Global Warming ?

Kip Powick

This global warning thing is getting out of hand. I mean really, with the windchill today it was -36C in Dotland and in my mind that is truly indicative of the problem we have with this human generated over-heating issue.............record cold temps all over Ontario and parts of the NE States.

Maybe we Canadians are really not responsible for that 2% contribution to the world problem of Global warming after all....in fact I think it is more like 1.9568% today. user posted image

Arrrggghhh !!!user posted imagemore Shiraz!!!

Current temp -12C

Toronto Pearson Int'l Airport

Averages and Extremes for: February 6, 2007

Averages and Extremes Year

Average Maximum Temperature -2°C

Average Minimum Temperature -10.60°C

Frequency of Precipitation 41%

Highest Temperature (1938-2006) 9.40°C 1938

Lowest Temperature (1938-2006) -25°C 1967

Greatest Precipitation (1938-2006) 17.80mm 1964

Greatest Rainfall (1938-2006) 5.10mm 1943

Greatest Snowfall (1938-2006) 19.80cm 1964

Most Snow on the Ground (1955-2006) 43cm 1982

Golly I think we'll just ignore this particular dataset in developing our "scientific consensus of opinion" in support of our non-hidden non-agenda regarding climate change non-fearmongering.

Highest temp on record 1938....nearly 70 years ago! (also the first year on record)

i put global warming righ there with Y2K,SARS and bird flu.Lets give them something to talk about,or lets scare the crap outta them.Gotta sell papers.

oh and we were suppose to die from nuclear war not to long ago

I welcome global warming,at least righ t now in hog town

I believe Global Warming is a natural phenomenon which is exasperated by green-house gasses. Bottom line, were making it worse but it would still occur. That doesn’t mean we do nothing but it also doesn’t mean we should impede progress/industry in the name of Global warming. Do what we can as efficiently as we can to minimise the impact to our environment and the cost to our economy. Yes, a balanced approach! wink.gif

I believe Global Warming is a natural phenomenon which is exasperated by green-house gasses. Bottom line, were making it worse but it would still occur. That doesn’t mean we do nothing but it also doesn’t mean we should impede progress/industry in the name of Global warming. Do what we can as efficiently as we can to minimise the impact to our environment and the cost to our economy. Yes, a balanced approach! wink.gif

Exasperated? You got that right!! Imagine how exasperated is any half-way intelligent individual who reads some of these posts!!

Now---if you were thinking exacerbated...well, yes. You'd be right. Almost everything we do to increase and retain heat within the atmosphere contributes to the deterioration of our environment.

I'm not sure that ignorance is a disease and yet there seems to be so much evidence that it is communicable because of the number who share the malady!!

Nice Upper Deck. You put it quite clearly and concisely (didn't know your kind could do such a thing tongue.gif ), well done sir. (edited to add: referring to your first post in this thread cool.gif )

For anyone who might not be quite so damned certain it just ain't so as Prob30 seems to be: ...An Inconvenient Truth is a great documentary movie I think everyone should see to help get a better grasp on the effects of our actions on the state of our planet.

i put global warming righ there with Y2K,SARS and bird flu.Lets give them something to talk about,or lets scare the crap outta them.Gotta sell papers.

oh and we were suppose to die from nuclear war not to long ago

I welcome global warming,at least righ t now in hog town

Remember back about 1991 or so, the whole rage was how the Ozone layer was depleting and a big hole in it was discovered.

Media picked up on this one and well, Chicken Little was at it again.

I flew scientists and a bunch of equipment to the arctic to study this phenomenon.

Turns out Mother Nature is pretty clever after all, the hole in the ozone layer magically fixed itself.

I am not saying mankind is doing the environment any favours here, but not quite ready to park my SUV either.

When the likes of China and other big time polluters get serious then lets talk.

Exasperated? You got that right!! Imagine how exasperated is any half-way intelligent individual who reads some of these posts!!

Now---if you were thinking exacerbated...well, yes. You'd be right. Almost everything we do to increase and retain heat within the atmosphere contributes to the deterioration of our environment.

I'm not sure that ignorance is a disease and yet there seems to be so much evidence that it is communicable because of the number who share the malady!!

Yes, you are correct. I picked the wrong word. Thanks for your help. wink.gif

Funny how a spell checker won't help you when you spell the wrong word correctly. rolleyes.gif

Remember back about 1991 or so, the whole rage was how the Ozone layer was depleting and a big hole in it was discovered.

Media picked up on this one and well, Chicken Little was at it again.

I flew scientists and a bunch of equipment to the arctic to study this phenomenon.

Turns out Mother Nature is pretty clever after all, the hole in the ozone layer magically fixed itself.

I am not saying mankind is doing the environment any favours here, but not quite ready to park my SUV either.

When the likes of China and other big time polluters get serious then lets talk.

The Ozone layer is not repaired, but the hole is stabilizing over the long term. Full recovery of the Ozone layer is not expected unitl 2050s.

There was a significant increase in the Ozone layer for 2002-2003 winter, however subsequent analysis has resulted in the conclusion that 2002-2003 figures are anomoly. See the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depleti...ozone_depletion

China is NOT a big polluter of GHGs, they are however an emerging big polluter.

The biggest polluter of GHGs is the USA. Canada is spared the title only because of our small population. But on a per capita basis Canada is just as bad if not worse that USA.

To stop global warming Canadians need to stop trying to debate whether to implement Kyoto or consider an intensity based program. IMHO Canadians need to decide what is an acceptable implementation strategy at the grass roots level. I always find it interesting how Canadian Society is for Kyoto until is affects their everyday life. Some interesting observations from talking to people about GHGs.

1) People are onside until you ask them to change their driving. i.e. Get rid of the SUV or 15 year old car (an SUV and 15 year old car produce the same GHGs).

2) No one wants to enter into a program to reduce or limit the amount of car trips. But most people want to reduce the amount of car GHGs.

3) Renovating the house is a great idea until people learn that its more efficient doors, windows, siding, and roof rather than better fixtures, floors, and a coat of paint.

4) Everyone wants the Oil industry to get their act together, but they don't want to see a Nuke plant in YMM. I say a nuke plant is a great investment, plus it will reduce natural gas prices in 1/2 making it cheaper to heat our homes.

5) Nobody recognizes that the Airline Industry is one of the few industries with tangible results on reducing GHGs (new airplanes with 30% less fuel burn and more efficient technology is about to roll out). Yet everyone wants to tax the hell out of aviation fuel, tickets, etc.

"molecule for molecule, methane is about fifty times more effective at warming the planet. And while much of the global warming debate has focused on huge projects like developing cleaner methods of electricity generation or stopping deforestation, a big difference could come from relatively small sources of methane - like cows."

Guest rattler
"molecule for molecule, methane is about fifty times more effective at warming the planet. And while much of the global warming debate has focused on huge projects like developing cleaner methods of electricity generation or stopping deforestation, a big difference could come from relatively small sources of methane - like cows."

The EPA has published a list for the US of methane producers . The list is topped by Landfills and Natural gas production with animals being number 3. So it would appear some concentration on recycling along with capture of methane at the land fills would yield the highest & best results. Next we would have to reduce the emmissions from the production of natural gas , again probably not that hard. But to give up beef & daily products ........ tongue.gif

http://www.epa.gov/methane/sources.html

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rattler

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/art...223_100209_4440

Goldenberg's confession

The Chretien advisor's surprising admission about Kyoto

Macleans.ca staff | Feb 23, 2007 | 10:02 am EST

A former top adviser to Jean Chrétien admitted yesterday the government was not prepared to implement Kyoto at the time it was ratified in 2002. Eddie Goldenberg said the Chrétien government felt signing and ratifying the international treaty was simply a first step in swaying public opinion in favour of changes aimed at addressing climate-change."I believe that the signing of the Kyoto accord in the face of vigorous opposition served to galvanize public opinion to bring it to where it is today in Canada," said Goldenberg, who served as Chrétien's chief of staff in 2003. "In the long run, that will be far more important than whether we can meet all the short term deadlines in the accord."

In a speech to the Canadian Club in London, Ontario, Goldenberg said Canadians were not ready at the time for the political changes necessary to meet the targets laid out by the protocol, supporting the agreement’s principles only "in the abstract."

"Nor was the government itself even ready at the time with what had to be done," he said. "The Kyoto targets were extremely ambitious and it was very possible that short term deadlines would, at the end of the day, have to be extended."Goldenberg’s comments come as the federal government is struggling to develop and implement its own "made-in-Canada" approach to emission reductions, though one oil industry official may have revealed part of that new plan yesterday.

According to The Globe and Mail, Suncor Energy spokesman John Rogers said the Harper government is planning to force energy companies to reduce carbon emissions by 2% for every barrel of oil they produce. Otherwise, the companies would face a 25 cent per barrel penalty, Rogers claimed to have been told by federal officials.

"I guess it was pretty clear that the Liberals had no intention of meeting the targets when they signed Kyoto because they didn't do anything to get us there," NDP leader Jack Layton told reporters after Question Period on Thursday.

"So I guess what Mr. Goldenberg is intending to suggest is that all they wanted to implement as Liberals were symbols. They didn't really actually want to do anything about the crisis."

"[W]e always knew that the Liberals had no plan, they took no action and had little intention of doing so," environment minister John Baird said, pointing to the Conservative record. "We're excited about the initiatives that we're taking… on clean transportation, clean energy… the auto sector."

David McGuinty, the Liberal environment critic, expressed surprise at Goldenberg's statements, telling the Globe that he had personally helped design Ottawa's plans for meeting the Kyoto targets. He suggested Goldenberg should clarify his motives, given his current position as a lobbyist for energy sector firms such as TransCanada Pipelines.

Canada signed the Kyoto Protocol in 1998 and ratified it in 2002, thus committing to achieving a 6% reduction in 1990-level greenhouse gas emissions between 2008 and 2012. But emissions continued to rise, as they had since 1990. By 2004, according to government submissions to the UN, Canada's emissions were 27% above 1990 levels and 35% above the Kyoto target.

With files from Canadian Press

I'm kinda curious about just how "they" who ever they are, measure emissions for a whole country? Anyone have a clue as to the formula they use? Is it accurate?

If the government was REALLY serious about reducing energy use, they would put into effect tax write offs for those of us who would love to build a new home on property with geo-thermal, solar panels, and windmills. If I was twenty, it would be worth it, but nearing our 50"s? In the States they have County, State and Federal tax reductions available for those that wish to pursue that way of living.

And they never even signed Kyoto!

Goldenberg said the Chrétien government felt signing and ratifying the international treaty was simply a first step in swaying public opinion in favour of changes aimed at addressing climate-change."

Social Engineering. A long term exercise. Not as long term as the experiment (most social engineering practices fail) with our health care (which seems to be working) but social engineering nevertheless.

Archived