Share this article

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

The airline adds another low-cost, long-haul option serving Vancouver International Airport

VANCOUVER, Oct. 22, 2018 /CNW/ - WOW air, Iceland's only ultra-low cost airline, is expanding its Canadian services by opening a new route in Vancouver. Starting June 2019, there will be six weekly flights out of Vancouver International Airport (YVR) with one-way fares to Reykjavik starting for as low as $129.

Beginning today, Canadians can purchase their tickets, and get a head start on planning for their upcoming summer vacation! The route, operating A321neo aircraft, a first for YVR, will connect Canadians travellers to New Delhi, Tel Aviv and other European destinations*.

"We are delighted to expand our roster of destinations to include Canada's west coast," said Skúli Mogensen, CEO and founder of WOW air. "The new route in Vancouver is a testament to our commitment to pursue growth in North America, as well as connect more Canadian travellers to our growing list of overseas destinations."

"It's right there in the name - WOW! We are so excited to welcome this new, innovative airline partner to YVR and further connect B.C. proudly to the world with increased service to Iceland and beyond," said Craig Richmond, President and CEO of Vancouver Airport Authority. "With the addition of WOW Airlines, we are well on our way to reaching our goal of 29 million passengers by 2020 and will have 57 airlines servicing the YVR community."

The new route not only offers passengers access to unparalleled fares, but also includes a stopover in Reykjavik, where they can stay for as long as they wish with the WOW Stopover. This option gives travellers the flexibility to break up a long journey and discover the natural beauty of the Northern Lights, the Blue Lagoon, the Landbrotalaug Hot Spring and many more exciting destinations Iceland has to offer.

Vancouver is a world-class destination with an award-winning airport and offers travellers unparalleled access to the natural beauty of British Columbia. This new service is made possible, in part, by YVR's rates and charges program – ConnectYVR. The program provides a highly competitive rate structure and includes rates lower than any other major airport in Canada and competing US airports.

*Promotion for the new route offers fares as low as $129 to Iceland and $199 to European destinations such as Amsterdam, Stockholm, Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, Copenhagen, Dublin, Frankfurt, London, Lyon, Milan and Berlin. Prices for New Delhi are from $329 and Tel Aviv $249. Travel period for the promotion is June and September through October 25 2019. Prices for WOW premium start from $658.

About WOW air
WOW air offers the lowest fares, a modern fleet with the lowest emissions and the biggest smile; this is the WOW air promise to its valuable customers.

The airline services 38 destinations across Europe and North America including Dublin, London, Paris, Berlin, and Copenhagen, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston, Montreal and Toronto.

Established in November 2011 by Icelandic entrepreneur Skúli Mogensen, the purple airline flies with Airbus A320 aircrafts and Airbus A321/A330 models. WOW air boasts one of the world's youngest fleets, with an average aircraft age of just 2.5 years. By the end of 2018 the fleet will consist of 24 aircraft.

WOW air was ranked as the 5th best low-cost, long-haul airline in the world at 2016 Skytrax World Airline Awards. WOW air was also ranked as the 7th best low-cost airline in Europe at the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Skytrax World Airline Awards and was the youngest airline in the top ten.

For more information visit: wowair.ca.

48 minutes ago, dagger said:

I get why they flagged New Delhi for the Vancouver market, but that's very long trip to save money.

Especially when one stop fares on full service carriers are already be pretty low.

6 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Especially when one stop fares on full service carriers are already be pretty low.

Yes, I did a cost comparison for YYZ-DEL for the same weeks , snd since you absolutely have to have one carry-on and one checked bag, there is little or no difference between the base WOW fare and the AC base fare for the nonstop which includes two checked bags.

21 minutes ago, dagger said:

Yes, I did a cost comparison for YYZ-DEL for the same weeks , snd since you absolutely have to have one carry-on and one checked bag, there is little or no difference between the base WOW fare and the AC base fare for the nonstop which includes two checked bags.

Of course they are also offering fares to Europe with a stayover in Iceland.  

On 10/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, dagger said:

I get why they flagged New Delhi for the Vancouver market, but that's very long trip to save money.

There is no routing too long or convoluted for the Indian, Pakistani, South African or Rhodesian diaspora if they can save $50.

YYC/YEG-SEA-SVO-BOM on Alaska Airlines and Aeroflot with something like a 20 hour layover in Moscow was popular at one time, so popular Alaska had to replace one of their Q400 frequencies from YYC with a 737-400.

• 2 weeks later...

Icelandair Group to take over budget rival Wow Air

• 05 November, 2018
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: David Kaminski-Morrow
  • London

Icelandair Group has agreed to acquire the entire share capital of its budget rival Wow Air.

The group says the share purchase agreement is subject to shareholder approval.

Icelandair Group states that Wow Air shareholders will receive the equivalent of 5.4% of the group’s shares after the transaction.

X

It states that the two companies will continue to operate under separate brands. The carriers have around a 3.8% combined share of the transatlantic market.

“The acquisition creates opportunity for both companies to become even better prepared to provide international carriers with strong competition in the international airline market,” says Icelandair Group.

The group’s interim chief, Bogi Nils Bogason, says the two sides have “many opportunities for synergies”.

Wow Air chief Skuli Mogensen, who founded the budget airline, says the carrier will have an “opportunity to grow and prosper” with Icelandair Group as its “strong backer”.

4 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Malcolm

After posting, please take a look at what you posted. In this post I have two large B:LACK rectangles.

If it is my computer or browser, I apologize and will endeavour to find out what is happening at my end.

Have a nice week.

Black should now be gone. 

4 minutes ago, conehead said:

I saw the same black holes. Thought it was me. :)

The trap worked then. ?

It appears some news sites have features imbedded into their articles that do not appear when first pasted and I normally delete the items when rechecking my posts.

Archived