Lockdown Distractions

deicer

1 hour ago, deicer said:

I wouldn't normally do this (simply post a link without comment) but in this case it's just perfect.  This article perfectly replies to the "colonizer" concept and why it's wrong and a deadend.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-decolonization-movement-will-condemn-us-to-the-brutality-of-our-past

1 hour ago, Seeker said:

I wouldn't normally do this (simply post a link without comment) but in this case it's just perfect.  This article perfectly replies to the "colonizer" concept and why it's wrong and a deadend.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-decolonization-movement-will-condemn-us-to-the-brutality-of-our-past

I agree with you 300%

16 hours ago, Seeker said:

I will be starting a thread in the other forum about this as I feel it will quickly morph into something other than 'aviation'.

Please follow it there.

31 minutes ago, deicer said:

I will be starting a thread in the other forum about this as I feel it will quickly morph into something other than 'aviation'.

Please follow it there.

From the article: 

“Human history is a miserable river of blood, and all our ancestors bathed in it. We will never erase the sins of the past. All we can do now is move forward and decide what we will and will not tolerate today and in the future.”

This is very true.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Seeker said:

You can't post something like that without writing a punchline!

"Since I started using the new wax from Area 51 Technologies my cruise speed seems a little higher."

Well, the reason I post things like that is to engage my friends on AEF and to allow them to contribute some humour in these interesting times.

• Like 2

Re The Boat Ashore.

TOW BOAT USA is a very reputable firm and I even had a policy with them if something went wrong with my boat while I was in US waters. I find it hard to believe that the crews thought they would get that boat off the shore in that weather.

That vessel  running gear would be so buried in that sand  and would be acting like two anchors, (twin egines), and considering the weight of the boat and pounding surf, and  attempting to turn the boat  broadside  while in the sand  would be a futile exercise.

I guess they thought connecting the tow line to the bow would allow them to pivot the boat and drag it off the shore  and of course the line snapped. Had they had a chain and had the power in the tow boat, the chain would have probably pulled the bow apart ...there was no way that boat, at that weight was going to move off the shore with a tow line connected to the bow, in that kind of weather.

Will be a gigantic insurance claim and I bet all the running gear will have to be replaced.

Obviously we don't know when and where they had complete engine failure but rule #1...... when you lose all steering control is to DROP THE ANCHOR...🫣

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

Obviously we don't know when and where they had complete engine failure but rule #1...... when you lose all steering control is to DROP THE ANCHOR...🫣

A comment from another site:

'From the crew, they said the fire system went off unexpectedly, most likely an error in the system due to ruff seas. When the system goes off, it shuts down both mains and generator. The anchor is hydraulic with no easy access manual override.'

11 minutes ago, conehead said:

Sounds like a poor design.

Agree......My anchor chain windlass is direct to battery with 80 amp breaker. Ready for "free-fall" in 30 seconds.

From the crew, they said the fire system went off unexpectedly, most likely an error in the system due to ruff seas. When the system goes off, it shuts down both mains and generator.

Wow, must be advanced technology. My fire suppression system is like an aircraft.....Have to pull a T-Handle to activate the supression system....non-electric...all mechanical.