AC Increases NYC Services

manwest

Seriously?

In all these years AC has not learned a thing. Flood the market and hope something sticks. Protect market share AT ALL COSTS.

Unless you call saving market share at the cost of profitability a sound business strategy , this looks crazy to me.

Seriously?

In all these years AC has not learned a thing. Flood the market and hope something sticks. Protect market share AT ALL COSTS.

Unless you call saving market share at the cost of profitability a sound business strategy , this looks crazy to me.

Some ex-CP folks may recall Canadi>ns big announcement in late 1995 about hourly A320 service between YYC-YVR in advance of the launch of a certain new LCC. It made the front page of the Calgary Herald as I recall. I have a copy of it buried in a box somewhere.

The announcement had absolutely zero impact on launch planning.

It'll be interesting to see how the slot times in the package WJ bid on match up to the launch sched we see on Monday.

B)

Seriously?

A flood? One extra round trip to LGA and 150 seats a day to JFK, some of which are going to be sold for transcon and international feed?

In the end, whether it qualifies as a flood would depend on how many net seats are being added by AC to the New York market, n'est-ce-pas?

Ballpark, comparing the March to mid-June schedule, I'd say the add for AC between Toronto and LGA is 75 seats a day each way, but with a slightly improved and more predictable schedule?

A flood?

As for JFK, it might not work year round, but for the summer schedule it's not a bad idea to chase some international feed and at least it's something unique. If you're going to or originating in lower Manhattan, southern Long Island, Staten Island or anything south of Union Turnpike/Grand Central Parkway, JFK is closer than LGA.

OK. The word flood is overly descriptive.

The point stands though. It is the old "whack a mole stategy" designed to keep the competition at bay.

It worked for many years but these days , not so much.

Seriously?

Hey rocket scientist, exactly who is flooding the market with seats ??

AC has been serving these airports for decades. With the tie-up wit CO/UA they pulled the YVR/YYC-JFK and shuffled them to EWR. and are now going back with 2 flights a day to JFK, other services remain about the same.

Unless you meant to say WJ and Porter are flooding the market :closedeyes:

So AC's response has nothing to do with Porter and WestJet? Sure.

Have to admit though , WestJet's entrance is much more accurately described as a flood. Maybe even a tsunami. I am not confident that it will play out so well but we shall see.

Of course AC announced first (Jan 25th) and then Porter and Westjet countered on the 27th, so one could say that they were flooding the market in response to an increase in service by AC...... :stirthepot:

In the fall of 1999, Canadian carriers, (including the AA/CP partnership), operated a total of 109 weekly frequencies to LGA from YYZ with a total of 11,713 seats a week or 108.0 seats per departure.

At the time, it was virtually all narrow body Airbus, B737-200's with a few AA F100's for good measure.

By May 2010, that had dropped to 72 weekly frequencies and 7,547 seats a week or 104.8 seats per departure.

In June 2012, it is currently scheduled at 87 weekly frequencies and 7,779 seats a week, or 89.4 seats per departure.

In 1999, Canadian-based airlines had a total of 130 weekday slots into LGA, operating a total of 16,618 seats a week into the market, from YYZ, YUL and YOW.

The summer 2012 schedule from all points in Canada, (and it would appear YHZ lost their n/s into LGA at some point since 2009), has 120 weekday slots with a total of 11,970 seats a day into LGA.

WJ will add 8 slots a day and assuming the -600's will be the dominant aircraft on the route, about 5,000 seats a week.

In otherwords, the total n/s capacity flying from Canada to LGA in the summer of 2012 is an additional 352 seats a week over 1999 levels.

There's lots of room for growth at LGA just to bring Cdn based capacity back to the levels of 13 years ago. With LCC - type walkup pricing on its way, I suspect some people in Calgary are betting a good chunk of it will return.

There's a very good reason why LGA remains the premiere airport for business travel in the NYC area. I am told the new rail link from JFK to Manhattan is very useful, but of the three major NYC area airports, EWR is considered by most to be a PITA to deal with, and at least a $50 cab fare from Central Manhattan.

B)

Guest rozar s'macco

It's $50 to/from LGA too, okay maybe $40 if you don't tip. The trips are near identical in time.

But in a branding crazy world, new Yorkers and wannabes alike don't want to be seen to be flying to "Newark". Jersey? What am I an **bleep**?

Really, you haven't learnt anything in 15 years. ?

LCCs drop the fares at the bottom end, the $49 stuff. But the top end drops too. Which I'm sure really nails the legacies.

A tango plus tomorrow YYZ-LGA is $650 and around $550 all week. My guess is WS's Y fare won't even be that high.

PS. YYC-LAX is $250 all next week. That's not because AC is being nice, that's because WS is there.

This is coming to NYC.....

It's not just NYC it's going to be a lot of small domestic markets as well. Westjet regional is going to drop bottom and top end fares in a lot more markets... AC is going to watch the premium it has been getting in these markets disappear pretty quickly.

Archived