C-GMLC due for a heavy check

...It's been about ....?... many years... 25 or so?, since this particular machine had a heavy check... In fact, the last time was a bit of a scam anyway. Only glossed over the real stuff in order to get a legal cert for flight.... Since then there have only been a few maintenance visits for particular snags.

Sorry... I'm confusing you on purpose.. It's the flesh and bones and innards and stuff connected to this here keyboard I'm talking about... (The CG in the title stands for Canadian Grunt)

So why am I writing this you might well wonder? Well... 'cause I'm flippin' nervous about it, that's why! ....thought maybe yakking about it might help....?

People go to the doctor and come out with all sorts of problems... A friend of mine told me about his grandfather some time back... Said he was perfectly fine, but his wife started worrying about him falling asleep in front of the TV set, so she got him to see a doctor... Accordiung to my friend, that was when his troubles all began... he died within 6 months of that visit.

My wife says my "check engine" light is on... so it was she that initially urged me to go for a "physical"... to be poked and prodded and probed and ...who-knows-what?!... I know... it's all routine stuff for you flyboys... you do it all the time... good thing too.... But hell! I'm not so damned comfortable with this stuff at all!

I know.... I know.... dry.gif ... suck it up Mitch... So here I sit... awaiting a 1:30 appointment with a man who's gonna grab my globes and ask me to cough... and some other stuff ( blink.gif ).... and then I'm gonna haveta go to "the lab" and watch while they extract a few vials of red fluid outta me... and then I'm gonna wait to hear about all the snags that have been hiding within for some time.... I hate it... I hate it... I hate it!

People should come equipped with their own self diagnosis and repair kits somehow... sad.gif

...if I come outta there with some kind of life threatening disease or affliction, I'm gonna be plenty ticked! No parts replacements available for this machine, so they'd just better all be serviceable! unsure.gif

somebody wish me luck will ya?....

Mitch,,,

I've always been of the belief that you're not sick until you see a doctor blink.gif

Don't let them be too invasive, and smile when you hear the glove snap, and remember, if you feel two hands on your shoulders, RUN!

tongue.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

Good luck Buddy!

Iceman

Mitch, I hear you. It seems the checks become more invasive as we age - one more indignity.

You know you're gonna have a bad day when the doc reaches into the bar fridge for the rubber gloves.....and smiles.

Seriously, it'll all be in the rear view mirror before you know it. Best wishes for a good checkup.

Cheers

-Vs

Guest rattler

Mitch, talking from personal experience, you are much better off getting those checks done so as to catch any problems before they become major ones.

Just hold this thought....... "dead men" don't need physicals.

Cheers

Rattler

Mitch,

No one including pilots like to go for the medicals....but.....many a fellow has been "saved" by just doing that. At a certain age pilots go every 6 mos and it was more of a pain but it's a great feeling when everything is ok.

Now one a year for me and I feel guilty about not going every 6 mos. Don't sweat it and have a COMPLETE lab work-up, blood, urine, stool, prostate and you will sleep much better when you know exactly where you stand....good luck

Guest rattler

Mitch, you can also do some self testing.

I am not sure exactly how it works, but this stress test is amazingly accurate.

Read the full description before looking at the picture.

The picture below has two identical dolphins in it. It was used in a case study on stress levels in patients at St. Mary's Hospital in Tampa, FL.

Look at both dolphins jumping out of the water. The dolphins are identical. A closely monitored, scientific study of a group, revealed that in spite of the fact that the dolphins are identical, a person under stress would find differences in the two dolphins. If there are many differences found between both dolphins, it means that the person is experiencing a great amount of stress. Look at the photograph and if you find more than one or two differences you may want to take a vacation.

No Need to Reply, I'll be on Vacation!!!

dolphin

Guest Kilo Mike

Mitch.

Think of it as a full frame inspection ... You can find things that aren't a big deal now and nip them in the bud, but if you wait til they cause something to stop working, then you have something serious.

Oh yah ... If the Doc sends you flowers after.... Change doctors wink.gif .

Not to worry Mitch. It'll be over in a flash. Just remember to breath through the mouth when your bent over. biggrin.gif I had my 45 year check last week, and that's what the doctor told me. I have no idea why, it sure didn't seem like it was any easier to take. cool.gif

Let us know if you get the less salt, caffiene and more exercise lecture. I have a feeling it is auto-programed into the doctors at some point in med school.

Mitch, the numbers are with you. At our ages, hydraulic pressure, gross weight, not burning oil (no signs of smoke outa any of the exhaust pipes), choice of fuel, amount of antifreeze consumed and manufacturer and fleet history are the important things and I suspect you're good in all heavy maintenance categories. Hangar yerself in confidence, ignore the degrading intrusion by pretending you're mooning someone you don't like, offer apple juice for "the sample" and dream of day-shifts when the hydraulics are tested.

best,

Don

Guest rattler

laugh.gif

You guys are great! Thanks all....

Rattler... re: "Dead men don't need physicals"...  smile.gif There really is a light at the end of every tunnel, isn't there!  biggrin.gif

Definitely but if your doctor approachs with industrial orange gloves and a large flashlight .............. watch out. biggrin.gif

All will be well Mitch. Make sure you get a PSA!!!

If you're good you may get a sucker at the end of it all so chin up, onwards and upwards etc. smile.gif

Greg

Don't worry till you're on your deathbed. . . .. .

Mack was on his deathbed. His wife, Susan, was maintaining a vigil by his side.

She held his fragile hand, and tears ran down her face.

Her praying roused him from his slumber.

He looked up and his pale lips began to move slightly.

"My darling Susan," he whispered. "Hush, my love," she said. "Rest. Don't talk."

He was insistent. "Susan," he said in his tired voice. "I have something I must confess to you."

"There's nothing to confess," replied the weeping Susan. "Everything's all right, go to sleep."

"No, no. I must die in peace, Susan. I slept with your sister, your best friend, and your mother."

"I know," she replied. "That's why I poisoned you."

user posted image

With any luck you will get the new female Doctor.

When shes finished with the "glove" routine and she asks..." Is there anything else wrong with you lately?,...The reply should be..,,Hell, you tell me Doc...you now know me better than my wife does !! ohmy.gif

Why is it that when people die, the last person they've usually seen is their Doctor?

Les Nessman  WKRP

Seriously Mitch, you are much better off going in for the occasional A check, than waiting until the old fuselage gets so worn down that you need a full teardown.

On the subject of pilot medicals, it's fair to say that like everything else, there are "variances" in terms of how detailed the doctor is during the inspection. There may be one standard, but I've seen enough AMEs (aviation medical examiners) over the years to know there's a wide range of interpretations out there. In any case, if the AME follows the TC guidelines, that physical may be enough to ensure that you don't keel over in the flight deck in the next 6 months (or a year for the younger folks), but it is not a guarantee of long term future performance. There are many other things, like the blood work and PSA test which aren't in the standard aviation medical. We all owe it to ourselves to see our family physician regularl for those other tests as well.

Don't worry Mitch, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. And if there are a couple of minor defects, now's the time to take care of them.

Jeff

There are many other things, like the blood work and PSA test which aren't in the standard aviation medical. We all owe it to ourselves to see our family physician regularl for those other tests as well.

Don't worry Mitch, I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. And if there are a couple of minor defects, now's the time to take care of them.

If not this check, certainly the next one you'll also be due for the exhaust duct boroscoping. icon_eek.gif

OK, phase check part one is done... NDT x-ray and hydraulic fluid samples tomorrow...

So the old doc had this wrap on his hand... "Whadja do to yer hand?" sez Mitch... "I had a couple pulleys fixed" sez the doc... then he laughs... "I'm afraid I can't get a glove on it now, so we'll have to forgo that part of the exam"

Whew! - err... I mean, Aww damn. biggrin.giflaugh.gif

A Dr. is about to do a "rectal" exam, he exclaims to his nurse - " I can't see a damn thing, get me a light." She waltz's in a little while later with a silver tray with an opened Miller Beer on it... The Dr. sigh's and says to her, "No, I need a butt light!"... unsure.gif

Remember, you've got nothing to fear until you feel both hands on your shoulders...

Guest rattler
OK, phase check part one is done... NDT x-ray and hydraulic fluid samples tomorrow...

So the old doc had this wrap on his hand... "Whadja do to yer hand?" sez Mitch... "I had a couple pulleys fixed" sez the doc... then he laughs... "I'm afraid I can't get a glove on it now, so we'll have to forgo that part of the exam"

Whew! - err... I mean, Aww damn. biggrin.giflaugh.gif

The digital exam is not the best answer so no problem that you missed it but insist and pay for a PSA (as part of your blood tests). If he did not check that off, call him and get one. It is well worth the 30 or 40.00 that you may have to pay for it.

So when I go to the vamp- err, ahh... Lab tomorrow to have my reservoir emptied out, I'll drive somebody nuts by saying "PSA, PSA, PSA!" .... so they'll squirt some of the juice in the right tester gizmo, ...and when I see the doc again, as directed, in a couple weeks time, I'll make sure to bug him for some PSA too... biggrin.gif

Mitch;

Yes, the PSA is a test for possible prostate cancer but it is not known by the medical profession for reliability. I would google psa to read up on it. A normal PSA reading is around .2 to .4 but with placing the gland under any pressure or stress can shoot, if you will excuse the expression, the PSA reading temporarily quite high. It can be used as a baseline reading and over time establish a pattern against which any high reading can possibly be an indication to look further. But in itself, a high PSA reading (say 4.0 to 6.0) is not in itself an indication of any prostate problem. Prostatitis is another pain in the butt, literally, which can make life unpleasant for males...ejactulation hurts and so on but its not a sign of more serious problems.

There are lots of books on this as well...Dr. Art Hister, a local MD and radio host has written a book called "Mid-life Man" in which he discusses the prostate thoroughly. It'll set yer mind at ease for one thing and give you some perspective on the PSA blood test. I just paid for mine...$30 at the local clinic. Now if only my bod' would quit manufacturing all that HDL cholesterol! Tried diet, exercise and everything...nothing works! sad.gif

This thread is great...male medical issues, actually discussed in public. Clear the stage, ladies! biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Now if only my bod' would quit manufacturing all that HDL cholesterol! Tried diet, exercise and everything...nothing works! sad.gif

This thread is great...male medical issues, actually discussed in public. Clear the stage, ladies! biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Don:

I sent you a PM. Sorry if the link doesn't look right. You should be able to copy it into the address window.

Jeff

P.S. I agree re. the open discussion of male health issues. Someone send out a memo!

Archived