Worthwhile trips for kids - suggestions?

Specs

I try to take my pre teen nieces away for a 7-10 day trip every once in a while to let them see the world and expand their horizons beyond the perspective of their little town in Eastern Ontario and the beach resorts down south.

My objective is to give them a blast but at the same time open their eyes to the diverse experiences in this world and some of the simple beautiful things..

Our last trip was hiking in the mountains with some friends but now I'm looking for something in summer 2012. Paris London or Rome spring to mind but I expect there must be some other obscure or fantastic ideas and experiences that can be related from the folks on this forum.

Any travel suggestions for a great adventure or learning experience for pre teens?

Great idea Malcolm - take the train from Calgary to Vancouver, through the spiral tunnels, http://www.canadaforvisitor.com/Calgary_Vancouver_Train.html .

Then from Vancouver to Whistler along the Sea-to-Sky - take the ski-lift up to the top of Blackcomb (two lifts to the very top, the second one is a short one), then back down to the first lift stop and over to the Blackcomb-to-Whistler gondola and back, then back down into the village.

Back to VR next day for Stanley Park, Aquarium, Gastown, English Bay and perhaps the north shore mountains, (Grouse Mountain Chairlift - great view of VR).

Next day across the Salish Sea to Victoria, Buchart Gardens, then north through Nanaimo and Parksville to the Pacific Rim Highway west-bound, stop at Cathedral Grove (huge trees, great walks) on the way to Long Beach, Tofino. From there you can tour Meares Island, walking in the rain forest, (short boat ride, hires in Tofino) - good places to stay http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154942-d263472-Reviews-Middle_Beach_Lodge-Tofino_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html , great food in Tofino. Then to Uclulet where there is a great hike, (Wild Pacific Trail http://www.trails.com/topo.aspx?trailid=HGC105-042 ). Long Beach is well worth the visit especially if there is a storm in! Visit the Wikinninish Inn on the way back to Tofino.

Back to VR and into the interior which is desert country (and wine country!) for swimming in Skaha, Okanagan Lakes and maybe some camping on Skaha.

All are available by bus but renting a car gives more flexibility.

Hope this gives some ideas!

Happy New Year Specs...

Don

All that money on a trip ???

Just give them another PLAYSTATION video game, or a Weeee Game !!! :Grin-Nod: (intended sarcasim)

The trip out to BC is a great adventure...we did the drive from YC to VR, through the Rogers Pass and Okanagan Valley...(my home town), and then back to YC on VIA rail...... Was a lot of fun, even though the kids were under 12. Have a great time, no matter wherever you go. :biggrin1:

Kip...under that heading ($), often all we did was find a pool..., with an inexpensive motel attached...no better, cheaper formula for fun. The drive west from YC, train east to YC is a great variation. Stopping in the Rockies is absolutely the thing to do and Field is not far from the spiral tunnels.

Try a whale watching trip up the Johnstone Strait on Vancouver Island. We did that with our daughters (9 and 12) and they had an incredible time. Take a bit of time to research the best trip to see the Orcas because quite a few of the commercial whale watching out of Victoria might leave you a bit disappointed. The best time is in the spring, and while not "guaranteed" that you will see Orcas, the chances are pretty slim that you won't. Also any number of other wildlife species are in the area and give quite a thrill.

Good luck.

Don/Malcolm

Great ideas and I agree wholeheartedly but I'm afraid we did the west coast already - a week in Whistler and Vancouver.- Stanley Park, English Bay, North Van, Ladner, Lynn Valley, etc. We got a great deal at the Tantalus Lodge in Whistler for 4 days and I'd recommend it to anybody for a cheap family place in the summer.The mountain flowers were in full bloom in early August and the girls loved it.

I was hoping to get the girls out of their comfort zone a bit in a different country this year and while we would be sightseeing of course, there would be an alternate purpose. What exactly that alternate purpose would be is wide open as is how to achieve it.

At the end of the trip they need to have learned something about themselves and their abilities and get some insight or appreciation of how well other cultures work.

Ideally I'd like them to have to use their wits a bit to accomplish something. They're certainly up to it and handle frustration and setbacks well. They've done the farm life, livestock and cleaning chores to death so I was thinking that something like sending them out to buy the groceries on their own in Paris or Rome would suit my purpose perfectly. Learning to navigate the transit sytem in a foreign country would also work. But that's about all I've got so far.

Try a whale watching trip up the Johnstone Strait on Vancouver Island.

Good luck.

D'oh!!

We did try it in the St Lawrence 2 yrs ago @ Tadussac (?). It was a miserable rainy day and not a fluke to be seen anywhere in the height of Whale Watching Season. We did get a chit for a freebie to try again though.

My daughter was 16 when she boarded a flight for Japan. Once there she was "farmed" out to a family in a little town about 200 miles from Tokyo. She completed grade 11 there, learned Japanese, was fluent when she came home and while there had to do much of the shopping, learned the bullet train schedule, and melded into their customs and society...it was a real eye opener.

I never thought my "girl" would be moved by a visit to Hiroshima, and the rest of what she saw and learned, but she came back older, and much wiser, a more delightful person

Now I realize that your "girls" are much younger but consider flying "west" because that is basically where the world enterprizes are evolving. It is a culture shock to visit the Far East and if you can afford it, the girls will have a blast seeing what so few Westerners actually see...in person.

Just an idea :closedeyes:

All that money on a trip ???

Just give them another PLAYSTATION video game, or a Weeee Game !!! :

Howzabout just lending me your viewmaster with the Niagara Falls wheel Kip :biggrin1:

post-2422-0-89412500-1325378317_thumb.jp

Specs, glad you got to those places!

I'd recommend Paris over Rome at least for subway travel - both are good but Rome's very crowded and pickpocket-ish. The shopping idea is great...learn the language basics by starting now, practise with a French or Italian neighbour/friend etc. I've had some of the best meal surprises and nicest beers when ordering in my Italenglitan.

There's Outward Bound but you wouldn't be with them I guess.

Beijing - Shanghai would be quite a challenge for them...language, culture, crowds, sights - Great Wall, Terricottas - our oldest went over just for a week on his own (no tour...just got off the airplane) and had a fine time although not without challenges. I personally would prefer spending time in the Japanese countryside finding temples...Bike riding in Thailand is another such challenge (haven't done it yet) - the Galapagos Islands is another. I met Fran in Africa and we've always wanted to take the kids back - it can be challenge if you just hire your own jeep with driver rather than go on tour. You can climb Kilamanjaro...takes about a week I believe. You could also go to Brazil and motor-boat up the Amazon to Manaus. Haven't done that yet either!

Some dreams, anyway!

Don

I never thought my "girl" would be moved by a visit to Hiroshima, and the rest of what she saw and learned, but she came back older, and much wiser, a more delightful person

Now I realize that your "girls" are much younger but consider flying "west" because that is basically where the world enterprizes are evolving. It is a culture shock to visit the Far East and if you can afford it, the girls will have a blast seeing what so few Westerners actually see...in person.

Just an idea :closedeyes:

I'm already considering it down the road when they're a bit older and after I've been there myself beforehand. (the grownups can't be as lost as the kids - my sister would shoot me)

And speaking of war memorials, I had been wondering about visiting some of the Canadian War memorials in France this year (Vimy ridge etc). It's definitely something that would give them a unique sense of Canadian History and a perspective to draw upon every Remembrance day.

Some dreams, anyway!

Don

It's amazing how many of our friends go from one all inclusive resort to the next year after year isn't it when you think of all that's out there to see and explore. A sign of the times I suppose.

My own personal goals are a South African photo Safari and the ancient middle east.

It's amazing how many of our friends go from one all inclusive resort to the next year after year isn't it when you think of all that's out there to see and explore. A sign of the times I suppose.......................................

In that respect, Scuba 02 are in that class. We have found our paradise, (All Inclusive), and will be going back again this winter. This will be our 8th or 9th time to the same resort. We love the sun, we love the diving, we love the island and we love the people. We get service second to none.

Why do we keep going back??????? We have done just about all the islands down south and we believe we have found the one that suits our needs.....at this time in our lives.

There comes a time where the amenities of life are important and the comfort of knowing one is not that far from "Home Plate" should something go wrong.

We were very fortunate in that we did have the opportunity, as did the kids, to see many parts of the world while I was employed in DND and the Airline Industry. We like to go away now and unpack once and repack for the trip home once. :biggrin1:

I don't want to live in a tent, nor do I want to worry about the water and the bathroom facilities as well as what I eat and drink..........I don't want to carry a ton of tickets and stand in line at airports....and wonder if I'm getting on (SA). :angry_smile: We buy full fair "J"/Club Class and we enjoy being pampered. I want all the comforts of home BUT I don't want Scuba 02 to have to do anything except enjoy the time we have away. Yes, it costs a bit more but I have yet to see a Brinks truck following a hearse.

Yes, it has a lot to do with age....you youngn's go for all those funny named countries and enjoy them............., been there-done that........now it is sun and water for the time we have left and if all goes well we will celebrate year 48 at about -80 feet MSL !!! :Grin-Nod:

I hear you Kip.

I bought a timeshare myself 5 or 6 years ago near Disney World with the same intention in mind (comfort and convenience) down the road. I;ve only used it once myself so far but expect I'll use it more and more in the future or more likely trade it for one in a more pleasant / relaxing locale.. For the time being I just loan it out to friends and family so all the ones who want it can have a cheap disneyland vacation at a nice resort. .

When I wrote that post you're referring to, I was thinking of some very well to do friends and a few others with kids whose annual travel has only been to the beach resorts down south. When I ask their kids about their experiences they have a hard tme differentiating one resort ftom another. I understand why the parents go that route but personally think it's a missed opportunity for the kids.

Thanks Malcolm. .I like Europe because with parks, architecture, history, transit and free sights it's really easy to do on the cheap especially out of the large urban areas. Still though - Japan does sound interesting and I'm suspecting we'd have a hoot with the cultural differences The girls are easy to please so we should manage OK and getting there should be easy enough. I'll put it to them and try to sell it as destination option/

Alberta has a lot to offer allright but I think I'll leave it to my sister - she has friends and contacts out there.

eg. don't expect western style toilets at the shrine but do expect to be welcome) Perfect :thumbup:

CanadaEh - Cambodia sounds interesting. I'll look at it but suspect using buddy passes whie travelling with 2 young girls that are not my own and have divorced parents could easily turn into a real customs and immigration headache.

Just remember my information is dated,

Well if the toilets have been westernized - where's the fun in that? I was already anticipating the horrified looks on their faces. :Grin-Nod:

You could try Petra in Jordan and then a relatively short flight down to Kenya or Tanzania for a safari. They easily match South Africa for safaris and are closer. Or do SA with a safari and the Capetown, which is brilliant (you can cage dive with the Great Whites of so inclined :) )

A while back, we rented a houseboat on the canals in France with three other couples. We had such a fabulous time, we went back again a couple years later so that we could take the kids. (They were in grades 9 and 10 at the time.)

It was an incredible experience both times.

Although it was quite a while ago, and I can't speak to the present quality of service, the boat company we used at the time was very well run and professional.

http://www.connoisseurafloat.com/

My nieces are about the same age. Do you remember Which regions you tried and did you get much interaction with locals?

Any issue with the kids safety?

A while back, we rented a houseboat on the canals in France with three other couples. We had such a fabulous time, we went back again a couple years later so that we could take the kids. (They were in grades 9 and 10 at the time.)

It was an incredible experience both times.

Although it was quite a while ago, and I can't speak to the present quality of service, the boat company we used at the time was very well run and professional.

http://www.connoisseurafloat.com/

Connoisseur was taken over by a UK company a couple of years ago. You can look for current info here http://www.leboat.co.uk/?DCMP=ILC-CNSR-LB-link

Following on Kip's example of young 'uns coming back older and wiser, my sister's teens are in a Catholic school (in Belleville!). One has already been on the trip, the second is about to go: to the Dominican Republic. It is a well-chaperoned group; the kids go for about 2 weeks; they stay with a family when they are there. They see the state of the island. They learn humility.

When I was flying out of TLV, kids in that country were sent to Katowic in Poland for a three-day tour of Aushwitz. The kids that went were very different from the kids who returned.

Another option is to send your child to visit a relative or a trusted family friend. This was done by a friend of mine, the destination Jamaica, the trusted family friends trusted to the extreme.

Bottom line - give your child the vote of confidence to take the trip, and they will return it to you in spades. They will make you proud.

Archived