Gtaa Takes Lessons From Ontario Government On Creating Revenue Streams

anonymous

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and people seem to think a high speed rail link from Toronto to Montreal or Calgary to Edmonton would be cheaper than air.......

How far is the new Union - Pearson Express link? Maybe 11 miles of track?

What would it cost to get high speed rail up and running on close to 350 miles of track?

The economic fare on the Airport link probably is about $20 each way. If it's reduced so it becomes taxpayer subsidized, two guesses which sector is going to end up subsidizing it?

For the record, a ticket for a 45 minute ride on the Stansted Express from London to Stansted Airport tomorrow morning is over C$40 one way , $21 if booked 7 days in advance and about $15 if booked 30 days in advance.

In the Canadian context, high speed rail is a Bombardier/SNC Lavalin wet dream.......

Give me a call in 2040 and we'll chat about it.

I have no problem with a $20 one-way, $35 return fare on the GTAA airport train. I'll never use it, because I don't live downtown. What bothers me is that the Star is trying to make an issue out of pricing that hasn't been announced, trying to tell us how "outraged" people are. If they are outraged over this, I can't imagine how they feel about more pressing problems in their life. Psychotic, perhaps? As the Metrolinks people say, there will be some kind of frequent user rate that may suit airport employees, although if you work at the airport you most likely live near it, or north/northeast/northwest of it within driving distance. Where the Metrolinks people may miss the mark is on the lack of a combo airport express/transit deal, and they could have planned in downtown baggage checkin (Vienna's airport express does this, you can check in your bags and collect your boarding pass downtown, get on the train and go right to security and your gate at the airport). The more features they build into the price, the more they can charge.

For YVR to downtown the fare is $4, plus a YVR add on fare of $5 for a single trip ticket.

You can buy a monthly pass across two zones, which would get you anywhere in Vancouver to Anywhere in Richmond for $124.

You can get a day pass for $9.75 which covers all zones.

If you have any kind of pass or are an employee at YVR, you do not pay the YVR add on fare.

I have no problem with a $20 one-way, $35 return fare on the GTAA airport train. I'll never use it, because I don't live downtown. What bothers me is that the Star is trying to make an issue out of pricing that hasn't been announced, trying to tell us how "outraged" people are. If they are outraged over this,

I'm with you Dagger - I'd rather the fare be what it needs to be to cover the capital/operating costs than have another residential property tax hike for something that I and most other taxpayers will never use.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused...MetroLinx which is an agency of the provincial government, has a mandate to coordinate public transportation around the Gtaa, builds the Pearson Union rail Link. Why should the fares be any higher than that of Go transit or the Ttc for the same comparable distance. Will the new subway rates be user pay for the billions required for expansion? I don't understand how MetroLinx can get away saying the rail link is not meant to be mass transit.

Guest longtimer

A higher fare ($5) on top of the typical distance based charge.

but if you purchase a book of tickets, etc you will not be subject to the surcharge. I guess they were trying to accommodate those who use the service daily vs the tourist. As for me I buy the faresaver tickets.

From the http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx

Canada Line YVR AddFareCanada Line Train

The $5 Canada Line YVR AddFare is applicable to travel departing from any of the stations on Sea Island (YVR-Airport, Sea Island Centre and Templeton) destined for Bridgeport Station or points beyond. The Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs) at the three Sea Island Stations are programmed to charge the additional YVR AddFare automatically on applicable transactions. (Please note that DayPasses are not available at Sea Island Station TVMs.)

Canada Line customers who buy their fare zone ticket from a TVM using cash, debit or credit card must pay the $5 YVR AddFare. This includes Concession (seniors and student) fares. Children under the age of five can ride transit for free and are not subject to the YVR AddFare.

Exemptions

Customers who use prepaid fares such as DayPasses, Monthly FareCards, FareSaver tickets, West Coast Express weekly and 28-day passes, U-Passes, Employer Passes and Government Bus Passes are exempt from the Canada Line YVR AddFare. If you are at the airport, DayPasses can be purchased at the 7-Eleven or the Pharmasave on Level 1, Arrivals. DayPasses and FareSavers don't have specific dates for travel, so they can be purchased in bulk for future travel dates.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived