NewAir and Tours

Guest James

I'd really like to understand where you're coming from. You say you have no problem with a guy who didn't burn any bridges returning to the fold because the powers that be are OK with him, but a fellow that questioned the way WS does things, left, and wanted back would not be welcomed back by you. What, in your mind, makes one candidate more worthy than the other of your forgiving attitude?

I think it is pretty obvious.

One guy did things the right way. By not burning bridges it means he/she did things the right way and probably was respectful of the people and the process as he/she departed.

Past behavior is an indicator of future performance. Their past behavior would indicate that when they came back they would buy in to the program.

The person that flamed away as they left would not be welcome back because of their behavior on the way out.

WS is not for everyone and I don't think many would argue the point that it is better both for WS and the individual if the person leaves rather than stay and be unhappy.

Seems obvious to me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You couldn't be more wrong about me.

I'm actually disillussioned about the whole union thing. For a while I thought I could affect change within the union, back in the late '80's early 90's, but left soon after with a sour taste.

What I find particularly interesting is the internal, or should I say public, WS attitude about what constitutes an acceptable level of performance within the WS system. Your posts piqued my interest, that's all. It is a very interesting subject for someone who is not an insider.

I'm no hardcore unionist, trust me on that. I probably go about my day to day activities in a way that would make me a valued WS employee too, but unfortunately I could never buy into the system and would spend my entire time there holding my tongue. At AC I don' t subscribe to the unionists' view of all things bad about AC. I actually love my job and respect those for whom I work. I don't love my union.

WJ empowers their people to speak up, it's encouraged.

That's where we disagree, and I only disagree with you on the speaking out part because of the conversations I've had with many current and ex-WS employees. Those who aren't convinced about the WS way don't speak kindly about how WS reinforces the WS culture. Those who are deeply committed don't speak of it at all, and I know a few of both.

I actually envy you somewhat because when I joined AC in the early 80's we considered ourselves a family. I still feel that way, but unfortunately due to attrition and a merger we no longer have that many who still feel the same way.

I just don't know what to say Moe. What you hear from people just isn't the norm. Yes, there are some ex-employees who are bent out of shape for whatever reason, but I have to wonder what the circumstances are. For those who are still employed here have 2 options. Stay, enjoy the ride, or get out and go somewhere where you'll be happier. WJ isn't for everyone, just like AC isn't for everyone, just like Transat isn't for anyone... etc...

WJ has a great culture, and I'm happy to be a part of it. It's the first company I've ever worked for(and my resume is substantial, let me tell you) where the company gives a crap about the employees, who in turn, give a crap about the guests flying on 'their' airplane. WJ has given the average joe the power to make a decision on how best to handle a situation with a guest, instead of passing the buck to some operator in India. It's simple stuff. The sense of ownership we all have, whether my actual ownership may only amount to a single seat on 1 of our planes, it doesn't matter.

signed,

a believer.

PS, if you want to stay credible in my eyes, I'd appreciate it if you stopped making innuendos all the time and started giving some hard examples, and not just rumors either.

Just curious..do you guys ever refer to the people you carry in the aircraft as "passengers" or "pax", when out of the public eye??

I have flown WJ and I have no beef other than this "Guest" thing. I just can't get my head around people paying to sit in a "tube" being called "guests".

Let us pray you never have a bad incident but if you did, would the PR people put a release out saying X number of "guests" were Killed and "Y" number of "guests" were injured??

Is the word "guest" used in all correspondence, verbal/written/PAs etc??

Just me, I guess, a plain old "passenger". biggrin.gif

I don't refer to them as guests. I prefer to call them customers.. and I'll refer to them as passengers to friends who aren't familiar with airlines or the industry. Nobody calls our executives "Big Shots" anymore.. I'm sure we'll grow out of some of the other terms we use as well.

CC

I am hoping your comment about Air Transat is a typo!  If not well............

Regards,

60N30w

Transat is for everyone? I heard no. Just like Jazz isn't for everyone, just like water bombing isn't for everyone. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Oh, I suppose you're correcting me for saying Transat instead of Air Transat? Kinda petty isn't it? Were you confused about the point I was trying to make?

Just curious..do you guys ever refer to the people you carry in the aircraft as "passengers" or "pax", when out of the public eye??

I have flown WJ and I have no beef other than this "Guest" thing. I just can't get my head around people paying to sit in a "tube" being called "guests".

Let us pray you never have a bad incident but if you did, would the PR people put a release out saying X number of "guests" were Killed and "Y" number of "guests" were injured??

If your only beef is being referred to as a guest, then I'll rest easy we're doing a decent job. wink.gif

Looks like it is time for our bi-monthly "guest" discussion here on AEF. smile.gif

All internal communications refer to "guests." WS has Guest Services departments, not customer service. The executives and VP in charge of the teams have "guest" in their titles.

WS speaks of "guest count" not PAX internally in their communication.

I am assuming that when a restaurant gives you your guest check or a hotel gives you your guest folio you have the same level of consternation.

I disagree with CEh's assertion that we will "grow out" of certain terms. The termas are part of the culture - People Department instead of HR for example.

The "guest" question gets asked on this forum with amazing regularity. I fail to see why anyone has an issue with this.

When you stay at a hotel you are called and considered a guest and presumably you also pay for your stay how is this any different to WestJet calling you a guest and you having to pay for your ticket.

One of our founders was involved in the hotel industry prior to WestJet and my understanding is that is where the reference originated.

Hopefully this gets put to rest for another 3 months now. icon_head222[1].gificon_head222[1].gif

Transat is for everyone? I heard no. Just like Jazz isn't for everyone, just like water bombing isn't for everyone. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Oh, I suppose you're correcting me for saying Transat instead of Air Transat? Kinda petty isn't it? Were you confused about the point I was trying to make?

CC,

I don't have a problem and was not being petty about the Air Transat vs. Transat thing, not really a big issue for us.

My point and others seem to have seen it also is that you said in your post: "just like Transat isn't for anyone... etc..." I am wondering if that was a typo or do you have something against Air Transat/Transat?

Regards,

60N30W

I am assuming that when a restaurant gives you your guest check or a hotel gives you your guest folio you have the same level of consternation

"Consternation"????

Shorts a little tight?? Just asked a question....you keep writing like that and people are going to put you in the "kool-aid" group. wink.gif

I know most people involved in Newair...

Good luck, and in the words of Clive, if your not having fun.. Your fired.....

Take that for what it's worth, and good luck.

Archived