Welcome Aboard. Y'all or ?

Air Canada staff will no longer greet 'ladies and gentlemen' onboard planes

Air Canada staff will switch to gender neutral greetings

Air Canada staff on flights will no longer use "ladies and gentlemen" as the company will eliminate gendered greetings in the near future.

facebook-icon.png  

twitter-icon.png  
  google-icon.png  
  reddit-icon.png  
  share-icon.png  

print-icon.png  
  email-icon.png  

Daniel J. Rowe, Digital reporter

@DanielJRowe77

Published Sunday, October 13, 2019 9:58AM EDT

MONTREAL -- Flight attendants at Air Canada will no longer greet passengers as "ladies and gentlemen" or "mesdames et messieurs" as they have for years.

Flight staff will no longer use gender terms in boarding announcements as the company will be replacing scripted greetings with neutral words like "everybody" or "tout le monde".

"We will be amending our onboard announcements to modernize them and remove specific references to gender," a media spokesperson for the company said in an email. "We work hard to make sure all employees feel like valued members of the Air Canada family, while ensuring our customers are comfortable and respected when they choose to travel with us."

Air Canada's response also noted that the company was named one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers for 2019.  

The world is gone to hell.   Exactly .000002% of the population identifies as neither male or female.  What are we doing catering to an extremely small subset of people?  Anybody who can't deal with a greeting of "hello ladies and gentlemen" shouldn't be allowed out in public let alone on an aircraft.

2 hours ago, seeker said:

Exactly .000002% of the population identifies as neither male or female.

I recently encountered one for the first and probably last time in my life, a decade ago I would have sworn I was the target of a prank reality show.

I didn't trouble her with asking for an explanation as to how "transmasculine" meant anything other than male.

I totally understand the restrictions one must place on oneself when working as a company representative, in uniform - govern yourself accordingly and don't say anything that look bad on twitter or youtube.  Got it. 

Not sure about mentally ill but def. playing the game. I well remember when confronted by a "liberated woman in the 70s" she was down the throat type .  I, with some other staff (including her) went for coffee, I held the door open for her and some male employees (common courtesy  or so I thought) She was annoyed that I had held the door open for her and was quite loud expressing her desire not to be be treated any different from the males...... so when it came to buy coffee, I did so for the men but not for her.  She asked why and I explained that with men, it was up to me to decide who I wanted to pay for  and who I wanted to exclude.  This was noted and we did see a change in her, in that our group continued to treat all fellow staff members using the same yard stick.  As a worker, she proved to be as good and in some cases better than non female staff and was treated, at least by me, accordingly. 

Maybe we should start announcements with the hip,trendy and culturally acceptable......

YO YO.......  ‘SUP  BITCHES

Or how about....

LADIES, GENTLEMEN, AND THOSE NOT SURE....

The left wing, Politically Correct psychos cannot change basic biology, there are only two sexes.  Identify with what ever you like, but we are running out of letters with the "LGB....."

"Ladies and Gentlemen" and "Merry Christmas" are top of my list.  I have been thanked countless times for wishing the passengers a Merry Christmas over the PA.

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

The left wing, Politically Correct psychos cannot change basic biology, there are only two sexes.  Identify with what ever you like, but we are running out of letters with the "LGB....."

"Ladies and Gentlemen" and "Merry Christmas" are top of my list.  I have been thanked countless times for wishing the passengers a Merry Christmas over the PA.

There are 14 defined abnormalities and variations for the human gonosomes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_anomalies

Who cares? Some of you are making far too much of this. If one wanted to be accurate previously, the greeting should have been "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls" or some such. I don't think a five year old is a lady or gentleman. File this in the "Grumpy old retired guys like to complain about anything."

14 minutes ago, dagger said:

Who cares? Some of you are making far too much of this. If one wanted to be accurate previously, the greeting should have been "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls" or some such. I don't think a five year old is a lady or gentleman. File this in the "Grumpy old retired guys like to complain about anything."

If it was by itself, maybe.   

Can't address a group by saying "ladies and gentlemen" - might hurt somebody's feelings.

Can't say "Merry Christmas" - might cause offence.

Can't wear a poppy because it "glorifies war."

Can't make a slightest comment about immigration without being labeled a racist.

Can't use chopsticks without someone accusing you of cultural appropriation.

You don't see a pattern?

39 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Haven't seen that....where is that promulgated ??

Promulgated: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/anne-theriault-/remembrance-day-poppy_b_4219242.html 

For those of us who proudly wear the poppy,  I like the British approach of Telling   those against, to Sod Off!!!!!!

If you ever run across someone who is against the wearing, you can send them this video:

2 hours ago, seeker said:

If it was by itself, maybe.   

Can't address a group by saying "ladies and gentlemen" - might hurt somebody's feelings.

Can't say "Merry Christmas" - might cause offence.

Can't wear a poppy because it "glorifies war."

Can't make a slightest comment about immigration without being labeled a racist.

Can't use chopsticks without someone accusing you of cultural appropriation.

You don't see a pattern?

Is it company policy that you can't, as the Captain, wish people Merry Christmas? I mean, as you stand at the door as people disembark on, say, Dec 20-23 (a senior capital like you probably doesn't work right up to Xmas Day) would you not wish passengers Merry Christmas? Are you forbidden from wishing folks Merry Christmas under any circumstances? Does the company forbid Christmas trees in the lobbies of its main buildings? Just curious, because this so-called War on Christmas is another thing that feels a little overblown.

2 minutes ago, dagger said:

Is it company policy that you can't, as the Captain, wish people Merry Christmas? I mean, as you stand at the door as people disembark on, say, Dec 20-23 (a senior capital like you probably doesn't work right up to Xmas Day) would you not wish passengers Merry Christmas? Are you forbidden from wishing folks Merry Christmas under any circumstances? Does the company forbid Christmas trees in the lobbies of its main buildings? Just curious, because this so-called War on Christmas is another thing that feels a little overblown.

Well, as a Captain, nobody will tell me I can't say "Merry Christmas".  Nobody will tell me not to say "Ladies and Gentlemen" either.  They might "suggest" that I use a different salutation but as far as forbid the standard - nope, won't happen.  But, you see, the whole process is more insidious - for those minions that they can control; a directive about what terms to use.  For those they can't; gentle reminders, alternate suggestions and mild disapproval, which ultimately/eventually has the same effect.  

Kip.....The Air Canada poppy fiasco came about 2 years ago when the head of inflight service sent out a memo that f/A’s could not wear the poppy for Remembrance Day..it did not fit the image the company was trying to project. Once this became public,and  the ensuing pr nightmare, the policy was quickly dropped and backtracked on....just one of many issues f/as are having to deal with from the company these days.

46 minutes ago, st27 said:

Kip.....The Air Canada poppy fiasco came about 2 years ago when the head of inflight service sent out a memo that f/A’s could not wear the poppy for Remembrance Day..it did not fit the image the company was trying to project. Once this became public,and  the ensuing pr nightmare, the policy was quickly dropped and backtracked on....just one of many issues f/as are having to deal with from the company these days.

Thanks...it will be a frosty day in Hell if I am ever told to Not wear a Poppy. Really unfortunate that most Canadians have never had a tour of the battlefields of Europe  and seen the rows and rows of men who gave their all in the name of freedom. What was most impressive was the young age that so many were when they met their demise.....

FOREVER grateful for those that gave me this life I enjoy...ScreenShot006.jpg.f5e7e25e5e1715e042795c9031537963.jpg

PS...The creeps, and there will be some again this year, that steal the donation boxes should be forced to spend a day looking at actual photos of the horror that so many endured...... for all of us.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, seeker said:

The world is gone to hell.   Exactly .000002% of the population identifies as neither male or female.  What are we doing catering to an extremely small subset of people?  Anybody who can't deal with a greeting of "hello ladies and gentlemen" shouldn't be allowed out in public let alone on an aircraft.

An EXTREMELY VOCAL subset

Some very smart people are finally pushing back, Ben Shapiro and Dr Jordan Peterson to name two.  The Left Wing nut-jobs are doing all they can to squash free speech, ANTIFA being at the far end.

If you are not familiar with these two gentleman, they both have a lot of YouTube content.  Time to push back for the sake of the next generation, these aren't just angry old white guys Dagger. 

Ben Shapiro is early 30's, there are people with common sense, but they are getting afraid to speak out.  Time to tell them to go sc@ew themselves!

Archived