Stropping A Disposable Razor

acsidestick

I'm only charging 10% of the savings for the rest of your lives.

Gents (and I suppose Ladies as well) I have been waiting a few months to make this post until I had confirmed results my self. It totally works.

In the early 1900s Gillette invented a process for making ultra thin, durable razor blades. This steel was the standard in barbershops everywhere, where a blade would be reused for years, and kept sharp by stropping it against leather. Until the 1970s these were the standard for shaving. Other companies like Shick have never really made as good of blades. In your grandfathers days, Gillete released safety blades meant to be replaced regularly until dull, then replaced. In the 1970s, the concept of disposables came about and we started buying entire razors when blades were dull.

In the 1990s Gillettes profits were soaring and they decided on a new product that would increase profits 3 fold. They invented what might still be the best razor ever, the Gillette Mach 3. The concept was simple. Triple blades which would be the best until they got dull, and then replaced with a new cartridge.

You may have noticed that Razor blades seem to be getting really expensive, it isn't your imagination. Gillette and Shick are currently involved in AntiTrust lawsuits showing that they have tripled the cost of blades over the past few years with no correlating increase in materials cost.

They simply decided to rip the world off.

It's time to hit back.

The world of Shaving manufactures does not want you to know this, but YOU CAN STROP A DISPOSABLE RAZOR AND NEVER REPLACE IT.

Here is what stropping does. When you use a new blade, it's edge is microscopically close to perfection and straight. As you use a razor, your beard, on a microscopic level dents the edge. The longer it's used, the wavier the edge becomes. We feel this imperfection with pulling on the beard, and perceive the edge is "dull". It isn't, it's just bent many times.

Stropping smooths the little dents and makes the edge straight again.

I have been using the same blade since October, and wanted to wait to see when I would eventually need to replace it, it is still going strong.

I saw videos on YouTube and thought it must be a hoax, but this really works.

Using a pair of blue jeans, take one leg and smooth it flat. Take your razor and "push" it 30-50 times for a foot or so along the pant leg. Don't shave the pant, but push the blades so they go with the stroke, not against it. I don't why you do this next step, but you do. Turn the handle around and now drag it towards you, still making sure the blades are going WITH the direction of stroke 30-50 times.

Voila, as sharp as brand new.

I watched one video where a guy claims 2 years on the same blade. I'm at the 6 month mark and believe it's possible. Even if you only keep it six months, it's considerable savings.

Mitch, we all want to know what that face looks like under that forest. No more "I was saving the planet" excuses ?

Here's a link to a demonstration.

There was an earlier thread dealing with "manhood" sensitivities.

Well, you know you're comfortable with your own masculinity when you acknowledge (as I now do knowingly) that an "unstropped" blade lasts six months---at least---as it does for me.

But then---I'm "frugal"!.

I tried it this morning with a Gillette disposable blade that was getting a little rough. It worked like a charm. Now if only I hadn't picked up a new 8 pack of blades last Friday!

Archived