Air Saguenay Aircraft Crash

4 dead in Labrador float plane crash, fate of 3 more unknown

Four people are dead following the crash of an Air Sagenuay plane into a Labrador lake on Monday night.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/float-plane-crash-mistastin-lake-1.5213255?cmp=rss

Wreckage spotted 5 a.m. after plane didn't arrive as scheduled Monday evening

CBC News · Posted: Jul 16, 2019 11:43 AM NT | Last Updated: a few seconds ago
  Mistastin Lake crater from Discovery Peak. The lake is the site of a float plane crash. (Michael Zanetti)

Four people are dead following the crash of an Air Sagenuay plane into a Labrador lake on Monday night.

The president of Air Saguenay confirmed the deaths on Tuesday morning and said the fate of three more people is unclear.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) got a call at 11:30 p.m. that a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver float plane was overdue.

Seven people were on board, heading from a fishing lodge near Crossroads Lake, near the Quebec border, to a remote camp on Mistastin Lake in northern Labrador.The group was scheduled to be back at Crossroads Lake by 6 p.m. Monday, but did not return. A Hercules airplane was put in the air as soon as the call came in to JRCC. The Hercules spotted the wreckage at 5 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Air Saguenay has directed a second plane to fly to Mistastin Lake to help with the search for possible survivors.Maj. Mark Gough, with the JRCC, said it's too early to make assumptions about the fate of the missing."We don't know that yet. We won't know until our guys are on the ground in the next little while and they do the search for any possible survivors."There were four passengers, two guides and one pilot on board. Gough said next of kin are being notified.The cause of the crash is unknown. Officials with the Transportation Safety Board have been called in.

My wife and daughter did a sightseeing flight trip with them last year during a Disney Cruise port stop and I spent some time with the crew (mutual friends) so I feel a bit of a connection here. 

The pilot on my wife's trip had 600 hundred hours TT.  I thought that would be fine for a Beaver on floats.  Looking at their accident history though I'm doing the armchair quarterback thing - 3 Fatal accidents in 9 years.  That's high.

Accidents and incidents

• On 16 July 2010, a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane, registration C-GAXL,[3] crashed into a wooded mountainside and caught fire near Lake Péribonka, Quebec, after encountering adverse weather conditions seven minutes into the flight. Of the six people on board, the pilot and three passengers were killed.[4][5]
  • On 23 August 2015, a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane, registration C-FKRJ,[6] crashed into a wooded mountainside and caught fire near Les Bergeronnes, Quebec, shortly after taking off from Long Lake, near Tadoussac, on a sightseeing flight. All people on board, the pilot and six passengers, were killed.[7][8][9]
  • On July 15th 2019, a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane crashed into a Labrador Lake late Monday night. The aircraft was on flight path from a fishing lodge near Crossroads Lake, near the Quebec border, to a remote camp on Mistastin Lake in northern Labrador. On board Were seven people, four of them are confirmed dead and the fate of the remaining three is unclear. The cause of the crash has not yet been determined however officials with the Transportation Safety Board have been called in.

5 hours ago, Specs said:
  • On July 15th 2019, a DHC-2 Beaver floatplane crashed into a Labrador Lake late Monday night. The aircraft was on flight path from a fishing lodge near Crossroads Lake, near the Quebec border, to a remote camp on Mistastin Lake in northern Labrador. On board Were seven people, four of them are confirmed dead and the fate of the remaining three is unclear. The cause of the crash has not yet been determined however officials with the Transportation Safety Board have been called in.

Into a lake on floats? In the dark? Hopefully the 3 not confirmed deceased will turn up ok if only injured. Condolences to those who perished...

3 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Into a lake on floats? In the dark? Hopefully the 3 not confirmed deceased will turn up ok if only injured. Condolences to those who perished...

In the dark?   Sunset in Labrador is not until just before 9pm this time of year.  So was it later than that? just asking

From the news story,Seven people were on board, heading from a fishing lodge near Crossroads Lake, near the Quebec border, to a remote camp on Mistastin Lake in northern Labrador.The group was scheduled to be back at Crossroads Lake by 6 p.m. Monday, but did not return

Further news story sets the time as being a daylight operation. 

Search underway for

Four occupants of a downed float plane remained missing Tuesday after the aircraft crashed into a Labrador lake, killing three others on board.

Jean Tremblay, president of the small Quebec airline that owns the plane, said he was informed by search and rescue officials that three of those aboard were killed, while the condition of the other four people remains unknown.

The identities of those on the flight weren’t immediately made public

Tremblay, president of Air Saguenay, said the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver was carrying four fishermen, two guides and the pilot. It left Three Rivers Lodge on Crossroads Lake, east of Schefferville, Que., Monday morning headed to a remote fishing camp on Mistastin Lake.

But the plane didn’t return as planned that evening.

“After one hour, the plane was still missing, and there was no news, so we engaged the emergency plan,” Tremblay said from the company’s Saguenay, Que.-based headquarters.

Crew on a Hercules aircraft dispatched from Greenwood, N.S., spotted the wreckage at about 5 a.m. local time Tuesday at Mistastin Lake, about 120 kilometres southwest of Nain, N.L.

Maj. Mark Gough of Maritime Forces Atlantic, which is co-ordinating the rescue effort, said it’s still unknown what time the plane when down. It was spotted in the southeast end of the lake, approximately one kilometre from shore, identified by the visible tail and other wreckage in the water.

“If someone was to have survived the crash they would have had a bit of a swim to get to land,” Gough said.

READ MORE: 2 dead after float plane crashes in Hawk Junction, Ont.

The cause of the crash remains unclear but Gough said “the weather was fair, sunny with cloudy periods and light winds” Monday and continued much the same Tuesday.

Tremblay said the pilot has been an employee of Air Saguenay since 2011. “He’s 61 years old with more than 20,000 hours (flying experience),” he said. “He has been assigned to this specific contract with the outfitter for many years.”

F

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

A high time pilot but only eight years with this outfitter. Not sure how much of that time is on Beavers. A glassy water landing in twilight gone bad?  

seems to me from the story it would have been  in daylight.  The story says they were heading to the lake Monday morning and that the wreckage was found at the lake where they should have left in the daylight to be back at base by 6pm that day or am I missing something?

Corrected. Flight as planned would have been in full daylight. 

The list of possibilities is long but locating the wreckage will help eliminate some. Engine failure or pilot incapacitation would have to be considered. 

In 1979 there was an AD on Beavers to inspect or replace a wing spar support hinge. Some outfits did the work immediately, others put it off to ‘freeze up’ in the fall. That summer a friend of mine flying a DHC2 had a wing partially separate in flight and crashed on a remote lake shoreline. The autopsy showed he survived the impact but was trapped in his seat just below the surface and drowned. 

I hope the cause of this crash can be determined.

Le Castor Bionique???? I always thought it looked cool....turbo otter, that’s a different story.

btw....always enjoyed having a cold one and watching the action at the Flying Beaver.

12 hours ago, boestar said:

Well if Viking actually ramped up production then maybe P&W could spool up a radial line.

The Turbo beaver is just ugly

This ‘one of’ conversion was definitely a mistake but Viking are now making a beautiful version of the DHC2T.

EF65944B-0C50-4DC5-89DD-1F686D30F8A0.jpeg

59 minutes ago, blues deville said:

EF65944B-0C50-4DC5-89DD-1F686D30F8A0.jpeg

That thing is truly hideous. It’s now on display above one of the restaurants in the terminal in Anchorage. 

No one wants new radial engined aircraft. Avgas is becoming scarce in many places.

17 hours ago, boestar said:

The Turbo beaver is just ugly

Boestar: I dare you to tell that to the people who fly and work on this one. Later on I’m sure they could hook you up with some wifi to keep those posts coming. ?

2F0DD89B-7717-47D1-A139-ACEC2F6CB936.jpeg

Ugly is relative.  The Beaver is a great looking airplane.  When you add the longer nose it just detracts from the looks of the plane.  it doesn't look "Beaver" anymore.

19 hours ago, Marshall said:

It is Unclear if Viking is building a NEW aircraft or taking an old one a refurbishing it to the new Viking Standard.  Some of that information on the website reads like a refurb not an entirely new aircraft.  

For example " All AD's and SB's complied with.  If it were factory new this wouldn't be a question.  AD's on a new airframe like this would be very few.  "New Lifetime Struts" reads like the old ones are being replaced.

No where does it mention building a new airframe, only extending it.

I believe the Twin Otter is the only "Production" aircraft being built from scratch.

Archived