary and get with the times but I still prefer being called a passenger as that's what I am when I travel.  To me being a guest means I don't pay for anything.

Whatever you like to call us we're all paying to have a seat on your aircraft.

Guest:

Somebody who pays to use the facilities of a hotel, restaurant, or other establishment.

Passenger:

Somebody traveling in vehicle.

Actually, at other carriers, we called them critters, or S.O.B.'s.......(Souls on board)

It had been a long day the FA's were tired, as were all the crew....... a little old lady walked on our 310, (WD) held out her boarding pass and asked,

"where is my seat?"

The FA at the door, glanced at her boarding pass, pointed at the rear of the plane and said, "back there..in roach coach".................

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

guest /gɛst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gest] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a person who spends some time at another person's home in some social activity, as a visit, dinner, or party.

2. a person who receives the hospitality of a club, a city, or the like.

3. a person who patronizes a hotel, restaurant, etc., for the lodging, food, or entertainment it provides.

4. an often well-known person invited to participate or perform in a regular program, series, etc., as a substitute for a regular member or as a special attraction.

5. Zoology. an inquiline.

–verb (used with object) 6. to entertain as a guest.

–verb (used without object) 7. to be a guest; make an appearance as a guest: She's been guesting on all the TV talk shows.

–adjective 8. provided for or done by a guest: a guest towel; a guest column for a newspaper.

9. participating or performing as a guest: a guest conductor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; ME gest < ON gestr; r. OE gi(e)st; c. G Gast, Goth gasts, L hostis; cf. host1, host2]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

pas·sen·ger /ˈpæsəndʒər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pas-uhn-jer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a person who is traveling in an automobile, bus, train, airplane, or other conveyance, esp. one who is not the driver, pilot, or the like.

2. a wayfarer; traveler.

Come on now Mitch. It's Aye Caramba:

¡Ay, caramba! ¡Ay, caramba! (pronounced [ˈaj | ka.ˈɾam.ba]) (or Aye Carumba!) ; from Spanish ¡ay! (interjection denoting surprise, but also used instead of "ouch") and caramba, lace worn on the head, (euphemism for carajo, an exclamation of disgust in South America), from Caramba, nickname of María Antonia Fernández, music composer of the 18th century who wore that kind of laces; it is a frequently used phrase in the Latin American Spanish language. The phrase has been used by Bart Simpson on the long-running animated television series The Simpsons. Ay, caramba! was the first word spoken by Bart ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist tongue.gif

laugh.gif Alright, but isn't there a little Mexican mouse that makes it sound like Keelumba? icon_question.gif

tongue.gif

That would be Walt's Speedy Gonzales. He was saying " ¡Ay, caramba".....but to a guy who has listened to too many pistons and jet gizmos it may have sounded like ....."Keelumba" biggrin.giftongue.gif

etc.

Et cetera (in English contexts pronounced IPA: /ɛt ˈsɛtəɹə/) is a Latin expression that means "and other things", or "and so forth". It is taken directly from the Latin expression which literally means "and the rest (of such things)" and is a transliteration of the Greek "και έτερα" (ke etera; and the others). Et means "and"; cetera (plural of ceterum/caeterum) means "the rest".

The one-word spelling "etcetera" is commonly used, and is accepted as correct by many dictionaries. It is also sometimes spelled et caetera or et cætera, and is often abbreviated to etc.. Archaic abbreviations, most commonly used in legislation, notations for mathematics or qualifications, include &/c., &c., and &ca..

The phrase et cetera is often used to represent the logical continuation of some sort of series of descriptions. For example, in the following expression...

We will need a lot of fruit: apples, bananas, oranges, etc.

There, now we have confirmation that "guest" as defined by the Wikipedia dictionary has the catch-all "Etc." at the end. Therefore this undoubtedly will be the last word on the subject.

biggrin.gif

He came back on the bottom of the seniority list, which I'm ok with.

CC: You said that seniority means nothing. So why would you comment at all about where a person who quit fits onto your list? Seniority either means something or it does'nt. Which is it?

GTFA

I had a "guest" over to my place recently. I asked him to light the gas BBQ and he managed to become a "passenger".  blink.gif

Rich, I told you before. You have to stop using nitro-methane as lighter fluid! Hope he didn't get launched through the overhang on your deck! tongue.gif

Guest rattler

A name change and a change in timing of the starup

The latest charter airline venture by a group of former WestJet executives will fly under the moniker, Enerjet, the start-up airline said Monday.

The new airline spearheaded by Tim Morgan, the former founder and head operations for WestJet airlines, had been tentatively known as New Air and Tours.

But the Calgary-based airline, with its fleet Boeing 737-700s, says it now plans to begin offering charter operations throughout Canada at the beginning of next year under the Enerjet name and will become a full-blown tour operator in the third quarter of 2009, a full year later than originally anticipated. Enerjet has already been looking to begin flying charter flights to Alberta's oil sand fields, but no contracts have been signed yet.

"For the past 18 months NewAir and Tours has been the business planning brand for our project", Mr. Morgan, the president and CEO of Energjet said in a statement. "Going forward our new name, Enerjet, symbolizes Canada's strength and the entrepreneurial and dynamic drive of Canadians."

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=893438

Guest rozar s'macco

An oil-patch charter company eh. Wow, what a game-changer.

Despite the past enormous business successes of the founders, this one has the quiet "aircraft returned to lessors" press release pre-written and awaiting the dateline. At the end of the day, oil charter is a price business. You are not going to compete on service (in the passenger sense) in the hour-long stage length rig pig segment. wacko.gif

Archived